• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Tunavi

Banned
1 sleep

4gjWT.png

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Apologies if its been mentioned (I didn't see it in the thread yet), but hows the framerate? In all the videos I've seen it seems to stutter quite a bit and has me worried.

Halo is easily my most played SP campaign of all time. I absolutely can't wait!

blamite

OuterWorldVoice said:
To be fair, Halo 1's crouching mechanic is a little worse than that of the other games, due to the act that pushing the stick all the way in any direction uncrouches you. I'm assuming it works the same way in CEA, so that might be a bit annoying for someone who's not used to it. Even though the rest of that paragraph is pretty dumb.

ElRenoRaven

CyReN said:

Video review wasn't bad. They seem to say framerate isn't smooth and complain that it's the same game from 10 years ago. Course factually their facts were right. So I have no complaints about that review one bit even if I disagree with some of their complaints.

nofi

DKo5 said:
Apologies if its been mentioned (I didn't see it in the thread yet), but hows the framerate? In all the videos I've seen it seems to stutter quite a bit and has me worried.

No other reviews seemed to mention it, but dances wildly between 30 and 60 since the last update.

Zeal

Banned
What is the deal with these bogus reviews? Halo is a 10 game, multiple game of the year winner, yet HDing the graphics and remastering the audio in an incredible, over-the-top way somehow deserves giving the game 8's and 7's? lol, bitch, please.

It's like adding bacon to your sandwich.

ElRenoRaven

DKo5 said:

Having watched plenty of gameplay from people with retail copy it looks to be smooth for the most part with an occasional stutter here and there. Without a doubt it never goes above 30 fps though.

lucius

Reviews are not so great and it is too late to cancel my amazon order I just tried. Oh well could return it but will likely still try it out instead.

Zeal

Banned
Canceling your preorder over a few bad reviews is madness. We all know how awesome Halo is, and you don't need other people to tell you. This IS the original game with HD graphics and audio. What more is there to say?

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
8s and 9s are not great? Wut?

Yea. Anything a 7 and up is pretty damn good. It being a remake you can't really expect 9's and 10's. Seems that anywhere from a 7 and up is fair. I'd say anything lower is not being fair to it though.

lucius said:
Reviews are not so great and it is too late to cancel my amazon order I just tried. Oh well could return it but will likely still try it out instead.
Wait. Why would you cancel your orders based on reviews that have given the game a nines and eights?

Anyway, I really enjoyed the CVG review. Their intro grabbed me.
There are only three truly open maps in 343's pixel-perfect HD remake of Combat Evolved, same as it ever was. The game begins in narrow corridors aboard the Pillar of Autumn but immediately opens up on level two - Halo - where you'll race around some of the biggest spaces in the game and take on objectives in any order you please.

Truth and Reconciliation sends you back into narrow corridors for a tour around a Covenant ship before you're let loose in two massive open spaces - Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room.

This is Halo the way you remember it - drive a vehicle or don't, stand and fight or run and hide, rescue your allies or leave them to die, attack from the left or the right, kill everyone or sneak on by. When Bungie made Halo 3 they made almost every space as wide as Assault's - though none as open as Cartographer - because it's those moments and choices that defined Halo and made it great.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
lucius said:

Have...have you never played Halo 1? This is that. Or, that is this. If you like Halo 1, this is just more of that but prettier. Not sure what a review would do for you unless you are new to the series.

Zeal said:
What is the deal with these bogus reviews? Halo is a 10 game, multiple game of the year winner, yet HDing the graphics and remastering the audio in an incredible, over-the-top way somehow deserves giving the game 8's and 7's? lol, bitch, please.

It's like adding bacon to your sandwich.
Well there is a crucial and enormous portion of the original game that's missing in this one that was also responsible for the game taking off like wildfire and causing it to be played for years. :p

PooBone

Some of the facts being thrown out there are kinda ridiculous. The reviewer talking about how it's impossible to control the warthog, I just laughed. Even in the GiantBomb quicklook the player was talking about how all the sound effects are the same but the music has been redone.... I'm just baffled at the number of incorrect facts out there.

Rickenslacker said:
Well there is a crucial and enormous portion of the original game that's missing in this one that was also responsible for the game taking off like wildfire and causing it to be played for years. :p

Missing? No!....

Crap! I forgot to place my order on Amazon. I guess I should just go ahead and look for a store that's doing a midnight launch in Wilmington.

Having trouble finding out. :/

PooBone said:
Some of the facts being thrown out there are kinda ridiculous. The reviewer talking about how it's impossible to control the warthog, I just laughed. Even in the GiantBomb quicklook the player was talking about how all the sound effects are the same but the music has been redone.... I'm just baffled at the number of incorrect facts out there.

I could use very colorful words to describe some of these reviewers but I wont LOL.

in other news:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1212411p1.html

Halo 4 is a 360 game...... not a 720/1080/loop game. LOL

lucius

The 1up 75% review has me a bit worried they always been Halo fans and IGN expected a bit higher. But 84 average is still good I guess, I was expecting 88-91 average really with the metal gear and Ico remakes getting 91% averages. Anyway may still go up, and I still think the SP is the still best of the series so I will keep it, just so many games out now to play. At least it is not going as bad as Assassins Creed Revelations reviews.

lucius said:
The 1up 75% review has me a bit worried they always been Halo fans and IGN expected a bit higher. But 84 average is still good I guess, I was expecting 88-91 average really with the metal gear and Ico remakes getting 91% averages. Anyway may still go up, and I still think the SP is the still best of the series so I will keep it, just so many games out now to play. At least it is not going as bad as Assassins Creed Revelations reviews.
I just don't know what there is to concern yourself about. You've played Halo, you know what the game is like, you know what Anniversary is offering, what could a review score possibly matter?

Booshka

lucius said:
metacritic is a plague

Cynar

lucius said:
You are on had gaf and letting reviews guide your purchases? Madness.

PooBone

This from Edge, a respected establishment, in the face of that stupid quote from a reviewer who said the enemy AI was outdated:

Reach’s Elites were crafty enemies, certainly, but their talents seemed more focused on avoiding being shot at than hunting you down. Halo’s enemies offer no quarter, their canny aggression even now managing to startle. Equally capable of tactical retreats as they are flanking manoeuvres that catch you off-guard, fighting them on Legendary is as close to an equal match-up as any FPS since has managed to offer.

Every reviewer has an idea in their heads about what a remake should entail, and the fact is, and perhaps this does reflect the slightly sorry state of video game journalism, that they'll go into playing CEA with that very unique idea about exactly what it should be in their minds, rather than reviewing it as a remake on its own terms. The fact that the gameplay was untouched could be a positive for one reviewer and a negative for another. This kind of poliarisation isn't seen with other games, hence I'm not surprised at all about the relatively low scores CEA has been getting. It is physically impossible for 343 to reach the demands that each individual reviewer had for CEA, and emphasis should not be placed on them.

Zeal

Banned
343 did a damn fine job with this remake. The feature to switch back and forth from original to the updated graphics really shows you how much work was put into updating everything. The attention to detail is amazing, and some areas have major updates to the geometry of the structures and models. This really was a labor of love.

nofi

dark10x said:
Are you certain? It jumps up to 60 fps in certain spots?

As certain as I can be that it definitely goes above 30. Play Truth and Rec and in certain spots it's buttery smooth.

Edit: I was wrong, TV settings were fucked up.

Guevara

Ugh. It feels like many of the technical complaints reinforce my belief that H:A should have been a launch title for the 720. Will buy, just for $20 or less.

PsychoRaven said:
And oh hell yea. I love Amazon.
indeed. I just got the same email, woohoo!

In other news, I'm so sick right now that I won't be going to the launch party here in Austin tonight, which really, really sucks (sorry Tunavi). I took so much time off for my surgery that I can't take any more time off from work either, so it's just going to be one of those weeks. At least I'll have my Anniversary tomorrow.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nofi said:
As certain as I can be that it definitely goes above 30. Play Truth and Rec and in certain spots it's buttery smooth.
So you can't be sure? Framerates over 30 but under 60 fps look terrible (lots of judder), so that wouldn't be "buttery smooth". I'm betting it's capped at 30 fps.

Top Bottom