• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

jem0208

Of course, you have the perfect Halo copy and ours are broken.
Or... we know barely anything about the heavy aim other than its some form of input lag and the fact that 343 released a patch supposedly fixing it. The idea that it was linked to server ping is purely speculation.

The whole thing is a bit questionable, there's no real way of quantifying it and some people were convinced that opening and closing the menu fixed it.

I think it's more likely that the people who still have a problem with it are experiencing a placebo effect frankly.

On a less '343 apologist' note, I literally can't find a game of BTB right now which is depressing. Hopefully the xbox game pass thing boosts the population a bit.

Detective

Or... we know barely anything about the heavy aim other than its some form of input lag and the fact that 343 released a patch supposedly fixing it. The idea that it was linked to server ping is purely speculation.

The whole thing is a bit questionable, there's no real way of quantifying it and some people were convinced that opening and closing the menu fixed it.

I think it's more likely that the people who still have a problem with it are experiencing a placebo effect frankly.

On a less '343 apologist' note, I literally can't find a game of BTB right now which is depressing. Hopefully the xbox game pass thing boosts the population a bit.

Get off your high horse man, When lots of people says that they have a problem
dont write them as a placebo effect because you dont have it. I told you before, Just because you dont have a problem does not mean there is any. I have friends cross the globe who plays the game and most of them are reporting the same thing, So all of them are wrong and you with the perfect bought Halo are right? Just stop sucking, We are all here for Halo and when there is a problem we report it so the dev can look into it to make the game better for everyone.

Ive put now close to 80 days of play time on Halo 5 or more, Same goes for my friends so we are familiar with all these issues.

havent posted in a halo thread for ages - was just talking to someone about halo nostalgia and am now listening to the odst soundtrack

Still so good

Wow also seeing the change notes is interesting - making the sniper harder is a good thing - the easy mode sniper in reach onwards has just been bleh

I'm intrigued by the new radar

IHaveIce

Banned
The heavy aim was fixed for me with the last patch.

Framestutters through pressing start are bad or freezing issues.

But the aim seems to be fixed for me aswell

Haruko

Been playing Zelda, but I'll be back on Halo tomorrow for some more grinding (and to try out that Proving Grounds/new radar)

Cranster

Banned
Is Proving Grounds just gonna' replace Arena like previous preview playlists?
I hope so. The new motion tracker sounds terrible with the exception of it's increased range.

Needless to say I wish 343i would just start making decent maps rather than constantly tweaking excisting maps weapon placements because the pro's are never happy.

jem0208

I hope so. The new motion tracker sounds terrible with the exception of it's increased range.

Needless to say I wish 343i would just start making decent maps rather than constantly tweaking excisting maps weapon placements because the pro's are never happy.
Whut?

wat.

24 HOURS TILL PROVING GROUNDS LETS GOOOOO

We don't actually know this.

I haven't felt any heavy aim since that patch a while back. Pretty sure people still complaining about it are feeling placebos.

We pretty much do man. Some people also can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60. There was a big waypoint thread on this but I can't find it.

Also go look up summit1g's twitch reboradcast where he says the aiming still blows but it is slightly better after the update. This is a GAME issue across platforms. I'm literally envious you can't notice, I would kill for that.

Trup1aya

Wtf?

BizzyBum

raw

Detective

wat.

24 HOURS TILL PROVING GROUNDS LETS GOOOOO

We pretty much do man. Some people also can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60. There was a big waypoint thread on this but I can't find it.

Also go look up summit1g's twitch reboradcast where he says the aiming still blows but it is slightly better after the update. This is a GAME issue across platforms. I'm literally envious you can't notice, I would kill for that.

Placebo....

Cranster

Banned
Yeah, Classic Halo motion tracker > CoDified motion tracker. The fact of the matter is that the motion tracker is not what creates issues with map flow and camping, rather it comes down to the map and weapon layout. 343i's map design is overly complicated and needs to be more simplified and streamlined like in Halo 1, 2 and 3. EDIT: Some of the maps in Halo 5 are also too small, Molten is a great example of that. If it was a larger map than it currently is it could have worked. Unfortunately because of it's size spawn camping is a very common occurrence and forces players on the defensive to camp.

Trup1aya

Yeah, Classic Halo motion tracker > CoDified motion tracker. The fact of the matter is that the motion tracker is not what creates issues with map flow and camping, rather it comes down to the map and weapon layout. 343i's map design is overly complicated and needs to be more simplified and streamlined like in Halo 1, 2 and 3. EDIT: Some of the maps in Halo 5 are also too small, Molten is a great example of that. If it was a larger map than it currently is it could have worked. Unfortunately because of it's size spawn camping is a very common occurrence and forces players on the defensive to camp.

The classic motion tracker immediately gives an immobile player an advantage over players who are moving. To say it doesn't create issues with camping as silly.

Map design can help, but as long as there are walls and radar, a person camping behind the wall will have an advantage over someone moving near it.

H1,2, and 3 had the same issues.

Removing or nerfing the radar robs the would-be camper of the vital information he relies on: the exact location of his target. This instantly makes camping a less effective strategy- so people won't do it.

Fuchsdh

The classic motion tracker immediately gives an immobile player an advantage over players who are moving. To say it doesn't create issues with camping as silly.

Map design can help, but as long as there are walls and radar, a person camping behind the wall will have an advantage over someone moving near it.

H1,2, and 3 had the same issues.

Removing or nerfing the radar robs the would-be camper of the vital information he relies on: the exact location of his target. This instantly makes camping a less effective strategy- so people won't do it.

I mean, this is what the update does. You have a greater range, but the motion tracker isn't reporting "normal" player movement, meaning you're invisible unless you're either firing or using advanced mobility (sprint, thrust, etc.)

Honestly as someone who is in the team motion tracker pool I'm not really sure how I feel about the change, because I feel like for non-competitive situations I'd much rather have the classic motion tracker, and for the situation we're talking about here if the motion tracker is a big issue than just removing it seems the better option.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Super excited for this tweaked radar, really hope it works out. Only thing that I'm iffy about is the increased range and clamber showing up, but of course keeping an open mind. I think it's really going to upset the has apple cart for next season if implemented.

The fact of the matter is that the motion tracker is not what creates issues with map flow and camping
Sorry, this is not a fact.

I'm glad the tone/reaction towards radar nerfs has changed over time. For years, having these discussions was P A I N F U L.. Think of the torture I've been through since 2004, guys. THINK OF ME AND MY SUFFERING! Couple that with people calling for Halo 3 BR nerfs for several years and the many other nonsensical things Halo fans get behind; it leads to years of questioning your own existence..
like SWAT.

I have a feeling splinter nades have been toned down, anyone else noticed this?

I've nailed some opponents flush today and all survived.

Trup1aya

I mean, this is what the update does. You have a greater range, but the motion tracker isn't reporting "normal" player movement, meaning you're invisible unless you're either firing or using advanced mobility (sprint, thrust, etc.)

Honestly as someone who is in the team motion tracker pool I'm not really sure how I feel about the change, because I feel like for non-competitive situations I'd much rather have the classic motion tracker, and for the situation we're talking about here if the motion tracker is a big issue than just removing it seems the better option.

I'm aware that's what this update does. I'm explaining why his assessment doesn't make sense. The nerfed radar nueters camping because targets can move w/o being detected.

Removing radar completely it isn't the better option because Spartan abilities make defending oneself off-spawn nearly impossible. (It would work with no-sprint, but alas...) Players with a decent understanding of the spawn system can fly in and deal damage before a spawner can get oriented.

The extended range is likely squared at defense against Spartan charges.

I don't understand the logic that the classic motion tracker is somehow more friendly for non-competitive players. It encourages players of all skill levels to hide and wait for someone to run past them.

Fuchsdh

I'm aware that's what this update does. I'm explaining why his assessment doesn't make sense. The nerfed radar nueters camping because targets can move w/o being detected.

Removing radar completely it isn't the better option because Spartan abilities make defending oneself off-spawn nearly impossible. Players with a decent understanding of the spawn system can fly in and deal damage before a spawner can get oriented.

The extended range is likely squared at defense against Spartan charges.

I don't understand the logic that the classic motion tracker is somehow more friendly for non-competitive players. It encourages players of all skill levels to hide and wait for someone to run past them.

It's just muddying what the motion tracker actually does. Used to be very simple—moving at a regular speed meant you showed up, crouching doesn't. Now it's far less intuitive.

Trup1aya

It's just muddying what the motion tracker actually does. Used to be very simple—moving at a regular speed meant you showed up, crouching doesn't. Now it's far less intuitive.

It's just not what you're used to. I doubt it'll be confusing after a few games.

Still simple- move at regular speed means you don't show up, use a Spartan ability and you do.

havent posted in a halo thread for ages - was just talking to someone about halo nostalgia and am now listening to the odst soundtrack

Still so good

Wow also seeing the change notes is interesting - making the sniper harder is a good thing - the easy mode sniper in reach onwards has just been bleh

I'm intrigued by the new radar
Happy birthday stranger! I haven't played in a while myself. Im eager to see what is in the works for Halo 6. Maybe some e3 news who knows.

EYEL1NER

I'll have to maybe try the nerfed radar tomorrow. I still fully expect to dislike the change and not be for it, but I'll put some time in so I can get a feel for it and so I can leave honest feedback about it later on.

If you don't notice the problems with aiming in Halo 5 You are either
a) Have been playing on a 30+inch TV for its duration
b) Have shitty aiming across all First Person Shooters
c) A trash player

Pick One

You know what's not a placebo? Failing to load into this warzone match right now (infinite spinning circle black loading screen). So far since the new update, it's rarer, but confirmed still a problem. C'mon and fix your shit Stinkles.

jem0208

If you don't notice the problems with aiming in Halo 5 You are either
a) Have been playing on a 30+inch TV for its duration
b) Have shitty aiming across all First Person Shooters
c) A trash player

Pick One
Nope, nope and nope.

I felt the heavy aim before the patch. After the patch it was massively improved.

Trup1aya

Nope, nope and nope.

I felt the heavy aim before the patch. After the patch it was massively improved.

So your logic is that if it's gone for you, it must be gone for everyone else?

How do we know YOU aren't the one experiencing the placebo effect 🤔

jem0208

So your logic is that if it's gone for you, it must be gone for everyone else?

How do we know YOU aren't the one experiencing the placebo effect 🤔
Eh, possibly.

I just think that people have been going on so much about how the aiming is "broken" in this game that they can't accept an alternative. Everyone is subject to confirmation bias. If you flub a few shots it's much easier to blame the game than yourself. H5 requires a lot of mechanical dexterity, it's probably the most twitchy Halo game there is in terms of aiming. Players move very quickly and erratically and the pistol has a small amount of magnetism. Combining those makes it hard to aim.

Also, the sensitivity curves are a bit different in 5 compared to previous games. This doesn't mean they're broken, which is something a lot of people seem to claim, there's no definitive perfect sensitivity curve as far as I'm aware. That's definitely going to contribute to something feeling off if you've got muscle memory from years of other Halos.

Regarding the actual heavy aim, there's the problem that it's all based on feeling. If someone can come up with some concrete evidence showing that the input lag is distinctly worse in H5 than other games then fair enough I'll believe you.

Anyway, I realise this discussion isn't going anywhere so I'm gunna step back from jt.

Trup1aya

Eh, possibly.

I just think that people have been going on so much about how the aiming is "broken" in this game that they can't accept an alternative. Everyone is subject to confirmation bias. If you flub a few shots it's much easier to blame the game than yourself. H5 requires a lot of mechanical dexterity, it's probably the most twitchy Halo game there is in terms of aiming. Players move very quickly and erratically and the pistol has a small amount of magnetism. Combining those makes it hard to aim.

Also, the sensitivity curves are a bit different in 5 compared to previous games. This doesn't mean they're broken, which is something a lot of people seem to claim, there's no definitive perfect sensitivity curve as far as I'm aware. That's definitely going to contribute to something feeling off if you've got muscle memory from years of other Halos.

Regarding the actual heavy aim, there's the problem that it's all based on feeling. If someone can come up with some concrete evidence showing that the input lag is distinctly worse in H5 than other games then fair enough I'll believe you.

It would take a pretty complex setup to prove heavy aim.

I admittedly haven't experienced it in a while but i did do an experiment back when i had the problem frequently: I loaded up a btb match, and just ran around until i noticed my aim get heavy.

Then got in a ghost and held the right thumb stick to the right. The camera should have been zipping around quickly, but it wasn't- it was turning at a snails pace, like i was submerged in molasses.

Interestingly when i moved the thumbstick to the left, i didn't have the issue. The camera would do a 360 in no time.

I paused the game. Resumed. Moved stick to the right. It rotated just add quickly as when i held it to the left.

I turned the game off repeated with a different controller. Same results.

I did this same thing several times on different maps.

It only ever effected me when trying to aim to the right, which made aiming feel extra squirrelly because i had to compensate symmetrically depending on where my target was.

Finally, i restored my sensitivity and acceleration settings to default, and i couldn't replicate the problem. Then i put my settings back to where they were and i still couldn't replicate it. Haven't noticed it since.

I think the issue has to do with a bug in the advanced options they implemented in response to people not liking h5s default curves. But I'm just pulling that out of my nether regions.

The default curves are wonky though. XIM did an extensive post on their forum about how strange h5s aiming system is, which made it tough to make a default XIM profile.

TheOddOne

- Gamesutra: Designer Interview: Getting Titanfall's controls just right.
But in sculpting the game’s actual feel, developer Respawn was also looking back to another classic, Halo: Combat Evolved. “It’s still the gold standard,” says senior software engineer Rayme Vinson. As he began to block out the controls for the game that would become Titanfall, he’d load up Halo’s first level and play its first encounter over and over again, killing off all the AI apart from a single grunt. “Then I could dance around him and see what [Bungie] did,” he says, noting the way Halo’s crosshair is lower than the center of the screen so you can see more of the world, how it deals with aim-assist, and how its stable view as you walk gets across a sense of Master Chief’s indomitability.

The team didn’t adopt all Halo’s lessons by any means. For instance, Titanfall has view-bob to communicate an awareness of physical motion, but they wanted it to maintain some of Halo’s steadiness. “Intuiting from what they did, it seemed they had a big focus on making it so players could shoot the bad guys as easily as possible and not get motion sick, and not getting motion sick became a big part of Titanfall,” says multiplayer design lead Todd Alderman.

jem0208

It would take a pretty complex setup to prove heavy aim.

I admittedly haven't experienced it in a while but i did do an experiment back when i had the problem frequently: I loaded up a btb match, and just ran around until i noticed my aim get heavy.

Then got in a ghost and held the right thumb stick to the right. The camera should have been zipping around quickly, but it wasn't- it was turning at a snails pace, like i was submerged in molasses.

Interestingly when i moved the thumbstick to the left, i didn't have the issue. The camera would do a 360 in no time.

I paused the game. Resumed. Moved stick to the right. It rotated just add quickly as when i held it to the left.

I turned the game off repeated with a different controller. Same results.

I did this same thing several times on different maps.

It only ever effected me when trying to aim to the right, which made aiming feel extra squirrelly because i had to compensate symmetrically depending on where my target was.

Finally, i restored my sensitivity and acceleration settings to default, and i couldn't replicate the problem. Then i put my settings back to where they were and i still couldn't replicate it. Haven't noticed it since.

I think the issue has to do with a bug in the advanced options they implemented in response to people not liking h5s default curves. But I'm just pulling that out of my nether regions.

The default curves are wonky though. XIM did an extensive post on their forum about how strange h5s aiming system is, which made it tough to make a default XIM profile.
That is weird. Doesn't sound like it's related to heavy aim though. Still, very odd.

On a side note, on BTB/forge maps the fps drops are going to cause a form of heavy aim. That's unrelated to the aiming mechanics though.

I saw that xim post and I'm not convinced. That was referring to the sudden increase in sensitivity, ie the switch from aiming speed to looking speed. That is present in every Halo game (I went back and tested in each one), the difference in 5 was that the switch in speeds cut in earlier than in previous games. They did this before the advanced options were released. The outer deadzone option effectively fixed this as it allows you to choose where that switch happens. 0% is basically at max stick deflection.

Trup1aya

That is weird. Doesn't sound like it's related to heavy aim though. Still, very odd.

On a side note, on BTB/forge maps the fps drops are going to cause a form of heavy aim. That's unrelated to the aiming mechanics though.

I saw that xim post and I'm not convinced. That was referring to the sudden increase in sensitivity, ie the switch from aiming speed to looking speed. That is present in every Halo game (I went back and tested in each one), the difference in 5 was that the switch in speeds cut in earlier than in previous games. They did this before the advanced options were released. The outer deadzone option effectively fixed this as it allows you to choose where that switch happens. 0% is basically at max stick deflection.

I think what i experienced was heavy aim. Random periods of aiming through molasses that is temporarily fixed by pausing the game. I only used btb maps to start with because it's easy to see the change in camera speed when in a ghost. I tested on dev maps too same results.

The xim post was about the bizarre default settings and slope of the curves. H5 accelerates early and more rapidly than previous games, so it doesn't feel good and it was tough for xim to create a profile to normalize it.

The advanced settings didn't 'fix' anything. It allowed users to tweak where the point between look and turn is located. But they can't control the default shape of the curve. Also you can't expect all users to be able to figure it out. I also think adjusting the advanced settings introduced the bug wet m we call heavy aim.

Woorloog

Banned
Uh, isn't the Halo 1 reticule centered? It only dropped for H3 and on.

gfs_5872_2_11.jpg
Dropped for H2 and onwards.

Re:heavy aim. Halo 5 felt like shit until i removed death zones and tweaked sensitivity. And i mean shit, i can't recall another game where turning/camera controls felt so bad.
Or is this heavy aim a separate issue even?

Trup1aya

Dropped for H2 and onwards.

Re:heavy aim. Halo 5 felt like shit until i removed death zones and tweaked sensitivity. And i mean shit, i can't recall another game where turning/camera controls felt so bad.
Or is this heavy aim a separate issue even?

That's a different issue. There are 3 main issues:

1) Massive default deadzones
2) Strange Acceleration curves between the 'look' and 'turn' regions
3) Heavy Aim- the game will suddenly feel unresponsive regardless of your sensitivity settings

Allowing users to control deadzones gave us the ability to minimize the impact of the 2nd issue.

There isn't a concensus that the 3rd issue even exists.
but it does

Woorloog

Banned
I can't say i definitively felt something even after getting rid of the dead zone issue but i do think all games from MCC control considerably better than Halo 5. I would not describe it as "sudden", more like "just not as good as previous Halos". Could have been heaviness, now that i think of this.

(H5's poor controlling was pretty shocking considering Halo 4 didn't have issues like that. Like, what the hell?)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Had a match last night and one dude was teleporting all over the place. Guess he unlocked the promethean Spartan ability.

TCKaos

Anyone know if they've handed out Timmy helmets this week? They said in one update they weren't doing it that week, then the next week I had 50 hours, and I haven't gotten it this week yet.

Halo 5 aim is still heavy / wonky for me.

Only REALLY noticed it once I started playing H5:Forge customs on PC - aim is PERFECT on there [and I'm like twice as good as a result].

Still heavy as fuck on xbone for me :/

[playing with same gamepad settings across both platforms as well]

belushy

Banned
Halo 5 aim is still heavy / wonky for me.

Only REALLY noticed it once I started playing H5:Forge customs on PC - aim is PERFECT on there [and I'm like twice as good as a result].

Still heavy as fuck on xbone for me :/

[playing with same gamepad settings across both platforms as well]

Yup, for some reason controller aiming on the pc is damn near flawless.

Top Bottom