• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

EeTfian.png

OpTic Gaming proving again that they are the best Halo team on the world, this tournament was awesome IMO the best in terms of matches on the history of Halo 5

343 better work their butts off to make a larger number of quality maps for halo 6 than what we have in 5. Really sad when I turn on hcs and it feels like the same 3 to 4 maps are being cycled since launch. And no more alternate versions of the same map. Such a bad idea.

MORE gametypes are badly needed IMO.
I really cant stand that current bunch of gametypes anymore... Slayer, Strongholds and Flag... yaaawn

Add Bomb,, Koth and Oddball.

TCKaos

Kaos leaves, and we get two rally races in a row.

405 more Splatters, so that's eight-ish games? Four if we get a full party?

Also, if luck works in your favor, you can probably get 15-20+ Spartan Charges per Minotaurs match. So like 122 of those to go, but we usually get that many in Crazy King and Diminishing King, too.

Fuchsdh

Also, if luck works in your favor, you can probably get 15-20+ Spartan Charges per Minotaurs match. So like 122 of those to go, but we usually get that many in Crazy King and Diminishing King, too.

Yeah, you guys are wrecking the mini games :) . At this rate Marines are still a big grind, but in terms of actually finishing off commendations the "Buckle Up" is the only one we've got a >60 day window for right now.

EDIT: And Waypoint peeps actually had a useful definition for the medal, which explains the Wasp:
Any sniper weapon (sniper rifle, beam rifle, etc...)
Driver must be sniped with vehicle intact.
Passengers count (riding shotgun or on any turret)
If there are passengers, destroying vehicle with a sniper weapon will give you a Buckle Up for each passenger but not the driver.
Destroying a single person vehicle with a sniper weapon (ghosts, wraiths, scorpions, etc) you will not get a Buckle up.
With the exception of the Wasp. Destroying that vehicle with a sniper class weapon will give you a buckle up medal.

Since they get called in so often and they are aerial going for Wasps might be my best chance to actually contribute :p

EYEL1NER

I think I've maybe gotten one Buckle Up? Sniping in Halo isn't really my bag, so I rarely ever go for the sniper. That proves to be a mistake though because sometimes no one else will go for it and the enemy team will wind up with two of them and wreck face.

wwm0nkey

I could never put my finger about what exactly bothered me about Halo 5's elite design and the Arbiter design, but this video I saw on /r/Halo does a pretty good job at articulating that.

Trup1aya

Legit didn't know these gametypes were good for those commendations.

How are you getting splatters in Race?

Legit didn't know these gametypes were good for those commendations.

How are you getting splatters in Race?

You just go to the first checkpoint past the starting line, ram into each other so that shields are damaged, get out of your hog, the gametype auto-kills you, you both get a splatter, and respawn at that checkpoint. Repeat until game ends.

EDIT: And for the ghost race type, you just have one person "present" to another and that other person shoots your spartan (not the ghost because that takes too long) and gets a ghost kill. You'll respawn at the starting line (or whatever checkpoint) and they can kill you again right away. We take turns "presenting" each game though for Arena k/d's sake :)

We had awesome series this event. I don't know how people can think it is boring just because one team is really fucking good.

I mean their series with Liquid weren't curbstomps either

No the event was great, and there were some great match ups... The strongholds comebacks stains NV were awesome.
OG shat on everyone they played, the final was boring imo.

IHaveIce

Banned
MORE gametypes are badly needed IMO.
I really cant stand that current bunch of gametypes anymore... Slayer, Strongholds and Flag... yaaawn

Add Bomb,, Koth and Oddball.

And.. if there is one thing we should get back from Halo 4 it is Extraction.

One of the best competitive new invented gametypes.

I'm fine with 343's art style in terms of natural environment, but the factions look so much better in Bungie games. Both UNSC and Covenant lost something. The UNSC should be space marines, not space power rangers(for fuck sake quit putting the UNSC logo on everything). Elites should be slender and quick killers, not brooding meatheads. Jackals and Elites got homogenized into a reptilian creature that doesn't look all that different outside of armor.

Extraction would be great. I like 343i game types more than some of the shit Bungie came up with.

Richochet, Strongholds and Extraction are better than Headhunter or Stockpile.

Invasion is better than Warzone or Warzone assault. However, Invasion never got proper support. Imagine Halo 6 Arena, BTB, Firefight and a properly suppported Invasion all under Halo 5's great gameplay.

I'm fine with 343's art style in terms of natural environment, but the factions look so much better in Bungie games. Both UNSC and Covenant lost something. The UNSC should be space marines, not space power rangers(for fuck sake quit putting the UNSC logo on everything). Elites should be slender and quick killers, not brooding meatheads. Jackals and Elites got homogenized into a reptilian creature that doesn't look all that different outside of armor.

yo that video of Osiris vs Jul'dama and company made me cringe and laugh really bad. The elites barely even fought back. They looked like a grunt 2.0 but bigger. it was like a bad action 80s movie where the badguy stands there waiting for the hero to perform a move so they can react accordingly.

yo that video of Osiris vs Jul'dama and company made me cringe and laugh really bad. The elites barely even fought back. They looked like a grunt 2.0 but bigger. it was like a bad action 80s movie where the badguy stands there waiting for the hero to perform a move so they can react accordingly.

Like in the movie Commando? Yeah I agree that scene was very poor

Karl2177

Ricochet was so much fun, holy shit! It really needs to come back.

How does Extraction work again? Completely forgot about it.
Technically you can recreate ricochet right now. The problem is a lot of fringe gametypes had different point values for different hills and you can't do that in Halo 5.

Technically you can recreate ricochet right now. The problem is a lot of fringe gametypes had different point values for different hills and you can't do that in Halo 5.

That's true. Didn't realize until my first game of Riftball that throwing the ball/bomb/whatever is actually still in.

It's not the same without Steitzer announcements though. :(

Trup1aya

You just go to the first checkpoint past the starting line, ram into each other so that shields are damaged, get out of your hog, the gametype auto-kills you, you both get a splatter, and respawn at that checkpoint. Repeat until game ends.

EDIT: And for the ghost race type, you just have one person "present" to another and that other person shoots your spartan (not the ghost because that takes too long) and gets a ghost kill. You'll respawn at the starting line (or whatever checkpoint) and they can kill you again right away. We take turns "presenting" each game though for Arena k/d's sake :)

Ok. I've actually seen people doing this in the ghost race, but it didn't even dawn in me that they were doing it for commendations.

What about Spartan Charges in minotaurs? How does that work?

Ok. I've actually seen people doing this in the ghost race, but it didn't even dawn in me that they were doing it for commendations.

What about Spartan Charges in minotaurs? How does that work?

A human player can spartan charge an infected player if the infected player gets out of their Mantis. The more people you have in your lobby the easier it is to work (because you need infected and human working together), but Kaos and I got a good amount even the couple times we've done it by ourselves.

You can't do different values? We were playing Skeeball in customs and there was a large array of different score values.

Karl2177

A human player can spartan charge an infected player if the infected player gets out of their Mantis. The more people you have in your lobby the easier it is to work (because you need infected and human working together), but Kaos and I got a good amount even the couple times we've done it by ourselves.

You can't do different values? We were playing Skeeball in customs and there was a large array of different score values.
It could have changed since about 5 months ago, but when people were trying to recreate football, they couldn't have goal A be 7 points if walked in, 0 if thrown in. Then Goal B couldn't be 3 if thrown in, 0 if somehow walked in. It might be possible with the mini game gametype now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Catching up on sunday...

Simms "NV is out of the tourney, luminosity wins 4-1!"

Me ":O

:D"

Simms "Just kidding. Sorry!"

NV 4 - Luminosity 3. Big. Oh well, the still did better then most, including i, expected. Vic x and Satan especially looked great in the series they aired.

jem0208

Catching up on sunday...

Simms "NV is out of the tourney, luminosity wins 4-1!"

Me ":O

:D"

Simms "Just kidding. Sorry!"

NV 4 - Luminosity 3. Big. Oh well, the still did better then most, including i, expected. Vic x and Satan especially looked great in the series they aired.

*Saiyan

EYEL1NER

So I've decided that I'm never going to be able to finish the Wardan Slayer commendation. Even in WZFF, where they throw tons of Wardans at me, I can't get any to register as a kill for me. I had one a few moments ago in a WZ match on Stormbreak that I was positive was going to be mine, but nope. I remember them being a lot more plentiful in the early WZ days before some updates; makes me wish I had mopped them up back then.

Madness

So I've decided that I'm never going to be able to finish the Wardan Slayer commendation. Even in WZFF, where they throw tons of Wardans at me, I can't get any to register as a kill for me. I had one a few moments ago in a WZ match on Stormbreak that I was positive was going to be mine, but nope. I remember them being a lot more plentiful in the early WZ days before some updates; makes me wish I had mopped them up back then.

They're glitched now. I think campaign may be the only way now to get them to go up.

EYEL1NER

They're glitched now. I think campaign may be the only way now to get them to go up.
Oh, okay. I hadn't seen anything about that but good to know. Except I don't want to touch the campaign until after I replay Halo's 1-4 (or at the very least beat Halo 4, something I never did before), and I don't want to start up a H1-5 campaign until after we've unlocked the Achilles helm. So I'll still won't be getting that commendation completed anytime soon. I still need 7 of them.

EYEL1NER

They don't. You can't complete enemy and boss kill commendations in campaign.
Well I'm glad I saw that before I got my hopes up too high about killing campaign Wardans then.

So much for trying to party up tonight. I thought I was doing alright for the evening, 3 games played, 3 games one (a WZ match that I actually did terribly in, but we still won, a BTB match, and a Crazy King match). So I tried to party up with MyExWife once I saw him hop online. I waited for a while for his match to end, a new ones starts, and I crash to the dashboard once it starts loading. I didn't have any sound for the longest time while sitting in the lobby, which should have tipped me off that a crash was inbound, but whatever. So I boot back up, we get ready to play another one, and he crashes when the game starts to load. The intro cinematic for the map started and just on a hunch I decided to hit 'Back' and check the scoreboard. I scanned through the list and yep, no ExWife to be found.

Probably for the best anyway. I'm still not entirely over whatever illness I came down with on Sunday and should probably turn in for the night/morning. Maybe tomorrow evening the H5 gods will be more forgiving.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well I'm glad I saw that before I got my hopes up too high about killing campaign Wardans then.

So much for trying to party up tonight. I thought I was doing alright for the evening, 3 games played, 3 games one (a WZ match that I actually did terribly in, but we still won, a BTB match, and a Crazy King match). So I tried to party up with MyExWife once I saw him hop online. I waited for a while for his match to end, a new ones starts, and I crash to the dashboard once it starts loading. I didn't have any sound for the longest time while sitting in the lobby, which should have tipped me off that a crash was inbound, but whatever. So I boot back up, we get ready to play another one, and he crashes when the game starts to load. The intro cinematic for the map started and just on a hunch I decided to hit 'Back' and check the scoreboard. I scanned through the list and yep, no ExWife to be found.

Probably for the best anyway. I'm still not entirely over whatever illness I came down with on Sunday and should probably turn in for the night/morning. Maybe tomorrow evening the H5 gods will be more forgiving.

Need to add you as well so we can join up sometime.

Madness

Hold up, campaign Warden kills count for the commendation?

How are we supposed to complete it now? My warden commendations stopped going up after day 3 of the Firefight beta and haven't gone up since despite me killing at least a dozen more in firefight. I haven't touched the campaign since I finished so I thought campaign would be the only way to get Warden commendation kills. So nothing counts from campaign counts then towards commendations?

I have 3 days off work coming up, what should I grind?
I'm thinking marines

That, and/or Buckle Up and Spartan Charges.

I guess if a decent number of people start using sniper rifles and the like more often in Warzone, we could actually make some decent progress on that one.
Nornfang is the only guaranteed one hit kill weapon out of the snipers, right? I think I've got a couple of those, but I'm nowhere near close to actually having the certification. Still working on silver packs...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
When is the patch and/or matchmaking update with the proving grounds hitting?

Fuchsdh

That, and/or Buckle Up and Spartan Charges.

I guess if a decent number of people start using sniper rifles and the like more often in Warzone, we could actually make some decent progress on that one.
Nornfang is the only guaranteed one hit kill weapon out of the snipers, right? I think I've got a couple of those, but I'm nowhere near close to actually having the certification. Still working on silver packs...

Got my first buckle up yesterday. Was sad I whiffed the opportunity for the second.

Of course, now that I'm looking for them, no one seems to be spawning in Wasps :p Seems like it might be a bit easier to get in BTB versus Warzone because people are more likely to use the mongooses, Wasps, and Warthogs and you have a readily available sniper as opposed to getting REQ level 6 and finding out that everyone's calling in Wraiths and Banshees at that point.

Top Bottom