• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Nah. Spartan Rank just displayed how much you played this game Call of Duty Style. Every Halo ranking system before displayed your skill based on your wins. That's why. And slowly I get the feeling the 1-50 level system will be just on second level in this game and the "main" ranking system is still the simple and useless Spartan Rank thing. I hope IGN proves me wrong this week.

It's this:

Halo-2-Ranking-System-Explained-768x1024.jpg

vs. this:

"lolol I just had some free time and am lvl 120 now but still can't hit a single headshot"

Hell, I even like the name "Spartan Rank". It's cool. Just the system behind it is just ... Useless. Again, if "Spartan Rank" here is just the name for the skill based ranking system - thats amazing! But I refuse to believe that.

I find it deeply amusing that the example players are John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Impala26

Wait, did anyone else notice during the gameplay footage that the player died about 7 or 8 times, but only ONCE did a killcam actually pop up after death? Every other death was classic "deathcam".

Two things either:
A) The build they were playing is still a bit bugged in terms of killcams (a la Halo 4 at launch), or
B) Killcams might actually be CONTEXTUAL and based on whether or not you're looking in the direction of the "kill shot" (the one time the killcam popped up was when he was killed from behind).

Thoughts?

-Ryn

Banned
Speaking of flying vehicles, I wonder if we'll ever get a large scale mode with dropships.
If 16v16 becomes a thing then I can see there being a covenant transport ala the Falcon only instead of turrets maybe it has shields so it can act as a defensive counterpart? For actual dropships though it'd have to be bigger than 16v16 or else it won't be fully utilized.

Wait, did anyone else notice during the gameplay footage that the player died about 7 or 8 times, but only ONCE did a killcam actually pop up after death? Every other death was classic "deathcam".

Two things either:
A) The build they were playing is still a bit bugged in terms of killcams (a la Halo 4 at launch), or
B) Killcams might actually be CONTEXTUAL and based on whether or not you're looking in the direction of the "kill shot" (the one time the killcam popped up was when he was killed from behind).

Thoughts?
I would actually find that interesting. It'd certainly save a few trips to theater.

Two things either:

Thoughts?

Mmm'yep, made this observation and was just about to post it. Nice eye!

My opinion on it: I like it. I've had times during games with long spawns where I wish I could watch my opponent's kill screen. I don't see this being a negative impact on gameplay at all.

Madness

More than likely the B-roll footage is an older build, maybe months older. We saw killcams everytime in the live stream which had the latest build.

These were probably filmed when IGN went to 343 a while back.

spartan rank sucks ass, give me 1-50. i fukin hate all that overcomplicated bs, trim the fat and give me the core halo experience. fuck this sucks seriously halo 5 is gona be a huge fuck up just look at h2a

Madness

spartan rank sucks ass, give me 1-50. i fukin hate all that overcomplicated bs, trim the fat and give me the core halo experience. fuck this sucks seriously halo 5 is gona be a huge fuck up just look at h2a

We are getting 1-50, and it seems like we are getting Halo 2 ranks because in one shot we see 46 and the moon. They're just called SR I think. Well I'm assuming that at least. I'd hate for SR-130 to come back for experience. Would much rather things like major, brigadier, general, field Marshal.

Dude lost them the game with his lone wolf tactics out in the middle of nowhere, just waiting to get flanked. Very Elzar-esque, if I'm using that term correctly.

Two things either:

Thoughts?

ok i admit i am against killcams BUT if they only pop up based on whether u saw the killer or not is actually pretty cool. i would be ok with this. contextual killcam ftw

The player in this gif is clearly dependent on motion tracker. Well, how so you may ask? Because he throws grenades without first being aware of his surroundings due to that little red dot he must eliminate, despite his teammate being right there. In this same video, you can see how many times they dance in circles because the players know where each other are, leaving less room for interesting plays.

It happens all the time. All. The. Time.
#RemoveMotionTracker

It's important to reiterate that motion tracker is the problem, not radar. You can have a radar for matchmaking similar to CoD's where it's only based on sound (meaning when you fire, you appear on the radar, not for movement). Sound-based radar is the best compromise for Halo Matchmaking IMO.

Impala26

More than likely the B-roll footage is an older build, maybe months older. We saw killcams everytime in the live stream which had the latest build.

These were probably filmed when IGN went to 343 a while back.

DAME...

I was really hoping for B, but I knew deep down it was more likely A... :-(

Assaulting a position like Ascension's Big Tower is a challenge with or without Radar. It's just obnoxiously stupid when the guy with the high ground, looking down narrow ramps, can also see you coming, through walls like Promethean Vision, even when he's hiding behind cover.

Impala26

Dude lost them the game with his lone wolf tactics out in the middle of nowhere, just waiting to get flanked. Very Elzar-esque, if I'm using that term correctly.

It was a shame because early on in the game he was playing quite well. Actually it was WAY better than most of the "competitive" H2A video footage we've seen to date save the few pro games around Gamescom (Hornet flipping montage anyone?).

Lone Wolves CAN effectively surprise/flank an enemy team if they're smart about it, but holding around the Banshee platform on Ascension by yourself? He was just asking to lose there.

Assaulting a position like Ascension's Big Tower is a challenge with or without Radar. It's just obnoxiously stupid when the guy with the high ground, looking down narrow ramps, can also see you coming, through walls like Promethean Vision, even when he's hiding behind cover.
Yeah for sure, but the point of that gif was to show how his initial reaction was to eliminate that red dot, despite screwing over his teammates. Had that been without motion tracker, he would've seen his teammate there and not thrown the grenade, and instead would have continued seeking another position for better lines of sight.

I know we've discussed motion tracker to death, but I'll probably keep posting examples every now and then so it stays fresh on everyone's minds for Halo 5 ;]

Impala26

"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way."

Based on that gameplay footage though, is it possible that the killcams were more contextual like that in earlier builds of H2A? I actually find this concept interesting and would've been a solid mix to please both the old guard and new players.

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah for sure, but the point of that gif was to show how his initial reaction was to eliminate that red dot, despite screwing over his teammates. Had that been without motion tracker, he would've seen his teammate there and not thrown the grenade, and instead would have continued seeking another position for better lines of sight.

I know we've discussed motion tracker to death, but I'll probably keep posting examples every now and then so it stays fresh on everyone's minds for Halo 5 ;]
I must admit that I definitely enjoy games without motion tracker on more. Though it's become such a core part of Halo I doubt they'd be able to just straight get rid of it. Then there's the fact that it takes a function away from crouching (though I don't know how much an issue that really is).

I must admit that I definitely enjoy games without motion tracker on more. Though it's become such a core part of Halo I doubt they'd be able to just straight get rid of it. Then there's the fact that it takes a function away from crouching (though I don't know how much an issue that really is).
It would be an easy transition and one that helps the fanbase improve on a meta level IMO.

Impala26

I mean, there's always SWAT right? Has there been any clarification whether the Team Hardcore and/or Halo eSports playlists have motion tracker disabled?

Madness

It would be an easy transition and one that helps the fanbase improve on a meta level IMO.

That's the thing though, if you never cut the umbilical cord, you'll always stay attached. Not to say it needs to completely go away because it has become such a crutch, but I'd like to see a lot of ranked/competitive playlists do away with radar altogether. Will be jarring at first, but in the long run will lead to much better games, and much better players.

Impala26

#crouchwalklikeapro

That's the thing though, if you never cut the umbilical cord, you'll always stay attached. Not to say it needs to completely go away because it has become such a crutch, but I'd like to see a lot of ranked/competitive playlists do away with radar altogether.
I'm saying sound-based radar would be the easy transition. Having no radar at all for "hardcore" playlists would be easier to accept as well.
in the long run will lead to much better games, and much better players.
Yup.

-Ryn

Banned
If they left it in as an option for customs, party game playlists, and campaign I can see it working well enough. Or at the very least making the transition smoother.

#crouchwalklikeapro
...Not sure how well it'd work but what if crouching slightly camouflaged the player after having crouched for say 3 seconds. The level of Camo would stay the same regardless of movement and you'd still be easily seen but at a distance it could be effective.

...Not sure how well it'd work but what if crouching slightly camouflaged the player after having crouched for say 3 seconds. The level of Camo would stay the same regardless of movement and you'd still be easily seen but at a distance it could be effective.

...and if players don't move off spawn for 10 seconds they get an Overshield.

Madness

I'm saying sound-based radar would be the easy transition. Having no radar at all for "hardcore" playlists would be easier to accept as well.

Yup.

If I can get hypothetical, I've always felt the CoD radar was dumb in that any firing on the map gave away location. The best radar should be line of sight, mixed with close proximity audio. It would make sense that a Spartans helmet picks up enemies when they're seen, or when they fire a gun, but only closeby. Destiny radar is somewhat better in that it only really tells you location of danger.

For example, if I see some guy standing on the hill on Valhalla and he's in my sight, have him be on the radar for everyone. But if I can't see or hear someone coming stealthily from the side of a cave, why would they be on my radar? I think "painting targets" works too. Imagine if you see a guy, you can tag him for a few seconds so he's visible to anyone nearby.

But then again, these are just band-aid solutions to it. Would be easier to just keep it for those who need it in a few playlists, remove it for the ranked/competitive playerbase at large.

The halo with the least story still has the best story and scenes.

And the best chatty Chief with his own mind.

The player in this gif is clearly dependent on motion tracker. Well, how so you may ask? Because he throws grenades without first being aware of his surroundings due to that little red dot he must eliminate, despite his teammate being right there. In this same video, you can see how many times they dance in circles because the players know where each other are, leaving less room for interesting plays.

#RemoveMotionTracker

It's important to reiterate that motion tracker is the problem, not radar. You can have a radar for matchmaking similar to CoD's where it's only based on sound (meaning when you fire, you appear on the radar, not for movement). Sound-based radar is the best compromise for Halo Matchmaking IMO.

I never understand why the devs wants to short the learning curve that harsh.

I think "painting targets" works too. Imagine if you see a guy, you can tag him for a few seconds so he's visible to anyone nearby.
I FORGOT about painting targets.. Gears of War does it so well:
gears-of-war-3-20110428052950558-000.jpg

c38291450955f7d10e398f3e0b13958cf3a23e16.jpg__620x348_q85.jpg

Must be disappearing in this pic, but it's as bold as the blue one.
No motion tracker + spotting = solution to no mics + improving nonverbal communication. With all the waypoints we have, I'm surprised Halo doesn't have this by now.

Radar is nice in large Campaign battles where it is you alone against hordes of enemies; it is your wingman. But in multiplayer, your wingmen are your teammates all around you.

Madness

No motion tracker + spotting = solution to no mics + improving nonverbal communication. With all the waypoints we have, I'm surprised Halo doesn't have this by now.

Yeah exactly. That's what I was thinking about. Loved tagging in Gears so my teammates would at least know to look out for players etc. This way, smart players can help with spotting and tagging enemies, and like you said, improves non-verbal team-mate communication as well.

Yes because a full on extra shield is comparable to a slight decrease in visibility.

Active Camo and Overshield are the two power ups. You are saying if you play passively, you get rewarded with a weaker version of a power up. That is what I am suggesting too, not a full overshield, just a slight overshield.

Japarican

Banned
Yeah exactly. That's what I was thinking about. Loved tagging in Gears so my teammates would at least know to look out for players etc. This way, smart players can help with spotting and tagging enemies, and like you said, improves non-verbal team-mate communication as well.

If they were smart, they would be out of party chat Kappa. When the hell is halowaypoint going to be back up or am I missing a plug-in?

Cow

I'm fine with radar, I don't see it as that big of an issue as long as it's radius isn't too big. Both teams have equal information.

There are so many little things from Gears of War 3 I'd love to include in Halo, especially since they seem to work on the same Xbox controller, arena-style teamshooting/map control shooter style. Dedicated servers was the big one, so there's that. But spotting is such a nice and easy way to communicate to players where the enemy is. Very helpful in non-verbally trying to control the map. There's also the TAC/COM button you can press and hold to see where the objectives are, and then it fades away when you release it. That way you can easily see where all the power weapons spawn and where the flags are without having ATTACK/DEFEND in bold fuckin' print on screen at all times. Options, ya know?

Cow

Even though everyone has it, doesn't Radar heavily favor passive playstyles like camping and crouch walking?

To a certain extent yes it adds more power to certain positions, encouraging players to stay there. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and this effect can easily be countered by placing power weapons, and power ups away from these positions.

As for crouch walking, I don't see what the problem is. They are sacrificing movement to become invisible on the radar.

In my opinion radar adds intensity to each engagement. Though, this is more true when talking about radar that has no vertical information. I feel that subtracts from the intensity I'm talking about.

gears of war/battlefield spotting system will be less effective if there was no radar at all because in tps its easier to look all around the map. i think players should only pop up on the radar if they are either spotted or shoot an unsilenced gun.

this way 343 can also introduce silenced pickup weapons to the maps which do a little less damage but over the advantage of not popping up on radar.

the advantage to having all players visible though is it keeps the game flowing but i guess crouching can break that also.

Madness

gears of war/battlefield spotting system will be less effective if there was no radar at all because in tps its easier to look all around the map. i think players should only pop up on the radar if they are either spotted or shoot an unsilenced gun.

this way 343 can also introduce silenced pickup weapons to the maps which do a little less damage but over the advantage of not popping up on radar.

the advantage to having all players visible though is it keeps the game flowing but i guess crouching can break that also.

No thanks. We don't need 343 introducing silenced pickups.

#RemoveMotionTracker

While personally I find radar (motion tracker) and no radar to both be fun, no radar without a doubt allows for more interesting and inventive gameplay. I love to use this as my example (#3 not possible with radar, allowing for more clutch plays and requiring more awareness, even when double teaming):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbtRgCXisU&t=2m36s

CliQ

#RemoveMotionTracker

This

I've never had an issue with the motion sensor. Just have gametypes with it on, and have gametypes with it off, and choose whichever you want to play. Everyone's happy, and you don't need to introduce new gimmicks with silenced weapons or whatever.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I've never had an issue with the motion sensor. Just have gametypes with it on, and have gametypes with it off, and choose whichever you want to play. Everyone's happy, and you don't need to introduce new gimmicks with silenced weapons or whatever.

#this

Madness

were the smg in odst not silenced? i never played the game but from what i can remember they seemed to be silenced. would be cool to have some more stealth levels in halo or at least given a different way to play a level

I have an issue with the "have shots fired be visible on radar, but introduce a new pickup that allows shots to be silent, but for slightly less damage aspect of what you're asking".

Reminds me of that, introduce flinch mechanic, but introduce stability perk to offset it for some people. Introduce see-through walls mechanic, but introduce stealth perk so you sound quieter and are seen less.

It's just simple, either remove radar from a lot more playlists, especially those with a competitive/ranked mindset, or keep it, but tweak it slightly. As it is right now, it hampers stealth, promotes turtling, etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, radar needs some retooling. Out of all the ideas tossed around so far, I think I like sound based radar as the new default the best. I've never been a fan of the idea of spotting in Halo. I want to force people to play intelligently, work together, and communicate. Much like hit markers or grenade indicators, I think a spotting system would fill a role that is currently filled by a player's skill. If spotting ever makes it into the game, I definitely want it disabled in any sort of ranked / esports playlist.

BigShow36

That would be fine if it actually translated to matchmaking. The problem is that 90% of playlists have radar and are, quite literally, not enjoyable for me to play. If it was 50/50 I wouldn't be so opposed to it.

Top Bottom