• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

FyreWulff

Ghaleon sights his pistol. Aims. Shoots the grunt in the head and reloads. On to the next enemy.

Ghaleon's wife watches from the couch next to him, tugging on her braids.

doublebookreference

Hypertrooper said:
looks like I'm the only one who isnt jealous about the early copy. sigh. I'm jelly about another thing.

Let it go.

JK, I'm still pretty jelly as well.

About both.

But mostly the sweatshirt.

But mostly both.

Im all curious about that easter egg now, I really cant believe this game is coming out so soon.

Hypertrooper said:
looks like I'm the only one who isnt jealous about the early copy. sigh. I'm jelly about another thing.
I cant be jealous about an early copy, the fact that I will even be playing this game anytime soon is fantastic..
Somebody get this man a 343 sweatshirt at the very least.

HaloGaf is too kind, enough can't be said.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
He means ODST, right?

5gfdgdgg.jpg

wwm0nkey

i4jn5s.jpg

Yay a new golden Warthog advertisement.

I hear if you get 16 people and shoot it 100 times the gate in the back will open and the golden warthog will be inside
:troll:

Oh how I miss how gullible the Xbox Live community was at the time lol

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
i4jn5s.jpg

Yay a new golden Warthog advertisement.

I hear if you get 16 people and shoot it 100 times the gate in the back will open and the golden warthog will be inside
:troll:

Oh how I miss how gullible the Xbox Live community was at the time lol

Original one for comparison:

4bFZV.jpg

Zeal

Banned
lol this thread brings back so many memories of arguing with Frank everyday on TeamXbox forums. "Halo 2 better have Halo 1's floaty fucking physics, or we will find you!"

in which he replied, "It makes me twitch when you and your friend call me a motherfucker!"

lol, the days of legendary trolls back and forth. Good times.

Halo CEA is the only game this year pulling me away from Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Flipyap

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, one more thing. I don't think this is a spoiler since I tried to uncover it at HaloFest and didn't have time.

There's a mancannon on Installation 04, which fires from the open area to the top of the main platform. My question was, would AI use it, or just us?

AI use it. Just got punked by a stream of four Grunts sailing through the air and into my face. Map of the forever.

Can't wait to play Limited on it in the Anniversary playlist.
Oh, I do see what you did there. Sadface.

S1kkZ

okay, first impresions after playing the first level and the opening of halo.

-sadly, the framerate is a bit of a problem. there is a constant annoying stutter, many people probably wont notice it. the game is not running at constant 30 fps, more like 25-28 fps. in some areas, the framerate drops even lower for a few moments. this also slightly (!) affects the gameplay, game (controls, aiming, pistol) does not feel 100% like the old halo i remember. framerate in the cutscenes is a real problem. really bad framedrops in the opening cutscene.
-aside from the ugly faces in the cutscenes, the game looks stunning.
-new soundtrack is fucking awesome, weapon sounds are also improved
-i love halo cryptum, so the first terminal was pretty awesome ;)

my first impressions are positive, its just a shame about the framerate. i really hope there is a way to fix it. too bad they got everything right about this edition and fuck up the most important thing.

FyreWulff

Did they backport the actually having to hold X to do actions like getting in things or picking up weapons, or is it like the OXbox version where it performs the action immediately?

feel

S1kkZ said:
sadly, the framerate is a bit of a problem. there is a constant annoying stutter, many people probably wont notice it. the game is not running at constant 30 fps, more like 25-28 fps. this also slightly (!) affects the gameplay, game (controls, aiming, pistol) does not feel 100% like the old halo i remember.
Well, dammit...

S1kkZ

Letters said:
Well, dammit...
everyone will feel different about this, framerate and the "feel" is a very subjective thing. i am very sensitive when it comes to framedrops and stutters (i even notice them in forza 4).

Zeal

Banned
S1kkZ said:
okay, first impresions after playing the first level and the opening of halo.

-sadly, the framerate is a bit of a problem. there is a constant annoying stutter, many people probably wont notice it. the game is not running at constant 30 fps, more like 25-28 fps. in some areas, the framerate drops even lower for a few moments. this also slightly (!) affects the gameplay, game (controls, aiming, pistol) does not feel 100% like the old halo i remember. framerate in the cutscenes is a real problem. really bad framedrops in the opening cutscene.
-aside from the ugly faces in the cutscenes, the game looks stunning.
-new soundtrack is fucking awesome, weapon sounds are also improved
-i love halo cryptum, so the first terminal was pretty awesome ;)

my first impressions are positive, its just a shame about the framerate. i really hope there is a way to fix it. too bad they got everything right about this edition and fuck up the most important thing.
i appreciate impartial reviews like this. Thanks, man.

framerate actually looked pretty solid at PAX, but will have to wait to get my hands on it before i make a call. a bad framerate would be a major fuckup for a game like Halo.

S1kkZ

Zeal said:
i appreciate impartial reviews like this. Thanks, man.

framerate actually looked pretty solid at PAX, but will have to wait to get my hands on it before i make a call. a bad framerate would be a major fuckup for a game like Halo.
the framerate is not "bad", its just under 30 fps (that causes the stutter) which is not acceptable to me. like i said: a lot of people dont notice these judders, sadly i am not one of them.

S1kkZ said:
the framerate is not "bad", its just under 30 fps (that causes the stutter) which is not acceptable to me. like i said: a lot of people dont notice these judders, sadly i am not one of them.

Assuming this is true, why do companies not test this stuff properly? If the framerate in the opening cutscene was as bad as that one video a few weeks ago, how could anyone on the dev team not notice that? I'm fairly sensitive to framerate drops, but you'd have to be practically blind to miss them.

Edit: That said, as I'm a PAL user and so my copy of H1 runs at 25FPS, it might not be so bad for me.

Edit 2: Found the video

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
S1kkZ said:
Sub 30 is bad. Just because Dark Souls is out, doesn't make it any different.

S1kkZ

some other stuff:

-keyes still has his pipe, it just absent in the opening cutscene.
-the trails on the light bridge (second level) are still there.
-the "godrays" on the trees are gone (only in the new graphics mode)
-framerate is a tiny bit better when you are indoors
-i have no idea how to activate the kinect features. kinect is hooked up but there is no option to activate it ingame.
-sometimes the textures take a bit to load in. happens when you turn around too fast. game is installed on my 250gb slim.
-new soundtrack is really amazing, cant wait to buy it.
-very annoying shadow pop-in/flickering at the end of "halo" (the open area where you can choose which pack of marines to save first). the mountains in the background have a shadow over them which draws in or out when you come closer or goes away completly.

EagleEyes

S1kkZ said:
some other stuff:

-i have no idea how to activate the kinect features. kinect is hooked up but there is no option to activate it ingame.
-sometimes the textures take a bit to load in. happens when you turn around too fast. game is installed on my 250gb slim.
Are the graphics comparable to Reach? Framerate aside since Reach also had issues in that regard.

Photolysis said:
how could anyone on the dev team not notice that?
You do realise they are most certainly aware?
That for whatever reason they felt it was okay to ship it in that state. I can only assume that it had been on the cards for a while and other parts of the project took precendence or the benefits of not-sticking to a 30fps rule were worth it to them.

Either way, I'm still hoping it'll be magically addressed when I get my copy on Tuesday.

The Kinect features are coming out on a Day 1 Patch s1kkz.

Zeouterlimits said:
That for whatever reason they felt it was okay to ship it in that state. I can only assume that it had been on the cards for a while and other parts of the project took precendence or the benefits of not-sticking to a 30fps rule were worth it to them.

Either way, I'm still hoping it'll be magically addressed when I get my copy on Tuesday.
Frankie Magic. BELI343.

S1kkZ

EagleEyes said:
Are the graphics comparable to Reach? Framerate aside since Reach also had issues in that regard.
it doesnt look as good as reach, but some effects look pretty awesome. reach ran fine for the most part and only had slowdowns in a few areas (which still pissed me off). reach runs silky smooth compared to anniversary.

thanks@ zeo

Zeal

Banned
I'm just glad they finally fixed Master Chief's model. The initial reveal looked like some sort of terribly bizarre action figure brought to life, and not in the good Arby 'N Chief way, either.

Zeouterlimits said:

Well when Frank makes comments on how he wasn't aware of any problems, that implies that the team isn't aware. I don't exactly think he's lying through his teeth here.

And it's the opening cutscene... if there are severe framerate issues in the first 30 seconds of people playing the game - something that many many new players will see - then that looks very bad. It's not like a small flavour cutscene that doesn't matter that much, like say Chief kicking a small rock off a ledge in SC.

"We've got a few problems in the opening cutscene that could do with being fixed."
"Pfft, opening cutscene. Who the hell actually watches that?"

REV 09

really glad the maps are coming so soon. may get them. i sadly can't get interested in the campaign again, the leap isn't big enough and the art still seems off to me.

ElRenoRaven

S1kkZ said:
some other stuff:

-new soundtrack is really amazing, cant wait to buy it.
-very annoying shadow pop-in/flickering at the end of "halo" (the open area where you can choose which pack of marines to save first). the mountains in the background have a shadow over them which draws in or out when you come closer or goes away completly.

Sad to hear that about the Framerate, texture pop in, and the shadow flickering. And man the girder is rigid? really? That sucks too. I remember many a time screwing with that girder in 2. It was so fun to get it swinging. lol

Top Bottom