• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Madness

How embarrassing for IGN though. Even a lot of amateur casters can now stream at 60FPS. What's the point of hyping up the 60fps gameplay if we can't see it because of the stream in a sense?

TheXbox

Everytime they pull up the tweet reccomendation I see the Liverpool game is trending
biblethump.png
I can't even be amused after City's fiasco in Moscow.
jk I totally can fuck lolerpool

Wish I wasn't stuck on campus all day. I want some of this Halo juice in my veins. :(

It had its moments. Personally, I'm of the (probably terrible) opinion that once you strip away all the extraneous bullshit, you're left with a surprisingly solid Halo game, albeit one with an extremely small selection of good maps.

That was the problem: there was no stripping away of the extraneous stuff. It was baked into the core of the game. It's too bad- because, as many have noted, there was a really good Halo game buried in there, just waiting to get out...

jem0208

Max: "Just look at these Halo 2 maps, they are so clean, no distractions."

CAN WE GET AN AMEN IN HERE?

Halo 5 needs crystal clear maps IMO. =)

The Halo 5 version of Midship looks pretty nice, the other map they showed was quite a lot more cluttered. However the colour palette used makes it seem like picking out targets will still be very easy.

That was the problem: there was no stripping away of the extraneous stuff. It was baked into the core of the game. It's too bad- because, as many have noted, there was a really good Halo game buried in there, just waiting to get out...

Legendary slayer?

Crazy good stream. Well curated, and the interviews were a great insight. Plus, dat Twitch view count. Jesus.

Yeah, it was really nice seeing Ryan asking some contentious questiong. What did it hit?

That was my point.

That's basically my opinion. It had obvious problems, however I never thought those problems affected the game enough to make it bad. Just not as good as the others (still far better than Reach though)

How was 4 far better than Reach? Halo 4 was barely able to sustain a population over 100k after barely a few months.

Max is the hope for Halo.

"See how clean these older maps are visually?"

YURRRSSSS
We'll see if the Halo 5 Beta has busy maps, awkward geometry, waypoints up the wazoo, large, bold text everywhere, etc.

They can say that all they want, but when they continue to produce otherwise (H2A, for example).. Max is awesome, don't get me wrong, but Halo 5 will tell us how serious they are about the future of this franchise.
How embarrassing for IGN though. Even a lot of amateur casters can now stream at 60FPS. What's the point of hyping up the 60fps gameplay if we can't see it because of the stream in a sense?
It really is embarrassing.

Isn't that almost exactly what Legendary Slayer is?

How was 4 far better than Reach? Halo 4 was barely able to sustain a population over 100k after barely a few months.

Yes, because playercount is the arbiter of both opinions, and quality.

Madness

God I love the music, I don't even care. I always complained about the menu music of Halo 4, but damn do I love classic Halo music, including monks. It was such a letdown on Halo 4 launch night turning the game on and hearing that wailing Halo 4 music.

Whether it's dated, whether it's old, I'll leave that to the music guys, but I'd rather have remixed and updated classic Halo music, than something entirely new. The monks should always be in every game though.

VinFTW

Despite small annoyances, this is the greatest package I'll ever buy, IMO.

My hype hasn't been this high for a game since Halo 3.

Can't wait to fuck shit up with you guys.

Hopefully they upload a 60FPS version of the stream.

what was it? I was too buy mocking Mertz...
Stinklesss! <3

It was over 5k+ I believe. No where near the 30k MCC tourney though :p

jem0208

They messed with the basic Halo gameplay with bloom and I didn't like it.

The thing about 4 was that in the heat of a BR battle, it felt just like Halo. The movement and shooting felt really good. I just didn't feel that with Reach.

Movement speed was also too slow in Reach, and sprint was locked behind a loadout.

I still really enjoyed Reach, just not as much as 4 and the other Halos.

Do we know anything about the intactness of super bounces and button combos?

TL;DR: Button combos yes, super bounces no.

Slightly longer answer: Super bounces were due to problems with the Havok physics engine I believe. And that was affected by what the resolution was. So being at 1080p means the super bounces will be broken. They may potentially be found in other areas of the map though.

Mix

The stream was good, All the Halo 2 and CE looked great, I missed any Halo 3 if they showed it, I came in at the last like 30 minutes, and Halo 4's lighting and jaggylessness was insane. I'm really looking forward to the campaign.

Frankie, can you tell us if the sound is still a little wonky in Halo 4's campaign? Not bad, necessarily, but a bit off.

BigShow36

nope. Button combos should theoretically work, but resolution changes may have wacked out super bounce spots.

What about for Halo CE? We all thought they would remain intact but since it appears that it's now based on the Halo PC code, they may be gone.

jem0208

I thought they stated that they want to keep the majority of the glitches from all games.

They did, button combos are still in.

However the super bounces were something they couldn't possibly keep in unless they were to actually code them in or have the game render at the original resolution. Changes to resolution screw them over.

RoKKeR

The stream was good, All the Halo 2 and CE looked great, I missed any Halo 3 if they showed it, I came in at the last like 30 minutes, and Halo 4's lighting and jaggylessness was insane. I'm really looking forward to the campaign.

Frankie, can you tell us if the sound is still a little wonky in Halo 4's campaign? Not bad, necessarily, but a bit off.

I'm wondering about this as well. I remember the sound in the Halo 4 cutscenes was compressed to hell and back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv9OnjUpPNI

the stream is still going so you can go back and find it beneath the load of halo 2 requests.

dwells

What about for Halo CE? We all thought they would remain intact but since it appears that it's now based on the Halo PC code, they may be gone.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just get a straight answer on what versions the ports are based off so we wouldn't be stuck speculating after the game has gone gold?

Can you no longer customize armor completely? From the stream, it looked like you can't customize helmet, shoulder, chest, etc. separately anymore.

Fathead

Hah, I'll take that.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who actually liked 4's multiplayer on here...

The multiplayer may have gotten better but I gave up on it pretty quick. I enjoyed the game and some of Spartan Ops (emphasis on some), so I wasnt as dissappointed as some. The multiplayer dissatisfaction did keep me from buying any dlc Though.

Overall I liked Halo 4. Just not as much as games before it.

Isn't that almost exactly what Legendary Slayer is?

Yes, because playercount is the arbiter of both opinions, and quality.
Uh yeah it is, Halo 4 is a bad Halo game, and the population count is a leading indicator on how bad it was. And when the MCC comes out, for sure 4 will have the lowest population count.

Mix

Just over 100 votes and it looks like Halo Never Died is in the lead.

1. Halo Never Died, It Was Just Missing In Action
38 votes (37%)
2. 106 maps. 4 games. 1 Chief.
31 votes (30%)
3. Stinkles Knows What the Gaffers Like
13 votes (13%)
4. It' Been An Honor Serving With You, John.
12 votes (12%)
5. Unseal the Hushed Casket
4 votes (4%)
6. I Thought I Told You To Wear Something Nice
4 votes (4%)
102 total votes
Don't forget there's definitely still time to vote! I'll be calling it good on Sunday night at midnight CST. After that, it's final, title will be revealed that monday!

Just over 100 votes and it looks like Halo Never Died is in the lead.
If the "4 games" one wins, that would suck and minimize the content we're getting with H2A. I've said this before, but we're essentially getting 5 games as H2A is providing more content than many $60 games we buy these days.

Do you want to make this package seem less, Mix? You wouldn't want to do that.. Frankie is watching.

VinFTW

If the "4 games" one wins, that would suck and minimize the content we're getting with H2A. I've said this before, but we're essentially getting 5 games as H2A is providing more content than many $60 games we buy these days.

Do you want to make this package seem less, Mix? You wouldn't want to do that.. Frankie is watching.

Dis is why you da best.

Mix

Hell, I still see it as way more than 5 games. you get the five, (HCEA, H2, H2A, H3, H4) but you also get the Halo 5 beta and Nightfall. I'm not the biggest fan of the title but of the 50+ suggestions I got, these were the ones I wanted it to be.

Mix

Thinking about it, I'll either let it get to a number of votes I'm happy with or cut it off on Sunday. I think 150-200 votes or Sunday night, which ever comes first.

Currently at 109.

RoKKeR

A look at spartan/elite customization:

Very solid for the most part. Seems like it's not quite final as one of the guys said they were patching in Elite armor set names in tonight, but overall I think it looks good. I understand the decision to only allow armor sets as it was probably too much work to include the full suite of customization for 3 and 4 along with everything else that's in the package.

I would like to see the colors you pick actually show up on the models, though... sort of odd that they are all black. Maybe a WIP thing.

A look at spartan/elite customization:

Very solid for the most part. Seems like it's not quite final as one of the guys said they were patching in Elite armor set names in tonight, but overall I think it looks good. I understand the decision to only allow armor sets as it was probably too much work to include the full suite of customization for 3 and 4 along with everything else that's in the package.

I would like to see the colors you pick actually show up on the models, though... sort of odd that they are all black. Maybe a WIP thing.

I'm not okay with only including armor sets. And I don't see how it could work. What about Katana and the Bungie chest? Those wouldn't work with just armor sets. Unless they just removed them. Can Stinkles explain?

Top Bottom