• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

ekim

How many Forzas do we need though? I could be wrong here but I'm not seeing a wealth of must have new IP like we have every new gen. Sequel after sequel. It's a highly regarded series but I think we should expect better than a spin off one year then a main series entry the next year, repeat over and over. Fatigue really starts to kick in.

I don't think that fatigue for racing games exist. You know what to expect when you buy a racing game. There isn't a way to reinvent the gameplay in this genre. You drive a car... against others... and try to win.

Reading reactions throughout the thread I thought maybe the campaign was seen as not so good..

...then I went through the ACTUAL reviews and..

Every single one of those are from a different review..lol. Seems the campaign is pretty good and a blast to play through. Had me worried as I'm more of a campaign person than multiplayer.

That's from 22 of the reviews...I can only read so much..haha

Looking forward to tomorrow.

When i see this i realize that we're probably focusing a bit too much on the negatives. Plenty of reviews praising the campaign actually. I remember there was plenty of negativity about Halo 4's campaign too, yet i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gascoigne

Banned
With Halo 5 and Titanfall plus the new elite controller, looks like the Xbox One is going to be in my future for competitive multiplayer. Other than PC, nothing can touch it.

Kill3r7

Eh, MGS V, The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Destiny: The Taken King, Pillars of Eternity, Super Mario Maker, Ori and the Blind Forest, Batman: Arkham Knight, Uncharted Collection, and more all ended up with a higher score than the 86 rating that Halo 5 sits at now. I don't think it's a stretch to say that these scores are at least somewhat disappointing.

TTK is down to 85 (71 reviews for the PS4 version) and it is the only FPS game on that list.

CyReN

For those that like to compare

Daqn88M.jpg

I dont care much for scores but everybody saying story doesn't matter in a halo game is..upsetting for lack of a better word. I've never ever heard that whether online or in person people loved the campaign.

I don't think that fatigue for racing games exist. You know what to expect when you buy a racing game. There isn't a way to reinvent the gameplay in this genre. You drive a car... against others... and try to win.

So why release a game every year if that's the case? I'll speak to you another time about dude as this thread is all over the place.

v0yce

There's a link floating around here somewhere you should look at...

With a list of positive things being said about the campaign? I've read it.

Does someone need to make a list of all the negative things people are saying about the campaign?

Skux

GamejunkieNZ review

Gameplay is the tried and true that Halo veterans will know but if you’re after something revolutionary, look somewhere else: You won’t find it here. I also felt that the closing missions suffered too much from repetition and rinse-and-repeat game play. The finale disappointed me a little, too. I was expecting something a little more epic.

With Halo 4, 343 laid the ground work for what it could do with the series. With Halo 5, it has shown it knows how to respect the franchise and has created a game that, for me, was one of the most enjoyable of the series, even if the campaign has a few missteps near the end and it left a lot of questions.

The bottom line is that Halo 5 Guardians is a great game that will fuel your inner Spartan but where the franchise is heading to from here I’ve no idea.

I guess we’ll find out in Halo 6.

What is it about Halo that brings some of the crappiest posts out of people? Man, if I were Stinkles, I'd bail out of GAF this week, it'd suck to see all your hard work and effort to be targeted from constant crappy posts full of people who had hardly any interest to begin with...just trying to latch on to something to justify their shitposting (i.e. by nitpicking reviews and ignoring all the positives).

jtar86

Why can't we just have one nice calm Halo thread. Reviews seem solid so far. I'm not really sure what all the concern is about. Since when is an 86 metacritic a bad thing?

Madness

How do you even quantify some scores? Digital Spy chose stars for a reason instead of a 100 point scale, and yet they're review translates to '60/100', which is what 3/5 stars is, but that's not what they intended. If you give something 'two thumbs up' it would translate to 100/100 on metacritic.

I've seen so many drive by posts and console war bait as well. As well as the usual, that's 'disappointing, I really wanted to get so and so on such and such console but now I won't'.

Read the reviews, the majority of them like the campaign, and say that it plays well and that the story is polarizing as opposed to being' bad'.

ekim

So why release a game every year if that's the case? I'll speak to you another time about dude as this thread is all over the place.

I mean more in terms of being innovative. A new Forza Horizon offers a new setting in the first place. With mainline Forza, new graphics and updated physics warrant a buy from a lot of people. For me it's like Sports games. The core mechanics don't change for years.

meanspartan

There is no way Bloodborne should be rated higher than Halo 5. That is all.

Wait what?

First of all, Bloodborne deserves its high scores because it was brilliant. Sorry if you disagree, but most seemed to love it.

Second, have you played Halo 5 even yet?

Third, that's a weird two games to compare.

VinFTW

With a list of positive things being said about the campaign? I've read it.

Does someone need to make a list of all the negative things people are saying about the campaign?

Looks like you already have your mind made up. Plenty of validtion here for you then!

A number that impacts sales when it's supposed to be your big exclusive of the year.

So if you're Microsoft then maybe you are disappointed, but even then you realize there's not a lot of Halo fans saying "GOSH ONLY AN 86 BETTER SKIP IT" It's still going to sell very well over the holidays

But if youre a consumer like us why do sales matter?

Top Bottom