• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

RoKKeR

I'm not okay with only including armor sets. And I don't see how it could work. What about Katana and the Bungie chest? Those wouldn't work with just armor sets. Unless they just removed them. Can Stinkles explain?

Mm yeah, very true. Who knows how it works for Halo 3 but it looked like sets for Halo 4 and H2A

Mm yeah, very true. Who knows how it works for Halo 3 but it looked like sets for Halo 4 and H2A

For H2A it makes a certain amount of sense. However, for 4 I just remembered things like visor color. How would that work? Didn't 343i say they didn't take anything out?

I think we can agree with Stinkles on the whole "download after purchasing physical disc"...Seeing that UI and how smooth and quick it was, being able to bring a WHOLE party to another game in customs, switch to campaign in an instant, hearing the music queues change depending on the game... That's so darn impressive and making it 2 disks would be far more upsetting than the initial pain of downloading more content when you get home.

Not trying to resurrect a tired and ugly debate, but I think seeing it in action like this was a testament to the unified UI's value.

nope. Button combos should theoretically work, but resolution changes may have wacked out super bounce spots.

They are in, but super bounces might be different due to resolution changes.

They messed with the basic Halo gameplay with bloom and I didn't like it.

The thing about 4 was that in the heat of a BR battle, it felt just like Halo. The movement and shooting felt really good. I just didn't feel that with Reach.

Movement speed was also too slow in Reach, and sprint was locked behind a loadout.

I still really enjoyed Reach, just not as much as 4 and the other Halos.

TL;DR: Button combos yes, super bounces no.

Slightly longer answer: Super bounces were due to problems with the Havok physics engine I believe. And that was affected by what the resolution was. So being at 1080p means the super bounces will be broken. They may potentially be found in other areas of the map though.

Hmmm, my brother won't be too happy if super bounces are gone or different but I'm fine with it. Thanks for the responses.

RoKKeR

I think we can agree with Stinkles on the whole "download after purchasing physical disc"...Seeing that UI and how smooth and quick it was, being able to bring a WHOLE party to another game in customs, switch to campaign in an instant, hearing the music queues change depending on the game... That's so darn impressive and making it 2 disks would be far more upsetting than the initial pain of downloading more content when you get home.

Not trying to resurrect a tired and ugly debate, but I think seeing it in action like this was a testament to the unified UI's value.
Agreed with this.

Also confirms my decision to go digital. Can just load it up absolutely whenever I want, going to be great.

woodland

"We saw some of the old halo stuff and it's just iconic. Y'know, blue skies, green grass, brighter, etc. We wanted to do something different."

Story of H4's life.

TheXbox

The lack of sword fly is the greatest sin. They added those awesome speed run leaderboards but without speed flies they're worth fuck all in Halo 2.

You can have a unified UI and use two discs without switching (after the initial install). Look at Halo 4. I don't really care though since I bought it digitally.

Also, predefined armor sets for H3/4 isn't cool.

Actually, the 20GB patch is just the rest of the medals.

dd119.jpg

Mix

OMG that Outskirts Blur cutscene looks so so good.

It's ridiculous. The color and the business on screen, it felt much more like a battlefield than anything Halo 2 would've been able to pull of in 2004. I cannot wait to see The Heretic.

Starkster

Neo Member
You can have a unified UI and use two discs without switching (after the first time). Look at Halo 4. I don't really care though since I bought it digitally.

I don't want predefined. Customisation is there for a reason! To be different and to be custom. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy.

For almost a decade now. It's only available on non-updated Halo 2.

They could leave it in for the campaign though, don't see the harm there.

Nope, it affects the whole game. But like I said, they could have non-patched for campaign and patched for MP.

Bungie removed it in the 1.1 patch IIRC, but that was only for MP.
Didnt realize that it was completely patched out. Campaign speedruns will never be the same.

You can have a unified UI and use two discs without switching (after the initial install). Look at Halo 4. I don't really care though since I bought it digitally.

I mean.. I'm not going to agree with that until developers can confirm that. To my knowledge there isn't a single game on the Xbox One with 2 discs. I am in the computer programming/web development/IT side of things in my current job and often people from the outside will just say, "Well why don't you just _______?" It's rarely ever that easy to just _______ in the development world.

*shrug*

Seeing everything together is just immensely satisfying. Halo 2's connection looked super solid. I think I will spend most of my time in Halo 1 and 2.

I mean.. I'm not going to agree with that until developers can confirm that. To my knowledge there isn't a single game on the Xbox One with 2 discs. I am in the computer programming/web development/IT side of things in my current job and often people from the outside will just say, "Well why don't you just _______?" It's rarely ever that easy to just _______ in the development world.

*shrug*

Seeing everything together is just immensely satisfying. Halo 2's connection looked super solid. I think I will spend most of my time in Halo 1 and 2.

Dude, really? You literally just put the same content that's in the 20GB on the disc and point the install program to grab from that source. This is pretty basic shit.

It's ridiculous. The color and the business on screen, it felt much more like a battlefield than anything Halo 2 would've been able to pull of in 2004. I cannot wait to see The Heretic.

You know, I thought the transition between pre-rendered cutscenes and gameplay graphics would be horribly jarring. It looks like Blur/343 did a good job of the art styles being consistent enough to not really have that problem.

I'm curious to see what the in-game sgt. Johnson looks like.

Dude, really? You literally just put the same content that's in the 20GB on the disc and point the install program to grab from that source. This is pretty basic shit.

I suppose man, but I just can't bring myself to assume that. But like I said earlier I don't want to resurrect this discussion in any negative way. There just had to be a reason for it. These devs are obviously very talented. If it's so easy as you say, then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have done it that way. Perhaps costs and resources. We don't know. Either way, it seems wrong to just point the finger at the devs.

I just want to emphasize how awesome the look of the UI is and how fast and smooth it is. Sorry for digging that back up, perhaps wrongly so. Was just referring to the quote from Stinkles.

Mix

You know, I thought the transition between pre-rendered cutscenes and gameplay graphics would be horribly jarring. It looks like Blur/343 did a good job of the art styles being consistent enough to not really have that problem.

I'm curious to see what the in-game sgt. Johnson looks like.

Yup, same. I've been wanting to see Johnson for a while now.

I suppose man, but I just can't bring myself to assume that. But like I said earlier I don't want to resurrect this discussion in any negative way. There just had to be a reason for it. These devs are obviously very talented. If it's so easy as you say, then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have done it that way. Perhaps costs and resources. We don't know. Either way, it seems wrong to just point the finger at the devs.

This is essentially the only logical reason. Either it was too late to plan on printing 2 discs or MS/Xbox/whoever didn't wan't to spend the extra 50 cents or whatever to cover another disc.

15 years+ of experience tells me this.

Actually, now that I think of it, knowing Microsoft, this could be another ass-backwards design fuck up for the Xbox One. There's already a few dozen, most of which are still present, so who the fuck knows.

jem0208

This is essentially the only logical reason. Either it was too late to plan on printing 2 discs or MS/Xbox/whoever didn't wan't to spend the extra 50 cents or whatever to cover another disc.

15 years+ of experience tells me this.

Actually, now that I think of it, knowing Microsoft, this could be another ass-backwards design fuck up for the Xbox One. There's already a few dozen, most of which are still present, so who the fuck knows.

I think it's most likely a combination of the X1 os needing some work and that they are still working on the content.

I mean they were talking about adding in stuff in the steam.

Slightly bummed customization is only for full armor sets and not pieces, but it's a small price to pay for my Gungnir.

That H2A armor is interesting. Wonder what they're officially called?

Welfare

Seeing as Titanfall is getting a population counter tomorrow, I need to know. Is there a population counter in MCC?

danwarb

I wonder if dropped weapons will still vanish after a few seconds in the Halo 4 campaign now that there's a load more RAM in the XBone?

Fuchsdh

I know they want you to know who is behind the armor but the ODST helmets looks odd with those "Prometheus" helmets why dont use the VISR system instead.

Pics? Also I still remember the random sniper shot on my spartan.

I miss the visors too, but it occurred to me the reason for not keeping the polarizing effect might be pretty simple: video games ≠ real life.

If there's no light source inside that helmet, then you've got a big hunk of prop blocking light from reaching the actor's face, especially if due to shot composition you can't just stick a fill light close to them.

I can't think of a single sci-fi show off the top of my head that didn't stick lights inside the helmets--Star Trek: First Contact, Prometheus, Gravity...

I wonder if dropped weapons will still vanish after a few seconds in the Halo 4 campaign now that there's a load more RAM in the XBone?

They said that the issue wasn't RAM, but compensating for the original Halo 4 Infinity experience... but I'm not sure if that answer was only in relation to the multiplayer side (both the question and answer at the PAX panel were not specific on that point.) But I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Top Bottom