• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

soldat7

FyreWulff said:
Halo: CE literally has arrows on the floor telling you where to go.

Of course it does, but people don't always notice them (part of the design brilliance) and folks still complain about getting lost and wandering around in the dark for some reason. Halo 2 and 3 were major downgrades as a result.

I caved and bought this. I will tell you if the framerate sucks shortly.

Does anyone want a 2-day Gold Trial or whatever avatar tack comes with this?

ncsuDuncan said:
What, the final cutscene?

Lord Hood: Isolate that signal! Master Chief, mind telling me what you're
doing on that ship?
Master Chief: Sir, finishing this fight.

That would still be the very end of Halo 2 Anniversary. Only now it comes after you've just battled your way through the Forerunner Keyship as MC instead of after a frustrating boss battle as the Arbiter.
Yeah. The final cutscene is what I want to leave intact. I think it's perfect.
soldat7 said:
Compared to most modern games? Compared to the other Halo installments?
It can be at times. I did my first on-foot run of "Halo" in Anniversary and the nav marker was on the Warthog the entire time ("Hey! Don't forget about the Warthog...you can still use it...it's right here...you should use it."). Though I may be thinking too quickly, in what way do later Halo games hold the player's hand in a significant way as compared to Halo 1? Especially ODST.

Retro

Had one of those weird not-getting-enough-sleep-been-gaming-too-much dreams this morning, my wife and I were at a theater to see a live-action Halo movie. Opened with footage from the fall of Reach as Halsey narrated and quickly summed up humanity's colonization and contact with the Covenant. Pillar of Autumn jumps from orbit, the camera following it through slip space, and arriving at Halo, where the title appeared and people started applauding.

Somebody needs to get their ass going on a Halo movie already, I want to see that Weta Warthog in action.

FyreWulff said:
Halo: CE literally has arrows on the floor telling you where to go.

At least it's not a brightly glowing path with animated arrows telling you where to go. Oh hi, Perfect Dark Zero.

soldat7

Dax01 said:
It can be at times. I did my first on-foot run of "Halo" in Anniversary and the nav marker was on the Warthog the entire time ("Hey! Don't forget about the Warthog...you can still use it...it's right here...you should use it."). Though I may be thinking too quickly, in what way do later Halo games hold the player's hand in a significant way as compared to Halo 1? Especially ODST.

The level designs became must more closed and much more linear. You can even go back to some developer videos of Halo 3 where they talk about people being confused in levels like Sierra 117, so they changed the level. ODST and Reach were excellent returns to form, IMO, and I hope Halo 4 blows us all away with huge sweeping levels.

And yes, the waypoints in Halo: CE tend to pop up rather quickly, but for the most part, right from the beginning, you have choices to make.

soldat7 said:
The level designs became must more closed and much more linear. You can even go back to some developer videos of Halo 3 where they talk about people being confused in levels like Sierra 117, so they changed the level. ODST and Reach were excellent returns to form, IMO, and I hope Halo 4 blows us all away with huge sweeping levels.
That's true for Halo 2, but Halo 3 is less linear than Halo 1 (maybe not in overall level design, but on individual encounters). That's part of the reason why 3's encounters are a step above Halo 1's.

The Scarab battle in The Storm is less linear than any encounter in Halo 1.

dark10x said:
I spent some time with this yesterday and, jesus, the engine created for single player feels awful. Scratch that, it FEELS like Halo, but it runs terribly. I can't believe how unpolished the experience is here. The game almost never holds a solid framerate. You have the full selection of performance problems here from hitching and stuttering to framerate dips. Is it playable? Absolutely, but it feels poorly optimized at all times.

If this was due to the "classic visuals" then I'd say they made a huge mistake.

As a game designed as a tribute I'd say the ball was dropped pretty hard. The general performance is worse than some sandbox games this gen.

This is post installation, by the way. Running off of the disc is even worse.

I still kind of enjoyed what I played, but the poor performance compromised the experience.

I agree. Such a terrible, terrible trade off. The game is never smooth and with enemies on the screen slowdowns join the party too. Its a shame, i really like what Saber did with the Halo level (second level) but the ridiculous framerate is killing the joy for me. Streaming issus are also there but its the framerate that bothers me immensely.

Majanew

Banned
plagiarize said:
From the start of the very first cutscene for as far into the game as I have played. Generally the drops are minor but they are pretty much happening all the time.
Yeah. The freaking opening cutscene literally stutters almost the entire time. The ship just stutters along. The fact that some are claiming they don't see it is either them lying or they don't know what the hell a framerate stutter/drop is, and probably makes 343 think it's all ok. Fuck this game's stuttering and fuck the lag in co-op. Microsoft's flagship IP and this is the shit they give us.

senador

Banned
I get plenty of stutter every time I load it up and the intro vid plays. Thr opening cutscene stutters quite a lot too. Then on PoA there's plenty of slowdown during gameplay. It starts to go away after a few missions and by Silent Cartographer there is hardly any. Still when it does its annoying. Even as I sit in the menu the framerate dips and skips along as the camera moves all around the ring.

It sucks but I can forgive it to a degree because of how much fun I'm having. Also, it's worse in this than I have experienced in Reach.

Note: I've had it installed since I got it.

Edit: What was this 2nd 9mb download for? What'd the first do?

Majanew said:
Yeah. The freaking opening cutscene literally stutters almost the entire time. The ship just stutters along. The fact that some are claiming they don't see it is either them lying or they don't know what the hell a framerate stutter/drop is, and probably makes 343 think it's all ok. Fuck this game's stuttering and fuck the lag in co-op. Microsoft's flagship IP and this is the shit they give us.
The opening 343 credits/montage stutters like hell, but I've watched the beginning scene twice now and have no issues with the framerate there. Very odd.

clutch.as.it.gets. said:
I agree. Such a terrible, terrible trade off. The game is never smooth and with enemies on the screen slowdowns join the party too. Its a shame, i really like what Saber did with the Halo level (second level) but the ridiculous framerate is killing the joy for me. Streaming issus are also there but its the framerate that bothers me immensely.

By the time I got to Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control room almost all the hiccups were gone. It is such a strange framerate issue that seems to come from nowhere. It doesn't matter how much or how little stuff is going on either. I've had crazy battles out in the open with loads of enemies and not a drop. I'm out in the open and a chug or two occurs.

feel

Retro said:
Had one of those weird not-getting-enough-sleep-been-gaming-too-much dreams this morning, my wife and I were at a theater to see a live-action Halo movie. Opened with footage from the fall of Reach as Halsey narrated and quickly summed up humanity's colonization and contact with the Covenant. Pillar of Autumn jumps from orbit, the camera following it through slip space, and arriving at Halo, where the title appeared and people started applauding.

Somebody needs to get their ass going on a Halo movie already, I want to see that Weta Warthog in action.
Go download Landfall :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Real Napsta said:
Does installing the game help any problems?
It "helps" in that the performance is less poor while installed, buy by and large, it's still not smooth. It is, without a doubt, the worst performance in any console Halo game to date. The original Halo wasn't exactly great, but when it was holding 30 fps, it was a consistent 30.

I wouldn't say the framerate dips, rather that, when in the new graphics mode, it is consistently below 30 fps. It is most starkly illustrated by switching from old graphics to new. The old are buttery smooth and aiming feels perfect; in the new graphics, the aiming feels sluggish at times. The main menu also has input lag, a second delay before registering the command.

The good is that they've preserved the gameplay flawlessly. It's only reinforcing my belief that it is indeed the greatest Halo campaign (followed by ODST).

Playing with bumper jumper is absolutely fantastic; I switched to bumper jumper in Halo 3 and have subsequently not played much of the original CE because of default controls.

The sniper sounds AMAZING, each shot like a booming canon of the apocalypse. Halo 4's sniper should sound exactly like that.

Halo CE's sniper fires refreshingly fast. I can take a shit and wipe thoroughly between shots with the Reach sniper. Halo 4's sniper should also fire that rapidly.

Edit: I'll also add that I don't play COD or any other 60 fps game. I'm not a framerate whore; I never noticed any framerate issues, ever, in Halo 3.

thee henery said:
I wouldn't say the framerate dips, rather that, when in the new graphics mode, it is consistently below 30 fps. .
maybe they had to go with triple buffering because of that and thus aiming feels inconsistent and sluggish at times?

i nerini del buio said:
maybe they had to go with triple buffering because of that and thus aiming feels inconsistent and sluggish at times?

Maybe. I can see why they did it; you can't see framerate on the back of the game box. My worry is that there's pressure on developers to continually improve on graphics to sell new games each year but the 360 is not up to it and thus the framerate suffers. Like I said, never has fr issues in Halo 3, campaign and multiplayer. In Reach, the framerate is shocking at points (which is completely unacceptable in multiplayer), scoping on Asylum and Condemned are two of the most obvious one's. It's why I fear Halo 4 will have a shoddy framerate; the pressure on 343 to produce a visual extravaganza will be great, it being their first stab at an original Halo. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Elginer

Just discovered some seriously messed up crap with Anniversary. Several times I've been low on health wondering, "Why the hell is there no health packs anywhere around her?".

I flip to the old version of CE and will find health packs littering the ground which are JUST NOT THERE AT ALL in the new engine. What kind of crap is that?!

Also to chime in, yes the framerate is indeed shit.

Any ETA on the online co-op patch? Is there even a patch coming? Has 343 or Sabre even acknowledged that there is a major issue?

Online co-op was basically the only reason I got this game. We have been alternating who is host because host has lag advantage, but that is just ridiculous.

LosDaddie

Banned
Damn.... I didn't know the Anniversary map pack is already out. 1200 MS pts.

How many maps is it? I'm going to DL it either this weekend, or next.

GavinGT

Banned
I noticed at least two spots on Truth and Reconciliation where the new geometry doesn't match the old geometry, even though the hit detection is totally unchanged. The first is at the very beginning of the mission, where Cortana tells the marines to stay back while the Master Chief takes the guys out. Portions of the ground on the elevated walkway off to the right actually appears lower in the new graphics mode than in the old. This led to me wasting multiple clips of sniper rifle, until I flipped back to the old graphics mode and realized I was actually shooting the floor.

This happened again later in the level, when I was actually on the ship TaR. In at least one of the doorways (I didn't check them all) the new graphics mode gives the illusion that you have a clear shot on the far left and far right, but flipping back to the old graphics mode confirms that there are panels sticking out blocking your shot.

It's unfortunate, because invisible walls were never a problem when it came to shooting people in Halo.

delta25

Banned
Majanew said:
The fact that some are claiming they don't see it is either them lying or they don't know what the hell a framerate stutter/drop is, and probably makes 343 think it's all ok.

As I said, I've yet to encounter any frame rate drops( currently playing through TSC), I mean, the FPS is a little janky in spots but its nothing I would call substantial. You want to see frame drops, go play Halo Reach again. I really think you're overreacting just a tad.

GavinGT

Banned
The framerate is jumping around damn near the entire time. You need only go back to the old graphics mode to see how much more smoothly the crosshairs used to move. It's honestly harder to shoot now. I used to be able to just intuitively headshot grunt after grunt, but now it's taking multiple shots because the crosshairs don't move like they should.

And, on another note, some of the color palette changes they've made are just bad. The level Halo has lost much of its charm because the brown and green that used to define it are all but gone.

Game should have been delayed until March or something but I'm sure they were really intent on hitting that 10-year date as it is the basis for the entire game.

darthbob

The Lamonster said:
Game should have been delayed until March or something but I'm sure they were really intent on hitting that 10-year date as it is the basis for the entire game.

Release dates...the bane of all Halo games.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GavinGT said:
And, on another note, some of the color palette changes they've made are just bad. The level Halo has lost much of its charm because the brown and green that used to define it are all but gone.
Really?

Anyone have stuttering or major framerates issues, install your game if you have the space. It's what I've done and the only drops I've had are barely perceptible.

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Anyone have stuttering or major framerates issues, install your game if you have the space. It's what I've done and the only drops I've had are barely perceptible.

It still runs poor installed. I would even say it doesn`t improve the framerate at all. It felft exactly the same to me.

orznge

Banned
thee henery said:
Edit: I'll also add that I don't play COD or any other 60 fps game. I'm not a framerate whore; I never noticed any framerate issues, ever, in Halo 3.

lol at the connotation of the phrase "framerate whore" and also the whole idea of this post

Waaghals

dark10x said:
Frame drops were never this bad in the other Halo games.

Wait, am I missing something? The ice cave level in reach had some terrible slowdown, are you saying that there are parts in anniversary thats worse? (I've just started AOTCR).

wwm0nkey

soldat7 said:
With multiplayer.
That kind of goes without saying when it comes to Halo 2 lol

But like Frankie said in an interview a Halo 2 anniversary would have to be a completely different package than CE Anniversary and I think XBLA is the best way to do that.

Devin Olsen said:
I would be down for this, except for the absolutely terrible netcode :(
Dont forget the shitty KB+M controls

AlStrong

wwm0nkey said:
Dont forget the shitty KB+M controls

The game supports 360 pad :p

Devin Olsen said:
I would be down for this, except for the absolutely terrible netcode :(

Shit happens when you try to bolt on online to a game whose LAN code was pretty last minute in the first place. :)

Short of using a different engine, I don't think there is much they can do for co-op. It's almost as if the game is set to offline co-op (single screen) and all that network info is then sent to player 2 on the other end. (If that makes sense).

---------

Folks should also understand that the original engine was never meant to support 60fps. All the animations, physics and AI tic rates are fixed to 30Hz, so the only 60fps you're getting is when you aim around. Everything is going to look jittery due to the 30Hz rate. This is exactly what you (I) see in halo PC without the 30fps limiter in place.

wwm0nkey

AlStrong said:
The game supports 360 pad :p
While I do play it with a controller they should still have had good KB+M controls since you know its a PC game and all.

k13yux.png

It will happen one day :p

Top Bottom