• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Deception

I like LoTR but I love the Arkham series and this game looks like a perfect mix of Arkham and AC. I also am intrigued in SO but not sure on the content past the first play through whereas SoM looks like I can easily sink 40+ hours into it.

Decisions...decisions...........

Obscured

Just realized I never posted this here. This is how me and a couple other GAFfers feel about Destiny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_U1HVyMDM

Also, dat OST is keeping my hype at the point of no return.

I only listened to about half. It's interesting, but if you guys had that same discussion in posts it could have come off sounding(reading) toxic and harsh, but the discussion is very even handed and fair. I have a lot of the same thoughts, but I enjoy the game despite them.

I'm hoping I can find some people to play with once MCC is out. Even with a large friend's list it is tough to get groups together.

I actually hope they try some different things with Halo 5. For me, now that MCC will be there, they have some room to try things out, just keep enough custom options.

VinFTW

I like LoTR but I love the Arkham series and this game looks like a perfect mix of Arkham and AC. I also am intrigued in SO but not sure on the content past the first play through whereas SoM looks like I can easily sink 40+ hours into it.

Decisions...decisions...........

I LOVED SoM, but I can't see myself playing it for much longer outside of the 15-ish hours it took me to beat the story. Maybe I'll mess with the nemesis system more but the controls sort of frustrate me from time to time.

It was a fantastic game, I loved it, but it has its flaws, and I don't quite think its the 90+ people tout it to be.

I'd give it a B+ for sure.

IMO, Sunset Overdrive, but I LOVE Insomniac :p

I only listened to about half. It's interesting, but if you guys had that same discussion in posts it could have come off sounding(reading) toxic and harsh, but the discussion is very even handed and fair. I have a lot of the same thoughts, but I enjoy the game despite them.

Thanks for the criticism. Good point about stuff not translating well in text. Future episodes will likely be shorter and maybe a little better structured, but we just really wanted to get these points out there because we're frustrated Bungle fans. The game can still be fun, but I think all of us came to the conclusion that there are better ones to spend our time on, especially in the next month.

I almost fell asleep during the recording. Babby needs sleep, next time do it earlier. I don't have nuclear energy like wife.

It was kind of a "let's do this shit" moment. Next time will be during normal human hours.

You have Smash 4?
Yeah, 0748-4101-9990 if you want to play some time.
Buy a new one.

Otherwise you're missing out on pulling that sweet, sweet plastic off all the shiny surfaces.

hnnngggggg
Alternatively, he can pull off that thick layer of grime since it'll likely be a dirty, used bone.
Bayonetta 2 and the MCC
Nice you reminded me about the Bayonetta 2 demo. I'll be buying it eventually when I have more time to play it. I love that they're giving you the first game since I held off on that too, so it worked out ;b

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Alternatively, he can pull off that thick layer of grime since it'll likely be a dirty, used bone.

Nothing quite like a good stiff layer of semen.

I'd say get Shadow of Mordor if you're a LotR fan.

I'm not really into it so I'm getting Sunset Overdrive.

why do you hate the beautiful avatars I made you??

Ordered mine from there a while back due to the $10 back. Hopefully it'll credit me through Rewards as well, I dunno--also hoping that the "get it on release day if ordered by" guarantee covers my order as well.

Hopefully they credit. If anything open up a ticket with support and see if they will help you.
I'm waiting a couple of days before pre-ordering just to make sure I don't have to deal with that hassle.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Feedback on the soundtrack samples:

Halo Theme Gungnir Mix

Most of what we got here is both faithful and familiar. The biggest difference is the texture. It's a bit thicker, a bit sharper. The tone quality of the electric guitar is harsh, and the brass punches a little hard. The balance is right though, and the voices still come through properly. The toughest part is not knowing it so well that you can sing along like you feel like you should be able to. There's a little less melodic representation, but it works. It gets a pass from me.

Second Prelude

You can already notice a stylistic trend when putting this next to the first track. The brass in particular is darker and wider, and gives otherwise recognizable music a slightly different emotional quality. It's slightly more dreadful than it is heroic now, with a solid and clear bass and a less pronounced high end which lines up more with where Halo 4's story has taken us.

Breaking the Covenant

Uh.... it is what it is... I guess. I'll shoot some aliens to this, sure.

Impart

Once again, the deeper, clearer, darker trend shows itself. I would describe it as heavy. The weight to this probably gives a good context for what's happening in the game, as long as the fuller bass and percussion don't occupy so much of the sound space that it feels overwhelming, with the new weapon sound effects also being particularly more bassy.

Kilindini Harbour

This one I have issues with. One of the things that made me love this piece so much is the amount of motion it carries through all the instruments. For this clip at least, all of the movement happening in the strings is completely overshadowed by the timpani and brass. What you end up hearing for the majority of the clip is the bow noise rather than the actual notes. The intrigue of that frantic voice is drowned out, and even though it gets to restate its presence in the following section, it should be there consistently, rather than only when the horns step aside. Listen to the original. There's a line that wants to be heard, and there's plenty of room for it. Don't let it get swallowed up by all the other instruments.

Unforgotten Memories

Obviously the best executed of the bunch. The piano is well mic'd, I love being able to really hear what the player is doing physically, and I try to bring that out myself when working with piano libraries. The orchestra is balanced and retains the properties of the original.

Overall I'd say it's a great update to a beloved set of work, with a few changes in direction and tone that better match 343's general style, and just needs a little more tweaking.

Halo CE multi and campaign tomorrow. From Ryan Mccafrey's twitter.

awrXrwD_460sa.gif

Madness

Halo CE multi and campaign tomorrow. From Ryan Mccafrey's twitter.

Oh damn, this could make or break a lot of the diehard CE fans' purchase. Can't wait to see. Hopefully it is in depth and meaningful gameplay. Not just a few snippets here and there. We're less than 4 weeks to launch, it's time we saw full and most likely final gameplay.

Fotos

why do you hate the beautiful avatars I made you??.

lol thank you but I was going to take the avatar you made me and put it into photoshop to make the helmet black but the visor gold. I was going to thank you after I finished but I'm
totally legally
downloading photoshop right now and it's taking a while.

Also, what is that picture on the avatar you made's chest?

Mix

Work on the OT is coming along really well. I'm almost bummed out I have to wait until the week before to put it out.

Ramirez

Did you play it at PAX? 23.97fps. Might get an Oscar for best art though.

Those latest gameplay vids made it look so boring. Slow grinding, pop in, auto aim out the ass, etc. etc.

But, I've never been a huge Insomniac fan, so I don't know what I was thinking.

Obscured

<3

I almost fell asleep during the recording. Babby needs sleep, next time do it earlier. I don't have nuclear energy like wife.

Baby stuff made it better! Actually you all sounded engaged and came off well I thought, you were able to express your points clearly.

Thanks for the criticism. Good point about stuff not translating well in text. Future episodes will likely be shorter and maybe a little better structured, but we just really wanted to get these points out there because we're frustrated Bungle fans. The game can still be fun, but I think all of us came to the conclusion that there are better ones to spend our time on, especially in the next month.

It was kind of a "let's do this shit" moment. Next time will be during normal human hours.

That is the way to do that stuff, it is the only way it happens. Yeah length is tough, but even the part I listened to felt fast. Even though you didn't have the structure nailed yet you guys did a good job bringing it back to topic even when you really really wanted to veer off.

Regarding tone, I think it something that is often forgotten about and comes across so much better in video and podcasts. As toxic and unwelcoming as this place can sometimes seem, it is also one of the best places to find the nice and cool people to game with.

As much to do with what Tootsi said as anything else.

Look, I have a thick skin. In some ways, I used to get paid to have a thick skin, but the title literally said, "Your game is bad," and ostensibly said, "people who like it aren't welcome here." It set the tone for the whole conversation. The edited title is STILL SNARKY but at least obscure enough that most people won't get it.

The gaming side is a cesspit of endless negativity right now. Which is why I come to Community and OT.

Gaf prospered and became a great place for conversation firstly because of great moderation, in every sense of that word. Secondly, that clean, well lighted place became attractive to devs and other folks from the game industry and that increased the richness of the conversations.

But over the years - and I know some of you guys have noticed this - the grinding, endless repetition of attacks and rudeness just finally became too much for a LOT of devs who no longer visit at all. It's to them, not worth the hassle.

For all I know they've been replaced by new devs, but I don't see a lot of the old names and it's because of tone. Gaf can probably survive and prosper without them, and it should be allowed to evolve into whatever it's gonna evolve into, and god knows it doesn't need to be some rainbow-world of happy adulation or dev-worship.

But I come to this thread for fun conversations with friends. Imagine you went to a forum and saw the title read, "OT 8: Your Mom is Fat and Your Work is Useless"

Why would or should you condone that with your input?

Did I get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? Nope. I think I'm making a reasonable point.

Is it OK to criticize Halo 4 in here? LOL, if criticism of Halo 4 was what is annoying me, kindly explain my last thousand posts in here...

Thank you for this. I hope the devs and other industry folks that still post here (and on gaming side) can wade through the seas of shitty attitudes and continue to foster converstations with their audience and their friends, because it IS what makes GAF worthwhile.

It took me years of lurking before I attempted to join GAF, and another 6 months to get my acount approved. I posted, mostly in gaming side, for a year before I got my first temp ban for 'thread whining' a couple weeks ago. I didn't realize I was thread whining at the time, but after the ban I PM'd a mod and my transgression was explained to me more fully. You know what? He was right (of course). I was just annoyed with that particular thread's participants dogpiling on a particular game rather than offering productive discussion. But it didn't change the fact that I broke forum rules.

Coming into these forums, whether OT/community/gaming, and shitting all over a developer's hard work just because you don't like what they made, rather than having a constructive discussion on WHY you don't like it, is just going to force the more level-headed people out of the conversations. If that happens, GAF may evolve into the type of forum none of us want to be a part of anymore.

343i took the reigns of a beloved, decade+ long franchise and tried to continue the story while at the same time evolving the game. It was probably a scary fucking thing to do, certainly not something I personally would have wanted to tackle in their shoes. Whether the direction they took with the game suited you or not, there are better ways to go about addressing that than 'kicking them while they're down' by creating thread titles and posts that 'shit where we eat'.

Looking forward to this collection so much Frankie. Thank you, all of you, at 343i for making this possible for long-time fans of the series. It is, without a doubt, the best value I've ever seen in a $60 package in gaming.

Top Bottom