• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Fuchsdh

Perhaps not quite what i'd call a Definitive Edition but i guess it is not bad at all. (No, i don't know what would be needed for a "Definitive Edition".)

Still not sure if i'll get HW2. I did like HW1 a lot but i'm not quite sold on HW2. Getting HW1DE would be a nice bonus though. I could just play the 360 version but nowadays low resolution (<1080p) and framerate (which isn't even even really IIRC) would frustrate me.

Realistically I expect if you're fine waiting a few months or a year they'll make HW DE a standalone buy instead of just a HW2 buy-in perk.

mo60

what the hell are these red loud splodey things people are leaving on the walls in Infection

What infection map(s) are you talking about?

I know there are some infection maps with an arclight hidden on the map somewhere. People are finding the arclight on these maps and shooting it against a wall which causes sparks to fly from the wall. This only works on certain walls on certain infection maps. It's a really annoying glitch even though it's funny.

I clicked the wrong thread.

Elzar is still ugly.

I have to correct myself from what I said earlier.

There were some really good PVP matches in Destiny I had.. all of them were with this guy.

sniped

get rekt juices

IMG_1008_zps8yzjyxch.jpg

None of my systems took that code, it looks weird.

That couch is used for interviews... Yep.

Who in god's name is still playing a Halo video game in the year 2017

Like even Frank can't be on that shit at this point

Good times

Any buzz about those Brute weapons found in the PC version of the game?

I'm curious if I should expect a big update in the future, or if they were prototyping Halo 6 stuff in the 5 engine and accidentally left it in.

Any buzz about those Brute weapons found in the PC version of the game?

I'm curious if I should expect a big update in the future, or if they were prototyping Halo 6 stuff in the 5 engine and accidentally left it in.
I think there's bound to be 2 Halo 5 updates this year.
1. Brute themed update as a Halo Wars 2 tie-in.
2. Halo 3 Anniversary update with helmets and hopefully Arena maps.

I would love to get a healthy helping of new, Arena maps.

Especially if they took more design cues from the Halo 2 and 3 era/style.

That warlords playlist is going to be a joke on so many levels. Can't wait for the farmers to get donged by the slightly more skilled farmers and stop playing.

REQ level changes are uh, okay- what?

Vehicles reduced energy cost:

Oni Gungoose to 3 from 4
Anti-Air Wraith stays the same REQ energy level but is more common in packs (modified to be Rare).
Banshee and Mantis to 5 from 6. (Note: should look at Mantis rarity, currently Ultra Rare)

Weapons reduced energy cost:

River of Light to 5 from 6.
Base Spartan Laser to 4 from 5.
All Turrets down by 1 EXCEPT Jorge's Chaingun and except level 2 turrets (no turrets become level 1).

Gonna be seeing a lot more Mantises, though it makes sense because the Scorpions also start at 6, and are better in every way except they can't teabag.

Banshees are bleh, but the default Banshee sucks so hopefully it won't be a clusterfuck.

The Oni gungoose should be deleted from the game.

Cheaper laser... good for OP Banshees but bye other vehicles.

EDIT: They should've upped the Answer to at least 7, and upped the other Banshees by 1. Or also deleted them from the game, because they are broke as fuck. Putting the fancy Magnums at 2 would also have been neat, since at 3 why aren't you using a BR?

mo60

That warlords playlist is going to be a joke on so many levels. Can't wait for the farmers to get donged by the slightly more skilled farmers and stop playing.

REQ level changes are uh, okay- what?

Gonna be seeing a lot more Mantises, though it makes sense because the Scorpions also start at 6, and are better in every way except they can't teabag.

Banshees are bleh, but the default Banshee sucks so hopefully it won't be a clusterfuck.

The Oni gungoose should be deleted from the game.

Cheaper laser... good for OP Banshees but bye other vehicles.

Since the spartan laser is now at a lower req level it should be slightly easier to mitigate the amount of wasps in the sky at the start of some warzone matches.

FyreWulff

What infection map(s) are you talking about?

I know there are some infection maps with an arclight hidden on the map somewhere. People are finding the arclight on these maps and shooting it against a wall which causes sparks to fly from the wall. This only works on certain walls on certain infection maps. It's a really annoying glitch even though it's funny.

some power station forge one. it sounded glitchy in the first place (oh god that sound it makes) so was wondering if was part of the gametype or someone sploitin

For some reason i'm imagining the Pit with better graphics.

Proabably because there are only a handful of Halo 3 4v4 maps worth remaking, then when you consider Halo 5's sandbox it's even less.

Trash 4v4 maps:
Construct - Lift camping, shit sighlines, shit map.
Epitaph - Shield door camping, seemingly unremarkable.
Foundry - Vanilla setup is trash.
Ghost Town - Get stuck on all of the things.
Isolation - Such a shit map that you're literally being ejected via a sphincter.
Orbital - Longest sat down and said, "fuck my shit up," Bungie replied, "Say no more."
Snowbound - Shield door camping, no redeeming features.

Redundant 4v4 Maps:
Heretic - It's Midship.
Assembly - It's Midship, but not fun.

Good 4v4 maps from 3:
Guardian - Wouldn't work in 5's sandbox.
Narrows - Could work in 5.
The Pit - Could work in 5.
Citadel - Could work in 5.
Cold Storage - Is synonymous with Halo CE.
Blackout - Wouldn't work in 5's sandbox and is synonymous with 2.
High Ground - No one-sided game types and isn't that great anyway.

So Halo 3 Anniversary CU will consist of Narrows, The Pit and Citadel, you've heard it here first.

Well I was wrong as those Halo 3 helmets are coming out on February 9th with no Halo 3 maps.

Woorloog

Banned
So Epitaph (at least it looks great), Snowbound and Guardian, got it.

You know they're gonna choose wrong maps just because.

Ghost Town could look nice with Halo 5 graphics but admittedly it isn't much of a map. Turf remake with Ghost Town looks and no stuff to get stuck on would be nice.

mo60

some power station forge one. it sounded glitchy in the first place (oh god that sound it makes) so was wondering if was part of the gametype or someone sploitin

Someone discovered the glitch a few week. I know what map you are talking.Both infected and survivors can die from the glitch.

Karl2177

I know Orbital wasn't the greatest in Halo 3, but I bet it wouldn't be too bad in Halo 5 with some slight modifications. Change the color schemes on the hallways so it's more obvious whether you're going to the lower or upper path and make the bottom path have some more cover, it wouldn't be too bad.

Woorloog

Banned
I know Orbital wasn't the greatest in Halo 3, but I bet it wouldn't be too bad in Halo 5 with some slight modifications. Change the color schemes on the hallways so it's more obvious whether you're going to the lower or upper path and make the bottom path have some more cover, it wouldn't be too bad.

Wasn't Orbital supposed to be larger map originally? With sections one could open and stuff.

As it is, it is kinda terrible. Linear hallways with little dodging space and cover aren't well suited for a MP map.

FyreWulff

Wasn't Orbital supposed to be larger map originally? With sections one could open and stuff.

As it is, it is kinda terrible. Linear hallways with little dodging space and cover aren't well suited for a MP map.

I think Longshore was the one that originally used to be bigger and also more open since it was built off the geometry of Hang Em High

I liked the concept of Orbital but maps that wrap in on themselves are hard to parse spatially for most players. It's why the more popular maps tend (not always) to be wide and spatially flat.

TCKaos

h5helmets-f583dcc3ce76481b82d963f2c3b01714.jpg

So, uh, I guess Pilot's visor isn't getting fixed? It looks broken, and it looked that way the last time it showed up.

Or is it supposed to look like that?

Oh well. Mark V Delta exists. It's not like the other helmets matter.

Also:

Vehicles reduced energy cost:

Oni Gungoose to 3 from 4
Anti-Air Wraith stays the same REQ energy level but is more common in packs (modified to be Rare).
Banshee and Mantis to 5 from 6. (Note: should look at Mantis rarity, currently Ultra Rare)

Weapons reduced energy cost:

River of Light to 5 from 6.
Base Spartan Laser to 4 from 5.
All Turrets down by 1 EXCEPT Jorge's Chaingun and except level 2 turrets (no turrets become level 1).

why is that black piece on the top of the recon helmet? ruins it :/ Sweet we are getting a maintenance update soon. pls fix everything ty.

Woorloog

Banned
I think Longshore was the one that originally used to be bigger and also more open since it was built off the geometry of Hang Em High

I liked the concept of Orbital but maps that wrap in on themselves are hard to parse spatially for most players. It's why the more popular maps tend (not always) to be wide and spatially flat.
Look at this. https://www.halopedia.org/Orbital
I remembered at least partially correctly, stuff got changed.

I love Longshore, one of my favorite BTB maps. Halo 3 fared much better in that regard. Avalanche and Longshore are the best big team maps in the Halo's history.

EYEL1NER

Ugh, that sinking feeling when the players populate into the lobby and half of them have the exact same uncommonly-seen emblem. CTF on Estuary. First thought: 'Okay, damn... These guys are all playing together as a team and are serious. They are gonna be coordinated and probably good.' Then after counting how many of them there are: 'Oh, there is only seven of them? Please let me be on their team, please let me be on their team, don't put me on the team full of randos, please let me be on their team...' Load the match and press the back (or whatever it is called on Xbone, the traditional 'select' button) button to view the lineup: 'Damn.'
I am not ranting against parties in general, or even ranting against this particular party (all were from some UCA Defense Command company and ran roughshod over my team, as expected). I'm just saying that it sucks when you see what I described above and you're like "Okay, hopefully this is over with quick."

I don't recall seeing anything recently about it so I assume it couldn't have happened recently, but has the hydra ever gotten a buff? I use to try to use them and couldn't really pick up kills with it, so I rarely grab one with the intention of using it on people. In the above match though I grabbed our hydra and stealth after both enemy vehicles were down and half the enemy team was assaulting out flag, so I started letting off shots. I picked up six kills pretty quickly with it before running out of ammo and was surprised to find that I was killing each person with with two direct shots (no splash damage), because I could have sworn it took three. Has it always been two-to-kill and I am just crazy?

EDIT: It's only one kill and one number out of many that we need, but I never thought I would be able to assist with the Buckle Up medals for the commendation. It was part of a Hat Trick as well, which might be the first time I've gotten three headshots with a sniper in a row across maybe all the Halo titles, lol. I also got a sweet Hail Mary with one of them. I shot a guy in a turret and it popped up the grenade medal and said "Hail Mary," so I need to watch that one and see what really went down (CORRECTION: The Hail Mary medal came from a DMR kill on a guy on a turret at the same time he got hit by a Wasp's missiles). A match with three headshots, one splatter, and one buckle up isn't THAT great compared to a lot of people's contributions to the company (I'm able to land one ground pound that results in a kill something like every 50 matches?), but it's something at least.

Still waiting for 1080p 60FPS Halo 3 ODST Firefight with online matchmaking.

also from the ODST PAX panel they did, at one point the Mythic maps were planned to also be part of campaign spaces in ODST somewhere, but the idea got cut. the idea is leftover as the bonus ending taking place on Orbital.

Oh, I didn't know this.. I wonder how far along that idea was before it was cut.

Proabably because there are only a handful of Halo 3 4v4 maps worth remaking, then when you consider Halo 5's sandbox it's even less.

Trash 4v4 maps:
Construct - Lift camping, shit sighlines, shit map.
Epitaph - Shield door camping, seemingly unremarkable.
Foundry - Vanilla setup is trash.
Ghost Town - Get stuck on all of the things.
Isolation - Such a shit map that you're literally being ejected via a sphincter.
Orbital - Longest sat down and said, "fuck my shit up," Bungie replied, "Say no more."
Snowbound - Shield door camping, no redeeming features.

Redundant 4v4 Maps:
Heretic - It's Midship.
Assembly - It's Midship, but not fun.

Good 4v4 maps from 3:
Guardian - Wouldn't work in 5's sandbox.
Narrows - Could work in 5.
The Pit - Could work in 5.
Citadel - Could work in 5.
Cold Storage - Is synonymous with Halo CE.
Blackout - Wouldn't work in 5's sandbox and is synonymous with 2.
High Ground - No asymmetric game types and isn't that great anyway.

So Halo 3 Anniversary CU will consist of Narrows, The Pit and Citadel, you've heard it here first.
I enjoyed Construct quite a bit. Never understood the hate.

Karl2177

Still waiting for 1080p 60FPS Halo 3 ODST Firefight with online matchmaking.

Oh, I didn't know this.. I wonder how far along that idea was before it was cut.
I'm guessing it was cut some time around January or February 2009. That's when Halo Wars released with the first round of Mythic maps and with them, Orbital. Although it could have been much earlier because iirc 'Moonlight Sonata' was originally intended to be a Mythic map and it got bumped up to the Legendary pack. Moonlight Sonata ended up being Blackout.

Top Bottom