• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Tawpgun

If you can just hit x or whatever after death and skip the kill cam that'd be fine by me. I usually skip kill cams in CoD also just by reflex.

You really wont miss much.

Imo the best way to do it is have the normal death cam and have a prompt saying like, hold A to bring up the kill cam if you're really curious about how that guy managed to kill you.

The fact it starts is problem enough. What's the point of going back to death cam 1-2 seconds later when the killer may have moved on? The point is to see where they went, what's going on, or look at your teammates from a third person perspective.

It's not a question of turn it off, it's a question of why add it. Halo isn't like Call of Duty. You don't have an issue where some guy in a ghillie suit is prone in some grass 50 feet away with a thermal 50 cal scope. And even then, let's say some guy has 4sk you from 20 feet in front, what does it really tell you? That he saw my head and got me? It's something that affect such a small minority of players who don't know what's going on. It really is pandering to the lowest common denominator. You should always focus on 90 percent of the people, 90 percent of the time. Did 90% of Halo players/fans want killcams? Probably not, just wait till people realize teabagging is officially done because of this too.

Besides, I haven't really seen any confirmation that you can turn them off in matchmaking at all. I wouldn't kind a final kill cam because it will show how the match ended, and there is nothing else to see, but still.
Solid post, but I still don't mind them. Personally, I want to see just how many scrubs kill me with BR sweeps because their aiming is poop so they get a 33.3% chance of landing a lucky shot, similar to how Ace won the 1v1 tourney with a BR sweep.

Scrub mentality, etc. Also, it helps ease the pain when trying to call BS on a death, so that could be their reasoning. With deathcams, you die and wind up getting frustrated, but with video proof of how you died (granted it's functional), you're less inclined to build frustration. If anything, you might even see patterns of your mistakes more easily, whereas deathcams leave much to interpretation, resulting in a lot of "BULLSHIT!" calls.

Having both is probably the best choice in all honesty.

Impala26

What's faulty with it? Honestly, I'm curious. If it doesn't harm the experience, and it benefits some, what's the rationale against besides "not Halo?" Everything else, from Sprint to Loadouts, has a clear, detrimental effect on the game.

Also, "that's not how it's been done before" isn't really a valid rationale either. So there's that.

Actually, if there was one thing Halo Reach did perfectly, was Sprint and how when under fire you would barely move faster than normal walking/jogging speed.

Seeing that spartan rank crap makes me cringe. If they don't have visible ranks like Halo 2 I will be extremely disappointed.

Could just be that they've retooled Spartan Ranks into a 1-50 skill system. I'd be okay with that.

Actually, if there was one thing Halo Reach did perfectly, was Sprint and how when under fire you would barely move faster than normal walking/jogging speed.

Eh, still impacts map design negatively (though less so in Reach when it wasn't universal).

Karl2177

What's faulty with it? Honestly, I'm curious. If it doesn't harm the experience, and it benefits some, what's the rationale against besides "not Halo?" Everything else, from Sprint to Loadouts, has a clear, detrimental effect on the game.

Also, "that's not how it's been done before" isn't really a valid rationale either. So there's that.

Agreed that a toggle would be the best option of all, but I think you're overestimating the amount of time it takes to switch.

the-homer-inline4.jpg

Impala26

Except that's an example of how taking everyone's suggestions does harm the experience. Obviously, if including something makes the core product worse, it's better not to include it. But if it doesn't, which is what I'm stipulating, why not have it in?

I.e. Reach propipe imo.

-Ryn

Banned
So what are everyone's thoughts on Bloodlines interactive element (the giant EMP blast from the eye of Sauron)? It'll certainly be a trip for CTF.

-Ryn

Banned
Quick thoughts on kill cams. I don't think them being in as an option (as in you can turn them off in your own options) should even be an issue since it has no real affect on gameplay either. Even with long range kills it wasn't hard to figure out where the guy that shot you was with the regular death cam.

Pretty much. "But it's just not Halo" = no propipe.

I like it. We'll have to wait and see (of course), but I think it could be interesting, especially considering the presence of the Falcon.
You mean the Hornet? Though I really hope the Falcon returns in 5.

Quick thoughts on kill cams. I don't think them being in as an option (as in you can turn them off in your own options) should even be an issue since it has no real affect on gameplay either. Even with long range kills it wasn't hard to figure out where the guy that shot you was with the regular death cam.

You mean the Hornet? Though I really hope the Falcon returns in 5.

Whoops, yeah. Fixed.

And I'd like to see the Falcon return too. Having some air-power-centric maps could be cool as well.

RoKKeR

Alright I need to nitpick a bit here because this has been bothering the hell out of me.

Why, why is not only the killed feed up in the top right corner when it is distracting (not helped by the 2 Dev 11111111 GT's) but it is a gross, plain white that sticks out like a sore thumb? Previously I'm pretty sure the game announcements like "5 minutes remaining" or "Flag Stolen" have been white and up top as they are important and deserve attention. The killfeed is important but it should be extremely subtle and only really noticeable when shit is going down or when you make a point of looking at it.

Here is Halo 4, for reference.

I know this is the most nit-picky thing ever but it's strangely annoying to me. Same thing goes with medal callouts but that's a whole other beast.

Welfare

Pretty much. "But it's just not Halo" = no propipe.

Again, a faulty argument. New weapon ideas such as the Pro Pipe have not been in a Halo game for us to dismiss it yet. Crap like Sprint and loadouts have been in 2 games so far, spanning 4 years. That is plenty to say it's not Halo.

There are also small things like instant respawns and Killcams that also have no place in Halo that don't need to be in a Halo game to begin with as those are exactly how it sounds, and we can already tell it takes away from the game.

Your statement would make more sense if it said "It's a new weapon that has proved itself to be a welcome addition, but because of reasons" = no propipe.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure all the UI stuff is old in that build. Hopefully it looks better in the retail version... Cause yeah, it's pretty bad in some ways.

Alright I need to nitpick a bit here because this has been bothering the hell out of me.

Why, why is not only the killed feed up in the top right corner when it is distracting (not helped by the 2 Dev 11111111 GT's) but it is a gross, plain white that sticks out like a sore thumb? Previously I'm pretty sure the game announcements like "5 minutes remaining" or "Flag Stolen" have been white and up top as they are important and deserve attention. The killfeed is important but it should be extremely subtle and only really noticeable when shit is going down or when you make a point of looking at it.

Here is Halo 4, for reference.

I know this is the most nit-picky thing ever but it's strangely annoying to me. Same thing goes with medal callouts but that's a whole other beast.

First picture is cropped. Not that far out if you take that into account.

Again, a faulty argument. New weapon ideas such as the Pro Pipe have not been in a Halo game for us to dismiss it yet. Crap like Sprint and loadouts have been in 2 games so far, spanning 4 years. That is plenty to say it's not Halo.

There are also small things like instant respawns and Killcams that also have no place in Halo that don't need to be in a Halo game to begin with as those are exactly how it sounds, and we can already tell it takes away from the game.

Your statement would make more sense if it said "It's a new weapon that has proved itself to be a welcome addition, but because of reasons" = no propipe.

Ah, but before Reach, the Propipe had yet to prove itself. If we reject everything simply because it's new, it means that we run the risk of not having another Propipe.

Sprint and Loadouts are bad in and of themselves, probably instant respawns as well. A purely optional killcam, however, isn't hurting anybody, so why not put it in?

Madness

I keep saying why it harms the point of after death cams. Who cares if some small minority wants it and it's not as obnoxious as sprint or ADS? Why even put it in then?

As for pro-pipe, I've always been a firm believer in that what keeps Halo exciting and fresh has always been the weapons, the maps, and the game types. Those three things will always be welcome additions to Halo, and the great thing about it is, if a weapon is shit or overpowered it can be nerfed, buffed, or removed. Maps if they play poorly won't be voted in, and game types are often removed from playlists then if they're poor.

I keep saying why it harms the point of after death cams. Who cares if some small minority wants it and it's not as obnoxious as sprint or ADS? Why even put it in then?

As for pro-pipe, I've always been a firm believer in that what keeps Halo exciting and fresh has always been the weapons, the maps, and the game types. Those three things will always be welcome additions to Halo, and the great thing about it is, if a weapon is shit or overpowered it can be nerfed, buffed, or removed. Maps if they play poorly won't be voted in, and game types are often removed from playlists then if they're poor.

But I keep telling you, it really shouldn't take more than a fraction of a second to pull up the death cam. There is no harm being done.

Halo doesn't need killcams because the majority of the weapons are not instakill. The weapons that are instakill are easy to tell you have been killed by them and where they are. The Energy Sword has to literally chest bump you to kill you. Shouldn't be a problem figuring that one out. Rockets and Sniper leave a smoke trail in the air showing where the shot came from. Do you see how these things negate the need for killcams? The inherent mechanics of the weapons act to show players where they were killed from.

-Ryn

Banned

But who gets to say what is and isn't "Halo"? Just because you don't like a feature? What "Halo" is, is different for a lot of people which is fine. The hard part is finding a balance between what everyone wants. A good sequel is one that uses the previous game as a jumping off point to try new ideas and then try and figure out what works. As Funknown said a few pages back, who is to say what actually caused 4 to fail so badly? There were a LOT of changes to that game. Some minor and some big. It's a culmination of things.

People say that sprint for instance was one of the biggest reasons Reach and 4 didn't do well (though imI'd argue Reach did perfectly fine as it has a healthy population well after it came out). However outside of this forum, most of the people I have asked in Reach and 4 while playing thought it was great. However they didn't like various other things that were brought in. For the ones that didn't like sprint though there were other additions that they thought were good like kill cams (less so in 4 but still).

In my opinion, the best solution is to try and provide options. Stuff like hit markers can be refined and balanced but still be made optional for those who don't want them. As long as there is great feedback for those who don't want them. Grenade indicators are dumb imo but again, toggle. It's just a HUD element that a good player doesn't need. There should be as many options as possible which is something Halo has always done well. Whether it's for HUD elements, sound, or gameplay modes. As long as the core of the experience is streamlined and solid. It doesn't have to be schizophrenic and messy just because it has them.

Madness

But I keep telling you, it really shouldn't take more than a fraction of a second to pull up the death cam. There is no harm being done.

Then they don't need to be in there. Seriously. I'm almost certain more Halo players/fans are against them or ambivalent towards them, then want them in, so why do it? We all know why. Ryan even said it to the CA guys in the stream. Because it was in call of Duty, a game where is needed far more than Halo.

A lot of the existing features and gameplay of Halo make killcams redundant. Like I said, it's the first few seconds that matter. So the fact I am forced to watch the killcam start rather than see where my killer went, ruins it. Sniper trails, rocket trails, Spartan laser red targeting, basically show you where the shot came from. You don't need a killcam to see yes, the sniper did get my head.

Just say it, you like them and that's why you want them in there, instead of saying, "they don't harm others, so why not". Like I said, they're needed at times in call of Duty where maps are ridiculously large and detailed, weapons kill super quick, there are no arena weapons. You sometimes need a killcam to see that some guy was perched on a small roof with a sniper at the edge of the roof. That he's got a heartbeat sensor and thermal scope etc. I don't need to see that a guy shotgunned me 5 feet from my face more than the fact that he just picked up my dropped weapon or is coming for my teammates.

Okay, look. Let me just lay this out.

I don't give a flying crap about killcams. I know I'll just swap directly to death cam. But the way I see it, it's no skin off my nose. Yes, appealing to the COD crowd introduced some terrible, terrible things to Halo. But if it's not hurting me, and some people want it, I don't see any particularly good reason to deliberately exclude it. That's it. The merits of killcams really don't matter to me, since I don't plan on actually using them.

Blueblur1

I really don't want kill cams or weapon sets in any Halo game. I find it annoying to button through it every time I die and more often than not they're always turned on. Their use is proof of 343 having a follow the leader mentality.

Welfare

What do you guys think of the way H2A is doing weapon loadouts?
Weapon Sets.

Meh. As long as they're just for SMGs and PRs, fine. But spawning with Plasma nades is still a huge no no. People have been complaining about that since Halo 4 launched.

klodeckel

Banned
HaloGaf gonna HaloGaf.

Nah. Spartan Rank just displayed how much you played this game Call of Duty Style. Every Halo ranking system before displayed your skill based on your wins. That's why. And slowly I get the feeling the 1-50 level system will be just on second level in this game and the "main" ranking system is still the simple and useless Spartan Rank thing. I hope IGN proves me wrong this week.

It's this:

Halo-2-Ranking-System-Explained-768x1024.jpg

vs. this:

"lolol I just had some free time and am lvl 120 now but still can't hit a single headshot"

Hell, I even like the name "Spartan Rank". It's cool. Just the system behind it is just ... Useless. Again, if "Spartan Rank" here is just the name for the skill based ranking system - thats amazing! But I refuse to believe that.

Madness

Why does it matter what the ranks are called?

Ideally, I'd like the emblems in some way. Maybe an indicator of general playtime as opposed to ranked skill? SR-1 to SR-50 for skill, major, brigadier, general based on playtime like Reach etc.

I don't think it really matters though. I'd rather have SR-50 than stuff like Noble, Inheritor type stuff.

Weapon Sets.

Meh. As long as they're just for SMGs and PRs, fine. But spawning with Plasma nades is still a huge no no. People have been complaining about that since Halo 4 launched.

You risk unequal starts with weapon sets. You need to make each weapon viable otherwise no one will use it in comparison to the other, and so what's the point of weapon sets then? For example, if BR kills 2 split seconds faster or more accurate, why would anyone pick carbine and why have it as an option? But if Carbine is not faster than SMG but more accurately you risk uneven gameplay in that someone will start with a superior weapon you don't know about. It comes down to the same rock paper scissors type gameplay, even if it's not as bad as full loadouts like H4.

The only way weapon sets can achieve what they want and still have equal starts, is to have identical I'll times and accuracy and the only differentiator is the skin and ammo of the guns to make it seem like you're firing something new, but then you risk redundancy and ask yourself what the point even is.

IHaveIce

Banned
Nah. Spartan Rank just displayed how much you played this game Call of Duty Style. Every Halo ranking system before displayed your skill based on your wins. That's why. And slowly I get the feeling the 1-50 level system will be just on second level in this game and the "main" ranking system is still the simple and useless Spartan Rank thing. I hope IGN proves me wrong this week.

It's this:

Halo-2-Ranking-System-Explained-768x1024.jpg

vs. this:

"lolol I just had some free time and am lvl 120 now but still can't hit a single headshot"

I think you completely misunderstood my post, but well maybe there are some posters here who needed that information you just posted, so it wasn't wasted.

The thing is we already know there will be a Skill ranking system, it would be no surprise if there will be a EXP based system aswell. To get worked up over this without knowing what is the fact is just what I posted... a typical HaloGaf reaction tho = HaloGaf gonna HaloGaf

Top Bottom