• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

Onto assist and game mode commendations!

We're actually not far of in assists... just need to convince some poor souls to be warthog gunners...

As far as game modes... I'm not touching Breakout or Infection unless someone pays me. Now if they brought Extermination back...

WE FUCKING DID IT!!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!

ytQZn11.png

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Random question time: am I the only one that switches magnum skins out of superstition that they are the reason for non-registering shots? Like, I love the bright green boomco pistol, but it fucks me over more than most. White hcs pistol seems most consistent.

Random question time: am I the only one that switches magnum skins out of superstition that they are the reason for non-registering shots? Like, I love the bright green boomco pistol, but it fucks me over more than most. White hcs pistol seems most consistent.
Initially I wanted to post how you've lost your damn marbles.. but after thinking about it, with the amount of issues ranging from 1th to starting a 16 player campaign lobby after searching BTB, I think it's safe to say anything is possible.

TMCC's glitches have opened my mind to believing just about any problems people face with a video game. Some shit I've seen in the past made me skeptical, but now? I believe all of it.

op_ivy

Initially I wanted to post how you've lost your damn marbles.. but after thinking about it, with the amount of issues ranging from 1th to starting a 16 player campaign lobby after searching BTB, I think it's safe to say anything is possible.

TMCC's glitches have opened my mind to believing just about any problems people face with a video game. Some shit I've seen in the past made me skeptical, but now? I believe all of it.

And as ugly as Achilles is, I just went 20 and 1 my first game with it. It's never leaving my virtual dome.

ROCK.gif~c200

op_ivy

Ryanoob's team just beat team Randa (with commonly) 4-1. Hope they can upset splyce

Guys... These servers are so shitty...

I have a great connection (70meg). There's teleporting, people eating shots despite hitmarkers, ghost melees, and straight up disconnects. I'm playing on focused too.

Wtf 343. I don't have this problem in other games. Explain please.

Trup1aya

I have a great connection (70meg). There's teleporting, people eating shots despite hitmarkers, ghost melees, and straight up disconnects. I'm playing on focused too.

Had my first ghost melee in a LOONG time this morning... it robbed me of a reversal and a double kill. Been having the hitmarkers w/o kill so often now.

I just don't understand why MS flagship title has so many QA issues.

It's been incredibly consistent.

I keep killing kids, watch their body drop, and then get killed by them after the kill feed tells me I killed them.

This is rubbish. I keep trying to give this game a chance and everytime it takes a dump on my plate.

There is a "Resign" button on your existing company page (far right):

zLP0XUE.png

You will not see the Join button for HaloGAF until you leave your existing one

Thx, dropped my old SC. Still no "Join" button and I've signed out/in etc. Hopefully the next invite works. Need some more peeps to play Halo with anyhow.

Congrats on the full armour set ladies.

Not defending the servers, but I always feel it's my duty to bring up the fact that your connection speed doesn't mean much of anything in the way of connection quality/latency/packet loss or, you know, things that actually matter.

Folks always bring up connection speed in these discussions as if it's a deciding factor in any way, and it's basically not. Understand your arguments and your technology under discussion, folks.

the-more-you-know-o.gif

Not defending the servers, but I always feel it's my duty to bring up the fact that your connection speed doesn't mean much of anything in the way of connection quality/latency/packet loss or, you know, things that actually matter.

Folks always bring up connection speed in these discussions as if it's a deciding factor in any way, and it's basically not. Understand your arguments and your technology under discussion, folks.

the-more-you-know-o.gif

It matters in terms of bandwidth and consistency on my end (the specific tests I run, it just also includes download speed). It's usually brought up because people are frustrated and know that their connection shouldn't be the bottleneck or obstacle in the matter. I put it in parenthesis as a side note cuz I just calculated test averages. I don't have these issues in other games, including games that have much higher server tick rates.

But yes, ur technically correct.

Cool gif, bet you feel really smart.

It matters in terms of bandwidth

Except bandwidth doesn't matter, and that was my point.

It's usually brought up because people are frustrated and know that their connection shouldn't be the bottleneck or obstacle in the matter.

And their connection speed (or yours, or mine) isn't the issue. Talking about your ping tests or ping to servers or whatever (pretty sure Ozzy used to do this on the reg to show that it's an issue specific to Halo and not Azure in general. That seems to be the case and wasn't what I was bringing up) is relevant as well as noise or packet loss, etc.

I actually don't know what the actual issue is with H5 servers that causes people so many problems. But it's not (and never was) bandwidth.

But yes, ur technically correct.

Cool gif, bet you feel really smart.

I made what was I feel a not-dick post because obviously folks don't understand the issue (sorry if you're not one of them, but your post didn't make that clear/likely) and this is a regular thing. Being technically correct when discussing technical issues seems like the logical course of conversation, no?

The gif was just pre-empting the common course of the light-hearted responses that often happen. It's me being self-aware of the technicality of my objection.

This would be like calling me out if we're having a discussion about cars going from one place to another reliably within certain parameters. During troubleshooting of your car, you bring up your vehicle's top speed as a somehow relevant fact when it only needs to go like 5mph to meet our needs satisfactorily and none of the vehicles under discussion have a top speed less than 100mph.

Cool response though, you get it out of your system?

Except bandwidth doesn't matter, and that was my point.

And their connection speed (or yours, or mine) isn't the issue. Talking about your ping tests or ping to servers or whatever (pretty sure Ozzy used to do this on the reg to show that it's an issue specific to Halo and not Azure in general. That seems to be the case and wasn't what I was bringing up) is relevant as well as noise or packet loss, etc.

I actually don't know what the actual issue is with H5 servers that causes people so many problems. But it's not (and never was) bandwidth.

I made what was I feel a not-dick post because obviously folks don't understand the issue (sorry if you're not one of them, but your post didn't make that clear/likely) and this is a regular thing. Being technically correct when discussing technical issues seems like the logical course of conversation, no?

The gif was just pre-empting the common course of the light-hearted responses that often happen. It's me being self-aware of the technicality of my objection.

This would be like calling me out if we're having a discussion about cars going from one place to another reliably within certain parameters. During troubleshooting of your car, you bring up your vehicle's top speed as a somehow relevant fact when it only needs to go like 5mph to meet our needs satisfactorily and none of the vehicles under discussion have a top speed less than 100mph.

Cool response though, you get it out of your system?

Sorry I just always assume your being an ass cuz you often are an ass.

At a guess it's essentially the same ol' issues from P2P being present with Azure regional datacentre selections. Example, 16 players in WZ and you're on the east coast US where the regional server selected is west coast US due to 10 players being from that area and not local to you. You get shots not counted as the server rejects you in game events vs better connected "other" players. The round trip isn't efficient and you get the raw end of the deal from the server.

As for latency jumps in game I'm not sure how a dedicated server halts the gameplay feeding to you specifically for a second or two while frozen on a frame, audio continues as normal though, and you're dead when you get controller inputs and frame updates back to normal flows. I'm guessing there is a server threshold, you're put into essentially a waiting room and finally your out of sync connection has the server time your game to sync again with what's actually happening to get you back up to speed with it's decisions and control version of the game.

Essentially they don't have enough population and regions to cater for solid games every time you start a game in a specific playlist. You filter what you can and the server has to approximate what is best of the greater good. If all players were at your house it's likely the effects of such issues are imperceptible in gameplay, ideally.

Now if they just went the route of Titanfall 2 or other games where players select their regional server by choice it might alleviate a ton of these connection issues but at the cost of say focused matching on skill levels or teams etc. Personally give me, the player, power over the regional selection and fuck the rest of the filters or automation. Connection > anything else IMO. I guess they want to trick out Azure as a showcase or MS directs how 343 are to implement such systems.

Some ISPs don't talk well to Azure either, especially some international cable ISPs. A latency exists that's no big deal for web applications but a fucking nightmare for gaming online with FPS.

I'd still love a ViDoc about the Azure implementations and changes over the first 12-18 months of Halo 5. It would be bloody interesting to say the least. Christ they could do a ViDoc on MCC alone, it's the cornerstone of how much it fucked up combined with the Azure/Live/OS changes Xbox was going through at MCC times.

As for the REQ store, that's just server load IMO, centralisation issues and not regional at all. It seems they have one specific server region for the REQ store and it does not correlate to game matching servers whatsoever. Hell I've started tons of WZ games and never even been able to see my REQ points or REQ cards or select a boost etc before matchmaking has loaded the game initially. They're disparate systems IMO.

Overall it's a damned technical part of modern gaming and the studio and devs in general really works their asses off to make it all work optimally.

Sorry I just always assume your being an ass cuz you often are an ass.

yVpT953.gif

Annnnnnnd, you're officially no longer worth my time or energy to respond to. I'm pretty sure I've not done anything worthy of your vitriol anytime I say something you disagree with or in opposition to your expressed opinions or thoughts, whether on here on on Live. From now on, when I see a post of yours is ignored, I'll just assume it's you continuing to contribute nothing remotely close to rational discourse and be on my way to someone else I have more respect for.

At a guess it's essentially the same ol' issues from P2P being present with Azure regional datacentre selections. Example, 16 players in WZ and you're on the east coast US where the regional server selected is west coast US due to 10 players being from that area and not local to you. You get shots not counted as the server rejects you in game events vs better connected "other" players. The round trip isn't efficient and you get the raw end of the deal from the server.

As for latency jumps in game I'm not sure how a dedicated server halts the gameplay feeding to you specifically for a second or two while frozen on a frame, audio continues as normal though, and you're dead when you get controller inputs and frame updates back to normal flows. I'm guessing there is a server threshold, you're put into essentially a waiting room and finally your out of sync connection has the server time your game to sync again with what's actually happening to get you back up to speed with it's decisions and control version of the game.

Essentially they don't have enough population and regions to cater for solid games every time you start a game in a specific playlist. You filter what you can and the server has to approximate what is best of the greater good. If all players were at your house it's likely the effects of such issues are imperceptible in gameplay, ideally.

Now if they just went the route of Titanfall 2 or other games where players select their regional server by choice it might alleviate a ton of these connection issues but at the cost of say focused matching on skill levels or teams etc. Personally give me, the player, power over the regional selection and fuck the rest of the filters or automation. Connection > anything else IMO. I guess they want to trick out Azure as a showcase or MS directs how 343 are to implement such systems.

Some ISPs don't talk well to Azure either, especially some international cable ISPs. A latency exists that's no big deal for web applications but a fucking nightmare for gaming online with FPS.

I'd still love a ViDoc about the Azure implementations and changes over the first 12-18 months of Halo 5. It would be bloody interesting to say the least. Christ they could do a ViDoc on MCC alone, it's the cornerstone of how much it fucked up combined with the Azure/Live/OS changes Xbox was going through at MCC times.

As for the REQ store, that's just server load IMO, centralisation issues and not regional at all. It seems they have one specific server region for the REQ store and it does not correlate to game matching servers whatsoever. Hell I've started tons of WZ games and never even been able to see my REQ points or REQ cards or select a boost etc before matchmaking has loaded the game initially. They're disparate systems IMO.

Overall it's a damned technical part of modern gaming and the studio and devs in general really works their asses off to make it all work optimally.

See this? This is a good post, with good info, and a fair understanding of the issues at hand.

Re: the above, my guess is that it's an occasionally perfect storm of a combo of a bunch of those issues. But most likely, the population numbers/regional scarcity are a huge part of it. As Prinz Eugn and I are fond of noting, the us vs Mexicans matchup seems to happen far more often than it should and more often than it used to earlier in the game's life-cycle.

Top Bottom