• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Of course folks who are "actual" HaloGAF peeps should have priority, but my question is if folks never play the game, why the hell would they care if they're in the company at this point?

Madness

Of course folks who are "actual" HaloGAF peeps should have priority, but my question is if folks never play the game, why the hell would they care if they're in the company at this point?

Good point. But equal question would be, if you have no problem playing with Redditors, inviting them to the company, for those who play daily, wouldn't it be easier to join another company, get the helmet and come back? You have probably carried this company the most ExWife so I know it sucks we're still so far from the helmet, but look at guys like Zeezbruh and other who joined a poopsocker company and got the helmet months back. I know at least 4 companies who were actively looking for players a few months back who now have the helmet. Still think that was best option.

Back to another point, my last match played was January 4th, it is crazy I haven't played Xbox in a month, but that is nowhere close to August like Gringo saying. I did try and play a few times weekly before that and especially back in december. But it has just been tough the past year. I wake up 430 am, come home 6pm, to have to sleep by 10pm just to have a decent sleep, and in the few hours I get, have to maintain the social, family life.

BizzyBum

524513f6_SPARTA.jpeg

The game straight up hitched/froze/whatever for half a second, denying my melee and AR bullet opportunity. My inputs didn't occur until it was done hitching even though I put them in earlier. I had the guy dead to rights. Trust me, that team was garbo.

Ok I get ya, ruined my chance at an overkill just now (yes I know I whiffed my first lunge, but I still should've got it)
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Sproglobber/video/26608302

mo60

Have you played warzone since they re-tiered the reqs on Friday. It's pretty damn fun tbh.

I went on a killng frenzy earlier in a warzone match using mostly the H2 Battle Rifle and one of the higher req level overshield power ups. Air vehicles are still really powerful, but the wasp problem has been reduced a bit.

Akai__

I wasn't sure if I could since it was "leaked" according to the video title.

This is NeoGAF and not Waypoint.

Anyways, I have watched it now and wished I didn't. That mid mission cutscene. Holy fucking shit. Looks like it was recorded at 343i or CA, because that is clearly a dev GT.

I think that in Halo 6 343 should really attempt to refine their armor offering. The chest pieces are too indistinct and the helmets are... bad. Like, just bad.

Most of the helmets in Halo 4 and Halo 5 look like shitty Halloween costumes, thrown together mish-mashes of random shapes. They look nothing like military equipment from any remotely grounded sci-fi setting.
haha i know we've beat the topic into the ground, but the keurig machine got me. It is really strange to have a game where the majority of the helmets look like ass or complete dysfunctional garbage tins. It really limits the diversity when you play, because people aren't choosing unique helmets. Instead, they're choosing the few helmets that keep their spartan from looking like butt. It's no wonder people are so desperate to get the achilles helm as it is one of the few better looking alternatives. Need some new artists or something for halo 6.

Just watched 'em. Good shit. Threadworthy, probably.

I will say this, splicing Atriox into the history as a threat to the covenant on par with humanity (and a significantly harder opponent, at that) does feel a little cheap, but damn if they didn't sell it. Any chance HW2's writers are working on 6?

Madness

I will say this, splicing Atriox into the history as a threat to the covenant on par with humanity (and a significantly harder opponent, at that) does feel a little cheap, but damn if they didn't sell it. Any chance HW2's writers are working on 6?

I honestly think the Atriox and HW2 story is better than H4 and H5. I wanted it for a while. Brutes that refused to accept humanity victory and also accept Elites and the collapse of the Covenant, maybe have a rogue faction regrouping on a planet and you would have to stop them. But this is really great so far. Don't feel it is any cheaper than humanity going from near extinction to galactic superpower, rebuilt everything and the Infinity and Spartan-IV program in 5 short years.

I really think Blur does a great job as well. Want to see their work more for H6.

I honestly think the Atriox and HW2 story is better than H4 and H5. I wanted it for a while. Brutes that refused to accept humanity victory and also accept Elites and the collapse of the Covenant, maybe have a rogue faction regrouping on a planet and you would have to stop them. But this is really great so far. Don't feel it is any cheaper than humanity going from near extinction to galactic superpower, rebuilt everything and the Infinity and Spartan-IV program in 5 short years.

I really think Blur does a great job as well. Want to see their work more for H6.

Ehhhhh not really what I meant. Atriox didn't "reject humanity's victory," he's been fighting the Covenant for a long while, and apparently rated as even more of a problem than we did. Which is pretty remarkable, considering. It's definitely a somewhat problematic retcon that this whole time, the Covenant were fighting a 2 fight war and losing one of them.

And seriously, humanity was never close to extinction, except from a long-term perspective. Regret literally stumbled across Earth, there were still plenty of colonies left. We had a massive industrial base, a wartime economy let loose, and a ton of brand-new Forerunner and Covenant tech. Rapid peacetime expansion isn't ridiculous at all.

On the other thing, I kind of doubt that Blur's doing the writing, but I would definitely want to get their... I don't know what the equivalent of "director" or "cinematography" is for animation, but that. Big issue with H5 cutscenes was that a lot of them were awkwardly framed and ended abruptly, or had other technical (not game-technical, film-technical) issues.

Velikost

Damn, publicly shaming me? Triggered.

When's the last time I played? I feel like it was less than two weeks ago. I don't hop on weekly cause all my friends have moved on to garbo Overwatch, and my couple attempts to get sessions going through here didn't result in anything. I always rank during the season though, and I play a fair amount of Firefight; I'll make sure to hop on this weekend and do that.

Going to need to get some REQ points for the fucking helmets anyways

See what this Achilles helmet has done to us, Stinkles? You're ruining a functionally dysfunctional family!
And seriously, humanity was never close to extinction, except from a long-term perspective.
Just because there may have technically been pockets of humanity elsewhere does not mean that "extinction" wasn't imminent. The threat to humanity's existence was real and very apparent, especially if they gathered intel from Earth on other locations.

See what this Achilles helmet has done to us, Stinkles? You're ruining a functionally dysfunctional family!

Just because there may have technically been pockets of humanity elsewhere does not mean that "extinction" wasn't imminent. The threat to humanity's existence was real and very apparent, especially if they gathered intel from Earth on other locations.

What I meant was more that humanity, as of the series end, wasn't teetering on the brink of imminent extinction. There were multiple fully industrialized worlds full of people. They would've unquestionably been wiped out had the Covenant taken Earth, but they didn't, and as such, provided a solid springboard for the UNSC's resurgence.

Damn, publicly shaming me? Triggered.

When's the last time I played? I feel like it was less than two weeks ago. I don't hop on weekly cause all my friends have moved on to garbo Overwatch, and my couple attempts to get sessions going through here didn't result in anything. I always rank during the season though, and I play a fair amount of Firefight; I'll make sure to hop on this weekend and do that.

Going to need to get some REQ points for the fucking helmets anyways

Catch up on the thread, you're fine :p

Fuchsdh

To be fair, Halo Wars actually offers a perfect spot to backfill this retcon in—Regret in talking with the Arbiter mentions they can't take all their ships to annihilate humanity because "it would leave us defenseless." What they'd be defenseless *against* is never actually specified.

We don't have a real timeline for the Banished, so that could be really all you need to fill it in.

Madness

What I meant was more that humanity, as of the series end, wasn't teetering on the brink of imminent extinction. There were multiple fully industrialized worlds full of people. They would've unquestionably been wiped out had the Covenant taken Earth, but they didn't, and as such, provided a solid springboard for the UNSC's resurgence.

I don't know. I mean if you remove 343 media and novelizations, stick strictly to the games or pre-343 novels, the Covenant glassed Reach, humanity's military might. They found Earth, overwhelmed the orbital defense grid and railroaded almost all city defenses. They were literally at the end. There may have been pockets of colonies and stations and ships. Near extinction is what I said. And yet in 5 years, humanity is cock of the walk, galactic superpower with more resources, technology, than ever before.

Compare and contrast Gears 4, where even 25 years after the Locust war, humanity still hasn't recovered. First Minister Jinn resorts to using deebees and automation to quickly build but beyond a few settlements, humanity is rural, feral, and most cities are still destroyed. I coul believe it if it was 50 years for H4 but it was barely 5. And I meamt Blur does a great job with their cinematics and direction. Would love to see them do a feature length Halo movie rather than have another real life show or movie. Can show so much more.

Fuchsdh

I don't know. I mean if you remove 343 media and novelizations, stick strictly to the games or pre-343 novels, the Covenant glassed Reach, humanity's military might. They found Earth, overwhelmed the orbital defense grid and railroaded almost all city defenses. They were literally at the end. There may have been pockets of colonies and stations and ships. Near extinction is what I said. And yet in 5 years, humanity is cock of the walk, galactic superpower with more resources, technology, than ever before.

Because humanity gets lucky. We find a huge trove of Forerunner stuff to augment our tech with, we've got a last-ditch supership to put it in (Infinity) and we have a chance to rebuild because the Covenant tears itself apart rather than fighting us. Even in the pre-343 era, part of the only reason we survive is because a lucky hit where a Nova bomb blows up half of the Elites' fleet.

I mean, it's entirely reasonable they could have done a story further out from the end of Halo 3 and incorporated stuff like what you did. But it's not like they broke the world in the process.

It is literally miles and mile better than Halo 5's cutscenes. No question. The direction, the pacing, the information they give. Perfection.

I was worried it would lose the magic of Halo Wars 1 cutscenes. Even in the relatively uneventful scenes it was still interesting, this is just as good if not better.

Yeah though, it's way better than Halo 5's scenes, it's grounded, Spartans look awesome, it's Halo.

I was worried it would lose the magic of Halo Wars 1 cutscenes. Even in the relatively uneventful scenes it was still interesting, this is just as good if not better.

Yeah though, it's way better than Halo 5's scenes, it's grounded, Spartans look awesome, it's Halo.

Yup. Hire the directors and have them work on 6. And the writers. And Blur. In fact, just bring everyone over.

I even appreciated that
they made the part with the Spartans escaping Atriox's forces playable instead of a cutscene.
Looking at you, opening of Halo 5....

To be fair, Halo Wars actually offers a perfect spot to backfill this retcon in—Regret in talking with the Arbiter mentions they can't take all their ships to annihilate humanity because "it would leave us defenseless." What they'd be defenseless *against* is never actually specified.

We don't have a real timeline for the Banished, so that could be really all you need to fill it in.
Too bad Halo 6 won't involve any of Halo Wars 2, presumably of course, but it'd be cool if they did something with that Halo 2 cutscene and included the Banished somehow.

Atriox appears to be the antagonist Halo's needed.

Fuchsdh

Too bad Halo 6 won't involve any of Halo Wars 2, presumably of course, but it'd be cool if they did something with that Halo 2 cutscene and included the Banished somehow.

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes into play. Honestly there's a ton of different directions they could go with Halo 6; given that it seems weird to upend the status quo of the universe with the Created and then immediately solve the issue I figure we'll be mixing it up with plenty of enemies before dealing with Cortana proper, maybe that's where the Banished fit in. Have to see where Halo Wars 2 leaves everyone.

Only thing that really bothers me about the new graphics and style is that Anders just looks off to me, and her VA just isn't as good IMO. Everyone else seems pretty solid though.

wwm0nkey

I just watched the HW2 2nd mission into scene.....343 hire who ever wrote Halo Wars 2 and did the art and bring them on for the future Halo games...please...that was soooo good.

Atriox is infinitely cooler than Didact or Warden Eternal, to be fair anything is better than the Warden.

343i is well aware of the poor reception of 5's campaign. They should be equally aware that people loved Hunt the Truth and Halo Wars 2 has a positive reception so far, hopefully this will influence 6 in significant way.

I just watched the HW2 2nd mission into scene.....343 hire who ever wrote Halo Wars 2 and did the art and bring them on for the future Halo games...please...that was soooo good.

Second mission intro sold me on this whole thing. I mean shit,
Cutter's speech? Boss as fuck.

Top Bottom