• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

quesalupa

An 86 is still a B+

I don't see the outrage?
Yeah everyone wants their favorite series to be high 90's
But that's the thing about people's favorite series it can rate 60 and you will still love it due to your investment.

I thought the order was a great game, it is the laughing stock of GAF and harsh reviews but I loved it

End of the day, the only review that matters is your own
Preach.

Willectro

Banned
Hopefully the multiplayer is better than the campaign. Besides a few fun sections (vehicles), the campaign is boring and repetitive.

The online better be fucking pristine.

Why does Metacritic score matter so much? What I'm getting from the reviews is that the game is good, no matter 86 or 88 or 92.

List wars, I guess?

The game has looked strides better mechanically than Halo 4 during the entire development cycle. From what I've seen, 343 has done a great job. I think Halo 5 will be looked back upon far more fondly than 4.

Trey

So basically, "good enough". I can live with that, especially considering 343 spent so much time trying to return to form.

AI is better than 4 IMO but not by much.

I've had some enemy AI stand right next to be without shooting while waiting for my squad to revive me. The squad itself would also stand right next to enemies without shooting. Pathfinding is a mixed bag when it comes to revives. Sometimes they're parkour legends, but other times they like to smell the roses and take forever to get to me (especially Fred and Buck)

That sounds really disappointing. Despite all the other things I didn't like about 4 the AI was the worse part.

86 is great folks, not sure what's bad about an average of 86

This x100009

Exactly, that's the problem with Metacritic. Every score is going to be diluted because you can't please everyone and because it's a big release, everyone and their mother will want to weigh in. My strategy with entertainment product reviews is to embrace confirmation bias. What I mean is find a couple reviewers whose tastes roughly align with your own and use them as a sample of what your general reaction is likely to be. We can read all the different opinions and glean what the games strengths and weaknesses probably are, but some of the reviewers seem like they are playing different games. For example some reviews praise the huge levels and open combat spaces and other reviews criticize the lack of them. Who am I to believe? I believe I'll find out for myself and not get my hype overly inflated or deflated just because of what one somebody out of dozens or hundreds on the internet says about the game.

Rixxan

Why does Metacritic score matter so much? What I'm getting from the reviews is that the game is good, no matter 86 or 88 or 92.

Imo for the individual, the chance of loving a game is more or less identical from 80-95 meta

Games that are 95+ probably have a higher percentage chance, but it doesn't necessarily make it a better game for the individual

its all relative man, personally speaking though anything over 80 keeps me excited

Floody

Shame they (by the sounds of it) didn't deliver on the whole Spartan vs Spartan angle, if they did I'd probably pick it up now instead of later. I am wondering are the enemies all massive bullet sponges, like 4?

Dunlop

Halo
Console exclusive

I have no doubt there is valid critism but the above reasons throw gasoline on it.

Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow

shireman

Banned
You play as the Chief for 3/15 missions?
3 out of 15!?!!!!
3/15?!!!!

This is sooooo dumb. Hated the idea in Halo 2 (though I love the game and the Arbiter) and the idea is just as dumb today.

What does this add to the campaign other than pissing off hardcore fans? Stupid.

SSSSTUUUUPIIIIDDDDDD

Juanfp

Well since we're already derailed...

OpenCritic is working on a new scoring system, similar to rotten tomatoes. It's simply stupid that aggregate game review scales are effectively from 75-95.

We plan to switch to a net promoter type system, similar to Rotten Tomatoes (though not a total copy). Calculation will still be transparent, unweighted, and publicly verifiable.

Halo 5 would score exceptionally high. 20 out of 23 scoring verdicts are considered "recommenders" or "promoters."

We have some sexy infographics that'll show a bit better why we are making the change. But thought I'd mention it now, too.

Really interesting to see how that will work. Never like how metacritic work.

zip stick

I don't know about you but my X1 prominently displays a warning message on every title below a 90 metacritic during gameplay to remind me that I'm playing something quite sub-par.

0a82b13.gif

I'm actually really loving the campaign so far (currently on level 12).

IHaveIce

Banned
How about you scrubs read reviews for impressions not for a number score and to get a new result on Metacritic.

Da fuq is wrong with you guys.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
These scores are lower than I hoped for, and expected, with all the hype -- but whatever, I'm still getting the game.

I always wonder what goes on after reviews go live on big games. As in, are the heads of 343 pissed/sad/disappointed because their game didn't break 90+, does Frank O'Connor get calls to console him for the game reviewing worse than Halo 4?

There's definitely reactions, I just wonder how seriously everyone takes it (as far as the studio/publishers go).

3 out of 15!?!!!!
3/15?!!!!

This is sooooo dumb. Hated the idea in Halo 2 (though I love the game and the Arbiter) and the idea is just as dumb today.

What does this add to the campaign other than pissing off hardcore fans? Stupid.

SSSSTUUUUPIIIIDDDDDD

>Hated the idea in Halo 2
>Actually loved Halo 2 with the idea
>Still thinks idea is stupid

whaaa_dean_supernatural.gif

3 out of 15!?!!!!
3/15?!!!!

SSSSTUUUUPIIIIDDDDDD

Is that really it? Only 3/15 missions as Chief?

3 out of 15!?!!!!
3/15?!!!!

SSSSTUUUUPIIIIDDDDDD

According to Gamersyde 3 out of the 15 missions aren't even missions. I don't know what they mean though.

What ive learned from my first review thread is..
reviews only matter when they align with an individuals opinion

Bloodborne shouldn't be higher than halo

Sonys exclusives are of better quality than microsofts

Uncharted is an untouchable franchise and will score high regardless

Story no longer matters in any well established franchise(new ips get burned for it tho)

And any criticism is "shit posting"...what a nicd thread lol

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
3 out of 15!?!!!!
3/15?!!!!

SSSSTUUUUPIIIIDDDDDD
Because it's Part 2 of a trilogy.

shinnn

An 86 is still a B+

I don't see the outrage?
Yeah everyone wants their favorite series to be high 90's
But that's the thing about people's favorite series it can rate 60 and you will still love it due to your investment.

I thought the order was a great game, it is the laughing stock of GAF and harsh reviews but I loved it

End of the day, the only review that matters is your own
lol. Where's the fans outrage? Its more like some people saying the game is not that good beacuse its 86 and the fans of franchise saying 86 is not that bad.

I'm in the minority here saying it deserves better, but far from being outraged. I just accepted how the media handles the reviews a long time ago.

RowdyReverb

Well since we're already derailed...

OpenCritic is working on a new scoring system, similar to rotten tomatoes. It's simply stupid that aggregate game review scales are effectively from 75-95.

We plan to switch to a net promoter type system, similar to Rotten Tomatoes (though not a total copy). Calculation will still be transparent, unweighted, and publicly verifiable.

Halo 5 would score exceptionally high. 20 out of 23 scoring verdicts are considered "recommenders" or "promoters."

We have some sexy infographics that'll show a bit better why we are making the change. But thought I'd mention it now, too.
Plus, Metacritic's own breakdown seems to make matters less clear:
36 Positive
2 Mixed
0 Negative

I would prefer it if more sites just gave a "yea or nay" approach like Kotaku's reviews. Weirdly, interpretation of numerical scores seems more subjective.

crazyprac

How about you scrubs read reviews for impressions not for a number score and to get a new result on Metacritic.

Da fuq is wrong with you guys.

When their game of choice gets a low score metacritic is the escape goat. If their game is high, metacritic is praised. It's like in every review thread ever since the dawn of timeeeeeee!

Just read the reviews or rent/borrow the game...

antitrop

These scores are lower than I hoped for, and expected, with all the hype -- but whatever, I'm still getting the game.

I always wonder what goes on after reviews go live on big games. As in, are the heads of 343 pissed/sad/disappointed because their game didn't break 90+, does Frank O'Connor get calls to console him for the game reviewing worse than Halo 4?

There's definitely reactions, I just wonder how seriously everyone takes it (as far as the studio/publishers go).

I would assume they wouldn't react too much unless the real reviews are widely off the mark from the internal mock reviews.

ironcreed

Banned
For a third party games, but for an exclusive it becomes fuel for the great war machine that keeps marching on (please note my sarcasm)

Yes, that great war machine that is destroying the gaming community by reinforcing all of the negative 'gamer' stereotypes that makes the rest of us want to crawl up underneath our desk and curl up into the fetal position out of sheer embarrassment. "Ha, Ha, it's below a 90. We win!"

embarrassed.gif

I am getting too old for this shit.

IMACOMPUTA

3 out of 15!?!!!!
3/15?!!!!

This is sooooo dumb. Hated the idea in Halo 2 (though I love the game and
the Arbiter
) and the idea is just as dumb today.

SSSSTUUUUPIIIIDDDDDD

Uh, thanks for the spoiler shireman, and everyone else that quoted it.

ryan299

I can't wait to play this campaign now. I thought there was no way there could be a campaign as bad as 4's and it seems like 343 has delivered again.

343 didnt seem to get their message out very well about there not being a Reclaimer Trilogy anymore. They changed it to the Reclaimer Saga. See some reviews still calling this the second part of a trilogy and lots of posters here as well.

Top Bottom