• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Madness

It would be nice to see some games get a "Director's Cut" treatment.

In the era of digital, this is probably doable. I look at a game like Mass Effect Andromeda and am seeing changes by patches beyond bugs.

Imagine if certain games got a directors cut variant where the lead designers go back a year later to change up some levels, things that gamers absolutely hated, improve on others etc. But I do wish the Reach campaign gets remastered at least. Have stable framerates etc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
OT, but playing sea of thieves with a friend that refuses to do anything but a party chat with him and I (on a crew of 4, in a game where talking is a must!) And all I can think of is party chat sucks and has ruined Xbox live. Halo 5 too would benefit from it's removal, as would all games. Got annoying ass fucks ruining your experience? Mute em. Got people talking off topic or only to each other? Mute em. But please, let's return to the default of forcing gamers to come together, especially in team and co-op settings.

OT, but playing sea of thieves with a friend that refuses to do anything but a party chat with him and I (on a crew of 4, in a game where talking is a must!) And all I can think of is party chat sucks and has ruined Xbox live. Halo 5 too would benefit from it's removal, as would all games. Got annoying ass fucks ruining your experience? Mute em. Got people talking off topic or only to each other? Mute em. But please, let's return to the default of forcing gamers to come together, especially in team and co-op settings.

Preach

CSGO is the only place where this kind of culture still exists.

Cranster

Banned
I'd rather not deal with immature squeakers, racists, sexists, bad music, ect.

I agree that party chat has ruined the social side of XBL, yeah you get some idiots online but you mute them.

not only is it boring these days but you don't really meet new people as a result, I could be teaming with some cool people but who knows?

party chat has really ruined the experience for me.

Fuchsdh

I've still met new people playing solo. Come across a few cool people playing MCC and H5 and had fun games when we partied up. But when you've already got a group I don't think I'm in the mood to gamble more.

word
Then mute them....
This

At the very least party chat could work like Discord/TeamSpeak on PC where you have your private chat, but can still talk and hear the other players until you mute them. Instead of push to talk, it could be push to mute yourself for convenience in game while still being able to party chat.

FyreWulff

At the very least party chat could work like Discord/TeamSpeak on PC where you have your private chat, but can still talk and hear the other players until you mute them. Instead of push to talk, it could be push to mute yourself for convenience in game while still being able to party chat.

I still remember during the transition period, since Halo 3 wasn't aware of Party Chat, you could chat in party, but the game would continue to play proximity chat to you out the speakers, so you had all the advantages of eavesdropping on the other team while being able to talk to your own without being overheard.

It's kind of funny how the original Xbox had complete in-world voice chat and in-world use of custom soundtracks (ie, some games would play them out of speakers in-game, or play segments, or even distort/stretch them out for bullet time moments). Since then we've just gone backwards in raw functionality. Voice chat is no longer placed in 3D space in the game world, and "custom soundtracks" are just the console piping in streamed music over the rest of the audio, games can't even manipulate or use it in clever ways.

IIRC there was a short lived idea at one point mentioned in an interview where the Warthog in Halo 2 could play your music out of it's speakers.

I still remember during the transition period, since Halo 3 wasn't aware of Party Chat, you could chat in party, but the game would continue to play proximity chat to you out the speakers, so you had all the advantages of eavesdropping on the other team while being able to talk to your own without being overheard.

It's kind of funny how the original Xbox had complete in-world voice chat and in-world use of custom soundtracks (ie, some games would play them out of speakers in-game, or play segments, or even distort/stretch them out for bullet time moments). Since then we've just gone backwards in raw functionality. Voice chat is no longer placed in 3D space in the game world, and "custom soundtracks" are just the console piping in streamed music over the rest of the audio, games can't even manipulate or use it in clever ways.

IIRC there was a short lived idea at one point mentioned in an interview where the Warthog in Halo 2 could play your music out of it's speakers.

Yes to all of that...

Fuchsdh

I assume that woulda' got nixed by Marty really quick, even assuming they had the time during development for that...

FyreWulff

I remember wanting an option back then to send Cortana's voice to your chat headset in campaign so you could hear her more clearly.

The only game I remember doing this was Rainbow Six.

Fuchsdh

I remember wanting an option back then to send Cortana's voice to your chat headset in campaign so you could hear her more clearly.

The only game I remember doing this was Rainbow Six.

That'd be a niche feature, but cool. I personally really hate the compression they've done to characters' voices in the 343 games to give the impression they're inside the players' head/helmet. Don't need everyone sounding so thin and doing the whole radio voice trope.

ok, i might be living in a cave [let's call this the "is charles in a cave test"], but how on earth are you playing sea of thieves?

[also yeah, i don't like party chat, it just makes chatting with my team in halo 5 take longer to set-up and stuff, i've never understood it at all]

Fuchsdh

ok, i might be living in a cave [let's call this the "is charles in a cave test"], but how on earth are you playing sea of thieves?

[also yeah, i don't like party chat, it just makes chatting with my team in halo 5 take longer to set-up and stuff, i've never understood it at all]

You can sign up for the technical alpha (i've been in it months now and still haven't been able to make a sesh.)

Fuchsdh

Another starts in 10 min!

Alas, a flotilla of people from out of town have taken over my studio/playspace. Couldn't get to my XB even if I tried. Definitely psyched to try it out though.

Also been missing playing Halo 5. Haven't even had a chance to try out the new patch, but I feel this pressure of finishing games and I've already 100% Halo, so it falls by the wayside with my limited game time these days.

It's kind of weird to say I really miss the three months after Christmas when I got my Xbox 360 and before I got a real job back in the day. Burned through Reach, Halo 3 and ODST and caught up on all the Halo I'd been missing for the better part of 6 years.

Party chat should only be for chilling in menus or the dashboard. I miss the fun times of H2 playfully shit talking the other team threw proximity chat. Met some cool people soloing too. Now adays if I play 10 games, one person will utter a word 2/10 times.

I just want proximity chat back. I long for the days of tricking enemies:

Me: (on Zanzibar) Listen up team, I'm at their right entrance with the bomb.
-enemy team proceeds to right entrance in search of bomb-
-flank in from the left to arm the bomb-

Some of the best moments.

Tashi went to my stream of Halo Reach to say "Hola" and when I told him about my goal to make it to E3 some day he said that one day I will! :')

Masterz1337

Neo Member
In the era of digital, this is probably doable. I look at a game like Mass Effect Andromeda and am seeing changes by patches beyond bugs.

Imagine if certain games got a directors cut variant where the lead designers go back a year later to change up some levels, things that gamers absolutely hated, improve on others etc. But I do wish the Reach campaign gets remastered at least. Have stable framerates etc.

It finally should with scorpio. Only took 8 years for it to run at a solid 30, I am looking forward to giving it another go. COD2 on the XB1 is pretty nifty now that it runs at a near solid 60 thanks the the performance of the VM.

jelmerjt

Thanks teammate :(

UIMj40RjrbnuE.gif

hahaha are those reqs gifted to you by other people, but you can't use them due to already having all the reqs unlocked? Nice :D

Indeed hahaha 2 months before that option I unlocked all the reqs in the game, when the monitors bounty update came out I intermediately saw 200 req gift packs from my subscribers and followers lol I did a video opening the packs and saying thank you to each person but I told them that it was no longer necessary, as you can see they did not follow my advise :p

op_ivy

I've asked a couple times with no answer, and since it's brought up again I'll try again, can you only create additional gold accounts if your x1 is set to your home x1? I "share" a console with a buddy and I can't seem to figure this out...

jem0208

I've asked a couple times with no answer, and since it's brought up again I'll try again, can you only create additional gold accounts if your x1 is set to your home x1? I "share" a console with a buddy and I can't seem to figure this out...
I'm pretty sure sharing gold only works on your home console.

op_ivy

Whelp, thats a first. Just played a slayer rig match in the slayer playlist (only ranked matchmaking would load) and none of my paddles would work. Since I have a broken lb this meant I couldn't jump. Fun times!

Hard reset and they still don't work. What the flying fuck

Top Bottom