• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

16BitNova

Here's for the HaloGAF people.

3HMO8e6l.jpg

Don't expect a traditional review here. I'm taking a look at the campaign, the story, playing as the Chief, the future of the franchise and oddly enough, spoiler culture. I'm not delving into any big spoiler material, either, so it's relatively safe for those who've yet to play it. Everything I openly discuss has been seen in streams already.

That said, I wrote it for HaloGAF, so if you're not a Halo fan you're often gonna wonder what the hell I'm talking about.

There are spoilers in this review. God damnit, man. Coulda warned me...

Edit. Never mind, you actually say you don't delve into spoiler stuff. But yes you do. Spoilers
Cortana still alive is a huge spoiler!

I get why people are upset about the lack of Chief missions, but the way the game tells its story still makes it all about him. I never felt like Locke and company were trying to steal the show. They're constantly on the Chief's heels, piecing together his motivations. I really feel as though 343 pulled that off well. I really wouldn't dismiss the game on that fact alone, you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

No big spoilers. What you're referring to was already shown in several streams, which is why I mention "Everything I openly discuss has been seen in streams already."

Folks need to start being mindful of others and put spoiler tags on sh!t. Anyhow, does not matter to me much.

Seems the gameplay is top notch once again, and thats all I care about. Does it play well and has good gameplay, if yes, I'm sold 1000x. Same as Destiny, weak story, but I'm still loving it cause it has solid controls and gameplay mechanics. Already preloaded H5.

Good reviews so far, will probably pick it up on Friday just hope I can avoid spoilers till then.

Edit: I already expected a weak story mode since it's 343 but happy how the MP turned out.

Freeman

Banned

Edit. Never mind, you actually say you don't delve into spoiler stuff. But yes you do. Spoilers
Cortana still alive is a huge spoiler!

Is that even a spoiler? Assuming that is true and not a joke its exactly what I expected and I I've played two Halo games and didn't finish any of them.

Joaby

Neo Member
It feels to me that you're just still upset Halo is not with Bungie anymore. Its not like this kind of abrupt ending is something that uncommon, specially from a game that clearly intended to continue telling its story in a next game.
I wasn't actually that thrilled with Bungie's later work on the series. I can't explain it without spoiling shit hardcore, but this isn't some 'oh I thought this would go on longer' this is some 'cool here comes the big explosive final act and oh my god the credits are rolling'.

Modern game design where running to the finish line is rewarded while delegating level and encounter design to pretty spaces and flashy QTE to look at. Yeah, no thanks. If anything, Halo’s sandbox openness is the core element of the gameplay. Not to say there isn’t a place where it should be done once or twice, but it becoming a large part of core is something I rather not advocate.

All I'm seeing while reading that review is "Exploration is bad, I wanna play a movie."

What exploration? "The rest of the larger maps featuring vehicles still force players down corridors — just wider, vehicle-sized corridors than the rest of the game." If 343i made a game with a whole stack of exploration and sandbox openness then I'd be all about it. I specifically mentioned that. "...the grandest set-pieces of the series often took place in massive maps, and they featured multiple waves of enemies that players fought against using vehicles. In these moments, killing every single enemy is a joy as you spend as much time as you can careening through a massive map in a tank or an alien dogfighter, and it was in these battles that the essence of Halo was generated."

Halo 5 doesn't have that. It has one level which is sort of like that, but otherwise your SOL. If 343i want to make a corridor shooter then they shouldn't adhere to kill chamber design -- that's what I'm saying.

ShamePain

Banned
I think an interesting plot point would be Chief looking for his long lost parents that he was taken away from, rediscovering humanity and fitting back into human society, doing a 9-5 office job, drinking beer with Blue Team, etc.

Hearing how short the campaign length is and how we barely play as master chief really makes me sad. I primarily love and play halo for its amazing campaigns .

I even loved 4 so I have hopes this is as good as that , but I want to play as chief and I want a longer campaign !!

Just because you don't play as him all the time, doesn't mean the story isn't his.

Locke is in pursuit of Chief. Chief is the focal point of the story.

Yeah but i can see why people would be disappointed, i sure am after reading it. I definitely expected something like Halo 2, several levels per character. I am not too worried about length though. Apparently it's similar to Halo 4 and that's not what i call short....

KevinG

So is the story mainly disappointing because it borrows from the Expanded Universe so much? I'm vaguely familiar with the EU. I just want an epic campaign. Epic set pieces and great gameplay.

16BitNova

Is that even a spoiler? Assuming that is true and not a joke its exactly what I expected and I I've played two Halo games and didn't finish any of them.

Well the last Halo game I played was 4. Coming from that, yes it's a spoiler. Was I hoping it would happen, yes, did I know, no. It would have been nice to be surprised while playing.

Euron

Eh. Honestly Halo 3 is my favorite FPS Campaign of all time and I would actually call the story "bad"

Are there big open levels with vehicles in 5? If so then the game is fine. I've learned with Halo reviews is that you really need to know the critics before you pass judgment. Some just want the series to be CoD an their lower scores will reflect that.

AHindD

Well the last Halo game I played was 4. Coming from that, yes it's a spoiler. Was I hoping it would happen, yes, did I know, no. It would have been nice to be surprised while playing.

Should you really be reading ANY review then? Even reviews marked as containg no spoilers? It sounds like you dont ant ANY story elements revealed (and its understandable). So dont read reviews, its risky business.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
My favourite campaign of the series didn't even have Master Chief
until right at the end

*shrug*

ShogunX

Well my review is live: http://bestgameever.co.uk/2015/10/26/halo-5-guardians-hail-to-the-king/

''I have seen some panic online in the last few weeks with regards to the ratio of gameplay as each team, specifically the boots you spend time in – Locke or Master Chief. To put this to rest, I will say this – Yes, you do indeed play more as Locke than you do as the Master Chief, but it serves the story far better than playing as our favourite Spartan all the time. To ease your fears somewhat, the game and the tale it tells is all about the Master Chief and Blue Team, regardless of the the virtual boots you’re ground-pounding in.'' 5/5

Glowing review that should calm the fears of a few about campaign.

Hmmm alot of "who gives a shit about the story" posts in here..surely destiny plays just as well and we know how that turned out.

But anyway glad to see its reviewing well! Picking up an xbox this holiday season.

Doran902

When people say they are dissapointed int he story do they mean the narrative or the missions and level design / gameplay. I can get bye with a poor narrative as long as the actual missions are fun to play. The Halo lore has never grabbed me but the gameplay and mp have. Coop campaign is the way for me.

16BitNova

Halo Fall of Reach Animated series is up on Halo Channel. You can watch Halsey kidnap children.

I bought the Limited Edition just for this. And now it's free. Lol oh well. I don't see the point in making a selling point in the Limited Edition if it was just going to go up on The Halo Channel for free anyway though. Tricky bastards.

k1t4j

Great reviews, can't wait to pick up my copy today or tomorrow morning (basically whenever GAME feels like sending me an email saying I can go and pick it up)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So do we have another halo 2? Great mp and a campaign that leaces something to be desired?

I have read every single review and the folks amplifying that idea are not representative of all the reviews. I suggest you pick a few at random and not get involved in forum selection bias. This happens in every review thread. Not just Halo.

Someone finds an negative aspect or element that confirms what they suspected about the game and repeats it for pages and pages. There's probably a word for it, or a psychology paper waiting to be written.

So again, pick some reviews at random and see what consensus you find.

shoreu

I don't get how people are disappointed with the metascore, it will probably end up being the best reviewed shooter of the year. Actually, Black Ops 3 is looking pretty sweet so it might be close. I reckon Battlefront will get criticized heavily for lack of content.

Actually TTK is now at 85 on metacritic :L

I actually don't think it will, people seem to be harsher on halo(because it has a high standard) than most other things. A lot of them don't really have a grasp on the story either and still call it shallow.

Top Bottom