• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

2dbcc300-1359-11e4-9d16-0759e16cb1a6_pong-game-screenshot.jpg

ultimota

All due respect mate, fuck no. Taking Halo's radar even to Destiny levels is a sure fire way to kill off players like myself and friends with 10,000s of games. We prefer default Halo and that includes the "interesting" plays we interact with when radar is on and accurate.

What you're asking for is once again let us make all of Halo MLG settings. Radar on Halo for each and every single game version has been more popular in default playlists population over MLG or AGL or hardcore etc. Why? Radar is fun, is still interesting for others and enables a solo/buddied up player to actually compete against a full blown practised communicated team (which is the minority of MM players, believe it or not).

Anyhow I know I'll derail the thread and have a wave of unpopular opinion thrown at me here but radar is Halo to me. Also GTFO with that babby crap, radar absolutely does not equal bad skills.

I'am 100% with Ozzy on this one.

The fact you guys absolutely detest any minor change that gets made to Halo,
and the are sitting here requesting a staple of Halo gameplay get removed is just straight out bizarre to me.

The motion tracker has been in Halo since the beginning, motiontrackerless gametypes should just continue to be a voting option in playlists NOT THE STANDARD.

Don't tell me what I find fun. :p

Radar is a tool. I find using it, and abusing it, both fun.
v
Sneaking around is much more easy without a radar but I think it's just a free pass. With radar on, you need to either outwit the enemy or outplay them.
This is what I was addressing.
To be fair, FUNKNOWN has been suggesting wonky shenanigans like throwing thruster packs into CE.
I will end you.

EDIT:
The fact you guys absolutely detest any minor change that gets made to Halo
Do I though or are you just generalizing all people who oppose motion tracker in this discussion?

Booshka

Scrubs need to lay off the radar, get some headphones and start sound whoring. That way you can pay more attention to what you need to shoot and call out, instead of dots on a radar. With some proper headphones you will hear people behind, above and below you.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Scrubs need to lay off the radar, get some headphones and start sound whoring. That way you can pay more attention to what you need to shoot and call out, instead of dots on a radar. With some proper headphones you will hear people behind, above and below you.
I can't wait to play Halo with a headset finally. I'm already good at whoring, now I can sound whore too.

@Funknown, I don't get it when radar enables a differing style of play that still includes awareness, action/reaction, communication, baiting/feinting and creates a stealth/alert system on top of that. It's not just camping by any means. Given that one could argue no radar just creates no stealth and always running gameplay and is not effective for BTB nor 5v5 on mid-large maps either, the more default style of Halo IMO.

How about vehicle play in general? Radar is very useful against vehicles, perhaps not something many in favour of no radar really play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1xn2OhwWiU

Take this clip, you've seen it here before, where it's not camping gameplay at all. I attack the enemy base, crouch/stealth on the upper edge for the right moment, communicate to my team mates 3 enemies in base and I'm about to take the flag, move into a height position/alert the enemies I'm now on radar, use grenades and enemy movement prediction to gain the advantage I want and then wait to auto-pickup the flag for a slight pause while I kill two pickup flag and finish for the triple kill on the defenders then steal the flag all the way back for a capture while they sit and respawn.

Not fast kill times? Not skilled? Not working with my team? Not playing the objective? Camping in one spot for easy kills? All negated by this single gameplay clip.

Now had this have been a MLG style setting, as you suggest, we would not have seen vehicles in play causing a distraction so I can get in to position, no stealth & no radar on so I can play for the advantage I want, the enemies would not have been alerted to me attacking the base...I could keep going.

The facts are both radar and no radar are valid and great ways to play Halo. To suggest radar on Halo is some how less skilled and all Halo should have radar off is plain nuts IMO. Further the maps and game settings are quite different, default objective on Valhalla or Standoff or Relic is worlds away from Midship MLG. Playlists should stay how they are nowadays.

PS - I've been playing with a headset for donkeys, completely agree sound and awareness trump radar/motion tracker. Still want radar on though :) Also clip being Halo 4 doesn't matter this style of offensive stealth in objective has been with me since CE/2 days.

willow ve

I can't wait to play Halo with a headset finally. I'm already good at whoring, now I can sound whore too.

Switching from TV sound to headset sound was akin to switching from SDtv to HDtv. IT's that much of a difference.

After playing with headphones for years going back to a LAN party or playing split screen anywhere is a nightmare. You end up twitching and jumping at every grenade sound.

"...the spirit of the Halo combat model which rewards player skill, fire and movement."

http://www.hardylebel.com/2014/10/universal-truth-game-design-3-part-3/

Checks out.
Great read, now onto Parts 1 & 2. Thanks for sharing.
That's a funny statement to me. I think what you mean is you can play Halo with motion trackers and still perform well. That doesn't mean it isn't taking something away from you.

You play around it and I get that. The talking points here are how Halo is improved by removing motion trackers.
Now, if only games could get sound processing tech back up to where we were in the late 90s...
Alright, I need some flarking headphones. Why aren't any wireless on the Xbox One? ;\

You're basically buying an advantage though. How is that more "skillful"?

I'm curious how the fine folk of NeoGAF would answer these questions.

In gametypes where radar is on, what percentage of the player base regularly uses radar?

Of the players that do use radar, how often do you think they use it in a normal, team slayer match?

I always take a look of the radar in any gametype, that awareness is really helpul when I decide to charge and go for the melees and use the same radar to trick them to follow me and give my team a window to attack from another angle.

In Reach active camo era I usually used it below or above the enemy plane and scramble their radar

People are pretty clueless without radar, I think the only one who can "hear" me are the ones using headsets.

Booshka

"...the spirit of the Halo combat model which rewards player skill, fire and movement."

http://www.hardylebel.com/2014/10/universal-truth-game-design-3-part-3/

Checks out.

Excellent links, looks like Active Camo was intentionally designed to be as intricate as it is in Halo CE, and quick camo isn't really a glitch, so much as a byproduct of an interesting design algorithm. The camo values on power weapons and the Pistol are different so that you don't go back into Camo as quickly after firing, and the "glitch" of shooting to get into it quicker doesn't work either. But, with the short range weapons, their camo values are changed to support ambush tactics with that side of the weapon sandbox, so the possibly unintentional byproduct of this was shooting to get into camo, or switching to a close range weapon after firing from the other 3 (power/ranged weps) to get into camo (AKA quick camo).

I always thought there was more behind it, because how intuitive it seemed that only the short range weaponry benefited from quick camo, which is why you drop your trusty Pistol for a close range weapon if you pick up Snipers or Rockets.

The Pistol talk is fascinating as well, Bullet spread for noobs, but skilled players will learn to pull the trigger at the right pace to get perfect accuracy at essentially the same high fire rate. Sounds like he would have liked to push the gunplay model a tad bit further into what Shadowrun does with pacing and bullet spread. Although the Shadowrun Rifle is essentially like the CE pistol in that you can shoot it exceedingly fast with high accuracy so long as you pull the trigger for every shot and aren't moving. In CE the movement part is thrown out the window, but the shot pacing and requirement to pull the trigger instead of hold it is still there.

Halo CE is really a marvelous specimen of game design. It probably helped that they weren't too many voices in the room, or focus tested/market pressures to get the smart guys to change the finer details that only high level players would notice and respect anyway.

Mix

God, as it comes together, I'm starting to get nervous. Everything that I can add to the OT is done and I'm stressed over what you all will think of it. I hope you all enjoy it come the 11th.

willow ve

God, as it comes together, I'm starting to get nervous. Everything that I can add to the OT is done and I'm stressed over what you all will think of it. I hope you all enjoy it come the 11th.

I predict better than TheOddOne not as good as Jeylk

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

One of my big pet peeves is calling people "scrubs" because they use gameplay systems. Using ALL the tools available to you (including radar) makes someone good at Halo, not intentionally ignoring one system because in your head it makes you a scrub.

antigoon

One of my big pet peeves is calling people "scrubs" because they use gameplay systems. Using ALL the tools available to you (including radar) makes someone good at Halo, not intentionally ignoring one system because in your head it makes you a scrub.

You could make a good argument that radar just allows better players to abuse worse ones even more.

You could make a good argument that radar just allows better players to abuse worse ones even more.

It's not really about better or worse but about agressive or passive. Do you want to reward players for corner camping and duck walking across the entire map or do you want to reward players for simultaneously strafing and shooting while fluidly moving throughout the map's various positions.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

People who use radar are scrubs.
People who use ammo counters are scrubs.
People who use health indicators are scrubs.
People who use reticles are scrubs.
People who use wireless are scrubs.

Etc.

Madness

Pick up my Xbox One in like 12 hours when the stores open. Can't wait. All those games like Spartan Assault and others will download soon.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I bought Minecraft on the One for some fucking reason tonight
get off my case it was $5
and look who showed up.

9rEHSyA.png

edit: fuck there's a Halo level with the music and everything. Well played M$, have another $4.

It's not really about better or worse but about agressive or passive. Do you want to reward players for corner camping and duck walking across the entire map or do you want to reward players for simultaneously strafing and shooting while fluidly moving throughout the map's various positions.

I rarely find people camping in corners with a shotgun watching the radar nonstop, i wouldnt say this is a very common thing
Besides that even if being common this could easily be solved by getting away from those super small close combat maps to some open and exposed maps

Astro A50s
Yep, I have these and they are damn good.
Nice, that price though. Probably worth it, but now I need for Microsoft to allow some settings for voice through speakers & headset as a system setting. It's my main hesitation right now since I want to stream for Halo and would like for my friends' voices to be heard, even though no one will be watching ;b
Can't be a sneaky beaver with radar. Forced to be a sneaky duck.
That quacked me up.

EDIT:
I rarely find people camping in corners with a shotgun watching the radar nonstop, i wouldnt say this is a very common thing
Besides that even if being common this could easily be solved by getting away from those super small close combat maps to some open and exposed maps
You must have skimmed over Ozzy's posts.
iJest <3

Off-topic, but I was wondering what I should do about my Sunset Overdrive bundle I preordered. Not sure what gamestop policies are for stuff like this, but with the price reduction for xbox one bundles going live on Nov 2nd, should i cancel the preorder or is too late lol? I could save 50 dollars by waiting another 5 days or so. Or I should just get it and enjoy the game tomorrow.

Mix

yeah, I got it. was more so looking for an outlet to to freak out about something else, just superimposed it on the OT.

long day makes for a whiny Mix.

Off-topic, but I was wondering what I should do about my Sunset Overdrive bundle I preordered. Not sure what gamestop policies are for stuff like this, but with the price reduction for xbox one bundles going live on Nov 2nd, should i cancel the preorder or is too late lol? I could save 50 dollars by waiting another 5 days or so. Or I should just get it and enjoy the game tomorrow.
Technically you can, but it's a dick move. Working for the company, I understand how frustrating something like that can be. They should have waited to announce this until like the 30th

Technically you can, but it's a dick move. Working for the company, I understand how frustrating something like that can be. They should have waited to announce this until like the 30th
Yeah. MS really wants to win November and December sales, but they should have made the announcement for a price change beginning in early October and had it start with the release of Sunset Overdrive. That would have lined up everything perfectly. Originally, I thought the only way to get the SO bundle was by preordering it. If it was gonna be made available as a regular unit, I wouldn't have preordered and then could have made my decision on whether to wait or or not without gamestop being involved. Personally, I think gamestop should honor the price change, but that's just me.

EDIT: Sorry I edited lol.

Mix

Yeah. MS really wants to win November and December sales, but they should have made the announcement for a price change beginning in early October and had it start with the release of Sunset Overdrive. That would have lined up everything perfectly.

Okay, yeah, the price drop lining up with the release of SO would've been way smarter.

antigoon

I agree with you, I just hear this argument sometimes that radar helps poor players and I actually think it can make it worse for them.

Booshka

Stop preordering. Wait until day 1 release or a sale and walk in and buy it. Handing stores money so you can help them sort out their orders and inventory with nothing but some gimmicky shit in return is not worth it. You lose way too much purchasing power when you preorder, it's not worth "Mtn Dew Dorito Sword" Preorder bonus #35.

Mix

Stop preordering. Wait until day 1 release or a sale and walk in and buy it. Handing stores money so you can help them sort out their orders and inventory with nothing but some gimmicky shit in return is not worth it. You lose way too much purchasing power when you preorder, it's not worth "Mtn Dew Dorito Sword" Preorder bonus #35.

I agree with you to a point. If you're okay with gambling on it, then sure don't pre-order if you don't to, but you miss out on free shit as well as a guaranteed copy of the game. whether you pay it off or put 5 bucks down, I think it's always worth it. Super Smash Bros. came out like 3 weeks ago and we only got 15 copies more than what was pre-ordered and they were gone in like an hour that night. We just got in a shipment of like 20 copies yesterday. To me, it's worth the security of making sure you get a copy.

I was under the impression that the only way to get a white xbox one was by preordering the sunset overdrive bundle. Not exactly the same thing. I never preorder anything fyi - this is might be the first time ever for me.

Top Bottom