• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

FyreWulff

Marty's seduction techniques could use some work so he flaunts his body a lot. One thing I wish I'd stayed for was to finish Reach. I wrote the story and script for that with Lee Wilson and Marcus, and although it's almost exactly the same in the shipping version, there's some things I'd have wanted to alter a little.

rip the covenant dance number after
they kill Noble 6

This is something I'd appreciate far more than the Halo 3 remaster everybody's begging for(unnecessary, IMO). There's something about Reach's visuals that make it very difficult to watch and play coming from Halo 5. I'm fine with Halo 3 at 30fps, but Reach is a legit struggle.

it's the temporal motion blur, I think at this point i'd rather they would have been able to ship with no AA rather than the blur. It's the one thing that annoys me when I go back. One of the reasons that despite it's warts that I prefer Perfect Dark XBLA over Perfect Dark N64, they both fixed the motion blur death bug and toned down the daze blur overall.

I really want to understand the reasons behind Halo 4's climax in Cortana's death and then going full speed ahead into her being alive and villainous in 5. I have a hard time believing they thought that was a good idea. Perhaps it was a reaction to negative feedback similar to the reaction to Halo 5's lack of chief missions?

Stinkles, I know your a plot/lore man, so any insight would be great. Perhaps Halo 6 will clear some of this up...

... Was the bug actually map-dependant?

I've tried to recreate the instances where the drag felt most common. Seems much better on the diagonal sweeps.

The bug is supposed to have something with RAM/CPU overhead due to asset loading, so the issue being more prevalent on forge maps is quite plausible.

jem0208

... Was the bug actually map-dependant?

I've tried to recreate the instances where the drag felt most common. Seems much better on the diagonal sweeps.
No, forge maps just have frame drops in certain places which would feel like heavy aim.

Just what I wanted too. I find it hard to believe that TV series is even in production anymore. Too many signs point to "no" in the magic 8-ball e.g. MS closed the crap out of their media company/ambitions and it was announced on May 21, 2013. Yeah.

Here's the history in reverse:

Spencer says it's still alive (4 Aug 2016)

Showtime boss David Nevins confirmed the TV show was in "very active development." (17th Aug 2015)

Xbox Entertainment Studios closes (29 Oct 2014)

Even if still active this series is FUBAR or Spielberg is avoiding the shit out of it priority wise. Come on 4 years with Showtime/Spielberg and not even a trailer? Missed the boat IMO. Shit give it to Blur and Netflix backing it already. It was clearly part of the old guard Xbox One launch craptacular. As for it respawning harder, faster and stronger...well that isn't even a red blip on the radar IMO.

That's what I always say give Blur the money and they will make something unbelievable

HTupolev

it's the temporal motion blur, I think at this point i'd rather they would have been able to ship with no AA rather than the blur.
Its temporal motion blur
The temporal AA and the motion blur are two different things.

The TAA basically turns off when the camera is moving, and shouldn't really have much impact on control feel; it mostly just causes some animations to ghost when you're sitting still.

The blending on the motion blur isn't as good as Halo 3's, though, which can make the blur trails look like semi-solid chop. I think a lot of people confuse it for TAA ghosting.

I really want to understand the reasons behind Halo 4's climax in Cortana's death and then going full speed ahead into her being alive and villainous in 5. I have a hard time believing they thought that was a good idea. Perhaps it was a reaction to negative feedback similar to the reaction to Halo 5's lack of chief missions?
I wouldn't be surprised if they were originally going to have the Didact be the villain.

Sai

You mean other than bloom?
I was one of those weirdos that didn't mind the reticle bloom. :p

Its temporal motion blur wasn't really that great even when it came out. It's definitely aged poorly in that regard (but then again, it doesn't have Halo 3's derpy faces. Win some, lose some.)
it's the temporal motion blur, I think at this point i'd rather they would have been able to ship with no AA rather than the blur. It's the one thing that annoys me when I go back. One of the reasons that despite it's warts that I prefer Perfect Dark XBLA over Perfect Dark N64, they both fixed the motion blur death bug and toned down the daze blur overall.
I see. Thank you.

Is this something that would be easier on the eyes with a higher framerate? Or would the temporal motion blur have to be tweaked or removed entirely if the game were ever to be remastered in some way?

I feel like it was definitely worse on some Forge maps, yes.
The bug is supposed to have something with RAM/CPU overhead due to asset loading, so the issue being more prevalent on forge maps is quite plausible.
No, forge maps just have frame drops in certain places which would feel like heavy aim.
Huh. Knew the drag was there, didn't know all the technical details of it. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Literally just a little more focus on the civilian life of Reach (including the scientists) and I originally had a little more backstory on the
unexpected assassination of one of the Spartans
and some story on the effects that had on the team and atmosphere.
Unrelated but just wanted to say I think it's pretty cool the reason you decided to switch from Bungie to 343. Thats not a knock on Bungie but the fact that you knew you would have trouble getting excited to make a game like Destiny and that you were still really interested in the halo universe. And that's not a knock on Destiny either, but it does have a different play style/feel. On the flip side, I can understand why so many people would be completely burned out on Halo too. That article posted the other day was really really interesting just to see perspectives from so many different devs. Behind the scenes stuff is so fascintating. Wish you guys could convince Marty to make music for halo again.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I was one of those weirdos that didn't mind the reticle bloom. :p

i was too... until i semi-recently tried to play the campaign recently when it popped up on BC. made the combat so painful.

i was too... until i semi-recently tried to play the campaign recently when it popped up on BC. made the combat so painful.
Bloom ruined Reach's campaign for me. Although overall I just didn't enjoy it. Reach's environments were far too earthy and not enough alien imo. The colors were meh too. Some people may have like watching all of noble team die but it more annoyed me than anything. Its like the movies who unnecessarily kill off a main character or two just to be artsy for the critics or to have some big dramatic effect. Granted everyone on Reach was supposed to die, but I just didn't enjoy it. Didnt like the music either. Man I'm just railing on Reach lol.

Trup1aya

I loved everything about Reach's campaign (except the retcon, which I didn't know about until years later).

The bloom didn't bother me during the campain. It just fucked to the MP balance by essentially rewarding players who spam precision weapons at close range. But the balance was already fucked my armor abilities so I just stopped playing.

The deaths of noble team were handled well, I don't see how anyone could take exception. The whole point of the story was to show how hopeless the fight against the Covenant.

has anyone had their xbox one pack-in mic just stop working?

i spent a whole night yelling call-outs into my mic until someone in my party messaged me to say "where's your mic?".

do these things just die or some shit?

Nowise10

Unrelated but just wanted to say I think it's pretty cool the reason you decided to switch from Bungie to 343. Thats not a knock on Bungie but the fact that you knew you would have trouble getting excited to make a game like Destiny and that you were still really interested in the halo universe. And that's not a knock on Destiny either, but it does have a different play style/feel. On the flip side, I can understand why so many people would be completely burned out on Halo too. That article posted the other day was really really interesting just to see perspectives from so many different devs. Behind the scenes stuff is so fascintating. Wish you guys could convince Marty to make music for halo again.

I never knew or would have ever guessed Joe Staten and Marcus Lehto argured and didn't want to work with each other. Was one of the biggest surprises to me.

Both are my favorite game developers so I always just assumed they got along and were friends.

Huh...It wasn't my favorite, but it had a good handful of memorable combat scenarios for me. Surprised to hear that you describe it that way.

If I'm not mistaken Jem liked Halo 4 and 5's campaign so take what he says with grain of salt. Long Night of Solace is great. The rest is kind of mediocre, not bad though.

Madness

The only really good part of Reach's campaign was the ending imo.

Easily better than H4 and H5 for me. The music, variety in locales, the story and characters and then that ending.

'There'll be another time...'

I don't even remember what Cortana said to Chief at end of H4 but I remember what Jorge said, Carter said, what exactly Kat was saying before... and what Emile said etc. Still remember the music cues and cinematics as well. Don't know why. I would love a 1080p/60 or even 4K/60fps remaster of the Reach campaign. And I only really played through it once like 7 years ago, my legendary playthrough was erased by Bungie somehow and I didn't want to slog through it again so I never did.

Dunno if I noticed much with the aiming. Maybe "heavy aim" is fixed, but there is still something fundementally wrong with how it feels. Notably, I do not like how diagonal movement is still slower. I still have to use the elite controller right stick modifier to get the diagonal movement less slow/heavy.

Defect

Dunno if I noticed much with the aiming. Maybe "heavy aim" is fixed, but there is still something fundementally wrong with how it feels. Notably, I do not like how diagonal movement is still slower. I still have to use the elite controller right stick modifier to get the diagonal movement less slow/heavy.
The aim is either way too slow or way too fast for me. It is getting kinda ridiculous.

Also getting awful servers.

I never knew or would have ever guessed Joe Staten and Marcus Lehto argured and didn't want to work with each other. Was one of the biggest surprises to me.

Both are my favorite game developers so I always just assumed they got along and were friends.
Yeah that surprised me too. I've always liked Jason Jones. Its been rumored, or said in a vidoc i think, at some point he tinkered with the strength of combat evolved's pistol right before the game released. Instant hero lol.

Sordid

Hard to tell if the aiming is any better when the servers are still iffy. Went into Slayer solo and got matched against a team of 3 almost instantly as well, I thought that was changing?

Nowise10

Yeah that surprised me too. I've always liked Jason Jones. Its been rumored, or said in a vidoc i think, at some point he tinkered with the strength of combat evolved's pistol right before the game released. Instant hero lol.

I always got the feeling he is incredibly smart at what he does most of the time, but that he is hard to work. And then that article basically showed he wasn't a good leader and coordinator and disappeared for 5 years.

I always got the feeling he is incredibly smart at what he does most of the time, but that he is hard to work. And then that article basically showed he wasn't a good leader and coordinator and disappeared for 5 years.
Haha he apparently doesn't pace himself or do a good job of delegating. He tries takes on an incredible amount of work by himself, so at some point he completely exhausts himself to the point he has to take a serious break. Or at least that is the impression I got while he worked on halo. But that's probably not uncommon for most devs and usually not a choice they can make. They just have to get the work done.

NOKYARD

Easily better than H4 and H5 for me. The music, variety in locales, the story and characters and then that ending.

I don't even remember what Cortana said to Chief at end of H4 but I remember what Jorge said, Carter said, what exactly Kat was saying before... and what Emile said etc. Still remember the music cues and cinematics as well. Don't know why. I would love a 1080p/60 or even 4K/60fps remaster of the Reach campaign. And I only really played through it once like 7 years ago, my legendary playthrough was erased by Bungie somehow and I didn't want to slog through it again so I never did.

It would be nice to see some games get a "Director's Cut" treatment.

FyreWulff

Reach is the only FPS where my opinion of a character was "i hate you" towards Emile and by the last mission I was like "okay you're cool"

I Liked 4. I thought the story was good in 4 but the gameplay was ok. 5 i thought the gameplay was very good but story sucked.

2 to me is easily the worst campaign. Good story but terrible fucking gameplay. Plays nothing like CE. How Bungie thought this felt like halo is baffling to me. Hate that campaign. Its the one i despise replaying the most.

Trup1aya

This is how all MS titles (including halo) should handle ranked crossplay going forward.

Gears 4 said:
CROSSPLAY COMES TO RANKED

Xbox One and Windows 10 unite! We’re incredibly excited to enable Crossplay in Ranked Play beginning on June 6th, bringing Xbox and Windows players together in the battle to earn the highest rank possible.

For players who want to preserve the competitive spirit of console play, where all opponents run on similar hardware with similar equipment, we’ve added a Crossplay Toggle to enable Xbox One players to choose whether or not to match with players on Windows 10.

I still think a ranking system will inherently separate people who dominate DUE to their hardware, from those limited by their hardware (as we already see on PC), having a toggle, would be the best of both worlds.

Personally, I'll keep my profile open to playing anyone. If I rank up so high that I start matching good pc players using Mice- I'll welcome the additional challenge- it would only help me get even better against other controller users.

Karl2177

It would be nice to see some games get a "Director's Cut" treatment.
I'd love to see a Halo collection director's cut. "Play" stuff like the E3 demo that supposedly crashes all the time or go through a very rough version of cut levels from Halo 1, 2, 3.

Top Bottom