• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Publishers don't just spend all this money and then send the game out there in the wild with their fingers crossed, they hire freelancers to do "mock reviews" to give the publisher an idea of what the "real reviews" will look like.

Here's an excerpt from Schreier's piece on Destiny from just a few days ago:

http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

Bahaha that mock reviewer clearly didn't earn his pay check. Shouldn't these type of deals aim to be more critical, to A) sort out any major problems that are fixable before launch, B) give you a rough lower end of the games review scores which is far more useful than an inflated high end.

I don't mean to be a devils advocate but I have only heard of one of those review sites and the one I do recognize I haven't agreed with since their Dark Cloud review, so for me thats worrying.

Plus:

2015-10-2616_20_42-ry1ashb.png

This guy gave Halo 4 a 9.7 and called it the best in the series, so that kind of speaks for its self as far as opinions go. If you don't align with that I wouldn't be too worried. We'll see I guess.

I'm sorry but Ryan is probably one of the worst Halo 'fans' out there. He talks about how much he loves the games and franchise but rarely knows what he's talking about when discussing story nor seems to care about it very much. Now from IGN, Sean Finnegan and Destin actually seems to care about the story of Halo and actually know what they're talking about.

For what it's worth, Destin hated it too.

After his Halo 4 review I can't take anything he says seriously. In fact the only review that matched my feelings about Halo 4 was written by Tom Chick. Has he reviewed Halo 5 yet?

The guy who complained that Halo didn't have ADS? I hate that guy as we now have ADS in Halo. Yay for homogenization.

Kssio_Aug

I don't mean to be a devils advocate but I have only heard of one of those review sites and the one I do recognize I haven't agreed with since their Dark Cloud review, so for me thats worrying.

Plus:

2015-10-2616_20_42-ry1ashb.png

I just looked at the some of the reviews in the OP order. There are many other reviewers out there who enjoyed the campaign as much as these. EGM reviewer for example seems to have enjoyed it a lot!! I'm just answering to one of those hyperbolic post saying that 90% of the reviewers out there didn't like the campaign cause you don't play most of it with Master Chief. It seems to me that there are MANY reviewers out there who enjoyed it anyway.

I won't deny Chief is totally important to the franchise. But playing as Chief is not Halo. Halo is much more than just playing with the iconic chracater! It's is also very important to take note that, as some already stated, the story still puts Master Chief in the center.

People say that they can't play Halo without playing with Chief, I wonder if they have skipped Halo 2 Arbiter missions aswell as Halo ODST and Reach (that for lots of players these are even between the best of the entire franchise).

And I don't care for one guy opinion. He may have been called a MS or Halo fanboy before, but that is not even what makes someone feels credible to me.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I just looked at the some of the reviews in the OP order. There are many other reviewers out there who enjoyed the campaign as much as these. EGM reviewer for example seems to have enjoyed it a lot!! I'm just answering to one of those hyperbolic post saying that 90% of the reviewers out there didn't like the campaign cause you don't play most of it with Master Chief. It seems to me that there are MANY reviewers out there who enjoyed it anyway.

I won't deny Chief is totally important to the franchise. But playing as Chief is not Halo. Halo is much more than just playing with the iconic chracater! It's is also very important to take note that, as some already stated, the story still puts Master Chief in the center.

People say that they can't play Halo without playing with Chief, I wonder if they have skipped Halo 2 Arbiter missions aswell as Halo ODST and Reach (that for lots of players there are even between the best of the entire franchise).

And I don't care for one guy opinion. He may have been called a MS or Halo fanboy before, but that is not even what makes someone feels credible to me.

I don't think people are down on the campaign because you don't get to play as Master Chief.

VinFTW

I find it funny that certain people in this thread are suddenly going on a crusade to detest metacritic and its relevancy.

Suddenly?

Metacritic is a plague on the industry. Shit, even bonuses are based on Metacritic. It's trash.

Rottentomatoes is the gold standard.

Halo 5 would be high 90's ^

spootime

Interesting to hear that, but I really doubt they have enough people write reviews to give them a solid idea of how Metacritic will turn out, as evidenced by that article, and also Naughty Dog anticipating a "82-85 Metacritic on The Last Of Us" (via Conversations With Creators). Goes to show those internal projections mean absolutely nothing, and are commonly off the mark by a considerable margin.

If they meant absolutely nothing then I doubt publishers would pay for them. Just because some games werent predicted accurately doesnt mean that they all are.

People say that they can't play Halo without playing with Chief, I wonder if they have skipped Halo 2 Arbiter missions aswell as Halo ODST and Reach (that for lots of players these are even between the best of the entire franchise).

Having played 2 this weekend i can tell you that 2s campaign is easily the worst in the series. As soon as the arbiter level starts i had to force myself to play through it. The character and idea weren't bad, but the level the design is though. From start to finish.

hawk2025

Suddenly?

Metacritic is a plague on the industry. Shit, even bonuses are based on Metacritic. It's trash.

Why?

Why is one statistic that aggregates up to 100 better than another statistic that aggregates up to 100 -- to the point that it becomes a "plague"?

Kssio_Aug

I don't think people are down on the campaign because you don't get to play as Master Chief.

There are though...

lol i have no idea. These guys man....they just dont get it. Ive come to accept it now. If i wanted to play a fucking halo game without Chief, id play ODST. They take the idea from the worst halo game (Halo2) and make a new game out of it. Who makes these decisions at 343........

Are you sure that arent you who "don't get it"? It seems like it to me!

Not according to 90% of the reviews out there im not.

GulAtiCa

The only thing I'm concerned about is the campaign. I just hope they learned from Halo 4's campaign issues and it's insulting ending QTE.

Flarin

From the few reviews I've watched from IGN and Gametrailers [Spoilers?]
You only play as Chief for 3/15 missions.
YIKES.

Mikey Jr.

When their game of choice gets a low score metacritic is the escape goat. If their game is high, metacritic is praised. It's like in every review thread ever since the dawn of timeeeeeee!

Just read the reviews or rent/borrow the game...

Seriously.

Game scored low? Ohh well, metacritic is fucked because X, y, and z. Fuck that site.

Mattenth

I would prefer it if more sites just gave a "yea or nay" approach like Kotaku's reviews. Weirdly, interpretation of numerical scores seems more subjective.

That's the goal. Using Net Promoter Score also lets us bring publications like Kotaku and Eurogamer back into the fold. Even though neither of those publications are willing to assign numerical verdicts, they are willing to make recommendations.

But yeah, it's silly - 90%+ of critics would recommend this game to gamers. That's the metric we should use. Not "Oh what numbers did they all dish out?"

That Reclaimed Hub review convinced me to buy a copy of Halo 5: Guardians with how expertly-formatted it was. There are no words (except the ones in the review). I bet the guy responsible for designing those pages is some adonis with a massive dong, too - an adongis, even. I sure wish I could speak to the brilliant team behind humanity's crowning achievement that is Reclaimed Hub Dot Com Slash Writeup Slash Halo 5 Review.

Suddenly?

Uh, more like every major release would be in the high 90s...

How is that better? Do you know how lenient Rotten Tomatoes is?

For example: The Avengers (2012) has a 92% on RT.

On Metacritic, it averages to 69.

Suddenly?

Rottentomatoes is better but still flawed

If a movie got a 6.5 from every outlet it would be at 100%, which is misleading (even though they have an average score rating too, most people don't read that)

That's the goal. Using Net Promoter Score also lets us bring publications like Kotaku and Eurogamer back into the fold. Even though neither of those publications are willing to assign numerical verdicts, they are willing to make recommendations.

But yeah, it's silly - 90%+ of critics would recommend this game to gamers. That's the metric we should use. Not "Oh what numbers did they all dish out?"

Hopefully enough publications adopt the no score approach in turn forcing a +/- aggregator to become popular for video games.

If a movie got a 6.5 from every outlet it would be at 100%, which is misleading (even though they have an average score rating too, most people don't read that)

I don't see it working like that. A Rotten Tomatoes style aggregator would have to take some things into account. An Edge 6 can possibly count as a positive while an IGN 6 would not.

hawk2025

What happens when reviews say "I recommend it if you like _____, but not if you like ______"?

I find it funny that certain people in this thread are suddenly going on a crusade to detest metacritic and its relevancy.
This is the first review thread I've ever really been in and yeah its quite enthralling on multiple angles. People for and against scoring aggregation, numbers, words, opinions, stated "facts" = more opinions, etc. etc. Not sure what I expected but its entertaining nonetheless.

Suddenly?

If Rotten Tomatoes included games everything would be Certified Fresh because in game criticism scores below a 7 are reserved for absolute trash.

Mattenth

How is that better?

Oh man, I can't wait to show you OpenCritic's infographics. I'll be sure to PM you them directly.

~60% of games fall between 70 and 85 on Metacritic/OpenCritic.

Using Net Promoter / Rotten Tomatoes, you get a very nice bell curve - 1/3 are below 40%, 1/3 are between 40% and 60%, and 1/3 are above 60%.

(The % here is "What percentage of critics would recommend this game unconditionally to general gamers?")

If Rotten Tomatoes included games everything would be Certified Fresh because in game criticism scores below a 7 are reserved for absolute trash.

You fix that by just raising the cutoff to 8 or higher.

The biggest flaw of Rotten Tomatoes' system is that it magnifies very small score differences. The difference between a 7.9 and 8.0 isn't a "tiny margin on the overall score" because it changes you from a "neutral" to a "promoter. But the difference between 8.9 and 9.0 is completely meaningless.

VinFTW

Flawed? Sure. No opinion can really be "graded" or "scored" flawlessly.

It IS however a far better system than metacritic.

What happens when reviews say "I recommend it if you like _____, but not if you like ______"?

"I recommend it if you like Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg 2: All Outta Cocks: Unleashed, but not if you like what Donkey Kong can learn from Tomb Raider (2014) Booty of the Forsaken DLC"

oti

Banned
I'm sorry but Ryan is probably one of the worst Halo 'fans' out there. He talks about how much he loves the games and franchise but rarely knows what he's talking about when discussing story nor seems to care about it very much. Now from IGN, Sean Finnegan and Destin actually seems to care about the story of Halo and actually know what they're talking about.

He's a fan, yes, but he isn't a REAL Halo fan!!!!!!

VinFTW

So you alter the number that shows what's fresh and what's not, problem solved.

Listen, there's no perfect way to score opinions and subjective material. It's just a better way to do so.

valkyre

With every major AAA game released it becomes more and more apparent, just how damaging websites like Metacritic are to the industry...

Gascoigne

Banned

How is that better? Do you know how lenient Rotten Tomatoes is?

For example: The Avengers (2012) has a 92% on RT.

On Metacritic, it averages to 69.

Rottentomatoes actually makes you read the reviews to find out what a reviewer liked or disliked about something. Metacritic just encourages console warriors to read a score and then start shit-posting. That's one of many reasons why RT is a better mechanism than Metacritic. The fact that you're just seeing complaints about Metacritic now isn't proof that people haven't been complaining about them for years.

EGM1966

Spoiler that shit.

It's a tricky one though. That probably constitutes a point of information that some would use to decide whether to purchase or not. On the other hand it does - very obliquely really as no actual plot point is directly referenced - spoil an element of the construction of the SP.

Top Bottom