• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

feel

Tomasooie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Zp9CNRFJE

I had to do it (with my shitty laptop mic)! There are a few parts I'd want to redo, and maybe turn up the instrumental track, but I don't want to do another take.

Cool lyrics, though!
oi9ldx.jpg

Please do a polished up version with a proper mic and mixing. :)

Looking through the Anniversary achievements again, this has to be the best batch of campaign achievements to do. So many are going to be so much fun to do.

ElRenoRaven

The playlists

Anniversary Squad
4v4 Slayer and Objective
Contains Anniversary Classic and TU game types
Maps: Battle Canyon, Beaver Creek, Solitary, Prisoner, Penance, Damnation, High Noon, Hang ‘Em High
Game types: Anniversary Classic Team Slayer, Anniversary Classic Multiflag, Anniversary Classic Assault, Anniversary Classic 1 Flag, Anniversary Classic 1 Bomb, Team Slayer, Team Slayer DMRs, Team Slayer Pro, Elite slayer, Assault, Multiflag, 1 Flag DMRs, Stockpile, Crazy King DMRs, Neutral Bomb, Headhunter, Hot Potato DMRs, Territories

Anniversary BTB
8v8 Slayer and Objective
Maps: Breakneck, Headlong, Ridgeline, Timberland, High Noon, Hang ‘Em High
Game types: Anniversary Classic Big Team Slayer, Big Team Slayer, Big Team Snipers, Big Team Elite Slayer, Big Team Multiflag, Big Team 1 Flag, Big Team Assault, Big Team 1 Bomb, Big Team Neutral Bomb, Big Team Territories, Big Team Crazy King, Big Team Stockpile

Anniversary FFA
FFA Slayer with a pinch of Objective
Maps: Battle Canyon, Beaver Creek, Solitary, Prisoner, Penance, Damnation, High Noon, Hang ‘Em High
Game types: Anniversary Classic Slayer, Slayer, Slayer DMRs, Slayer Pro, Elite Slayer, Headhunter, Crazy King, Infection, Alpha Zombies, Oddball

Anniversary Classic
4v4 Slayer and Objective
Contains Anniversary Classic game types
Maps: Beaver Creek, Hang ‘Em High, Headlong, Damnation, Prisoner
Game types: Anniversary Classic Team Slayer, Anniversary Classic Team Snipers, Anniversary Classic Multiflag, Anniversary Classic 1 Flag, Anniversary Classic Assault, Anniversary Classic 1 Bomb, Anniversary Classic Oddball

Anniversary Firefight
Contains our most popular Firefight variants
Map: Installation 04
Game types: Arcade Fistfight, Arcade Nadefight, Arcade Rocketfight, Arcade Sniperfight, Arcade FRGfight, Arcade Plasmafight, Arcade Fiestafight, Arcade Arcadefight

Aha at Ridgeline's description!
“Overlooking one of Halo’s impressive relay complexes, this idyllic cliffside once served as a UNSC staging area.”

Once serving as a watchpoint for the immense relay complex below, the monitoring outposts nestled atop this ridge became a staging ground for human forces during their time on Installation 04. Toward the end of the conflict, a Covenant assault brought the resistance of the marines here to a tragic end.

That's Major Silva's base! Excellent work there, 343. Excellent work.

feel

I was about to cry and burn my beli343 shirt when I read the description of the Anniversary Squad playlist and saw all those Armor Ability/fringe gametypes mixed in. Then I scrolled down and saw that there's a separate Anniversary Classic one... :)

feel

Dax01 said:
Can anyone tell what the second object reflecting in MC's visor is? There's GS and something else.
There's only the i04 ring being reflected. The two circles are his cyborg eyes being seen through the visor.
you cannot unsee now

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Tomasooie, I am eternally indebted to you. Sooooo awesome.

Farooq

Banned
I have not been keeping up with CEA news lately.

I saw a video of the Hang em High remake, the pistol seemed like it was 3 shot kill, but there was bloom. Although the reticule collapses very quickly, I thought that garbage was going to be removed from the classic playlists.

Can someone give me some insight? If there is bloom on the classic pistol, what was 343's justification?

Farooq said:

I saw a video of the Hang em High remake, the pistol seemed like it was 3 shot kill, but there was bloom. Although the reticule collapses very quickly, I thought that garbage was going to be removed from the classic playlists.

Can someone give me some insight? If there is bloom on the classic pistol, what was 343's justification?
That was the Anniversary Magnum.

- 3-shot kill
- If you hold the trigger down, there is bloom. Just like in Halo CE.
- If you release the trigger between shots, there is NO bloom. Just like in Halo CE.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Farooq said:

CE Pistol. Rapidly squeeze the trigger = no bloom. Hold down the trigger = bloom.

As far as I know.

Farooq

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
That was the Anniversary Magnum.

- 3-shot kill
- If you hold the trigger down, there is bloom. Just like in Halo CE.
- If you release the trigger between shots, there is NO bloom. Just like in Halo CE.

So every shot the person in the video took was with the trigger held down?

I swear I saw the pistol reticule expand on every shot.

feel

Farooq said:
So every shot the person in the video took was with the trigger held down?

I swear I saw the pistol reticule expand on every shot.
As far as I understand it, the reticule is blooming after every shot but if you let go of the trigger it actually completely settles just in time for your next shot. If you hold the trigger it won't settle completely before your next shot. It's a shame they couldn't do this behind the scenes and just have a static reticule like in the old games.

Ramirez

Letters said:
As far as I understand it, the reticule is blooming after every shot but if you let go of the trigger it actually completely settles just in time for your next shot. If you hold the trigger it won't settle completely before your next shot. It's a shame they couldn't do this behind the scenes and just have a static reticule like in the old games.

This X a million. Playing the campaign with real Halo gameplay, and then going back to a slightly polished Reach MP is going to be a massive downer.

Farooq

Banned
Letters said:

But they were able to remove bloom, we played the zero bloom gametype. Did they just want to recreate bloom with the trigger held down? I don't remember anyone in CE holding the trigger down and seems such a minuscule thing to include, especially if it may effect gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fthwBbP11QA This is the video I am talking about by the way (I am sure all of you have already seen it)

@343 (or anyone that knows): Will the CEA maps be integrated into the updated DLC matching algorithm in the other playlists.

Example: Playing the existing Team Slayer hopper with 8 people who have the CEA maps. Could a CEA map be an option to play on?

feel

Farooq said:
But they were able to remove bloom, we played the zero bloom gametype. Did they just want to recreate bloom with the trigger held down? I don't remember anyone in CE holding the trigger down and seems such a minuscule thing to include, especially if it may effect gameplay.
Agreed. It frustrating and kinda painful to see these kind of decisions all the time with online Halo. The Anniversary playlists lineup is borderline insulting too. Reach fans already have the rest of the game to enjoy, why the heck does 80% of the Anniversary side of matchmaking have to be devoted to that style of gameplay too?? Where's the zero bloom playlist with 5 shot DMR and Classic rules, using every map available? I was expecting major changes to the playlist/online management of the franchise with a fresh (and not bored of Halo) development studio being in charge now but I guess it won't be happening. My only hope is that with Halo 4 at least the gameplay becomes more focused on a single style again, good or bad. Reach is a mess of variables, it has no clue what it wants to be.

J-Roderton

I've managed to stay completely out of the loop with all of the Halo Anniversary stuff. As soon as I pop in the disc it will all be fresh. I haven't looked at anything except the trailer. Can't wait.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this game.

I think the biggest whoa moment will be landing on the beach (Silent Cartographer) while playing online co-op. For some reason the idea of being able to play the game co-op on your own screen over live just blows me away.

Farooq

Banned
Letters said:
Agreed. It frustrating and kinda painful to see these kind of decisions all the time with online Halo. The Anniversary playlists lineup is borderline insulting too. Reach fans already have the rest of the game to enjoy, why the heck does 80% of the Anniversary side of matchmaking have to be devoted to that style of gameplay too?? Where's the zero bloom playlist with 5 shot DMR and Classic rules, using every map available? I was expecting major change in this regard with 343i being in charge but I guess it won't be happening. My only hope is that with Halo 4 at least the gameplay becomes more focused on a single style again, good or bad. Reach is a mess of variables.

You know what, I am feeling the same sentiment now. I really had high hopes for CEA. I thought it would be good enough to tide me over until Halo 4. I am not so sure now.

Edit: I read the Bulletin. I am extremely disappointed. First with the TU gametypes. Modified bloom? It plays the exact same. I don't see how it is any different from regular Vanilla Reach. What happened to the ZB playlist?

Second, it looks like if you want to play 'classic CE', you are relegated to one playlist. That playlist being a cluster fuck of objective, slayer and niche gametypes.

soldat7

image4.png

Best Big Team Battle map evar. Oh, the memories...Shame my old Halo 2 crew is all growed up and doing serious things now...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Awesome Bulletin. Does that one blurb about the playlists mean that the TU settings will now be in effect for ALL Reach playlists?

zethren

Banned
Great OT, Ghaleon.

SO excited to be playing on Headlong again. So many delicious zombie games on that map, back in the day.

An-Det

I've had it preordered for a while, getting it for $20 due to $20 in credit I had from Amazon, I cant wait. It's been so long since I've played through CE, something like 5 or 6 years, so this will be a treat.

sp3000

Letters said:
Agreed. It frustrating and kinda painful to see these kind of decisions all the time with online Halo. The Anniversary playlists lineup is borderline insulting too. Reach fans already have the rest of the game to enjoy, why the heck does 80% of the Anniversary side of matchmaking have to be devoted to that style of gameplay too?? Where's the zero bloom playlist with 5 shot DMR and Classic rules, using every map available? I was expecting major changes to the playlist/online management of the franchise with a fresh (and not bored of Halo) development studio being in charge now but I guess it won't be happening. My only hope is that with Halo 4 at least the gameplay becomes more focused on a single style again, good or bad. Reach is a mess of variables, it has no clue what it wants to be.

Online Halo sucks now anyway. These maps can't really save it when they are keeping bloom and all the other issues in the playlists.

Sai-kun

Banned
Farooq said:
You know what, I am feeling the same sentiment now. I really had high hopes for CEA. I thought it would be good enough to tide me over until Halo 4. I am not so sure now.

Edit: I read the Bulletin. I am extremely disappointed. First with the TU gametypes. Modified bloom? It plays the exact same. I don't see how it is any different from regular Vanilla Reach. What happened to the ZB playlist?

Second, it looks like if you want to play 'classic CE', you are relegated to one playlist. That playlist being a cluster fuck of objective, slayer and niche gametypes.

Dude, if you think 85% plays anywhere near the same as 100%, you are out of your mind. The change seems subtle as face value, but in one match you can see and feel the difference. C'mon, son.

feel

85% bloom is indeed noticeably better, but it only slightly reduces the frustrating lottery gunplay issue, it doesn't fix it. Zero Bloom with appropriate ROF caps is still king solution by far in my opinion. But bah!! who cares at this point, it's just a convoluted mess that only keeps getting worse while their hands are tied by respect and trying to please everyone, bring on clean slate Halo 4.

Hydranockz said:
@343 (or anyone that knows): Will the CEA maps be integrated into the updated DLC matching algorithm in the other playlists.

Example: Playing the existing Team Slayer hopper with 8 people who have the CEA maps. Could a CEA map be an option to play on?
The maps will be released as a normal DLC for Reach players, so yes.

heckfu

Banned
soldat7 said:

Best Big Team Battle map evar. Oh, the memories...Shame my old Halo 2 crew is all growed up and doing serious things now...

I was just thinking the same thing. I had such a strong group I played with and they've either quit halo or gaming as a whole save a few individuals. Sucks.

Farooq

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Dude, if you think 85% plays anywhere near the same as 100%, you are out of your mind. The change seems subtle as face value, but in one match you can see and feel the difference. C'mon, son.

It played like garbage to me. I played the beta playlist, I noticed the same exact issues that were in vanilla Reach.

I think it is a delusion to think that a mere 15% reduction in bloom would result in different gameplay.

Spammers still beat out out pacers, battles are still roll of the dice, and kill times because of bloom are still painfully slow.

heckfu

Banned
Farooq said:
It played like garbage to me. I played the beta playlist, I noticed the same exact issues that were vanilla Reach.

I think it is a delusion to think that a mere 15% reduction in bloom would result in different gameplay.

Spammers still beat out out pacers, battles are still roll of the dice, and kill times because of bloom are still painfully slow.

I think you have contradicted yourself. Regardless, I'm with Sai...it plays COMPLETELY different to me.

Sai-kun

Banned
Farooq said:
It played like garbage to me. I played the beta playlist, I noticed the same exact issues that were vanilla Reach.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree. I've gotten fucked over by bloom with the 85%, but far less often than with 100%, and I feel a lot more in control at 85%. I disagree that spammers beat pacers every time, and that 1v1s are RNG'd. *shrug*

Farooq

Banned
heckfu said:
I think you have contradicted yourself. Regardless, I'm with Sai...it plays COMPLETELY different to me.

Spammer beat out pacers, yet it is still a roll of the dice between two people who spam.

Sai-kun said:
We're gonna have to agree to disagree. I've gotten fucked over by bloom with the 85%, but far less often than with 100%, and I feel a lot more in control at 85%. I disagree that spammers beat pacers every time, and that 1v1s are RNG'd. *shrug*

My initial post was a bit hyperbolic. Obviously it does not play the exact same, but close enough that to me the core underlying issues are still there.

Havok

Sai-kun said:
I agree. Zero bloom introduces a host of issues interacting with the ridiculous range of the DMR that 85% ends up balancing very well, from what I've played. The short version is that a ZB DMR would never work on larger maps - Hemorrhage or Timberlands would be a total disaster. They're dealing with the weapons they were dealt, and I think they've done a good job establishing a new baseline.

wwm0nkey

So what are the exact settings for classic slayer, the description sounds close to the custom gametype we did in customs but with a faster shield recharge rate (thank god)

Top Bottom