• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Sean P.

nofi said:
As certain as I can be that it definitely goes above 30. Play Truth and Rec and in certain spots it's buttery smooth.

I believe the animations are all made to run at 30FPS, they don't have the frames for them to run the game at a higher FPS.

Majanew

Banned
Reading that the game has framerate problems is very disappointing. What the fuck were they thinking? A solid framerate comes first.

nofi

dark10x said:
So you can't be sure? Framerates over 30 but under 60 fps look terrible (lots of judder), so that wouldn't be "buttery smooth". I'm betting it's capped at 30 fps.

it's not capped at 30.

happy to be proved wrong (and i'll apologise) but the latest patch - for me - makes it run faster than 30, in places.

Edit: I was wrong, TV settings were fucked up.

Majanew

Banned
nofi said:
it's not capped at 30.

happy to be proved wrong (and i'll apologise) but the latest patch - for me - makes it run faster than 30, in places.
You sure that's not just the game finally hitting 30fps and looking smooth? lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nofi said:
it's not capped at 30.
So what is it then? How sensitive to framerates are you?

I find it hard to believe that the game runs at 60 fps. Anything above 30 that isn't 60 will look very poor in motion as well, so I don't believe it would be left uncapped.

Also, unless they re-did all of the animation, everything in the game is designed to move at 30 fps. In the PC version of Halo 1, disabling the framerate limiter allowed for 60 fps camera panning, but all animation was limited to 30 fps resulting in a very disjointed look.

I'm slightly concerned that what you are seeing during the "smooth" sections is actually a solid 30 fps and that other parts of the game run at sub-30 fps (which, based on a lot of early footage, seemed like it might be the case).

A quick clarification on achievements:

So my understanding is that the Anniversary Campaign has a 1000/1000gs and the map pack has an additional gs added onto Reach. Am I right, and if so what's the total amount of gs being added to Reach?

Roddslayer said:

So my understanding is that the Anniversary Campaign has a 1000/1000gs and the map pack has an additional gs added onto Reach. Am I right, and if so what's the total amount of gs being added to Reach?
You are right. 300GS will be added to Reach.

ElRenoRaven

Sean P. said:
I believe the animations are all made to run at 30FPS, they don't have the frames for them to run the game at a higher FPS.

Exactly. That's why you'll never see it above 30fps as long as a remake is using the original engine.

blamite

Roddslayer said:

Campaign has 1000 G, and multiplayer adds 250 G for Anniversary maps, and (I think) an extra 50 G if you have the Defiant maps.

FyreWulff

Roddslayer said:

They added new achievements for Defiant too. Reach is now up to 1700.

I think Anniversary maps by itself is 250?

nofi

dark10x said:
So what is it then? How sensitive to framerates are you?

I find it hard to believe that the game runs at 60 fps. Anything above 30 that isn't 60 will look very poor in motion as well, so I don't believe it would be left uncapped.

Also, unless they re-did all of the animation, everything in the game is designed to move at 30 fps. In the PC version of Halo 1, disabling the framerate limiter allowed for 60 fps camera panning, but all animation was limited to 30 fps resulting in a very disjointed look.

I'm slightly concerned that what you are seeing during the "smooth" sections is actually a solid 30 fps and that other parts of the game run at sub-30 fps (which, based on a lot of early footage, seemed like it might be the case).

Look, I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm a stickler for frame rates. Can I check later and get back to you? I'll ignore the 'LOLs' from others, but I recognise you and we've discussed this in the past - for me (upscaling to 1080p) it's not locked at 30, and I think it goes higher.

Talking about SP, of course.

Edit: I was wrong, TV settings were fucked up. Sorry.

Sean P.

PsychoRaven said:
Exactly. That's why you'll never see it above 30fps as long as a remake is using the original engine.

I remember in Halo PC when you ran the game at above 30 FPS the game would run buttery smooth and the animations still running at 30 FPS would be super jittery haha.

E: Just realized dark posted this in his previous post as well, good old Halo PC nostalgia

JB1981

Zeal said:
343 did a damn fine job with this remake. The feature to switch back and forth from original to the updated graphics really shows you how much work was put into updating everything. The attention to detail is amazing, and some areas have major updates to the geometry of the structures and models. This really was a labor of love.

what happened to your stream mayne.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nofi said:
Look, I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm a stickler for frame rates. Can I check later and get back to you? I'll ignore the 'LOLs' from others, but I recognise you and we've discussed this in the past - for me (upscaling to 1080p) it's not locked at 30, and I think it goes higher.

Talking about SP, of course.
OK, I'll be interested in hearing from ya. I don't get my copy until tomorrow, but when I do, I'll make sure to report back as well.

I actually kind of hope they lock it to 30 fps, though, as going beyond that when you can't hold 60 fps is pretty jarring for me.

Sai-kun

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
How are your holiday hours so far? We just got another 3rd key so I am not getting any hours at all :/

I have this week off because of finals for school, but I think my hours will stay about the same. I usually get 4-8 hours/week during school, and sometimes more during the holidays, since I'm one of two part-timers on staff. I don't know how many holidays hires we have yet, but it can't be more then 2-3.

nofi

dark10x said:
OK, I'll be interested in hearing from ya. I don't get my copy until tomorrow, but when I do, I'll make sure to report back as well.

I actually kind of hope they lock it to 30 fps, though, as going beyond that when you can't hold 60 fps is pretty jarring for me.

Me too. Worth noting that - I think - this only happened in the patch over the weekend.

I'll check as soon as I get access to the TV.

aj1467 said:
Has anyone else read this article on Kotaku?

http://kotaku.com/5859367/

But we shouldn't hate Call of Duty as per their article earlier. I love COD. What I do not love is someone telling me that I should appreciate something. By this logic you shouldn't buy any of the HD releases. It makes no sense.

Anyways:

Is there a place on Best Buy's website where I can see the list of midnight openings? I just called the one near me and asked a lady on the phone and did not get a good answer. Here is the conversation:
Me: "Hi are you going to be open for the Halo release tonight at midnight>"
Her: "Uhhhh I don't know let me check"
Me: "Thanks!"
*she puts the phone down but to the point where I can still hear her talking to her coworkers*
Her to an employee in the background: "Are we going to be open for the release of Halo today?"
Employee: "Didn't that come out last week?"
Her: "Oh yeah Halo: Modern Warfare."
*She picks up the phone*
Her: "Halo came out last week."
Me: "Actually Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary comes out tonight. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 came out last week and you all were open for that."
Her: "Oh! Let me see if anyone in gaming knows"
Me: "Thanks."
*She puts me on hold*
Her: "So as far as anyone knows we are not going to be open at midnight. Sorry!"

This is the same Best Buy that managed to sell my preorder for Gears Limited to someone at the midnight launch of Gears 3. Granted they made up for it by giving me the Epic Edition for $90, but still this particular location has the most incompetent employees ever. So for all they know they might be open tonight. I need to find a different Best Buy around here but I'm new to the area.

blamite

Argh I hate that this is out during finals. Probably not going to get to play much for about a week, but my 6 week winter break will be great for Anniversary, Skyrim, and Zelda.

Sai-kun

Banned
blamite said:
Argh I hate that this is out during finals. Probably not going to get to play much for about a week, but my 6 week winter break will be great for Anniversary, Skyrim, and Zelda.

The quarter system is the best for winter break. *highfive*

FyreWulff

mhi said:
You guys know any place I can buy an Anniversary maps code ?

Gamestop has the exclusive rights to MS map pack codes, they current sell Defiant and Noble, so it can be assumed they'll also be selling Anniversary.

Zoolader

Awesome Barlow said:
I need to find a different Best Buy around here but I'm new to the area.

Wal-Mart is open 24 hours... midnight launch is always a given, and you don't have to deal with crowds or lines. Surely there are 10 Wal-marts within the 5 mile radius of where you live.

I knew the reviews wouldn't be high 9's or so, so the 8's are what I expected, but anyways can't wait for tomorrow also this is the only review you should pay attention to as Edge is really the best reviewers out there in my opinion:

Edge Review

goatrope and I are doing a co-op run through Halo: Anniversary right now. We are doing it on Legendary and are looking for skulls/terminals and doing all the old tricks that we can think of along the way.

unfortunately my Black Magic Capture Card literally melted/died this morning so HD Webcam it is. :(

Should be fun though, come and check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/devinolsen

Zoolader said:
Wal-Mart is open 24 hours... midnight launch is always a given, and you don't have to deal with crowds or lines. Surely there are 10 Wal-marts within the 5 mile radius of where you live.
Yeah I regret doing business with them. I just don't want to deal with canceling my preorder.

Karl2177

Sai-kun said:
I have this week off because of finals for school, but I think my hours will stay about the same. I usually get 4-8 hours/week during school, and sometimes more during the holidays, since I'm one of two part-timers on staff. I don't know how many holidays hires we have yet, but it can't be more then 2-3.
We opened a second store in our town and almost everyone that worked at the mall store is at the south store now. Tons of new hires though, and one of the guys's first day was the mw3 midnight launch. Poor fella.

Homeboyd

FyreWulff said:
Gamestop has the exclusive rights to MS map pack codes, they current sell Defiant and Noble, so it can be assumed they'll also be selling Anniversary.
Still looking for a map code. If anyone has an extra or is willing to trade when I pick my copy up tomorrow, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Just finished the game on Legendary. Completed The Maw with 57.46 seconds left on the clock. Fuck.

Oh and this stuff about the FPS going above 30 is a bunch of crap. Game is maxed at 30, generally plays at 28-30 FPS (in my opinion), with a couple of parts where a drop is noticeable.

nofi

Photolysis said:
Just finished the game on Legendary. Completed The Maw with 57.46 seconds left on the clock. Fuck.

Oh and this stuff about the FPS going above 30 is a bunch of crap. Game is maxed at 30, generally plays at 28-30 FPS (in my opinion), with a couple of parts where a drop is noticeable.

Crap?

I'm looking at the ground in T&R, moving sideways. If I fire and reload it's clear (to me) that the reload animation is at half the frame rate than the floor moving.

Still, whatever.

Edit: wait, I'm being a dick. Swapped over HDMI cables yesterday and the TV was on the wrong settings.

Sorry. =(

Top Bottom