• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

When people are passionate about something, it's frustrating to not see it live up its potential, especially if it's been falling short for 7 years. On a forum, this is how disappointment manifests itself.

I'll never get my fill of the guns-grenades-melee/ fair starts/ map control/ shield gameplay of the Halo franchise. Nothing will ever feel better than getting a reversal while one shot or solo capping a flag due to an overkill. It's second to none and sours me on most other FPS- most other games in general.

For me, that's why I don't just go do something else. Even though there are a lot of things I strongly dislike about this game, the core "haloisms" bring me back.

I agree. I can be a real asshat sometimes.

I'll try to better--I don't think what I did was right.

Trup touched on it, but I will have to say I'm not unaware of how dumb it looks. The thing is, Halo 5 has some really fun and satisfying things about it. Just the fact that I'm playing a Halo game and get to play it with friends is an exciting prospect. I just reconnected with an old High School friend and now we are running Doubles consistently. It's partly a character flaw for sure, but the game absolutely pisses me off in ways that other games (even harder games like CSGO) do not. Halo 5 is still a unique enough experience to me that I can only get with modern Halo, but it's not where I want it to be and it's frustrating.

Also, since this is a Halo enthusiast thread there is a level of expectation that someone here is probably interested in criticisms or discussion in these regards.

The HCS playlist, Team Doubles (in all of it's messiness), and the Extermination playlist and promises of a Classic playlist keep me coming back. I may think a lot of Halo 5 is rubbish, but I don't hate spending time with it.

I get coming back because there's a unique aspect to it, but still- regularly playing a game that you seems to just make you deeply unhappy can't be healthy, and while it's true that there's nothing else like Halo out there, there's stuff that can at least fill the gap until we get a good look at 6.

Since your referencing me. In all my video game playing time since 2000, I've spent a solid 50% of it on Halo. Also trying to make it in the streaming life and guess what most of my followers like/liked? I've been playing it forever, I'm good at it, I'm invested, people I'm around online like/liked it, I somehow still have hope in 343 to make a fantastic game (last chance in H6 beta tho). The game is actually decent, but 100 small issues that you never would guess would be plaguing a flagship title are killing it. Xbox in general has been pretty ass this gen.

Nah, not just you, or even you in specific really. Just the two most recent examples. I agree about the issues, but other than he follower stuff, I'm just not sure why someone who really really HATES the game (and, like, I get that it's just a pile of small issues, but they seem to dominate your thoughts on it) wouldn't just... move on. Wait for the next one.

Were you not supposed to move away from Halo last fall with COD and soo much more?

Why haven't you? I know why, but ask yourself, why go online into a thread about a game to do same thing you always do, remind people about the issues and say "I cant wait until game x, y, z are out so I can stop playing this game". You did this last year, and you will do this next year.

Complaining is part of the community experience, but I don't get people who are claiming they are going to bail for X game. Like, if you actually hate the game now, why are you still playing?

Trup1aya

I get coming back because there's a unique aspect to it, but still- regularly playing a game that you seems to just make you deeply unhappy can't be healthy, and while it's true that there's nothing else like Halo out there, there's stuff that can at least fill the gap until we get a good look at 6.

Nah, not just you, or even you in specific really. Just the two most recent examples. I agree about the issues, but other than he follower stuff, I'm just not sure why someone who really really HATES the game (and, like, I get that it's just a pile of small issues, but they seem to dominate your thoughts on it) wouldn't just... move on. Wait for the next one.

No one who "hates" the game plays it regularly-- except maybe Pros because it pays their bills.

Like I said, when someone is passionate about something, and they are on a forum, you are going to see the passion spill out.

If everything was rosey, then the comments would reflect that. But things aren't all rosey. In fact, in many ways, the situation is alarming. MS most important franchise is lagging in sales, and has some debilitating bugs unfitting of its legacy. We are talking about an FPS where the aim system changes right in the middle of gameplay. Where melees, a key component in the "trifecta" will not register at all. These glaring issues make it even more frustrating when you feel like the game is a few obvious tweaks and adjustments from being top of the line.

There are so many things I actually like about Halo5. And that list is longer than the list of things I like about H3 and anything since it. The list of things I dislike isn't very long all... but they are of massive importance.

I was supposed to be playing gears and Forza now that we got Achilles. played one mission in Gears, thoroughly enjoyed it. Then Turned it off and jumped into the HCS playlist. Can't help myself.

I haven't sold my xbox, but I've pretty much moved onto playing Overwatch and other weeb games on PS4. Ya'll should come join ;)

Definitely gonna be balls deep in the Halo 6 Beta though

Trup1aya

I could see something like 60 FPS split screen on Scorpio and 30 on Xbone, but we'll have to wait and see.

Doesn't H4 have split screen on MCC at 60fps? What is it about H5s engine that makes split screen at 60fps unlikely?

Whatever that is, tone that shit down and make it happen.

jdouglas

Scorpio isnt really anything since Xbox has no good exclusives excluding Gears/Forza/Halo. I dont play gears, racing isnt my thing and Halo is down the drain. Probably going with him as well

It's a miracle 343 ever admitted that the storyline/marketing was misleading.

You know it's all politics at this point.

You think the people at 343 don't know deep down that the community doesn't like the direction Halo has gone in? They do, but the first guy to admit it will get crucified.

Just imagine a Halo 6 reveal where:

-Art style is more akin to classic Halo
-No sprint
-Base movement speed is faster
- Classic scope
-Open ended campaign levels
-Popular new mechanics retained (thruster, groundpound)

I think there's a happy medium that Halo 6 could nail that would make more people happy. Halo needs to innovate and stop chasing genre tropes. The thruster was a good innovation in 5, the smart scope was blatant pandering to an audience that's not even playing the game anymore. I wish 343i would embrace such criticisms and adjust accordingly, but it'll probably just be Halo 5 more or less. This is coming from someone that loves Halo 5, but I'd like Halo to regain some of its unique identity.

-No sprint
- Classic scope

I think there's a happy medium that Halo 6 could nail that would make more people happy. Halo needs to innovate and stop chasing genre tropes. The thruster was a good innovation in 5, the smart scope was blatant pandering to an audience that's not even playing the game anymore. I wish 343i would embrace such criticisms and adjust accordingly, but it'll probably just be Halo 5 more or less. This is coming from someone that loves Halo 5, but I'd like Halo to regain some of it's unique identity.
I agree with your post
And your avatar is an accurate representation of the franchise lol.

It's a miracle 343 ever admitted that the storyline/marketing was misleading.

You know it's all politics at this point.

You think the people at 343 don't know deep down that the community doesn't like the direction Halo has gone in? They do, but the first guy to admit it will get crucified.
I'm so interested in listening to the conversations at 343 over these things. They have to be aware how much it would mean to nail Fata1moose's list below:

-No sprint
- Classic scope

I think there's a happy medium that Halo 6 could nail that would make more people happy. Halo needs to innovate and stop chasing genre tropes. The thruster was a good innovation in 5, the smart scope was blatant pandering to an audience that's not even playing the game anymore. I wish 343i would embrace such criticisms and adjust accordingly, but it'll probably just be Halo 5 more or less. This is coming from someone that loves Halo 5, but I'd like Halo to regain some of it's unique identity.
Throw in "And we're launching with all the features from Halo 5 plus more! Including improvements to the Customs Browser, Forge, T H E A T E R, etc." to top it all off. That'll drive people crazy.

Master Chief fuckin walks out wearing Mk. V armor and says, "Basic to fuckin basics" as he slaps the shit out of Locke and walks offscreen. The stage goes dark, Frank walks out with a mic in his hand, doesn't say a single word, drops the goddamn mic and walks off stage.

-No sprint
- Classic scope

I think there's a happy medium that Halo 6 could nail that would make more people happy. Halo needs to innovate and stop chasing genre tropes. The thruster was a good innovation in 5, the smart scope was blatant pandering to an audience that's not even playing the game anymore. I wish 343i would embrace such criticisms and adjust accordingly, but it'll probably just be Halo 5 more or less. This is coming from someone that loves Halo 5, but I'd like Halo to regain some of its unique identity.

I honestly do not believe we can expect a good art style. I would love it though. You know what the bungie vs. 343 art style reminds me of?

Power Rangers:

Bungie style
mighty-morphin-power-rangers.jpg

343 style

It feels like 343 is chasing an aesthetic similar to Hollywood reboots where every design has to be overly complicated, with extra geometry and materials just because.

I honestly do not believe we can expect a good art style. I would love it though. You know what the bungie vs. 343 art style reminds me of?

Power Rangers:

Bungie style

343 style

It feels like 343 is chasing an aesthetic similar to Hollywood reboots where every design has to be overly complicated, with extra geometry and materials just because.

I'm very pessimistic on the outlook of a more classic art style probably more than anything I listed (no sprint seems like a longshot too). The one theing that gives me a glimmer of hope is Halo Wars 2, it had a aesthetics that leaned more towards the classic side. It wasn't completely Bungie style, but Elites were slender and agile, Spartans looked like military space Marines and not power rangers.

This looks like Halo:

The fuck is this big lumbering thing?

What even happened with this model?

I played Team Doubles for the last 3 days in a row for about 3 hours each time. I'm teleporting, shots aren't doing damage, and I disconnected to lobby 3 times today. It's not consistent. One moment my shots will be great, the next engagement I'm putting 3 to 4 shots into a person with no shields.

=(

I wanna play this game...Wish I knew what was going on. I'm not experiencing this in other games. Is there any hope for me? Anything I should try? I'm about to give up and I really don't want to.

Edit:
Well I jumped on Rocket League on PC and was getting disconnects tonight... Time to call my ISP...

Master Chief fuckin walks out wearing Mk. V armor and says, "Basic to fuckin basics" as he slaps the shit out of Locke and walks offscreen. The stage goes dark, Frank walks out with a mic in his hand, doesn't say a single word, drops the goddamn mic and walks off stage.

No no no. Chief drops the mic and Frank enters from stage right to sweep it up in full janitor uniform.

Who thinks coop is coming back for H6 campaign?

Masterz1337

Neo Member
Thank a lot for your answer! I always enjoyed CE for some reasons I couldn't put my finger on, but now, you put words in my own thoughts, so once again, thanks for this excellent answer.

Thanks! I spent a good time writing that all up and trying to make it clear. Glad to see my time on it was not wasted.

H2 and H1's campaigns are just so interesting to me, but it is very hard to express H1's successes as so many of them weave in and out of each other, and difficult to describe H2's as on paper everything seems like it should be better than H1, but it ends up being a series of cascading failures where it is difficult to talk about one without having to talk about another, which then becomes another subject and another and another.

Doesn't H4 have split screen on MCC at 60fps? What is it about H5s engine that makes split screen at 60fps unlikely?

Whatever that is, tone that shit down and make it happen.

I believe at some point there was some point of evidence that actually hinted at it being network related. But I rarely delve to deeply into the mechanics of the MP side of things. I can see if I can dig up anything tomorrow to back this up, I realize it just sounds like a crazy statement. I just through I'd say it now in case anyone else had heard things related to it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Not a fan of hw2's art myself. Looks like a cheap knock off of classic halo. Now halo 3, that's halo at its peak art design wise.

It's going to be VERY interesting on how they present Halo 6 after all of the feedback the community has given about the single player story.

I'm still salty that they made locke almost equivalent to MC. Locke got a hit in and cracked his visor. Why would you try to make someone his equal when MC has saved the galaxy and also received some type of enhancement from the Librarian. Come the fuk on 343. Cant just force us to think Locke is equal to the Chief.

Detective

It's going to be VERY interesting on how they present Halo 6 after all of the feedback the community has given about the single player story.

I'm still salty that they made locke almost equivalent to MC. Locke got a hit in and cracked his visor. Why would you try to make someone his equal when MC has saved the galaxy and also received some type of enhancement from the Librarian. Come the fuk on 343. Cant just force us to think Locke is equal to the Chief.

Exactly, they want to create a new hero by shitting on the present one. It turned out really really great.

Am glad I deleted this game now, am over it. Looking forward to see how 6 turns out. Interesting to see how 343 will fix it.

If you want the art style of Halo 3's artists and vision
play destiny - SAD TRUTH but we shouldn't expect the ones at 343 to go back to those roots bungie established. Halo 4 should have told you where they were going with this and 5 should have really told you that its going to continue and change. it's their baby now.

So I ranked into FFA again this season and had a few thoughts. I generally stay in the Plat/Diamond range so the following might not be true for every level of play.

What happened to using other weapons besides the pistol? Now, I'm incredibly happy the pistol is at least back up to Reach levels of usefulness but it really negates the need to get any other weapon. Which is odd to me because at the beginning of H5's life I really felt like every weapon was getting even use.

I bring this up because during a match on Truth I noticed no one was going for the sword, not even me. It dawned upon me that this is not the Halo I'm used to playing. No power weapons, just pew pew pistol. Which again, no problem with the pistol itself, just disappointed it renders other weapons less useful.

While I love starting out with a competent weapon scheme, I just hope going forward 343 continues with the buff everything mentality. I want power weapons to feel powerful and worth chasing after, I shouldn't be content with just my pistol and AR. Maybe there's no need to buff the Sniper but a slightly quicker shooting speed for a Rocket would be nice, or a slightly faster Sword would encourage it's use. Cut the ammo in half if needed but make the power weapons something that are not ignored.

I know some folks don't want power weapons at all and really crave that octagon style experience but for me, chasing a power weapon is a huge part of the Halo experience. And to see the weapon I've chased for years not getting any love, be it because of its position on the map or lack of power compared to other weapons is incredibly saddening.

If you want the art style of Halo 3's artists and vision
play destiny - SAD TRUTH but we shouldn't expect the ones at 343 to go back to those roots bungie established. Halo 4 should have told you where they were going with this and 5 should have really told you that its going to continue and change. it's their baby now.

This is the truth. Destiny is a completely new IP, yet the art style (at least in terms of lighting, textures, etc) looks more "halo" than 343's halo

Defect

The LEAST they could do for Halo 6 is give the option for classic scopes. I'm glad they added classic weapons in this game but I just don't want to deal with the gun blocking my sights.

Also let me turn of JIP for social playlists! Why isn't this a thing in games? I'm only going to quit if I don't start a match from the beginning.

Fuchsdh

This is the truth. Destiny is a completely new IP, yet the art style (at least in terms of lighting, textures, etc) looks more "halo" than 343's halo

I don't really think that's true. It looks more like a 70s pulp sci-fi illustration. What people are responding to is stuff like cleaner, less intricate designs and more recognizable silhouettes.

I don't really think that's true. It looks more like a 70s pulp sci-fi illustration. What people are responding to is stuff like cleaner, less intricate designs and more recognizable silhouettes.

im just saying the artists will never be able to replicate the art style/direction of those from bungie who birthed halo.

sure, the artists at 343 are super talented, but they have their own style/vision/direction while trying to implement themes of halo.

im just saying the artists will never be able to replicate the art style/direction of those from bungie who birthed halo.

sure, the artists at 343 are super talented, but they have their own style/vision/direction while trying to implement themes of halo.

At the same time, i dont think that the same stuff should look drastically different when they do them. It doesnt really 'look' like halo. I think some things need to be consistent. Like the forerunner stuff. It looks like different forerunner designs completely.

Tawpgun

Ah, we on the art style portion of HaloGAF cycle.

If y'all actually want to play a game with unrivaled depth and a huge skill gap, then play R6 Siege.

Pretty much saved competitive FPS for me this gen.

Hell, pretty much saved the whole MP FPS genre for me.

I'd love to play Siege with you guys are on dumb Europe servers.

IHaveIce

Banned
If y'all actually want to play a game with unrivaled depth and a huge skill gap, then play R6 Siege.

Pretty much saved competitive FPS for me this gen.

Hell, pretty much saved the whole MP FPS genre for me.

Overwatch.

I refuse to play games where there is a chance you are peeking at me through small cameras trying to get upskirt pics of me you cheeky weirdo

Halo Wars 2's "dueling" art styles seemed like a totally reasonable compromise between old and new styles. Likewise with H2A.

-No sprint
- Classic scope

remotely possible ones in bold

Ah, we on the art style portion of HaloGAF cycle.

I'd love to play Siege with you guys are on dumb Europe servers.

Yeah, the ping is real gamechanger in Siege.

Very unfair, and lately the servers have been terrible.

Overwatch.

I refuse to play games where there is a chance you are peeking at me through small cameras trying to get upskirt pics of me you cheeky weirdo

Dammit. My plan ruined once again.

-No sprint
- Classic scope

ground pound a popular mechanic....hilarious

My thoughts exactly :D

GP and clamber are the reason for uninspiring map design.

How does GP affect map design? I haven't given that one much thought. Curious what you are thinking.

I totally get clamber. It ruins not only map design/flow, but it also frequently nullifies the nerf to sprint.

Top Bottom