• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Fuchsdh

They must like camping lifts.

Halo 3 had a lot of bad maps, Snowbound, Orbital, Epitaph, Construct, default Foundry and Isolation were all pretty bad.

And it'd only be worse now with Reach and on's better motion tracker, but even without it, it's just not that fun. Grav lifts are only slightly better than teleporters.

jem0208

Halo 3 had a lot of bad maps, Snowbound, Orbital, Epitaph, Construct, default Foundry and Isolation were all pretty bad.
Halo 5’s map selection gets a lot of undue shit imo. It may not have the classics compared to other games in the series (although personally I think nostalgia has a pretty big impact on that) but besides the DLC maps it has a consistent quality the others lack.

Almost every arena map the game launched with is decent for at least a couple of the game modes. You can’t say that about most Halos.

I'd say the only really bad maps 5 launched with is Orion and maybe Pegasus. Empire isn't great but it's not bad either. Besides that they're all either solid or great.

I do understand the complaints about the art style though, even though I don’t particularly care about that in multiplayer.

ManCannon

Wasn't your GAF name Dream Crusher tho?

I honestly can't remember if I ever officially had the "Dream Crusher" username or not, but this has been the only GAF account I've used in a long, long time. I may have changed it at some point but I seriously can't recall. #seniormoment

You recently placed an order(s) for the Halo 5: Guardians - Gold REQ Pack. This new reward proved to be so popular that the demand is overwhelming. Due to this we're temporarily out of stock of the codes.

Let me assure you that we're working hard to get additional codes and hope to process your order(s) as soon as possible. Please bear with us.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I got the same email.. how do you run out of unlimited XBL micro-transaction codes, lol

Construct is a horrible map.

Blasphemy.

It's a wee bit flawed, but I enjoy it. Tweak some of the camping spots, and it would be really fun in Halo 5's sandbox.

Missed out on the gold pack deal (difficult to get it anyway as I need to ask help for the phone verification) so if any of you cool people has any spare left (when you eventually get them of course lol) I would be happy to take those off you for a reasonable price.

Kibbles

Was checking out my Microsoft Rewards thingy today and saw they had Halo 5 Gold Req Packs for 45-50 Reward Points each.

https://account.microsoft.com/rewards/redeem/000400000041

Is it just me or does that seem kinda mispriced considering how much else everything else is in points? It's like 4500 points just for a 5$ digital code, and these packs are usually 2.99$ and only cost 45-50 points? I don't know if there's a catch or not, but I'm probably gonna get a crap ton as I don't know what else to spend my points on and I love halo 5 multi haha.
I don't see them anywhere :S

Edit: lame this would've got me to jump back on. Back to Battlefield .

Missed out on the gold pack deal (difficult to get it anyway as I need to ask help for the phone verification) so if any of you cool people has any spare left (when you eventually get them of course lol) I would be happy to take those off you for a reasonable price.

Is it a low-key code begging thread now???

Because I will also gladly take some off people's hands...

Halo 5’s map selection gets a lot of undue shit imo. It may not have the classics compared to other games in the series (although personally I think nostalgia has a pretty big impact on that) but besides the DLC maps it has a consistent quality the others lack.

Almost every arena map the game launched with is decent for at least a couple of the game modes. You can’t say that about most Halos.

I'd say the only really bad maps 5 launched with is Orion and maybe Pegasus. Empire isn't great but it's not bad either. Besides that they're all either solid or great.

I do understand the complaints about the art style though, even though I don’t particularly care about that in multiplayer.

Could not disagree more, only "solid" maps are Truth, Coli, Eden. Everything else ranges from "meh" to "fire the designer".

FyreWulff

I liked Orbital, but a lot of people had issue with it because it was hard to mentally map out two overlaid horseshoes in your mind for position awareness. It took me like a month to naturally know where i was on the map at all times.

Karl2177

Could not disagree more, only "solid" maps are Truth, Coli, Eden. Everything else ranges from "meh" to "fire the designer".
I'd agree with this. I'd probably add Fathom in there, but I can see why some people aren't a fan.
I liked Orbital, but a lot of people had issue with it because it was hard to mentally map out two overlaid horseshoes in your mind for position awareness. It took me like a month to naturally know where i was on the map at all times.
Orbital played decently for one sided objectives. Sadly the only time that ever showed up in matchmaking was the 2 months that the Mythic grab bag list was up.

And a lot of that to me is due to the constant repeating of the aesthetics. But yeah, really lacking in good classic maps. This game has none in arena. (not counting the Bungie remakes) . I do like that Heaven one. its the only one from them that i like.

That new elite planet one in warzone i actually really really like. If they could make more maps like that (alien looking but still fun) id be a lot happier.

Madness

I find that those are also the maps that have more open sightlines and larger middle hub areas that allow for verticality, larger grenade arcs, a less claustrophobic feeling. Compare Truth with Regret. It is the same reason Plaza plays and works well compared to Overrowth.

A lot of Halo 5 maps are very corridor focused, some areas remind me of the elevator room of swordbase, just a nade spam and multiple shots areas.

I feel 5 has a pretty comparable selection of good 4v4 maps compared to entries past. Looking at the maps that I really enjoyed for 4v4:

Halo CE:
Prisoner
Damnation
Chill Out
Hang 'Em High
Battle Creek

Halo 2:
Lockout
Midship
Ascension
Zanzibar
Beaver Creek
Sanctuary

Halo 3:
The Pit
Heretic
Blackout
Citadel
Narrows
Cold Storage

Halo Reach:
Countdown

Halo 4:
Haven
Monolith
Skyline
Pitfall

Halo 5:
Truth
Eden
Coliseum
Fathom
Mercy
Stasis
Plaza

Halo 5 actually has more maps I enjoy overall. There are certainly some really bad lows (Overgrowth, Riptide and Molten), but overall I like it more.

social slayer kids hatin on Contruct.

Contruct like Countdown is a fantastic map without radar in compettive play
I think you meant "without radar and with a different weapon set on map and starting weapons and with altered movement" then its somewhat decent.

I do find it odd that people praise Countdown (in any form) and proceed to complain about H5 having corridor maps.

yeah, people love to hate on H5 maps, but as far as i'm concerned, i've never been so addicted to Halo's 4v4 MP gameplay before.

sure, a LOT of that has to do with the new mechanics, but i just feel like the team arena playlist is really tightly designed [map-wise].

honestly no complaints here, lots of classic material for me.

slayer on the other hand...

i've just started exploring the slayer playlist, and there's a few stinkers in there.

For an anniversary playlist, I would have preferred map remakes with Halo 5's mechanics in mind, plus vanilla pistol starts. Since it's the 15th anniversary of Halo in general, it would have been nice to have remakes from all games instead of just Halo CE. I know a lot of other people wanted no spartan abilities, etc, but go play MCC if you want that.

Akai__

Hang 'Em High in the Throwback Playlist is just the perfect example of why I dislike hitscan. That map plays so bad with a Halo CE hitscan Magnum. Pretty much ruins an otherwise great map.

I think you meant "without radar and with a different weapon set on map and starting weapons and with altered movement" then its somewhat decent.

I do find it odd that people praise Countdown (in any form) and proceed to complain about H5 having corridor maps.

It was only really enjoyable in MLG and when it was KotH. Vanilla version was just pretty bad, but so was everything 4vs4 vanilla Halo 3.

Countdown will always leave a sour taste in my mouth. Vanilla settings with Sprint, Shotgun and Sword is just terrible on every level. MLG CTF was okay on it, I guess. Still a pretty bad Halo map, though.

I honestly can't remember if I ever officially had the "Dream Crusher" username or not, but this has been the only GAF account I've used in a long, long time. I may have changed it at some point but I seriously can't recall. #seniormoment
I feel like you did get the name changed, yeah.

It was only really enjoyable in MLG and when it was KotH. Vanilla version was just pretty bad, but so was everything 4vs4 vanilla Halo 3.

I sort of agree with this, but in a way it proves my point even more. Not only is it not the standard map, standard weapons, movement, etc, but also only good on one specific gametype in one playlist (which, despite what beyond will claim, the majority of players didn't mess with).

I guess what I'm wondering is how much of the core gameplay and map design and setup has to be altered before we can call it what it is? Nostalgia for a specific playlist, and the later versions of that playlist at that.

Claiming Construct is great is absurd, and claiming MLG KOTH Construct version whatever-point-oh is great is a totally different discussion. MLG is responsible for that map, not the developer. Developer launch maps are historically poop in the last decade.

Akai__

I sort of agree with this, but in a way it proves my point even more. Not only is it not the standard map, standard weapons, movement, etc, but also only good on one specific gametype in one playlist (which, despite what beyond will claim, the majority of players didn't mess with).

I guess what I'm wondering is how much of the core gameplay and map design and setup has to be altered before we can call it what it is? Nostalgia for a specific playlist, and the later versions of that playlist at that.

Claiming Construct is great is absurd, and claiming MLG KOTH Construct version whatever-point-oh is great is a totally different discussion. MLG is responsible for that map, not the developer. Developer launch maps are historically poop in the last decade.

Agree with all of this.

I'm not sure about Halo CE, but other than that 3rd parties (or Halo community) have like always done a better job at giving us better gametypes and even map presets, than actual developers for competetive Halo.

Announced a while back, over a month or two ago. They might've made note of it again, but I haven't noticed.

is this typical of other MP shooters' ranking systems?

literally don't play anything else as religiously so honest question here.

curious what the "status quo" is per se, as i find this very frustrating... at least for Halo.

is this typical of other MP shooters' ranking systems?
Same as you, I don't play many other shooters or games with ranks. I would think so though as it makes sense, but the issue I take with it in H5 is that there's no party matching and quitters are rampant.

Hopefully the Custom Games Browser will help with this in the future, assuming of course Halo 6 has one. I'd like for 2 ranked playlists only (Team Arena, TS), with there only being like 4 others in Arena (Social Team Arena, BTB, Action Sack Casual (fun minigames), Action Sack Hardcore (Snipers, Breakout)). For these unranked playlists, I think it would be beneficial to design them as "quickplay" lobbies that keeps everyone together from game to game, while mixing up the teams unless you're in a party, and allows for Join In Progress.
I remember rat race being bad... but not THIS bad...
You take that back!

Trup1aya

Same as you, I don't play many other shooters or games with ranks. I would think so though as it makes sense, but the issue I take with it in H5 is that there's no party matching and quitters are rampant.

Hopefully the Custom Games Browser will help with this in the future, assuming of course Halo 6 has one. I'd like for 2 ranked playlists only (Team Arena, TS), with there only being like 4 others in Arena (Social Team Arena, BTB, Action Sack Casual (fun minigames), Action Sack Hardcore (Snipers, Breakout)). For these unranked playlists, I think it would be beneficial to design them as "quickplay" lobbies that keeps everyone together from game to game, while mixing up the teams unless you're in a party, and allows for Join In Progress.

You take that back!

I stand by it!

Top Bottom