• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

It's sad that people now think an 86 metacritic score is "too low"...besides, not all the reviews are out yet. Play the damn game or yourself before you do a drive by shitposting.

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...eId=27533585&bbsId=G005&itemId=47&pageIndex=1

One of the players has cleared campaign in 5.5 hours. lol

That's too short.

Yeah but there's multiplayer as well. Besides, that's just one player. The average I have seen is ~8 hours. Play it for yourself before you decide it's "too short".

Krujo

Banned
thanks shandy706 for taking the time to do that. I was worried as well since I only play the single player in Halo anymore. I'm glad to here it's not the train wreck that most of the people on here are making it sound like.

Guerrilla

Reading reactions throughout the thread I thought maybe the campaign was seen as not so good..

...then I went through the ACTUAL reviews and..

Every single one of those are from a different review..lol. Seems the campaign is pretty good and a blast to play through. Had me worried as I'm more of a campaign person than multiplayer.

That's from 22 of the reviews...I can only read so much..haha

Looking forward to tomorrow.

yeah, its crazy if you compare the actual reviews with this thread...

Madness

Man so high 80s is somehow a bad thing? Lmao

It's why I dislike review aggregation, as if all reviews are equal in their content or scoring. I mean Digital Spy gave the game 3 out of 5 stars which is technically '60%' but it's a star system for a reason instead of numerical. Destructoid and Digital Spy are the two outliers I see early, while a handful of sites I don't even know have given it perfect as well (no game is perfect).

Vitor711

Imagine Zelda U coming out.
Imagine Zelda U getting a 89 metascore.
Imagine NintendoGAF/ZeldaGAF burning everything to the ground.

Zelda fans are WEIRD though. Doesn't everyone agree that SkyWard Sword was God-awful? And somehow that got a ridiculously high metacritic score on release. Reviewers tend to skew positively to Zelda, despite the fact that the last two mainline entries have been thoroughly underwhelming.

nOoblet16

Eh, MGS V, The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Destiny: The Taken King, Pillars of Eternity, Super Mario Maker, Ori and the Blind Forest, Batman: Arkham Knight, Uncharted Collection, and more all ended up with a higher score than the 86 rating that Halo 5 sits at now. I don't think it's a stretch to say that these scores are at least somewhat disappointing.
You should read what I wrote again, I said it is harder for games to score 90+ on metacritic these days if it's a big release....I didn't say 86+.

And it's especially even harder for a shooter.

Reading reactions throughout the thread I thought maybe the campaign was seen as not so good..

Every single one of those are from a different review..lol. Seems the campaign is pretty good and a blast to play through. Had me worried as I'm more of a campaign person than multiplayer.

Ryan's twitter impressions are worth at least 35 full reviews by my count. Trash campaign confirmed.

Footos22

3 of the 15 missions just has you walking around talking to ppl. Please tell me this isn't true.... Momentum killers right there.

I'm not too worried about those things though. I just hope it has a decent length, cause that was promised to us. One thing I read in this thread I didn't like is that the game leaves you hanging and you'll be like... That's it? I was hoping for a big bang ending with a sick boss fight, but it sounds like that won't be the case.

Yeah it's not sounding good. Seems more effort was put into multi-player and the story might have suffered.

Actually no your right in one regard. When looking at the game and giving your overall impressions it is important to separate multi player and single player into two categories, and scoring them does that very well. But for buying advice the score separation can be confusing.

But maybe people are disagreeing with me because reviews aren't used as buying advice anymore, but a critique of the game. And that's fine, but i still see reviews as trying to inform the potential customers what this game is like and in that scenario multiple scores are just weird and they make scores even more important. Which in my eyes is a bad thing.
I think people will decide for themselves to buy or not buy a game when they read well made reviews. A high score can basicly be translated as a buying advice for that reviewer.
Some people just play online, some play just SP, some play both. It's good to get a fast overview of your pointof interest i think. And then make up your own mind.

Would you be against a split review? Ofcourse with a nice conclusion covering both parts.

SpacLock

Lol what's everyone's problem? This game is getting killer scores. Midnight can't come soon enough! First time I have taken work off for a game since, well, ever.

I skipped school for GTA 3.

oti

Banned
Zelda fans are WEIRD though. Doesn't everyone agree that SkyWard Sword was God-awful? And somehow that got a ridiculously high metacritic score on release. Reviewers tend to skew positively to Zelda, despite the fact that the last two mainline entries have been thoroughly underwhelming.

Skyward Sword is

A
M
A
Z
I
N
G

!

AP90

It's sad that people now think an 86 metacritic score is "too low"...besides, not all the reviews are out yet. Play the damn game or yourself before you do a drive by shitposting.

Yeah but there's multiplayer as well. Besides, that's just one player. The average I have seen is ~8 hours. Play it for yourself before you decide it's "too short".

Wonder if that player who cleared it in 5.5h actually enjoyed the game and made use of his surrounding's (also I wonder if he played the game on easy... Any reviewer who has played halo before should at least be playing through it on normal if not heroic IMO). People who just power through a game the first time they play it make me laugh. Hope reviewers dont do that.. Granted there are a lot more of them now, so it does have an increased possibility of happening.

It's sad that people now think an 86 metacritic score is "too low"...besides, not all the reviews are out yet.

Look, the metacritic score isn't everything and there's certainly been several games rated below an 86 that I ended up absolutely loving.

But you can't deny that when the first original entry in three years arrives on what is one of the biggest and highest caliber franchises that gaming has to offer, the expectation is 90+ metacritic scores. 86 is a bit disappointing, no matter how you might want to defend it.

stay gold

87 is the highest rating any console exclusive has earned this year.

Best wishes.

People need to get used to seeing their favourite games not getting a 90+ meta by default. It seems last gens weird circle jerk over every decent game is over, thankfully.

87 is a great score.

Cripshay

Banned
Digital Spy

TpexV6Q.png

I would notate that Polygon score is provisional like Gamespot I think they are waiting for the servers to go live to see how to cope under real workd conditions

jrush64

Banned

Yeah no. Skywayd Sword is fucking Amazing. Still Amazing today. Don't know what you're talking about.

Wow. I can't believe how easily I got sucked into disinterest after a few less than excited tweets and posts. Thanks for compiling these man

Gascoigne

Banned
Wow, didn't expect scores this high after 4 and MCC. The story complaints seem to contradict the assertion that it's a long campaign, but the multiplayer sounds awesome.

VinFTW

Look, the metacritic score isn't everything and there's certainly been several games rated below an 86 that I ended up absolutely loving.

But you can't deny that when the first original entry in three years arrives on what is one of the biggest and highest caliber franchises that gaming has to offer, the expectation is 90+ metacritic scores. 86 is a bit disappointing, no matter how you might want to defend it.

So overdramatic lol

It's not disappointing in any regard these days. Not to mention most of the major retailers haven't given scores.

Let's put down the pitch forks for a bit, eh? :p

AP90

I really doubt any Xbox exclusive will surpass the 90 metacritic again.

This for halo. I mean it is the 7 halo game released in the franchis so id say its doing pretty well

Edit: I wouldn't write off XB1, every console has its ups and downs for exclusives including PS4. Also, there are a lot more reviewers and critics this Gen, then there were the last few gens.. And as of this Gen and late last Gen, I definitely feel that the reviewers rush through things to be the first or in the top 5 for reviewing a game to get the webpage views.

Metacritic self-corrects from time to time, just like the Dow Jones. All those 90+ games last gen? Shit was a veritable housing bubble. No way those games were all 90+.

Top Bottom