• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
8.6 is damn good!! Seems the biggest complaint is the story which is fine by me, I liked Halo 4's story so if this is at least on par with that I'll be happy.

Kssio_Aug

Not according to 90% of the reviews out there im not.

90%? I don't think so... just some of them:

GamingTrend::
campaign is top-notch

Gaming Age:
I’m going to avoid story spoilers in this review, but I really enjoyed the overall campaign plot, more so than I did in Halo 4. The ending, in particular, could lead to some really interesting places for Halo as a whole, and I’m certainly looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

BestGamerEver:
he campaign is a confident, well told, galaxy spanning adventure with a huge amount of replayability on a scale we’ve never seen.

Game Over Online:
the core campaign, and in multiplayer, it all works to create a better experience for the player. The stories of the Halo franchise began somewhat simple, with many things explained and a lot of things left in the dark. The expanded universe explored in books helped fill in gaps, while the later entries were more story-driven. Halo 4 took this to new extremes with CGI, and Halo 5 keeps that trend alive.

Yes, that great war machine that is destroying the gaming community by reinforcing all of the negative 'gamer' stereotypes that makes the rest of us want to crawl up underneath our desk and curl up into the fetal position out of sheer embarrassment. "Ha, Ha, it's below a 90. We win!"

embarrassed.gif

I am getting too old for this shit.

Some people might be trolling the ones that said that the game was going to outdo every game on every other system. Not saying its justified, but this is the thought process.

kpaadet

Why are people complaining about Metacritic in a review thread? It reminds me of people complaining when someone try to discuss technical aspects of a game in a Digital Foundry thread. I get people don't like MC (usually when it doesn't align with their opinion) but if there is a place for it, it's in a review thread.

I still think MP scores will make the MC rise higher for H5, as I've heard people saying it's the best since Halo 2, but that doesn't always translate into good review scores so I'm not sure.

BokehKing

Banned
lol. Where's the fans outrage? Its more like some people saying the game is not that good beacuse its 86 and the fans of franchise saying 86 is not that bad.

I'm in the minority here saying it deserves better, but far from being outraged. I just accepted how the media handles the reviews a long time ago.
???
You missed my point

watership

How about you scrubs read reviews for impressions not for a number score and to get a new result on Metacritic.

Da fuq is wrong with you guys.

Aggregate scores are the overall impression of a lot of people who have different ideas on how good something is, on a scale of 1-10. What matters if what the individual thinks. Everyone should read the reviews, rather than the scores.

Gascoigne

Banned
Yes, that great war machine that is destroying the gaming community by reinforcing all of the negative 'gamer' stereotypes that makes the rest of us want to crawl up underneath our desk and curl up into the fetal position out of sheer embarrassment. "Ha, Ha, it's below a 90. We win!"

embarrassed.gif

I am getting too old for this shit.

If it makes you feel better (or worse), the people engaging in that behavior are too old for that shit as well.

SaganIsGOAT

Hmm, very interesting. Fascinating indeed. Y'all who drive by post like this... SHAME

Damn that Metacritic. I thought Halo 4 was an anomaly but the mighty sure has fallen.

Best wishes.

But his opinion in the Assassins Creed review thread...
Not just Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft in general.

Seeing 9s from Gamespot and 8s from IGN makes me laugh immensely though. So much for a shit game that I've been reading about from gaf for months now. Metacritic at 78 as well. Seems like a decent discount purchase.

The Ubisoft hate is incredibly toxic here lately and seems like even decent games get turned into garbage in some narratives.

Best wishes.

pringles

I definitely expected the scores to look pretty much like this. The story/Campaign which has looked bad/mediocre/boring to me from everything I've seen indeed does seem to be less than amazing.

It sounds like the multiplayer is a return to form however. Which is very good, but as always it's going to take a few weeks/months to really say whether it's great or not. Halo 4 MP was very fun for a few weeks. Will 5's stand the test of time?

Will probably hold off and see how people rate the MP in a month or two before I decide on getting the game or not.

90%? I don't think so... just some of them:

GamingTrend::
campaign is top-notch

Gaming Age:
I’m going to avoid story spoilers in this review, but I really enjoyed the overall campaign plot, more so than I did in Halo 4. The ending, in particular, could lead to some really interesting places for Halo as a whole, and I’m certainly looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

BestGamerEver:
he campaign is a confident, well told, galaxy spanning adventure with a huge amount of replayability on a scale we’ve never seen.

Game Over Online:
the core campaign, and in multiplayer, it all works to create a better experience for the player. The stories of the Halo franchise began somewhat simple, with many things explained and a lot of things left in the dark. The expanded universe explored in books helped fill in gaps, while the later entries were more story-driven. Halo 4 took this to new extremes with CGI, and Halo 5 keeps that trend alive.

I don't mean to be a devils advocate but I have only heard of one of those review sites and the one I do recognize I haven't agreed with since their Dark Cloud review, so for me thats worrying.

Plus:

2015-10-2616_20_42-ry1ashb.png

Aggregate scores are the overall impression of a lot of people who have different ideas on how good something is, on a scale of 1-10. What matters if what the individual thinks. Everyone should read the reviews, rather than the scores.

I was thinking about that this morning in the subway. When i was younger, all i cared about was the score and didnt care about the review, now that im older i care more about the review than i do the score. The score honestly, i couldnt give 2 shits about. I just wanna enjoy it like i still do halo CE.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I would assume they wouldn't react too much unless the real reviews are widely off the mark from the internal mock reviews.
There's got to be disappointment on some level, after the huge budget, the marketing push and the fan expectations. Not saying they're crying, but there's a reaction.

Also, mock reviews? Mind elaborating?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Reviews in progress are the dumbest shit ever. If you wanna wait to check out the multiplayer after it launches, then wait to post your review. It's in service of nothing other than maximizing clicks.

There's got to be disappointment on some level, after the huge budget, the marketing push and the fan expectations. Not saying they're crying, but there's a reaction.

There's people who write reviews of games specifically for devs and publishers that never see the light of day.

SilentRob

Why are people complaining about Metacritic in a review thread? It reminds me of people complaining when someone try to discuss technical aspects of a game in a Digital Foundry thread. I get people don't like MC (usually when it doesn't align with their opinion) but if there is a place for it, it's in a review thread.

Metacritic takes reviews, changes the scores to fit their arbitrary system (a 3/5 is not the same as a 6/10) funnels them through their own unexplained algorithms and then spits out a number. That number is then taken as an objective way of judging the media's reactions to a game, even though it has little to do with what those reviews were actually saying.

Metacritic is terrible exactly because it's judged as some objective, comparable number. It is not.

Reviews in progress are the dumbest shit ever. If you wanna wait to check out the multiplayer after it launches, then wait.

I mean...they do? Why wouldn't you write about the campaign to let your audience know what you think about it only because you haven't played enough MP yet?

DNAbro

Review threads for big games are always entertaining lol

How is the local multiplayer in this game? I've haven't heard much other than there is less of it. Don't own an xbox but I loved playing Halo with friends locally.

TheXbox

How is the local multiplayer in this game? I've haven't heard much other than there is less of it. Don't own an xbox but I loved playing Halo with friends locally.
No split screen, LAN is still supported I believe.

VinFTW

I don't mean to be a devils advocate but I have only heard of one of those review sites and the one I do recognize I haven't agreed with since their Dark Cloud review, so for me thats worrying.

Plus:

9.8. Halo 4. Endless balanced MP. Out Bungie'd Bungie.

lol.

Finaj

It's also important to note this game will only get better with time. Forge, new weapons and maps will be added for free.

Scores are looking pretty good though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Local? As in, what? Split-screen (which is not included in Halo 5)?

There is zero split-screen in the game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Reviews in progress are the dumbest shit ever. If you wanna wait to check out the multiplayer after it launches, then wait to post your review. It's in service of nothing other than maximizing clicks.

Ehh what? I think it's expected for a game like this.

The embargo is up and they can freely give all kinds of details about the campaign, but the MP is an integral part to a Halo game and they withhold final judgement until they've actually played it on real servers.
They release the 'in-progress' review as to offer their initial thoughts when the embargo is up.

How is that bad in any way, shape or form? It should be commended after the MCC fiasco.

antitrop

Publishers don't just spend all this money and then send the game out there in the wild with their fingers crossed, they hire freelancers to do "mock reviews" to give the publisher an idea of what the "real reviews" will look like.

Here's an excerpt from Schreier's piece on Destiny from just a few days ago:

Destiny came out on September 9, 2014. Most of the development team was proud of the game, a source told me, and many were shocked to see harsh reviews; although most at Bungie had anticipated that players wouldn’t love the story, the team thought Destiny made up for that deficiency in many other ways. One source says they had internal surveys pegging the Metacritic score at around a 90 average; it turned out to be a 76. (Bungie then missed out on a major bonus, that source confirmed.)
http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

Gascoigne

Banned

Plus:

After his Halo 4 review I can't take anything he says seriously. In fact the only review that matched my feelings about Halo 4 was written by Tom Chick. Has he reviewed Halo 5 yet?

ironcreed

Banned

Plus:

I'll just see for myself. Some think it is great, others not so much. Yep, that's opinions alright. All I care about is mine.

TheXbox

Plus:

I'm a little bit shocked to see him take this campaign to task after lauding H4's campaign and giving the MCC something like a 9. Not unwelcome, I guess. 343's story team has done a really poor job, barring a few exceptions like HTT.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I don't get the 343i hate considering half the team if not more consisted of Bungie devs who worked on halo.

Also, Halo 4 was a good game. Maybe not the best Halo game but it added some needed changes to the franchise, some of which were improvements and I'm loving the 60fps target.

You need to get your facts straight. Less than ten developers switched from Bungie to 343i. Bungie stayed pretty much as it was, 343i came from all over the place, just not Bungie.

Deception

Plus:

I'm sorry but Ryan is probably one of the worst Halo 'fans' out there. He talks about how much he loves the games and franchise but rarely knows what he's talking about when discussing story nor seems to care about it very much. Now from IGN, Sean Finnegan and Destin actually seems to care about the story of Halo and actually know what they're talking about.

Plus:

Can only speak for myself, but if this turns out to be true (which seems more and more likely as tomorrow approaches based on early feedback) then 343 got the most important thing right. 95% of my time with the title will be spent getting my ass handed to me in MP. Just like every other Halo title.

You need to get your facts straight. Less than ten developers switched from Bungie to 343i. Bungie stayed pretty much as it was, 343i came from all over the place, just not Bungie.

Seeing how Destiny turned out, im not convinced this was a bad thing. They say the MP in this is some of the best in the series. Plus, yeah, maybe the story might be a bit weak, but at least it has one. A bit weak isnt the end of the world.

Can only speak for myself, but if this turns out to be true (which seems more and more likely as tomorrow approaches based on early feedback) then 343 got the most important thing right. 95% of my time with the title will be spent getting my ass handed to me in MP. Just like every other Halo title.

Still, i lot of us play halo for its lore and stories. When i see Chief take a side seat so to speak in a main halo game (granted haven't played it yet) it worries me. I mean, if Halo is so important to MS then they should hire successful writers for the main games. SP story is important too.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Ehh what? I think it's expected for a game like this.

The embargo is up and they can freely give all kinds of details about the campaign, but the MP is an integral part to a Halo game and they withhold final judgement until they've actually played it on real servers.
They release the 'in-progress' review as to offer their initial thoughts when the embargo is up.

How is that bad in any way, shape or form? It should be commended after the MCC fiasco.

The only website that I've seen do it is IGN and they did it for games like Dying Light. I don't see it as some virtuous gesture to consumers to spare them from broken servers or whatever. They know people will be checking the same article all week waiting for the score to drop since all most people care about is the score anyway.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Publishers don't just spend all this money and then send the game out there in the wild with their fingers crossed, they hire freelancers to do "mock reviews" to give the publisher an idea of what the "real reviews" will look like.

Here's an excerpt from Schreier's piece on Destiny from just a few days ago:

http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

Interesting to hear that, but I really doubt they have enough people write reviews to give them a solid idea of how Metacritic will turn out, as evidenced by that article, and also Naughty Dog anticipating a "82-85 Metacritic on The Last Of Us" (via Conversations With Creators). Goes to show those internal projections mean absolutely nothing, and are commonly off the mark by a considerable margin.

Disappointed to hear that the story is again short and underwhelming just like last time. They've gotta hire someone with loftier and more creative ideas. Staten was good at it. I can handle short as long as it packs a big punch.

But good to hear the general gameplay and multiplayer have taken a leap in a good direction.

Top Bottom