• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Switched to High preset and then put textures on Ultra. Getting about 70-90 FPS which is fine. 1440p, nvidia 2080, i7 10700k

Flintty

I'm in. Cutscenes looked super washed out but in-game looks fine. Fps counter says 60fps but seems a bit stuttery.
Yeah cinematics are ropey for me bit in game is superb and making great use of my C1.

I love it so far. End of first mission felt like an end OG game piece. Second mission got me in the halo feels. Incredible.

Flintty

Haven't booted it yet but Staten did a recent interview explaining how in the past the games were designed around Heroic difficulty and scaled down for Normal/Easy and up for Legendary but with Infinite they designed the game around Normal and scaled respectively from there. He mentioned Normal is now the "intended" experience where Heroic was in past games.

I'm still going to play on Heroic on my first run though, fuck it. Tradition is important.
I didn’t know this but glad I went heroic. Some fights are a bit tasty but feels about right.

Last edited:

Unity2012

Once I reached the open area... Wow, this is amazing. I waited bout 12mns to see the time change; it is awesome. Loving every minute.

I'm playing on a series S and an Odyssey g5. The game looks beautiful. This is Halo; it feels like Halo. I hope everyone is having a great time.

BigLee74

I love grappling the grunts
Well, I certainly read that wrong to start with 😂😂

Gave in and remapped grapple to RB. It’s too important to have to take your thumbs off the sticks.

So bumper jumper, grapple on RB, melee on B, reload on X. It’s taking some getting used to, but I’ll persevere. Should help me in MP.

It will totally fuck up my ability to play MCC now, but thems the sacrifices!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just started this on pc gamepass.
Runs good with 3080. 4k, maxed out 80+fps in the first junkyard chapter.
The intro is great. I like how the pilot character looks.

1 issue. The banding is pretty bad. You can see stepped gradient around reticle in the dark.
The game don't feel as smooth as if it was running 80fps. Mouse feels pretty jerky.
It might be the lack of any motion blur... which is very weird. I think some motion blur/shutter speed is a must. 80fps is not enough to not include it... not for me.

Phase

I just started this on pc gamepass.
Runs good with 3080. 4k, maxed out 80+fps in the first junkyard chapter.
The intro is great. I like how the pilot character looks.

1 issue. The banding is pretty bad. You can see stepped gradient around reticle in the dark.
The game don't feel as smooth as if it was running 80fps. Mouse feels pretty jerky.
It might be the lack of any motion blur... which is very weird. I think some motion blur/shutter speed is a must. 80fps is not enough to not include it... not for me.
It's weird. It's like everything is kind of jittery. I'm also on pc gamepass. I tried turning vsync on but that did nothing. I think I'll add some motion blur like you suggested.

Last edited:

Sygma

Runs between 60 and 70 fps with everything on ultra @ 1440p in the open world (2080ti), including the pretty large skirmishes happening at times.

And honestly given how bad it looks (even using HQ textures), especially at distance its pretty puzzling. Got zero stuttering to report whatsoever on a 12600k / sata 3 ssd / ddr 4 4400

Also the enemy AI is horrendous holy shit

edit : hdr is awesome tho

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Runs between 60 and 70 fps with everything on ultra @ 1440p in the open world (2080ti), including the pretty large skirmishes happening at times.

And honestly given how bad it looks (even using HQ textures), especially at distance its pretty puzzling. Got zero stuttering to report whatsoever on a 12600k / sata 3 ssd / ddr 4 4400

Also the enemy AI is horrendous holy shit

edit : hdr is awesome tho
Is there a texture pack on consoles too?

the_master

I played very little to have an opinion (and I am a massive Halo fan and fanatic) but I am feeling that the grapple hook, being a lot of fun, detracts from the rest.
It makes the environment almost meaningless, makes some vehicles useless (most of them) and makes the scale feel smaller and the sense of discovery, smaller.

But, I have not played nearly enough to have a proper opinion

Shtef

Its really fun, i was supposed to go to bed 3 hours ago, couldn’t stop playing.
Btw audio on 5.1 surround is awesome.

This fucking game right now.... omg. Just stepping out into the open world type section for the first time just felt so damn good. It feels so good, I have so many options. The fights just feel perfect. This was how Halo should have always been.

Kev Kev

Is anyone actually enjoying the game or are we just gonna talk about graphics? Lol

Im a few hours into the campaign, at the point now where I have an FOB and I can finally tackle the open world. And man, all I got to say about this campaign so far is…

eating-a-burger-after-3-months-of-diet-oh-may-daum-Daym-Drops-5-guys-review.gif

I played very little to have an opinion (and I am a massive Halo fan and fanatic) but I am feeling that the grapple hook, being a lot of fun, detracts from the rest.
It makes the environment almost meaningless, makes some vehicles useless (most of them) and makes the scale feel smaller and the sense of discovery, smaller.

It's a sandbox, that is your most powerful new sandbox tool. I'm not getting that vibe so far about the grapple, and I just plain take things in when I can. Don't use it when I don't need to, but when I do, it allows me to discover some interesting things. Without the grapple I would have never discovered a cool little forerunner cave section that I located. I'm going to make certain to take the time to utilize every tool at my disposal because that's what makes the sandbox as fun as humanely possible. The grapple is crucial in it gives you a chance to evaluate how the fight is going, and what you may need to change in your approach. Just so good.

It's large enough. Sometimes too big isn't always better. And that can be utilized for the future of where they take the game. So long as the space we have they utilize well to tell a solid, tight narrative.

rapid32.5

No save and quit option during level ? I just lost 30 mins of my progress. It saved during my playthrough but when I quit it didn't.

Last edited:
It's large enough. Sometimes too big isn't always better. And that can be utilized for the future of where they take the game. So long as the space we have they utilize well to tell a solid, tight narrative.
Good point. I stopped playing Witcher III after the initial map opens to the bigger map. Beside the ass console controls I just didn't want that much to do, felt repetitive at that point.

TaroYamada

OK now I have installed everything and it shows Gaming Services when I try to play it with no option to update or install. The state of game pass on PC is completely unacceptable. It's been five hours since launch.

Does anyone else notice how in performance mode the cutscene animations (most notably the facial animations) are still in 30 fps?
Guess they just mocapped it at 30 and then didn't do any cleanup or hook it up to any middleware to take care of lipsynch at any other framerate...kinda disappointing.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
I got stupidly paranoid of using the grapple right at the beginning of the game and tried my damndest not to use it because they put a 1 next to it and I thought it was one time use like multiplayer….then I found out it refills itself after 5 minutes of trying to figure a way across an impossible jump. 🤣

Last edited:

Desless1

Yes, this is absolutely amazing. Having a blast, have three FOBs, lots of exploring and getting armor caches and other collectibles.

Using the grapple non-stop with melee sooooo much fun.

To me, this feel like old school Halo gameplay with 2021 finesse and add-ons. Top notch.

sainraja

Just played the beginning portion of the campaign and I am enjoying it more than I thought I would — the differences from other FPS games are in a way refreshing which was something I thought would take getting used to. For some reason I didn't feel this way when playing the multiplayer but in campaign mode it is refreshing. So far so good!

EDIT
The only complaint I have so far (I will get used to it and I know we can re-map buttons, but I try to stick to defaults) is that the grapple hook is mapped to the RB button when it should be LB given that's where it [the grapple hook) comes off of the character. Kind of a weird design choice if you ask me for it being the default. I can understand it given it's probably used for grenade throws in previous Halos/most games.

Last edited:
Slight spoiler at the beginning of the game:

How the hell did Atriox die? I was hoping he would be the main villain since he carried over from HW2 and the badass cutscene in the beginning.

Flintty

How the hell did Atriox die? I was hoping he would be the main villain since he carried over from HW2 and the badass cutscene in the beginning.
I dont think he’s dead. They can’t create such beef between him and Chief and then have him die off screen. Nobody has ever kicked Chief’s arse that he’s. Gotta be something big coming.

Sygma

Nah it gives so much verticality to the actual usage of the environment, especially outside that I can't think of anything bad about it

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member

You’re likely asking for another spoiler as an answer. It would have happened when the Chief is out cold, so the player isn’t supposed to know yet. It’s not explained in the stuff outside the game so you’re not missing anything if that’s what you’re worried about.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

Grappling an enemy and lunging towards them with a sword never gets old. Also love how effective it is with taking out jackal shields.

LordOfChaos

So the PC Xbox app and Xcloud/Game Pass Ultimate are still hot doodoo huh

Click install, install all, nothing happens. No visible verification of downloading at all. Eventually after moving on to other things, there's two downloads. Halo Infinite campaign and Season 1 multiplayer. Don't want the MP to download first so I pause that. Campaign install goes away??

Try Cloud streaming...Unplayable for an FPS at least where I am. Close it out, cancel all downloads, try again. This game is not available to stream in your location, which it just did...

Ughh.

I’ve only played part of the first section (stupid busy schedule) but really good so far.

If they can deliver a couple of campaign content drops each year this could be the future… No more waiting years for the next instalment. If it works out that way, I definitely approve.

Top Bottom