• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

LQX

Disappointed the story seems to be not that great and surprised to hear the campaign is short. Oh well.

shoreu

The comments about frequently running out of ammo for the UNSC weapons are a huge bummer for me. I have always greatly preferred the human weapons over the alien ones.

The mixed reaction to the campaign in general is really deflating my excitement. It's the main reason I'm buying the game. Oh, well - guess I'll draw my own conclusions tomorrow.

Running out of ammo happened also in halo4 for me. It happened then cause the enemies were sponges. I hope thats not the case here.

Isn't the ammo think kinda always an issue in halo. That's the point don't they want us to swap weapons constantly.

nib95

Banned
I think they assume most people are bad at Halo.

But even then...

But surely those same metrics applied to their Halo 4 play length testing as well? I'm still struggling to figure out how they ever came to the conclusion Halo 5's campaign was twice the length of Halo 4's. Were they flat out deceiving people, or was some of the game cut really late in to development?

That's actually the main point I'm somwhat worried too. 5~6 hours wasn't what I was exactly expecting (but the double of that time). Specially since I plan to play that on coop.

There's a website, that iirc the creator is from GAF here, that makes a measure of the avarage playtime for each game and some more statistics about it (like how long to 100%, or in different dfficulties and so on). Do anyone know wich website I'm talking about?

I wanted to see the avarage time of previous Halo games and Gears of War, just to compare it with my personal time.

http://howlongtobeat.com

That's actually the main point I'm somwhat worried too. 5~6 hours wasn't what I was exactly expecting (but the double of that time). Specially since I plan to play that on coop.

There's a website, that iirc the creator is from GAF here, that makes a measure of the avarage playtime for each game and some more statistics about it (like how long to 100%, or in different dfficulties and so on). Do anyone know wich website I'm talking about?

I wanted to see the avarage time of previous Halo games and Gears of War, just to compare it with my personal time.

This one?

Isn't the ammo think kinda always an issue in halo. That's the point don't they want us to swap weapons constantly.

Yeah maybe but in haloCE i never felt stuck even when my ammo ran out. There was always some good weapon on the ground, like a needler etc

In 4 i was often stuck out of ammo and the Promethean guns that dropped did no damage so i was stuck starting levels over.

Anon67

Sad to hear that the campaign is subpar. :( At least the multiplayer is good. That's where I'll spend most of my time, so oh well.

Also lol. People don't know what Divinity is?

Jarmel

Banned
Wow I thought the number of Master Chief missions would be roughly equal to the Locke missions. Never suspected that it would be so lopsided in favor of Locke.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Well I caved and bought it. Now I just need to finish Halo 3 and 4 in the MCC before starting the 5 campaign but totally gonna jump straight into the MP.

bounchfx

Damn I envy all the people that haven't played divinity yet. Would love to experience last years GOTY for the first time again. Oh shit I can with enhanced edition

undertale is the GOTY this year though

Here's hoping my copy arrived today, the reviews look great and I'm excited to try the multiplayer, halo 4s was not particularly great

Karak

Yeah, I don't really mind the weapons part. While I also prefer the UMSC's weapons, using what's on hand is something you're kinda forced to do in every game.

That said, I think Halo 3 was pretty generous in how they had human weapon caches, and periodic drops from orbit even. And it would make all the more sense for Osiris to have more prominent backup from the Infinity in this regard.

Good points there

BokehKing

Banned
Yeah maybe but in haloCE i never felt stuck even when my ammo ran out. There was always some good weapon on the ground, like a needler etc

In 4 i was often stuck out of ammo and the Promethean guns that dropped did no damage so i was stuck starting levels over.
My problem is always I can't see the weapons on the ground
I have to dance around bullets just for the screen to pop up and truthfully I'm not a fan of the tiny teal text on screen

Moofers

Kind of crazy that anyone would review this before it actually hits shelves and has a fully functioning online offering. I mean after MCC, any outlet that just gives this the benefit of the doubt isn't doing their reputation for high standards any favors, especially those "10/10!" reviews.

I guess some things never change.

Kssio_Aug

But surely those same metrics applied to their Halo 4 play length testing as well? I'm still struggling to figure out how they ever came to the conclusion Halo 5's campaign was twice the length of Halo 4's. Were they flat out deceiving people, or was some of the game cut really late in to development?

http://howlongtobeat.com

Yeah, i think it is exactly this one!! Thanks!! =)

As a comparison Halo 4 rushed take at about 5h and 49m rushed. If Halo 5 is to be this short, I hope it was very rushed aswell...

I'd like to read someone opinion about the lenght, that could compare his time in Halo 4 vs. Halo 5 playing in the similar pace.

It took you 5 and a half hours to complete the game? What. That's really short. As in, 1886 territories of short. I still don't understand how it went from twice the length or Halo 4 to being as long, if not shorter. As someone who is mostly in it for the campaign, the length coupled with the mission structure (MC/Locke breakdown) along with any potential narrative woes, do definitely put a damper on things for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited to play through it, but I don't get why 343i advertised it as being so much longer, or why they've made some of the decisions they have.

Oh well.

1886 didn't have a multiplayer mode that is as big, if not bigger, part of the game than the single player though. That's a really bad comparison.

The multiplayer is the thing that gives the game legs. I do agree, 5 hours and a half hours isn't particularly impressive, but there is a lot more content than just the campaign.

zsynqx

and she's down to 85 boys (39 reviews). ABANDON SHIP!

Scores still great.

85 looks nicer than 86 anyway. More round number. :)

1886 didn't have a multiplayer mode that is as big, if not bigger, part of the game than the single player though. That's a really bad comparison.

It was also basically 50 percent cutscenes and forced walking sections. I wish that was an exaggeration :/

85 is a great score. Although, all 4 of the big reviews in progress (IGN, Gamespot, Gameinformer, Gametrailers) all come from big publications and all of their current text seems very positive, so as long as servers hold up I could see all of them giving it a 9 or higher, which would bump up the metascore for you weirdos.

FaintDeftone

I have the game preordered, but man... the reviews are kinda bashing that campaign (possibly the most important aspect to me). I didn't care for Halo 4's campaign at all. I sold the Master Chief Collection at launch due to all of the issues. Hope I don't regret yet another Halo purchase.

lantus

The comments about frequently running out of ammo for the UNSC weapons are a huge bummer for me. I have always greatly preferred the human weapons over the alien ones.

The mixed reaction to the campaign in general is really deflating my excitement. It's the main reason I'm buying the game. Oh, well - guess I'll draw my own conclusions tomorrow.

That's been present in a lot of Halo games. 3, ODST and Reach had it somewhat frequently. Can't remember about 4, but yeah, its not new to the series.

Does anyone else think that games getting above 90 just aren't gonna happen this gen? I know Destiny TTK did, but it only had like 8 reviews.

I think reviewers are demanding innovation that just isn't there for these games. I don't think multiplayer deathmatch shooting has too many more places it can go without being bogged down by too much pointless shit.

We've seen what, Bloodborne and MGSV (a game with a dubious reviewer event) score that high*? And Bloodborne, for all that it is, is hardly innovative- it's really just a faster Souls game with an awesome aesthetic. Last gen, we were seeing games like Gears of War 1 and Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 1 and Bioshock and Rock Band and Mass Effect all roping in the critical darling scores.

I think part of it is due to the sheer number of outlets, and the fringe ones demanding more from the AAA games. Some of these scores look ridiculous next to all of the 10/10's, etc. Nothing wrong with wanting more, but I would bet that's bringing down the average quite a bit across all games this gen.

*not counting re-releases

eastx

Kind of crazy that anyone would review this before it actually hits shelves and has a fully functioning online offering. I mean after MCC, any outlet that just gives this the benefit of the doubt isn't doing their reputation for high standards any favors, especially those "10/10!" reviews.

I guess some things never change.

Master Chief Collections' multiplayer didn't even work right during the pre-launch review phase. They scheduled us to play with 343 staff and most of us could barely get into the game - the staff couldn't do anything about it. We all knew that one was going to be trouble. Halo 5's multiplayer servers work correctly.

And gamers want reviews at launch, so reviews are always going to be available at launch. Some sites do choose the "review in progress" approach though.

Wow I thought the number of Master Chief missions would be roughly equal to the Locke missions. Never suspected that it would be so lopsided in favor of Locke.

This is what bums me out the most. Which shouldn't be a big deal, but I like being the Chief and from what I've read Locke isn't as likeable.

impact

Banned
Calling a 95+ Metacritic average. Definitely gonna be the highest reviewed Xbox One/PS4 game to date. (Excluding GTA V, not sure if that counts. Since it's a late port of an incredible Xbox 360/PS3 game)

343 did the fanbase good. Incredible scores so far.

EDIT: I believed too hard. :(
I love this

Yeah, i think it is exactly this one!! Thanks!! =)

As a comparison Halo 4 rushed take at about 5h and 49m rushed. If Halo 5 is to be this short, I hope it was very rushed aswell...

I'd like to read someone opinion about the lenght, that could compare his time in Halo 4 vs. Halo 5 playing in the similar pace.

The revive mechanic probably means a lot fewer deaths and replaying sections this time around. I'll see how I feel about it in practice but my gut feeling is I wish they put in a toggle to disable it.

That's been present in a lot of Halo games. 3, ODST and Reach had it somewhat frequently. Can't remember about 4, but yeah, its not new to the series.

Just look at the LTTP for Halo CE that was posted yesterday where the OP was complaining about running out of ammo. It's been there since Day 1.

farisr

Seeing as 343 killed Halo multiplayer for me already by taking out splitscreen, hearing the campaign is subpar is extremely disappointing. Looks like it's in my best interest to play through it at as soon as it arrives and sell the game off quickly.

I clearly don't belong to the particular group of Halo fans that they made this game for.

Yeah, ammo scarcity for human weapons is part of Halo. It can be annoying if you completely run out of ammo, but it also makes you try out different weapons. If it wasn't for ammo scarcity, I'd probably have played through most of the games with the battle rifle.

Oh man, it's down to 85:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/halo-5-guardians

This thread's going to implode.

Crazy really, because 85 is still a bloody good score. Only fanboys, publishers, and devs with bonuses riding on it care about metacritic anyway.

Mattenth

Those 6 hour playthroughs must have been rushed then, or this infographic is flat out....lying then? Oh and this was on normal as it says........

https://content.halocdn.com/media/D...ographic-92640374178f47f5a83d11c4309540c0.jpg

I think that, on average, "people who post on neogaf" are going to be much, much faster with games than the general gaming population. If you're someone who tracks how long it takes you to beat a game, and have made an account on neogaf, and post about it, you're already in the upper echelon.

(Again, on average, not always!)

SaganIsGOAT

Seeing as 343 killed Halo multiplayer for me already by taking out splitscreen, hearing the campaign is subpar is extremely disappointing. Looks like it's in my best interest to play through it at as soon as it arrives and sell the game off quickly.

I clearly don't belong to the particular group of Halo fans that they made this game for.

So you're just going to blatantly disregard the reviewers that enjoyed the campaign and declare only negative reviews the truth? Okay then.

Top Bottom