• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

yVpT953.gif

Annnnnnnd, you're officially no longer worth my time or energy to respond to. I'm pretty sure I've not done anything worthy of your vitriol anytime I say something you disagree with or in opposition to your expressed opinions or thoughts, whether on here on on Live. From now on, when I see a post of yours is ignored, I'll just assume it's you continuing to contribute nothing remotely close to rational discourse and be on my way to someone else I have more respect for.

I guess I just don't get along with you or understand your personality at all. You always come off passive aggressive, rude, and contrary for no good reason--often ignorantly imo. You see, you never seem to give anyone respect at all, unless it's Fats or someone else you frequently run games with.

I honestly don't want to create a stink here (or actually hurt your feelings needlessly), but I have had a hard time seeing most of your posts or Live interactions as anything else as I described above. I did enjoy watching a speedrun with you though.

*shrug*

giphy.gif

Sordid

Essentially they don't have enough population and regions to cater for solid games every time you start a game in a specific playlist. You filter what you can and the server has to approximate what is best of the greater good. If all players were at your house it's likely the effects of such issues are imperceptible in gameplay, ideally.

I've been getting matched onto US servers since launch and I'm in the UK. The population was big enough to get decent games back then. I posted about it on GAF at the time and was accused of rage posting 🤷 343 finally acknowledged the issue in February 2016 (I think? roundabout then anyway) and added region restrictions. The game was awesome for a month or 2 until they inexplicably removed the restrictions and it was back to people teleporting and eating shots. The focused searching they added does nothing to help, it's really frustrating.

My connection is solid, I can ping both sets of EU Azure servers around 30ms and I don't have lag/latency related issues in any other games.

I've been getting matched onto US servers since launch and I'm in the UK. The population was big enough to get decent games back then. I posted about it on GAF at the time and was accused of rage posting 🤷 343 finally acknowledged the issue in February 2016 (I think? roundabout then anyway) and added region restrictions. The game was awesome for a month or 2 until they inexplicably removed the restrictions and it was back to people teleporting and eating shots. The focused searching they added does nothing to help, it's really frustrating.

My connection is solid, I can ping both sets of EU Azure servers around 30ms and I don't have lag/latency related issues in any other games.

Perhaps they removed the restrictions due to a low population and wanted to keep the MM times fast?

Detective

Connection problems have been there since day one for lots of people. The problem is within Halo 5 and not people's connections for sure.

The real question is, will this continue to Halo 6?

I don't think all problems will go away.

Sordid

Perhaps they removed the restrictions due to a low population and wanted to keep the MM times fast?

Maybe, I dunno. I can't see the population declining loads in the month or 2 the restrictions were was active but I'm probably wrong haha. Either way it turned back to being rubbish when they removed it.

jem0208

I dunno if I'm just more used to shitty servers because i live in the UK or what but my experience with H5 isn't that bad.

Players jitter and jump on occasion, I quite often get which feel like headshots but aren't and i regularly get delayed grenades. However, that's not really any worse than other online games for me.

It's just a fact of online gaming, especially when the game in question doesn't have hundreds of thousands of people online at any minute. If you're playing off peak you'll match people out of your region.

Since we're all being honest with each other, the only person I like here is
jem0208
Cheers dude <3

Detective

I dunno if I'm just more used to shitty servers because i live in the UK or what but my experience with H5 isn't that bad.

Players jitter and jump on occasion, I quite often get which feel like headshots but aren't and i regularly get delayed grenades. However, that's not really any worse than other online games for me.

It's just a fact of online gaming, especially when the game in question doesn't have hundreds of thousands of people online at any minute. If you're playing off peak you'll match people out of your region.

Well of course, you have the perfect halo copy and placebo effect :D

Pretty sure I recall an update on Waypoint on this very change to widen parameters due to complaints of search times or no matches found.

It has been insane the level of support H5 has received for 1-2 years however one can't help but wonder what if MCC and H5 had those matching features, quality regional netcode and a large selection of modes and maps at launch what could have been population wise...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Why is the daytona open on mother's day? Between my wife and our immediate family, my mom, and hers, ain't got no time for halo. I'll be doing the "avoid spoilers and catch up over the week thing".

Juan

You sort of have it backwards when it comes to CE's story. The idea of exploring the ring and the flood being this big twist that would turn the game upside down was what they started with, and everything else was built around those 2 ideas. Which in the end worked great as it introduces you to new things in each of the 7 unique missions, and then shows you how all these new sandbox elements that the story spawns can effect the older levels you visited earlier in the game.

But the whole thing with H2 was that the entire game is more driven by Staten's story, with maps and the sandbox being made to support his narrative, rather than the narrative being constructed to do the gameplay they wanted. The brutes are a good example of this, having been initially created just as a new enemy to have as part of the Covenant and then repurposed to be the new main bad guy, despite them being completely ill suited for the role. All of the Arbiter missions suffer from this too. Does anyone really like the Halo missions where you are not fighting the Covenant? Even H4 only does that in it's last mission.

Basically, H1 has a plot twist because they wanted to add a crazy new sandbox element. On the other hand, H2 focuses on it's plot twist at the expense of diversity in the sandbox.

With SPV3, our extended sections just tried to build off the existing things that made those maps unique. Some of them were more successful than others. The project was more so an example of how I'd like to see the sandbox have been expanded in Halo 2 and subsequent titles. H1 works great with it's 3 enemy weapons (excluding sword and fuel rod gun) and 4 species, but once the player learns the ins and outs of the mechanics, there is little more to learn or be challenged by. In H1, it's really quite amazing the gameplay still holds up, whether it be to a due to the ai behaviors, thoughtful weapon sandbox, missions all being unique enough to offer something different than the others.

What we really set out to do was expand on the things that worked great and we loved in H1, but add new content that would give people even more mechanics to learn and challenges to adapt to. The biggest problem with that is there are so many new layers of complexity when it comes to guns to use, enemies to fight that it can be overwhelming for newer players. In fact, we did have a fair amount of complaints about the difficulty from people when we released, but many of those people after sinking in 10-20 hours of it then "got it" and seem to agree with our decisions (other than a few but that's not really a discussion for here). We probably added a few to many things in the end, but the fact you can run though AOTCR with the choice of 3 different hog types, a grizzly tank, a shadow, ghost, wraith, aa wraith or banshee if you chose to gives you the chance to have a totally different experience interacting with everything in the level each time is pretty cool in my book.

Thank a lot for your answer! I always enjoyed CE for some reasons I couldn't put my finger on, but now, you put words in my own thoughts, so once again, thanks for this excellent answer.

At a guess it's essentially the same ol' issues from P2P being present with Azure regional datacentre selections. Example, 16 players in WZ and you're on the east coast US where the regional server selected is west coast US due to 10 players being from that area and not local to you. You get shots not counted as the server rejects you in ]game events vs better connected "other" players. The round trip isn't efficient and you get the raw end of the deal from the server.

I'm on the east coast of the US (more or less -Pennsylvania), and I play people in Mexico constantly, more than I ever did in Halo 2/3/Reach/4, which I played in a state that borders Mexico.

I'm not sure how much you guys know about geography (I'm an expert), but distance and direction are huge parts of it. In technical terms, Mexico is really fucking far away from Pennsylvania:

PA%20to%20Mexico.png

Doubly stupid because (again sorry for the technical language), there are a fuckload of people closer to me than anyone in Mexico, as shown by this population density map:

NorthAmericaPopulationDensity.png

Of course common sense only goes so far when the actual server locations are apparently these:
AzureMap.png

I assume that instead of landing on the more sensible East Coast 1/2 or North Central US (or hell, even Canada Central), I get jammed into South Central US where I am forced to use my high school Spanish (which is 80% swears).

Trup1aya

Cheers dude <3

Lol man, halo5's issues are not typical of online games.

I can play Titanfall 1 and get games that don't have these persistent issues.

It's not just a matter of being off peak. There are issues at any time of day.

Fuchsdh

it also depends on your ISP, carrier level NAT makes it look like my endpoint is in Texas even though I'm definitely not in Texas.

Moral of the story is internet stuff will forever be shitty, but at least I don't have data caps like some poor bastards and my 10GB patches download quickly.

it also depends on your ISP, carrier level NAT makes it look like my endpoint is in Texas even though I'm definitely not in Texas.

Would that affect something like a ping test- like pinging the servers to find the lowest? It just seems crazy that there are servers that should be blatantly better than others, and the game doesn't care.

Moral of the story is internet stuff will forever be shitty, but at least I don't have data caps like some poor bastards and my 10GB patches download quickly.

Truth

Tawpgun

Thanks for grinding to give me Achilles while I, as one of your captains, took a break from the game!
Kappa

Might hop back on. Will probably get destroyed.

Would that affect something like a ping test- like pinging the servers to find the lowest? It just seems crazy that there are servers that should be blatantly better than others, and the game doesn't care.

Yeah, my TDS Telecom connection is often "Wisconsin" thanks to this, even though the IP itself routes to New Mexico.

EVERYTHING IS FINE. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

123 days until I never have to launch H5 again. Servers are ASS and CONTINUE to get worse. Heavy aim is trash, why cant I aim in a e-sport centric FPS? Why am I constantly getting foreign people in my games? Why do randoms suck so badly? Halo 5.

Trup1aya

123 days until I never have to launch H5 again. Servers are ASS and CONTINUE to get worse. Heavy aim is trash, why cant I aim in a e-sport centric FPS? Why am I constantly getting foreign people in my games? Why do randoms suck so badly? Halo 5 thats why.

What will you be playing then?

If y'all actually want to play a game with unrivaled depth and a huge skill gap, then play R6 Siege.

Pretty much saved competitive FPS for me this gen.

Hell, pretty much saved the whole MP FPS genre for me.

If y'all actually want to play a game with unrivaled depth and a huge skill gap, then play R6 Siege.

I've heard pretty good things tbh. Been mostly playing Titanfall 2 and Overwatch myself, tho not in any competitive capacity. Always been more of a casual player.

I really do kind of wonder why people who really clearly detest H5 keep playing it? Like... What's the upside here. There's tons of other stuff to do with your free time besides making yourself (and everybody you deluge with your issues) miserable. Not saying that people shouldn't criticize problems as they come up, but I'm reading people talking about wmhow the game is shitting on them and how they're literally counting down the days until they have something else to play and it's just like... Dude.

jem0208

Despite its shortcomings I still can't get enough of H5.

The HCS playlist is definitely some of the most fun I've had on my X1.

Trup1aya

Destiny 2, then I'll try out the Halo 6 beta and if it doesn't impress me I'm selling my xbox and going playstation.

Yeah, I can't get excited about destiny 2 because I felt robbed by the first one. I'll pick it up after the verdict gets out. One thing is for sure, the gameplay will be sublime.

If halo6 beta is no good, I'd prolly consider getting another console too, would still need my Xbox though.

I've heard pretty good things tbh. Been mostly playing Titanfall 2 and Overwatch myself, tho not in any competitive capacity. Always been more of a casual player.

I really do kind of wonder why people who really clearly detest H5 keep playing it? Like... What's the upside here. There's tons of other stuff to do with your free time besides making yourself (and everybody you deluge with your issues) miserable. Not saying that people shouldn't criticize problems as they come up, but I'm reading people talking about wmhow the game is shitting on them and how they're literally counting down the days until they have something else to play and it's just like... Dude.

When people are passionate about something, it's frustrating to not see it live up its potential, especially if it's been falling short for 7 years. On a forum, this is how disappointment manifests itself.

I'll never get my fill of the guns-grenades-melee/ fair starts/ map control/ shield gameplay of the Halo franchise. Nothing will ever feel better than getting a reversal while one shot or solo capping a flag due to an overkill. It's second to none and sours me on most other FPS- most other games in general.

For me, that's why I don't just go do something else. Even though there are a lot of things I strongly dislike about this game, the core "haloisms" bring me back.

Getting Reversals, doubles, triples, perfects and winning by performing clutch makes me come back to halo 5.

titanfall became really boring for me. similar to how cod is, turn off my brain and just run, see them first and shoot. sometimes a little cat and mouse but nothing crazy of an engagement. bf1 is the only fps i trickle into time to time. Siege was fun during that free weekend, but i only liked played terrorist hunt. PvP didnt appeal to me. felt like it was more of a defense vs offense game where i need to set up the best camping strat.

Fahz is a butt.

That is all.

I agree. I can be a real asshat sometimes.

I'll try to better--I don't think what I did was right.

Trup touched on it, but I will have to say I'm not unaware of how dumb it looks. The thing is, Halo 5 has some really fun and satisfying things about it. Just the fact that I'm playing a Halo game and get to play it with friends is an exciting prospect. I just reconnected with an old High School friend and now we are running Doubles consistently. It's partly a character flaw for sure, but the game absolutely pisses me off in ways that other games (even harder games like CSGO) do not. Halo 5 is still a unique enough experience to me that I can only get with modern Halo, but it's not where I want it to be and it's frustrating.

Also, since this is a Halo enthusiast thread there is a level of expectation that someone here is probably interested in criticisms or discussion in these regards.

Despite its shortcomings I still can't get enough of H5.

The HCS playlist is definitely some of the most fun I've had on my X1.

The HCS playlist, Team Doubles (in all of it's messiness), and the Extermination playlist and promises of a Classic playlist keep me coming back. I may think a lot of Halo 5 is rubbish, but I don't hate spending time with it.

Since your referencing me. In all my video game playing time since 2000, I've spent a solid 50% of it on Halo. Also trying to make it in the streaming life and guess what most of my followers like/liked? I've been playing it forever, I'm good at it, I'm invested, people I'm around online like/liked it, I somehow still have hope in 343 to make a fantastic game (last chance in H6 beta tho). The game is actually decent, but 100 small issues that you never would guess would be plaguing a flagship title are killing it. Xbox in general has been pretty ass this gen.

Do you play on Xbox or PC?

I got it on PC for a good deal and grinded my way to the competitive playlist...oddly enough I found that the game got way too easy. I won the majority of my games and landed a really high rank out of the gate.

I don't say this to brag, but I felt like going from playing Halo and Counter Strike competitively to Rainbow Six was a massive step back in terms of a gratifying challenge. The main challenge was familiarizing myself with the different characters and their abilities/capabilities.

Cheers dude <3
<4
I was actually going to put you specifically in that spoiler lol, but didn't want to forfeit my seat at the cool kids table.
I like everybody
can't help it. it's like a birth defect or sumthin'
Same lol, even when I knew some people hated me around here
Karl
, I never gave up believing. Hope always strong. Jackie always okay.
I think ExWife and Fahz are both butts. I'm the only nice one really.
Funny thing is, Ex is most definitely condescending 99% of the time, but I guess he doesn't see it? It's a fine line between jokes and actually hurting feelings lol, a line I like to live on. That being said, Ex is cool peeps too, like Fahz, so I'm sure they'll both
never
get over it.

Spoiler tags are
fun.
known.
ty all.

Do you play on Xbox or PC?

I got it on PC for a good deal and grinded my way to the competitive playlist...oddly enough I found that the game got way too easy. I won the majority of my games and landed a really high rank out of the gate.

I don't say this to brag, but I felt like going from playing Halo and Counter Strike competitively to Rainbow Six was a massive step back in terms of a gratifying challenge. The main challenge was familiarizing myself with the different characters and their abilities/capabilities.

Xbox

But the grind to diamond is real man

Too real

Xbox

But the grind to diamond is real man

Too real

Maybe for an Irishman such as yourself.

is this joke too old to use? lol ;)

I got to Diamond fairly quickly. Maybe I got lucky, but it didn't feel rewarding. I kept window peeking peeps out of their spawn or hopping out of windows lol

Love the game though

Madness

Always see your R6 clips, along with your Delorean rocket league clips lol. R6 seems a bit too slow paced for me. Do you play alone with randos or friends? I would think would be frustrating to play with no mic, random people.

Always see your R6 clips, along with your Delorean rocket league clips lol. R6 seems a bit too slow paced for me. Do you play alone with randos or friends? I would think would be frustrating to play with no mic, random people.

Yes very frustrating with randoms

Unless you play in ranked, where, whilst no guarantee they are good, they at least take it very seriously, and usually have mics.

Man I sure wish some people would still send out invites to R6S...

Mannn, you should send me a message, you always welcome, and most times we do need a 5.

Nutter

123 days until I never have to launch H5 again. Servers are ASS and CONTINUE to get worse. Heavy aim is trash, why cant I aim in a e-sport centric FPS? Why am I constantly getting foreign people in my games? Why do randoms suck so badly? Halo 5.

Were you not supposed to move away from Halo last fall with COD and soo much more?

Why haven't you? I know why, but ask yourself, why go online into a thread about a game to do same thing you always do, remind people about the issues and say "I cant wait until game x, y, z are out so I can stop playing this game". You did this last year, and you will do this next year.

Top Bottom