• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Should've just had a microphone array in the console itself for voice commands. That honestly encompasses 90% of the advantages I hear people say of having the Kinect.

$100 add-on for that is just worthless to me.

To each his own.

dwells

In the same way that a custom game option to toggle default Sprint off wouldn't change the fact that all maps were designed with Sprint in mind, while not as big of a deal, if kill cams are how the standard Team Slayer playlist plays, then it will be how the vast majority of the community plays, customs or matchmaking.

Yep. Even with customs, there's no customs browser and the Halo 2 clan functionality is gone, so you can't have a clan as a secondary friends list/means of easily finding customs lobbies to hop into. If you want to just be able to hop into a competitive game, you're stuck with the defaults 343i picks.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'll post XB1 deals here as I find em if you guys actually care. Been looking for one for a friend.

Or just PM me if you're looking.

Fuchsdh

Should've just had a microphone array in the console itself for voice commands. That honestly encompasses 90% of the advantages I hear people say of having the Kinect.

To each his own.

For me, it's worth the $75 I spent on eBay for one, based entirely on what I've used it for in my brother's console.

Especially since the price of the XB is coming down so much otherwise.

dwells

I'll post XB1 deals here as I find em if you guys actually care. Been looking for one for a friend.

Or just PM me if you're looking.

I imagine it's going to be hard to get a new console cheaper than the $349 Sunset Overdrive bundle. Sell the game code for $30 and you're looking at $319 for a new white Xbone.

Onikaan

They promised us the original ranking system implemented the same way it was in Halo 2, and it's one of the major reasons I'm excited for the game. It better be there.

Also, more killcam. Great.

But you can... turn them off in Custom Games! Isn't choice all that really matters?

I wonder if it's a button prompt to display it because after his first death at 2.40 it was good ol' death cam. Maybe it only shows the k-cam under certain circumstances?

To each his own.

Totally agree. Although I have used the camera for streaming a few times, it's never been worth the £100 extra.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
As an Ascension hater, I think Zenith looks like a definite improvement. The added pathways and jump ups will make the map flow a bit better, I hope.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I imagine it's going to be hard to get a new console cheaper than the $349 Sunset Overdrive bundle. Sell the game code for $30 and you're looking at $319 for a new white Xbone.

Amazon warehouse deals should be selling the same bundle (and more than likely new, too) for sub-300.

Akai__

And for the return of arena shooters, people want something different now.

Also was this posted?

53YdkV9.jpg

OMG!!!

This looks awesome.

jem0208

As an Ascension hater, I think Zenith looks like a definite improvement. The added pathways and jump ups will make the map flow a bit better, I hope.

The cover on the bridge alone is a massive improvement.

Getting pinned down at the banshee spawn was a pain.

Y'all are clamoring for a $350 kinectless bone when you coulda got one with kinect for the same price last spring.

*twinges deal-seeking moustache

Need to find one on $350 here in mexico, via taxes and stuff it inflates to $450 - $500 and normal shopping to like $650

klodeckel

Banned
Do we get Ranking Infos tomorrow?

Right now I am a little bit worried about the online component. The Spartan Rank is exactly the system I did not want to make a return because basically it tells you ... Nothing.

Halo 2 was great later on because it really matters if you win or if you loose a game. There was a competetive vibe in the community. If the skill ranking system is just on second level - man, I know so many people will be super mad about this, myself included.

-Ryn

Banned
You're making me so hungry...
Mmmm... I like these posts...
Jesus Christ, dude, you can't do that to me at work on a Monday morning.
After having just woken up with this to greet me I know now what I have done...

I regret nothing

Don't know if posted yet.

New Gamestop trailer for the MCC.
All those bullet holes would disappear to quickly.

FALSE ADVERTISING

So, while I like my sprint and hit-markers, I've never seen the point of grenade indicators at all. You cannot in my mind helpfully tell me where in 3D space a grenade is around my character by using a 2D icon on my screen.
I think they just look stupid. That is also an issue though.

And it's live...
I thought I heard a Teletubby for a second

Nice job dude

lmao

Are you ready?

My Halo:The Master Chief Collection Live Stream start:

october 29.

My twitch:

twitch.tv/orichalco
I am so very ready. HYPE.

Y'all are clamoring for a $350 kinectless bone when you coulda got one with kinect for the same price last spring.

*twinges deal-seeking moustache
I will be seeking you're aid soon you magnificent mustachioed gentleman.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I thought Amazon Warehouse was used and returned stuff?

In a lot of cases (and especially with recently released stuff), they sell what are called dingers - brand new items with slightly flawed packaging. Like my brand new XB1 came in a box with a small dent in the corner.

My $120 Dream Team 3DS bundle was straight up brand new with no flaws on the box. It's an awesome place.

dwells

In a lot of cases (and especially with recently released stuff), they sell what are called dingers - brand new items with slightly flawed packaging. Like my brand new XB1 came in a box with a small dent in the corner.

My $120 Dream Team 3DS bundle was straight up brand new with no flaws on the box. It's an awesome place.

Wow, good to know - I guess I'll have to start checking it out! Does the standard Amazon return policy apply?

Madness

Wow, good to know - I guess I'll have to start checking it out! Does the standard Amazon return policy apply?
Amazon Warehouse Deals

Get deep discounts on open-box, like-new, refurbished, or used products that are in good condition but do not meet Amazon.com's rigorous standards as "new". Prior to offering an item for sale on Amazon Warehouse Deals, we verify its physical and functional condition. If you are unsatisfied with the product for any reason, you can return it in accordance with Amazon's return policy. For further assistance, please contact Amazon customer service. 

Please note that used products are not covered by the original manufacturer's warranty.

It's actually pretty great to find some amazing deals.

Magwik

Banned
Also if you don't mind used keep an eye out on Cowboom. They have some great deals too. There are people who managed to snag a $150 PS4

iFirez

Don't know if posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGfwEOAYoYY

New Gamestop trailer for the MCC.

This confirms a couple of things for fans of Machinima in Halo.
No more alert/gun raising while walking (like in Halo 4) guns keep lowered even when moving. We're also looking at some sort of Theatre mode in the Halo 2 Anniversary Maps - it hasn't been explicitly talked about from what I can see by 343 but it was kind of a given.

danwarb

You can actually fix that in settings, not sure where though. I have it set up so it only sends an "on" signal when booting up.

It's under power/start-up I think. You can select on/off/toggle for each device. Most newish TVs will accept separate on and off commands.

Mix

Also whoever is doing the MCC OT you can add my GT in there too. Should have an X1 by then

PM it to me along with your Region and timezone. Don't meant to sound like a dick, but I don't have the time to go through everyone's GAF profiles and find it.

Madness

Seriously who asked for killcams? I get a lot of people don't mind them, but were people really dying for almost 12 years of Halo gameplay without killcams? I bet they probably focus tested this stuff.

"Hey kids, would you want the camera to just focus around on your dead body so you can see where your killer went, or view your teammates in action and not be able to do any hang *yawn*, or do you want sweet ass killcams so that you can make sweet ass no scope montages and show all your friends that you're really the best shooter gamer in school?"

Seriously who asked for killcams? I get a lot of people don't mind them, but were people really dying for almost 12 years of Halo gameplay without killcams? I bet they probably focus tested this stuff.

"Hey kids, would you want the camera to just focus around on your dead body so you can see where your killer went, or view your teammates in action and not be able to do any hang *yawn*, or do you want sweet ass killcams so that you can make sweet ass no scope montages and show all your friends that you're really the best shooter gamer in school?"

Aren't they optional? Like, you can hit a button and go straight to the death cam. Nobody bothered in H4, because of the instant respawns, but here it's sort of a non-issue. Hell, it could even be useful, if you didn't see who killed you.

I never watch TV and I can turn on the console by just pressing the home button on the controller, which is already luxuriously lazy enough for me, haha. Now that it's easy to record game clips without Kinect, there's really no big reason to have one.
There was never a big reason to have one.
Having to pick up a controller to use my console is simply unacceptable.

Tawpgun

I don't mind Kill cams if you can turn it off and return to death screen body thing.

I only hope Halo has final kill cams. Those things are a lot of fun, especially if you can hear the reactions of everyone on your team/enemies

Madness

Aren't they optional? Like, you can hit a button and go straight to the death cam. Nobody bothered in H4, because of the instant respawns, but here it's sort of a non-issue. Hell, it could even be useful, if you didn't see who killed you.

The fact it starts is problem enough. What's the point of going back to death cam 1-2 seconds later when the killer may have moved on? The point is to see where they went, what's going on, or look at your teammates from a third person perspective.

It's not a question of turn it off, it's a question of why add it. Halo isn't like Call of Duty. You don't have an issue where some guy in a ghillie suit is prone in some grass 50 feet away with a thermal 50 cal scope. And even then, let's say some guy has 4sk you from 20 feet in front, what does it really tell you? That he saw my head and got me? It's something that affect such a small minority of players who don't know what's going on. It really is pandering to the lowest common denominator. You should always focus on 90 percent of the people, 90 percent of the time. Did 90% of Halo players/fans want killcams? Probably not, just wait till people realize teabagging is officially done because of this too.

Besides, I haven't really seen any confirmation that you can turn them off in matchmaking at all. I wouldn't mind a final kill cam because it will show how the match ended, and there is nothing else to see, but still.

RoKKeR

If we can skip the kill cam and go back to the traditional dead-body screen I will be happy as that is much more useful than seeing how you just got killed IMO.

Also there is some wicked aliasing on the spinning tower in Zenith... wonder if that's final? Super distracting.

Anyways, Coag footage today looked so good.

The fact it starts is problem enough. What's the point of going back to death cam 1-2 seconds later when the killer may have moved on? The point is to see where they went, what's going on, or look at your teammates from a third person perspective.

It's not a question of turn it off, it's a question of why add it. Halo isn't like Call of Duty. You don't have an issue where some guy in a ghillie suit is prone in some grass 50 feet away with a thermal 50 cal scope. And even then, let's say some guy has 4sk you from 20 feet in front, what does it really tell you? That he saw my head and got me? It's something that affect such a small minority of players who don't know what's going on. It really is pandering to the lowest common denominator. You should always focus on 90 percent of the people, 90 percent of the time. Did 90% of Halo players/fans want killcams? Probably not, just wait till people realize teabagging is officially done because of this too.

Besides, I haven't really seen any confirmation that you can turn them off in matchmaking at all. I wouldn't kind a final kill cam because it will show how the match ended, and there is nothing else to see, but still.

If some people want it, and it doesn't actually hurt the people who don't, why not include it? I mean, I know you addressed the whole starting thing, but if you can switch immediately to the death cam, it shouldn't take you 1-2 seconds. So really, why not have it in?

Welfare

If some people want it, and it doesn't actually hurt the people who don't, why not include it? I mean, I know you addressed the whole starting thing, but if you can switch immediately to the death cam, it shouldn't take you 1-2 seconds. So really, why not have it in?

That "Why not?" logic is faulty at best. That just opens the floodgates for more bullshit to be added in Halo.

Madness

I'm going to sound like an ass because I'm assuming, but I'm going to assume there are more people who wouldn't want them then WOULD want them. It's not about "hurting the people" who don't.

And like I said, the fact the killcam starts first, hurts the point of the dead body cam. It's the few seconds after that really matters. Likewise, why wouldn't killcam be toggleable then? Certainly more options don't harm a player. Why do I really need it to play at all?

That "Why not?" logic is faulty at best. That just opens the floodgates for more bullshit to be added in Halo.

What's faulty with it? Honestly, I'm curious. If it doesn't harm the experience, and it benefits some, what's the rationale against besides "not Halo?" Everything else, from Sprint to Loadouts, has a clear, detrimental effect on the game.

Also, "that's not how it's been done before" isn't really a valid rationale either. So there's that.

I'm going to sound like an ass because I'm assuming, but I'm going to assume there are more people who wouldn't want them then WOULD want them. It's not about "hurting the people" who don't.

And like I said, the fact the killcam starts first, hurts the point of the dead body cam. It's the few seconds after that really matters. Likewise, why wouldn't killcam be toggleable then? Certainly more options don't harm a player. Why do I really need it to play at all?

Agreed that a toggle would be the best option of all, but I think you're overestimating the amount of time it takes to switch.

tootsi666

What does HaloGAF think about spectating your teammates while dead? Should it be 3rd person or 1st person camera? I'm leaning towards 1st person because IMO if your teammates can't see it, you shouldn't see it.

Top Bottom