• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

nOoblet16

You know this has been bugging me for awhile, I don't quite understand why in review threads yall include reviews by sites that sound unprofessional by their name alone and give everything 9+ scores. Everyone gets hyped and then bigger websites come in and the scores are lower.
Because you don't judge the quality of a website's content just based on its name. This is video games we are talking about after all...if there is any media for which unprofessional sounding websites can still be relevant then it's this.

I mean one of the the biggest websites is just called Gametrailers and another is called Giantbomb.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My daughter's going to pick it up for me tonight, but I won't have time to play until Friday. Maybe Thursday night if I'm lucky :(

About what I was expecting.

Glad the multiplayer is getting such good reviews. Thats where I spend all my time. The campaign is usually just a one time play through for me.

Weird that they still might not have put a solid standalone story though. Hopefully they can iron out that stuff in the next one.

The problem I had with the story, apart from the theme and the characters they use to tell this story, was that it finishes when you think it's getting started. The last level for instance, didn't feel anything like a climax...and for that reason it felt very anti climatic.

And I think it works sometimes for trilogy stories. Empire Strikes back, your hoping for some huge battle, Vader comes in destroying, drops truth bomb, and then leaves you hanging. It's not a bad thing and the reveal of what is happening at the end in the story on Halo 5 was the biggest "climax" moment persay.

Alucrid

Banned
Because you don't judge the quality of a website's content just based on its name. This is video games we are talking about after all...if there is any media for which unprofessional sounding websites can still be relevant then it's this.

I mean one of the the biggest websites is just called Gametrailers.
I like gametrailers but their mainstream relevance fell off the map years ago. No way are they one of the biggest sites.

You know this has been bugging me for awhile, I don't quite understand why in review threads yall include reviews by sites that sound unprofessional by their name alone and give everything 9+ scores. Everyone gets hyped and then bigger websites come in and the scores are lower.

BioGamerGirl

Never forget.

There is also sites that give a good write up and then throw a 7.5 out there. All websites have different criteria and different review scales. Read the damn reviews. The numbers are not a precise measure by any means on the quality of a game. It can only give you an idea.

Raybunny

Giantbomb was one of the few I read and gave me an idea of what to expect. I will play the game expecting nothing. At least I wont be disappointed.

Been jumping between SP and MP for the last 2 hours. Man..... I'm in love.

3119047-so_good.gif

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Not surprising to see the harsh words for the story and writing. The Halo story has completely gone off the rails for me. I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Alucrid

Banned
There is also sites that give a good write up and then throw a 7.5 out there. All websites have different criteria and different review scales. Read the damn reviews. The numbers are not a precise measure by any means on the quality of a game. It can only give you an idea.
What about the two reviews that are in Italian and the one whose language is unknown in the op

nOoblet16

And I think it works sometimes for trilogy stories. Empire Strikes back, your hoping for some huge battle, Vader comes in destroying, drops truth bomb, and then leaves you hanging. It's not a bad thing and the reveal of what I'd happening in the story on Halo 5 was the biggest "climax" moment persay.
Yea but 343 already said that this isn't a trilogy anymore. They also said Halo 5 is going to be a self contained story...but we end uo getting stuff like that (what I described) and reliance on extended universe.

I mean one of the the biggest websites is just called Gametrailers and another is called Giantbomb.

The name thing didn't carry much weight in my post. It's more like I've written for a small site, and I've seen how for most writers at that level it's easy to give incredible scores to all games, especially when they are Halo and especially if they are provided by the publisher (no idea if that happened here).

methodman

Banned
Great scores, but Too bad it doesn't have any local multi online. Bought every other halo but won't be buying this one because of that :(

BokehKing

Banned
Are we taking the mature respect to disregarding bad or low reviews because it's halo? Could we try doing this for all review threads going forward?

nOoblet16

The name thing didn't carry much weight in my post. It's more like I've written for a small site, and I've seen how for most writers at that level it's easy to give incredible scores to all games, especially when they are Halo and especially if they are provided by the publisher (no idea if that happened here).
Yea true I agree with that bit.
A lot of times reviewers cannot see past their love for the game/series and hence can't point out obvious flaws.

Flipyap

It has great world building, but the actual overarching story is a bit of a mess.
If you focus mainly on the Arbiter's story arc, it's pretty darn great. Even the ending comes at an appropriate time for that character. Not so much if you're in it for Ol' Johnny.

Vinc

Are we taking the mature respect to disregarding bad or low reviews because it's halo? Could we try doing this for all review threads going forward?

There aren't very many of those, to be fair. If we're to talk about negative aspects (and I'd like to, but I plan on playing the game before I do so myself), I'd prefer we discuss the negative points mentioned in reviews rather than focusing on "negative reviews" themselves.

Alucrid

Banned
Because you think they aren't relevant doesn't mean they aren't big though.
No, because their main driver back in the day was trailers, which is all youtube territory now. Combine that with the semi recent layoffs of a large part of their staff, defy media acquisition and it being run by a small crew and you can see why it's not on eof the biggest sites out there.

nOoblet16

I think I'm gonna try to change the region of my Xbox to Australia and see if the multiplayer works. The MP was locked for people who got their copies early.

I have read every single review and the folks amplifying that idea are not representative of all the reviews. I suggest you pick a few at random and not get involved in forum selection bias. This happens in every review thread. Not just Halo.

Someone finds an negative aspect or element that confirms what they suspected about the game and repeats it for pages and pages. There's probably a word for it, or a psychology paper waiting to be written.

So again, pick some reviews at random and see what consensus you find.

Even my Dutch review? No wonder you hate Belgium.

Sjefen

That tweet from Ryan is amazing, he is biggest fan of Halo. Even when MCC had so much problems he barely touched the subject on the podcast. I wonder if he explains in more depth on tommorrows podcast, what he didn't like. Most reviewers seem to be happy with the campaign.

mchiodo1

Neo Member
343 you know what has to be done

Joe_staten.jpg

YES, i was about to say that, as someone who waits three years to play the story in halo, this is disappointing... 343 pay joe staten what he wants, if he wants a plane get him a new plane, cause we need him writing stories for halo again, especially since were going back to the ring world in h6

shoreu

I'm actually ecstatic about the review scores. I was answering a question. If I was "coping" sending him to read reviews for himself wouldn't really help me with my existential distress.

It's up for folks who have the LEs or enabled versions. I believe you can't see the whole thing unless you're logged in with an account connected to that purchase. It's not free.

how many acts are there?

If you focus mainly on the Arbiter's story arc, it's pretty darn great. Even the ending comes at an appropriate time for that character. Not so much if you're in it for Ol' Johnny.

I loved Halo 2's campaign but I would have been pissed if I had to wait years for Halo 3 after that ending lol. Overall I thought it was great, especially the Arbiters arc.

YES, i was about to say that, as someone who waits three years to play the story in halo, this is disappointing... 343 pay joe staten what he wants, if he wants a plane get him a new plane, cause we need him writing stories for halo again, especially since were going back to the ring world in h6

He's already back working for MS, they just need to transfer him over.

tuna_love

Banned
That's very strange.

Are you on the NXOE?

If so, I'd recommend you file a bug report and post on the offical forums.
Nah im not. Sorted it out. Had the preorder on ssd but I swapped default install to internal so it flipped out. I can play now. :)

LordOfChaos

"Confusing plot" seems to be a common thread in the less glowing reviews, I read most of the books and don't find the game plots confusing, but it's a shame that this continues on like 4 at not really explaining much of the wider EU to non-book readers/other content consumers. They should have some sort of optional story expositions on that, that aren't hidden terminals.

That said, I think at least listening to Hunt the Truth would be a great help going into this, it's a great audio series, shockingly well done.

And...While I'm at it...The Forerunner trilogy (Cryptum/Primordium/Silentium) is just some plain good hard sci-fi, let alone one based on a game. Greg Bear did an amazing job with it. It's also the best exposition you want going into Halo 4/5.

And if you get through those two you'll probably gobble up everything else anyways :p

Top Bottom