• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Oh the covenant at its prime couldn't kill these dudes? We definitely can through the power of hope, rainbows and love! ZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

You sure we were watching the same thing? Or did you have Care Bears playing in the background? I can see how you can be confused. There's a lot of overlap between the two franchises.

JDB

Banned
Covies at their prime didn't kill humans either, despite their lesser tech...
because an entire species spanning half the galaxy equals one dude and his army
You sure we were watching the same thing? Or did you have Care Bears playing in the background? I can see how you can be confused. There's a lot of overlap between the two franchises.
He basically said nothing that made any sense. This AI is telling me this brute and his army are gods and destroy anything in their path and we don't stand a chance, especially not with an old ship and half thew crew remaining. But because courage we will win anyway because video game writing!

He basically said nothing that made any sense. This AI is telling me this brute and his army are gods and destroy anything in their path and we don't stand a chance, especially not with an old ship and half thew crew remaining. But because courage we will win anyway because video game writing!

Maybe they all die at the end only to send the ai adrift to the infinity or some shit. Who knows lulz if you dont like video game narratives then the door is always open.

To be fair, the AI is UNSC logistics working with scientists and a bare bones deployment of soldiers, of course she's freaked. And the Spirit of Fire survived an Arbiter, the Covenant, and the Flood. I think they have the rep to be a little Hoo Ra lol

It's a video game campaign. Next you'll be telling me having a bigger and badder villain each season of DBZ makes no sense.

Atriox is infinitely cooler than Didact or Warden Eternal, to be fair anything is better than the Warden.
I really liked the idea of the Didact, but the execution in H4 was poor. And that's putting it lightly.
343i is well aware of the poor reception of 5's campaign. They should be equally aware that people loved Hunt the Truth and Halo Wars 2 has a positive reception so far, hopefully this will influence 6 in significant way.
They were aware of what people disliked with Halo 4 (trying to take on more than they could handle), yet we still got Halo 5. Many of us were skeptical going into Halo 5 for that very reason. I remember specifically posting about everything Halo 5 needed to touch on, things that should have required heavy attention. For example:

• Arbiter returning
  • Halsey
  • Palmer
  • Laskey
  • Spartan Ops missions and how the end plays into H5
  • Chief reuniting with Blue Team
  • Each character from Blue Team getting the attention they deserve
  • A brand new protagonist (Locke)
  • Fireteam Osiris
  • What happens to Cortana
  • Forerunners
  • Escalation comics showing the Didact, so surely he'll be mentioned in H5
  • Space Jesus Chief
  • etc. etc. etc.
These things were on the minds of many, but with how poorly H4's story was executed, there was little confidence that 343 could pull it off. And well.. we saw how it played out.

Right now it feels even crazier going into Halo 6 than it did for Halo 5, so either 343 has to cover everything successfully (chances are that's not realistic to expect) or they have to blow us away with something else that takes us down a different, unexpected path. So as of right now I'll remain skeptical for H6, but regardless I'm excited to see how it plays out, as I'll probably always be.

Madness

I think they will go the Cerberus ME3 ane CoG Gears 4 route with H6 and have us fight AI created and tons and tons of new robot enemies. There would be new weapons sure, but so far, 343 has really underwhelmed at designing new and meaningful enemy encounters. I hated every aspect of the Prometheans in H4 and in H5 while they did fix a lot of the Crawler and Watcher and Knight issues, fighting soldiers with their teleportation just isn't fun. So here is hoping Cortana and the Created open up for some pretty fun FPS designs. They can borrow from the best of Destiny and Gears 4 for enemy fighting styles and design.

Technically with Didact dead, Warden dead, and Requiem being shot into the sun, hopefully the Prometheans are done for good.

Fuck the over saturation of power weapons in this game. Mercy needs a grenade launcher and a overshield. Beam rifle, SAW and hammer is an awful idea .

Trup1aya

Refuse to believe raising wasp level by one improves warzone in any way.

Its a pretty big change. Before, half of a team could reach level 3 during the opening assualt + first base capture. So within the opening minutes, you could have 6 Wasps swarming.

By pushing it back to 4, you give the opposing team more time to get the reqs required to counter that strat.

Now by the time a team is calling in wasps plasma pistols and BRs have already been in play. Then at lvl 4 kinect bolt BRs and Berserker Claws are also in play.

Woorloog

Banned

The Covenant Schism didn't help them.

Covies are very, very incompetent. That is abundantly clear. Which is what happens when political leadership dictates military strategy; IIRC the Prophets protracted the war in order to secure their own power (and presumably to prepare for the Schism, so near the end of the war the Covies weren't even using all their assets (namely Brutes), so not quite their prime there).

Presumably, Atriox warband is far smaller than human sphere, and far more mobile. Assuming Atriox fought with hit and run attacks, basically guerrilla warfare, eliminating him would be very difficult, especially while fighting humans at the same time. Plus Atriox should logically have Covie's tech helping him, like, if he had access to those stealth pylons Covies used on Reach, finding him would be even more difficult.
Of course, this would not make Atriox a military genius, rather he'd just be lucky. Wars are usually lost by losers, not won by winners (meaning, the loser makes more tactical and strategic mistakes).

That said, my assumption is correct, characterizing Atriox as a massive threat would be an overstatement. But overselling an enemy is not uncommon in fiction, good guys tend to win no matter what... Halo is pretty guilty of this already though.

wwm0nkey

Warden Eternal is such a fucking lame last boss for Firefight, I didn't like fighting more than 1 in the campaign, why the hell would you put 3 at once in Firefight? Its just not fun

off-off:

Denuvo Leaks

The interesting part:

"My name is Graeme Jennings and I\'m the Executive Producer on the Halo Wars brand at 343i (Microsoft). Would be grateful if someone can contact me in regards to Denuvo pricing etc."

Trup1aya

off-off:

Denuvo Leaks

The interesting part:

"My name is Graeme Jennings and I'm the Executive Producer on the Halo Wars brand at 343i (Microsoft). Would be grateful if someone can contact me in regards to Denuvo pricing etc."

Halo wars on Steam confirmed? Would be cool if it had Xbox live integration and all that jazz.

Is Denuvo necessaryfor a Win10 title? Kinda thought it was already fairly piracy proof?

Makes me think they intend to release it on other store fronts. Or at atleast considering it.

Trup1aya

Yeah, its not really needed for the Win10 Store I believe

Well there is nothing stopping Microsoft from releasing a UWP app on Steam, so hopefully at some point we see this.

MS always said they want UWPs distributed on other stores. This would be a good first.
An RTS definately needs wider exposure than Win10+xb1 would allow.

wwm0nkey

MS always said they want UWPs distributed on other stores. This would be a good first.
An RTS definately needs wider exposure than Win10+xb1 would allow.

I think at this E3 Microsoft is going to go full Xbox as a service mode and we will probably start seeing games pop up on Steam, thats the long game for Microsoft now

IHaveIce

Banned
Microsoft is not releasing their games on Steam sadly... eventhough that would be fantastic, the Win10 store is holding these games back. Wars 2 and H5 forge on steam would be crazy

I think at this E3 Microsoft is going to go full Xbox as a service mode and we will probably start seeing games pop up on Steam, thats the long game for Microsoft now

My joy would be indescribable.

Alternatively, I could see then setting the Xbox app as the client for Xbox gaming on PC, distributing their games as either UWP or Win32 through it.

I think that in Halo 6 343 should really attempt to refine their armor offering. The chest pieces are too indistinct and the helmets are... bad. Like, just bad.

Most of the helmets in Halo 4 and Halo 5 look like shitty Halloween costumes, thrown together mish-mashes of random shapes. They look nothing like military equipment from any remotely grounded sci-fi setting.

CHIEF BY ACCELERATING YOUR EVOLUTION VIA LIBRARIAN VISION QUEST AND SUBSEQUENT GENESONG ACTIVATION YOU ALONE HOLD THE POWER TO DEFEAT THE GIANT OWL-SHAPED POLICE ROBOTS CONTROLLED BY YOUR AI MADE OF YOUR MOM'S DEAD CLONE BRAIN

Trup1aya

Microsoft is not releasing their games on Steam sadly... eventhough that would be fantastic, the Win10 store is holding these games back. Wars 2 and H5 forge on steam would be crazy

They published Ori on steam and Win10. I think they would love to try to leverage their IP to get people to use the Win10 store. But failing that, they can get their MAU by selling more software and getting more XBL users, even if they have to surrender a cut to Valve.

To me it would make sense to sell games on both storefronts, but add value to win10 version with play anywhere.

wwm0nkey

They published Ori on steam and Win10. I think they would love to try to leverage their IP to get people to use the Win10 store. But failing that, they can get their MAU by selling more software and getting more XBL users, even if they have to surrender a cut to Valve.

To me it would make sense to sell games on both storefronts, but add value to win10 version with play anywhere.

yeah both storefronts makes a lot of sense, all they have to do is add a XBL validation check at the start of the game like they did with Happy Wars on Steam

Detective

I just wanna know, is there any logical reason for joining a finished game? A game where the enemy is attacking the core?

Is there any fucking logical reasons behind this matchmaking system of yours? Anything? If so, I really wanna hear it.

Over 15 years of gaming and I have never ever found a game this stupid. Ever.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I just wanna know, is there any logical reason for joining a finished game? A game where the enemy is attacking the core?

Is there any fucking logical reasons behind this matchmaking system of yours? Anything? If so, I really wanna hear it.

Over 15 years of gaming and I have never ever found a game this stupid. Ever.

There really is a lot of head scratchingly dumb stuff in the game. Stuff that, ok, somehow it slipped through the cracks, yet here we are well over a year later with this stuff. Some of it seems to be such easy fixes too. Its not just in game stuff either, some of the hcs decisions have been terrible.

When you put it like that...

What the fuck is going on with Halos story?

image.php

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What is the easiest way to check stats, such as total kills, total games, total play time, across all games (2 through 5)? Curious how my play time compates.

Madness

When you put it like that...

What the fuck is going on with Halos story?

Too many chefs in the kitchen and changing game play requiring story changes? Throughout it all you can tell what they're going for, but I think it is the small things that inevitably have larger repercussions. Spartan Ops was almost irrelevant for the story, Halsey amputation and revenge, Jul M'Dama and Janus Key. For example, look at the MCC advertising. "The seeds of our future are sown in his past". Locke and Arbiter discussing Chief in H2A cutscenes. The Halo 5 reveal trailer shows Chief rogue with a broken helmet with Cortana chip and he finds what we thought was a Sphinx now Guardian. I bet once Tim Longo brought on, and gameplay becomes a squad shooter ala Republic Commando, story changes to incorporate more than just Locke hunting Chief, they then need Blue Team to complement Osiris team etc.

The E3 Halo 5 gameolay video had a far more dynamic Chief hunt and Hunt the Truth advertising promised an almost one step aheas Chief, find clues as to why Chief did what he did etc. So by H5 launch, the story is vastly different than what they wanted.

Too many chefs in the kitchen and changing game play requiring story changes? Throughout it all you can tell what they're going for, but I think it is the small things that inevitably have larger repercussions. Spartan Ops was almost irrelevant for the story, Halsey amputation and revenge, Jul M'Dama and Janus Key. For example, look at the MCC advertising. "The seeds of our future are sown in his past". Locke and Arbiter discussing Chief in H2A cutscenes. The Halo 5 reveal trailer shows Chief rogue with a broken helmet with Cortana chip and he finds what we thought was a Sphinx now Guardian. I bet once Tim Longo brought on, and gameplay becomes a squad shooter ala Republic Commando, story changes to incorporate more than just Locke hunting Chief, they then need Blue Team to complement Osiris team etc.

The E3 Halo 5 gameolay video had a far more dynamic Chief hunt and Hunt the Truth advertising promised an almost one step aheas Chief, find clues as to why Chief did what he did etc. So by H5 launch, the story is vastly different than what they wanted.

I hate to blame one man, but I'm blaming one man. Dump Brian Reed.

Think there will be any mention of Chief in HW2 or nah?

Probably like one line that'll amount to "hey man, remember how John was the best of all of us?" and that'll be it. We might get some story convergence if we are lucky, but nothing too direct. That's my guess.

One thing to keep in mind is that the marketing material has never been 1:1 with the games, though. Remember that time Chief faked his own death, got held up by a Brute Chieftan in the middle of a warzone and then primed a plasma grenade?

Cranster

Banned
One thing to keep in mind is that the marketing material has never been 1:1 with the games, though. Remember that time Chief faked his own death, got held up by a Brute Chieftan in the middle of a warzone and then primed a plasma grenade?
Yup, the criticism people give 343i for Hunt The Truth is extremily biased considering it was actually connected to events that were occurring in or around Halo 5's timeline when the Believe trailers or even the ODST tv spot had no connection whatsoever to the in-game story/events.

Seventy70

This sucks. I wanted to revisit Halo 2 MP, but no one is playing in that playlist. SWAT seems to work, but everyone always has to choose Halo 3....

Is there any love for Halo at 343? Because they sure as hell aren't showing it. It feels as if no one there has touched the collection since launch. Such a shame. The least they could do is get rid of the voting and make it chance based so at least people get to play a variety of games rather than just 3 and 4.

Top Bottom