• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Disappointing news about the campaign. That was my last hope for a reason to buy an Xbox this gen.

Hope you all enjoy Halo 5, apparently they did well with the multiplayer. Looks fun.

Chase17

Zelda fans are WEIRD though. Doesn't everyone agree that SkyWard Sword was God-awful? And somehow that got a ridiculously high metacritic score on release. Reviewers tend to skew positively to Zelda, despite the fact that the last two mainline entries have been thoroughly underwhelming.
Skyward Sword is great!

I've only read a few reviews and haven't kept in the loop since the beta...

Can anyone tell me where Breakout (might be my favorite mode) stands? Is it in? I've seen no mention. If so has anything changed from the beta? Number of maps etc.?

Any info on Breakout would be much appreciated! Really fell in love with the mode. Reminded me so much of fast-paced speedball matches!

EDIT: Crud, sorry... meant to post in the Multiplayer thread!

Look, the metacritic score isn't everything and there's certainly been several games rated below an 86 that I ended up absolutely loving.

But you can't deny that when the first original entry in three years arrives on what is one of the biggest and highest caliber franchises that gaming has to offer, the expectation is 90+ metacritic scores. 86 is a bit disappointing, no matter how you might want to defend it.

In that case since the new generation only one exclusive and 3 games overall have met expectations.

Zeta Oni

I really doubt any Xbox exclusive will surpass the 90 metacritic again.

Honeslty, almost everything 2016 has to offer has a shot. They have a chance at bringing another "Lost Odyssey" Jrpgforaconsolethathasnone in Scalebound, and platinum games working on a dream project gives me some hope.

Then Crackdown has a chance purely because if the game works as intended, it will be some revolutionary shit.

If they do a Forza Horizon 3 next year, that has a chance as well.

I kind of expected lower for Halo 5 tbh, at this point its just so many things to so many people, expecting to please all of them is impossible.

Can anyone tell me where Breakout (might be my favorite mode) stands? Is it in? I've seen no mention. If so has anything changed from the beta? Number of maps etc.?

Any info on Breakout would be much appreciated! Really fell in love with the mode. Reminded me so much of fast-paced speedball matches!

All I know is that it's in. Watched streamers play it yesterday

Gametrailers talked at length about it in their review-in-progress. They love it, it's their favorite mode.

Digital Spy

TpexV6Q.png

Haha...what

Starfield

I think I won't enjoy Halo 5 but I bought it anyways since I need something to fill the time between now and Fallout 4

its something i guess

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I really doubt any Xbox exclusive will surpass the 90 metacritic again.

lord, what do we have to live for if an exclusive game does not get an aggregated score of higher than 90%, there's probably no point in living anymore.

Metacritic self-corrects from time to time, just like the Dow Jones. All those 90+ games last gen? Shit was a veritable housing bubble. No way those games were all 90+.
Love this.

Witcher 3 would be like a 99 with previous gen scores. Skyrim (which I love) got a freakin 96, that's never happening again. Fallout 4 will probably be high 80's-mid 90's and will probably be a much better game than Skyrim.

It's all good guys, the game sounds great. I don't have a Xbone but I'm sufficiently jealous that I can't play this game. And that's the true indicator. :p

Why people is saying 87 on metacritics? It has a 86 already, lower than Halo 4.

Halo 4 came out in a point in time where major publications were, let's out it this way, a lot more forgiving of AAA games.

The scoring environment that existed then is long gone, for the better, and I don't think that's a controversial observation.

Azlan

For a title like Halo where so many people already hold strong, often opposing, opinions about the past of the franchise it would be extremely impressive if 343 managed to please everyone.

It is odd that people read so deeply into a metacritic average. I am certain any one of us could look up a list of games that got in the 90s and personally believe they should be 80s or lower (and visa versa). It seems much more constructive to me to debate individual reviewers claims. Besides, a score in the upper 80's is pretty damn great for any game, but especially for a contentious FPS.

From the ones currently announced, you could be right. Maybe Quantum Break but I doubt it. But I'm sure the next Forza Horizon will crack the 90.

How many Forzas do we need though? I could be wrong here but I'm not seeing a wealth of must have new IP like we have every new gen. Sequel after sequel. It's a highly regarded series but I think we should expect better than a spin off one year then a main series entry the next year, repeat over and over. Fatigue really starts to kick in.

Doran902

Halo 4 came out in a point in time where major publications were, let's out it this way, a lot more forgiving of console exclusive games.

The scoring environment that existed then is long gone, for the better, and I don't think that's a controversial observation.

It's very true, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of some games in the 7- 8.5 range this gen and if you compare that to 10 years ago the quality of a 7 is less than it is now.

drigosr

Look, the metacritic score isn't everything and there's certainly been several games rated below an 86 that I ended up absolutely loving.

But you can't deny that when the first original entry in three years arrives on what is one of the biggest and highest caliber franchises that gaming has to offer, the expectation is 90+ metacritic scores. 86 is a bit disappointing, no matter how you might want to defend it.

Total Drama! 86 is great!!

v0yce

Bah. I'm only really interested in campaign and 4 is the only one I didn't really like. Was hoping this would be a return to form but reviews have me doubting.

Guess I'll wait on more impressions.

jfoul

Thanks. More reviewers need to do this with such a multiplayer heavy game.

Pretty cool that the Gametrailers review is up, but they withheld the score. Although it really doesn't matter, but it'll be interesting to see if any sites review the game again after BTB, Forge, new playlists, and the free maps release.

VinFTW

Bah. I'm only really interested in campaign and 4 is the only one I didn't really like. Was hoping this would be a return to form but reviews have me doubting.

Guess I'll wait on more impressions.
There's a link floating around here somewhere you should look at...

Top Bottom