• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon upgraded me to release date delivery for that, but I might have to cancel or something. The last 3 things I've ordered from them never showed up >_>

Fuck Amazon Logistics, seriously.

That's crappy.. Got mine preordered on Amazon as well.

My brother has had issues in the past with Amazon, think it was the Mythos.

Trup1aya

The fact that people are passionate enough to continue to provide feedback despite years of disappointment is a blessing.

I'd rather my customers hit me with blunt negative criticsm than to ignore my product altogether. Its up to me, then, to improve my product so that their feedback becomes positive.

Sure, their are a handful of people who are outright disrespectful,but for the most part people just know that a better product is within reach and just want to see their valid criticisms taken to heart so that Halo esports and Halo in general can get to a better place.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I usually don't call out much when solo q but I just played with a buddy and tried calling out and I don't know if it's just me but I actually found it way harder to play trying to call out and receiving call outs and playing at the same time. lol

I think my brain can't juggle all the responsibilities at once or something. I guess it's something you just need to practice.

Forget calling out, I can't hold a rational discussion at all while playing halo. I become 100% mush mouth.

op_ivy

Where's the community update? I only see the 17th on waypoint? (I already know the answer) any info on h5 x1x?

CyReN

I draw the line when reading through a post/posts and I say to myself "if you hate the game so much why are you on a halo forum or in a halo thread?" It can be a major turn off to me, and assume othets, when this question comes to the forefront often. I also think communities that foster and even encourage this kind of discourse are doing as much/almost as much damage to the game as any fuck up dsl or 343 does.

I don't agree with the community part, it may play a (very) small part but Microsoft and 343i will always control community and franchise hype more than fans. It's just isn't bad luck that the Halo brand as a whole and fan sites have had a downward trend since Reach / Halo 4.

Negative people suck for sure, but the product will always reign supreme at the end of the day.

op_ivy

I don't agree with the community part, it may play a (very) small part but Microsoft and 343i will always control community and franchise hype more than fans. It's just isn't bad luck that the Halo brand as a whole and fan sites have had a downward trend since Reach / Halo 4.

Negative people suck for sure, but the product will always reign supreme at the end of the day.

There's a site that is awesome for competitive talk, and even has many pros and esport industry representatives post (the ones that remember their log ins), that I try to follow because of my interest in these things but always end up in a more negative space having "caught up" than I was before. How is that not a huge blemish to the game I love playing and watching? As I tried to say before, 343 and esl deserve criticism. Mistakes and failures should be called out. But it can't dominate our discourse, otherwise that too damaged the reputation of the game we all (?) love

CyReN

There's a site that is awesome for competitive talk, and even has many pros and esport industry representatives post (the ones that remember their log ins), that I try to follow because of my interest in these things but always end up in a more negative space having "caught up" than I was before. How is that not a huge blemish to the game I love playing and watching? As I tried to say before, 343 and esl deserve criticism. Mistakes and failures should be called out. But it can't dominate our discourse, otherwise that too damaged the reputation of the game we all (?) love

Not sure you are new to the scene, but the competitive community can get wild (been like this since it's conception). Granted I think it's been ramped up in recent years with continuing problems with the league and game, yea we could do a better job moderating for sure - but at the end of the day I think we have a great community overall with great members. The good outweighs the bad from our pov, but I understand if people don't like it.

op_ivy

Not sure you are new to the scene, but the competitive community can get wild. Granted I think it's been ramped up in recent years with continuing problems with the league, yea we could do a better job moderating for sure - but at the end of the day I think we have a great community overall.

New. Started, heavily, at the first worlds or x games. ? Pretty sure it was right at/during hurricane lethul.

This is halo esports btw. I've been passionate about halo since pre CE

Where has ExWife, Fat, Prinz, etc. been? Haven't seen them in awhile, just sick of 5 like the rest of us? lol

I've actually been playing more HCS lately, way more than any other month. I'm just hoping the sandbox update doesn't screw it up too much.

Yo I'm still here! lol

Just taking a small break from H5 after playing it almost everyday since launch! I still check both HaloGAF threads everyday though :)

I do hop on H5 once in a while to play fiesta or SWAT but Elzar got me hooked on Rainbow 6 and that's where I'm spending most of my time rn.

I STILL NEED TO HIT 152!!!!!

CyReN

New. Started, heavily, at the first worlds or x games. ? Pretty sure it was right at/during hurricane lethul.

Nice, glad to see new fans.

I wouldn't take the negativity to heart, yea it sucks for sure but I think it's pretty great to see people that have stuck around from the dark years of competitive Halo still coming back every season to watch and posts. People will take things to the extreme in any community, but you hope most will keep things pretty leveled.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Exactly the same for me. 343/Halo drew me in somehow.

Great game 5 with EG/LG

Edit: think it was X Games and the Pro League format i found compelling

Trup1aya

I think it would help a lot if 343 posted on that site more often. The interaction would be much better for the tone of discourse than letting negative feedback occur in an echo chamber.

The build up to world's 2016 is what got me too! The best thing about it was that anyone had a shot - there were quite a few established rosters, but anyone could go online and participate in the cups. Watching the excitement of newcomers as they took on vets was a thing of beauty.

Then, xgames and regionals showed me how much better LANs are than online play.

Pro league was a step back from me because it separated the talent pools - which killed that *aspirational vibe* Im glad to see EU is going to an all inclusive format, and i hope NA does the same after this fall season and beyond!

Trup1aya

Reading this doesn't make me enthusiastic about the sandbox changes.

Pistols definately dont need a range nerf. And the SMGs range isn't its only issue - the main thing is its (along with all autos) lack of skillgap. Simply nerfing the range isn't going to do anything to change the fact that autos are too easy in general.

Anyway, had anyone tried the newly tweaked warzone?

Dope

hw2-awakening-the-nightmare-art-unending-b9576a01467c4e80a3ad72d484ddd275.jpg

E92 M3

Reading this doesn't make me enthusiastic about the sandbox changes.

Pistols definately dont need a range nerf. And the SMGs range isn't its only issue - the main thing is its (along with all autos) lack of skillgap. Simply nerfing the range isn't going to do anything to change the fact that autos are too easy in general.

Anyway, had anyone tried the newly tweaked warzone?

I hope they don't put all of the stupid autos back into HCS. Also, it's funny how balance changes took them over 2 years to even look at. 343 seems to have more red tape than the federal government.

I'd like to see them become a lot snappier with their updates and changes.

Trup1aya

I hope they don't put all of the stupid autos back into HCS. Also, it's funny how balance changes took them over 2 years to even look at. 343 seems to have more red tape than the federal government.

I'd like to see them become a lot snappier with their updates and changes.

I think one of their aims was to bring autos back to HCS. I think it would be cool IF autos had the proper fundamental changes to make them competively viable.

One of Menke's posts convinced me that they understand the issue- their is no skill gap with autos.
Limiting the range doesn't change this. CQC will go back from being a show of skill, to a matter of rock-paper-scissors.

Edit: for the record- proper balancing doesn't mean make the guns useless or boring to use. It just means there should be a potential to outplay and autouser in CQC

E92 M3

I think one of their aims was to bring autos back to HCS. I think it would be cool IF autos had the proper fundamental changes to make them competively viable.

One of Menke's posts convinced me that they understand the issue- their is no skill gap with autos.
Limiting the range doesn't change this. CQC will go back from being a show of skill, to a matter of rock-paper-scissors.

Edit: for the record- proper balancing doesn't mean make the guns useless or boring to use. It just means there should be a potential to outplay and autouser in CQC

Personally, I find pistol battles to be so much more enjoyable. I never want to see another autorifle in competitive Halo.

Trup1aya

Personally, I find pistol battles to be so much more enjoyable. I never want to see another autorifle in competitive Halo.

I agree pistol battles are more enjoyable. But it think that's in part because autos currently operate in an uninteresting way.

Change that, and I'd be open to seeing them return. It's the "easy-to-master" bullet hose design that makes them unenjoyable. Too bad it doesn't sound like such changes are in the works- though tbf, these posts have been pretty vague.

The more I've thought about it, the more I've come around to the Funknown View of sandbox balancing - CE had it right, every game since has had it various levels of wrong. A single powerful utility weapon surrounded by a nimbus of more niche weapons is the way to go.

In that spirit, autos should have more distinct behaviors and interact with other parts of the sandbox to make up for their more simplistic/noob-friendly archetype. AR extending camo from CE is a good starting point. Then take the SMG and dial the recoil waaaaaaay up. SAW, I think it'd be a good idea to give a windup time and have it interact with Overshield in some way (as befitting its AR+ status). Suppressor, it'd be cool to have it do something like knock people out of sprint or lock down Thruster or something. Then add the plasma stun back to the Storm Rifle.

Accompany all this with a general damage nerf, so that precision weapon TTK is always higher, and I think you've got something.

Juan

I agree pistol battles are more enjoyable. But it think that's in part because autos currently operate in an uninteresting way.

Change that, and I'd be open to seeing them return. It's the "easy-to-master" bullet hose design that makes them unenjoyable. Too bad it doesn't sound like such changes are in the works- though tbf, these posts have been pretty vague.

Out of curiosity, how would you balance the auto in a Halo game? Because, I mean, autos are autos, they don't really require skill to be used, they are not precision weapons, so I'm curious how you would increase the skill gap for autos.

Madness

Don't know if this had been posted yet or has been debunked. Just saw it floating around.

21083414_1773774485969240_5812971675119564778_o.jpg

Probably fake. No way Halo 6 comes next year when we didn't even get a teaser at E3. They've promised betas for their games. Just don't see it. Look how long it takes 343 to do simple thinga likr map tuning, forge testing or sandbox updates. Plus that kind of picture is poor quality, and random Dino Crisis or Dead Rising no name or sequel number for 2019?

Where has ExWife, Fat, Prinz, etc. been? Haven't seen them in awhile, just sick of 5 like the rest of us? lol

I've actually been playing more HCS lately, way more than any other month. I'm just hoping the sandbox update doesn't screw it up too much.

Yo dawg, I'll be on tonight.

I was at an internship at prestigious location, and had to move back to my university, where people bro so hard they die, for the start of the semester. Will hopefully be on more regularly (on weekends) from now on.

Also this thread gives me a headache since I don't care about HCS, and for everything else we are at the stage of post-release where the updates are marginal and far between.

jem0208

I had an idea for an auto which I think would work to be both powerful and skillful to use.

Basically completely remove bullet spread and add strong but controllable vertical recoil for full auto fire.

NOKYARD

Lmao... saving link out to try and remember to put it in next week. That's gold.

Yeah, that's one of the scripters involved with enhancing the H3 Classic Playlist. He's 99% responsible for creating Static Timed Weapons.

This spawns every 2 minutes, precisely on the 2 minute mark of the game clock. (i made the stand)

BizzyBum

Yo I'm still here! lol

Just taking a small break from H5 after playing it almost everyday since launch!

Also this thread gives me a headache since I don't care about HCS, and for everything else we are at the stage of post-release where the updates are marginal and far between.

Ha, yeah that's what I figured. Long breaks are a must now.

Don't know if this had been posted yet or has been debunked. Just saw it floating around.

21083414_1773774485969240_5812971675119564778_o.jpg

Even if it's fake I still think that's the date we'll see Halo 6 around.

Top Bottom