• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

God, as it comes together, I'm starting to get nervous. Everything that I can add to the OT is done and I'm stressed over what you all will think of it. I hope you all enjoy it come the 11th.

You seem like a cool dude and I enjoy your posts. I'm sure it's fine. My opinion is the only one that matters so you can relax. ;-)

Stop preordering. Wait until day 1 release or a sale and walk in and buy it. Handing stores money so you can help them sort out their orders and inventory with nothing but some gimmicky shit in return is not worth it. You lose way too much purchasing power when you preorder, it's not worth "Mtn Dew Dorito Sword" Preorder bonus #35.

Midnight launch local shop pre-order is worth it, other general times I agree with you. Flip side, digital pre-loading is the shit.

Random17

In regards to killcams, one negative aspect in my opinion is that it reveals the position of an enemy in a much more explicit manner, ruining any advantage of stealth in a franchise where stealth gameplay has been on the decline.

(A powerful camo that is a powerup is honestly a lot more fun to use than a "balanced" camo that you can get from a loadout. The former is actually useful outside of simply camping with a sniper at the back of Hemorrhage.)

I'm not opposed to killcams for any other reasons. I'll be honest, I actually like them in Call of Duty, but they are less useful in Halo because Halo isn't plagued with wall penetration kills and major latency issues.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
en-INTL-L-Astro-Gaming-A50-Wrls-Headset-Bundle-Halo-Ed-XboxOne-FLF-00292-mnco.jpg

US: $300 - £186
UK: $403 - £250

Scam artists.

jem0208

Back to radar?

Personally, I think that removing it is a ridiculous idea. It's been a staple feature since CE. It would be like removing the Warthog.

I think the best course of action would be to tweak it for each individual playlist.

As to those tweaks... I think one of the most useful aspects of it being aware of what's directly behind you. One of the problems with Halo (and console shooters in general) is that the field of view is extremely limited. Thus means your spatial awareness is massively decreased. It basically means it's very difficult to know what's directly around you without constantly spinning. Without radar you could have someone running around directly behind you and you would have no idea. For this reason I think radar is still pretty important in smaller game modes. However it's still true that radar can limit the tactical options of everyone. To counteract this I think severely limiting the radius of radar would be a reasonably good solution in 4v4 playlists. Removing the height indicators would also be a good move.

This means you still have an awareness in your direct vicinity however it would make it much more difficult to intercept and interpret enemy plans and tactics.

For the more competitive playlists I agree it should be disabled.

Another method I think could work would be to up the movement speed when crouched. Make it so you move just slightly slower than normal movement. This would mean there's actually a point to crouching beyond couch jumping. It would also mean you get to keep radar whilst also being able to pull off more tactical and sneaky plays.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Back to radar?

It in no way can go. That is a fact. Removing a staple feature of the game since CE
I'm gonna remember this post the next time someone says the anti-Reach/H4 crowd wants Halo to stay the same forever. If 343 can do all kinds of other stuff with Halo, they can experiment with new radar systems. I think there have been several ideas proposed in this thread worth exploring.

jem0208

I'm gonna remember this post the next time someone says the anti-Reach/H4 crowd wants Halo to stay the same forever. If 343 can do all kinds of other stuff with Halo, they can experiment with new radar systems. I think there have been several ideas proposed in this thread worth exploring.
I never finished my post :3

On mobile and slipped and accidentally hit submit.

Actual post:

Back to radar?

Personally, I think that removing it is a ridiculous idea. It's been a staple feature since CE. It would be like removing the Warthog.

I think the best course of action would be to tweak it for each individual playlist.

As to those tweaks... I think one of the most useful aspects of it being aware of what's directly behind you. One of the problems with Halo (and console shooters in general) is that the field of view is extremely limited. This means your spatial awareness is massively decreased. It basically means it's very difficult to know what's directly around you without constantly spinning. Without radar you could have someone running around directly behind you and you would have no idea. For this reason I think radar is still pretty important in smaller game modes. However it's still true that radar can limit the tactical options of everyone. To counteract this I think severely limiting the radius of radar would be a reasonably good solution in 4v4 playlists. Removing the height indicators would also be a good move.

This means you still have an awareness in your direct vicinity however it would make it much more difficult to intercept and interpret enemy plans and tactics.

For the more competitive playlists I agree it should be disabled.

Another method I think could work would be to up the movement speed when crouched. Make it so you move just slightly slower than normal movement. This would mean there's actually a point to crouching beyond couch jumping. It would also mean you get to keep radar whilst also being able to pull off more tactical and sneaky plays.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Browsing in bed is actually quite a dangerous undertaking. The amount of times I've dropped my phone on my face is ridiculous...
lol, I tweeted about that phenomenon a few weeks ago. I do it too often, but at least it makes me laugh.

Edit : Looks like IGN is showing Forge stuff this week!

Velikost

Anyone know if your Spartans from Halo 3 & 4 will carry over into MCC? If not I'll have to boot them up and figure out what all armor I was wearing so I can transfer it over.

Just thought I'd chime in on the whole radar thing too: I've played Halo since the first came out on original Xbox, but the only game I've played competitively is CS. Coming from that, I like the idea of a sound based radar, but I don't think you can hear enemies footsteps at all in Halo, right? I know in Reach and 4 you can hear them if the use sprint, but aside from that everyone is relatively silent until they fire. I don't think sound-based radar would work without normal movement giving sound cues as well. I definitely think there should be some form of radar in Halo though

Mr White

Hey guys!
How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
Member since this summer

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
I am 26 years old. And I live in Moscow

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
I am Halo fan since 2010. Played all games and loved them all. Didn't finished Spartan Assault though.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
Campaign

What is your favorite playlist?
Well, BTB I guess

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
I'm an engineer (working now on new stadiums for 2018 FIFA World Cup).
Favorite games (except Halo of course): Freelancer, Mass Effect, Gears 2, Too Human, all Remedy games, Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Pinata, Crackdown, Fable 2, and many others.
My favorite Halo Campaigns : Halo Reach and Halo 2

And I have a question for you guys. How to not suck at Halo Multiplayer? (I only played Halo 4 Multiplayer and it feels little bit random at times)

So I heard there isn't a 2v2 playlist at launch. That sucks, I'm sure they will at it later though. On that subject, what's everyone's favorite 2v2 map from each game?

Mine:
Prisoner
Midship
Guardian
Zealot
Haven

jem0208

And I have a question for you guys. How to not suck at Halo Multiplayer? (I only played Halo 4 Multiplayer and it feels little bit random at times)
Basic Halo is pretty simple. If you're a reasonably good shot you shouldn't find it overly difficult to get into.

Some basic pointers:

Learn the maps. This can't be said enough. Knowing the best routes around a map, positions of strength and weakness, where to attack from and where to retreat from is extremely important.

Practise your aim, make sure you're on a sensitivity that suits you.

Get used to aiming at their chest for the first few shots and then pulling up to their head when the shield pops.

Know when to retreat, being overly aggressive will get you destroyed. This also ties into learning the maps.

I really need to add a lot more of you guys to my Friends List for the inevitable flood of amusing custom games and for steamrolling other teams in MM.

Please add me if it takes your fancy!

GT: Sikamikanico

jem0208

I really need to add a lot more of you guys to my Friends List for the inevitable flood of amusing custom games and for steamrolling other teams in MM.

Message mix if you haven't already.

He'll put your GT in the Halo MCC OT.

Mr White

Basic Halo is pretty simple. If you're a reasonably good shot you shouldn't find it overly difficult to get into.

Some basic pointers:

Learn the maps. This can't be said enough. Knowing the best routes around a map, positions of strength and weakness, where to attack from and where to retreat from is extremely important.

Practise your aim, make sure you're on a sensitivity that suits you.

Get used to aiming at their chest for the first few shots and then pulling up to their head when the shield pops.

Know when to retreat, being overly aggressive will get you destroyed. This also ties into learning the maps.

Thanks for response. Now I need to find resource where I can find information about maps. There is so many of them in MCC

Message mix if you haven't already.

He'll put your GT in the Halo MCC OT.

I have already, but just thought I'd pimp myself out a bit. :p

EDIT: Any UK based HaloGAF people want to come to a Halo Launch event in London with me? I have a plus one and no available to take....let me know if interested.

(There will likely be swag and stuff)

RowdyReverb

Added. Count me in for customs. Also count me in for team motion tracker. I think removing it would be a mistake for general playlists. While removing it may force you to get better at the game, not everybody is interested in getting better to that extent.

Blueblur1

I'm really looking forward to H2A multiplayer despite it's "Halo 4-isms". Hopefully kill cam and weapon sets will be disable in MM. Oh, and hopefully the first person models look better. In all of these builds they look like they were fan-made.

dwells

Gaming headsets in general are a scam. Generally crappy drivers making crappy sound with a cheap noisy amp and a mic thrown on. Nice plasticky construction, too. $30 headphones at best with $270 of marketing added to the price

I plan on using these. Not the best headphones in the world or even the best set I own, but they'll be a damn sight better than any gaming headphones.

xl_HarmanKardonCL_1_624.jpg

I'm hoping the inline mic plays nice with the Xbone headset adapter.

RowdyReverb

Are there any Forge features people are hoping for? I'd like to see more color palette customization so Forge maps don't have to look like Forge maps.

dwells

Are there any Forge features people are hoping for? I'd like to see more color palette customization so Forge maps don't have to look like Forge maps.

Color palette in the form of texture selection, material selection, and custom lighting are all desperately needed. It's been done in other games and I see no reason why they can't bring it to Halo. It's almost as if they intentionally gimp Forge so it can only produce bland, grey, and depthless maps (I believe it was Reach where it was so bad that things blended into each other almost and it screwed with depth perception) in order to better differentiate and promote DLC.

gAg CruSh3r

More option for forge walls and other items (wall texture and colors) and buttons for doors to open and close (bridges too). Explosion for traps or to set up auto gun turrets that you can set off. More nature items, such as grass (5x5 or other sizes), bushes and shrubs, and more trees and rocks!

My list can go on and on but that's the basic for me. It's to early for me to think and type.

Cool beans, because I don't have class on tuesday the 11th, my job scheduled me to work five hours more than I normally would.

What a bummer. I was planning on playing Halo all day.

RowdyReverb

More option for forge walls and other items (wall texture and colors) and buttons for doors to open and close (bridges too). Explosion for traps or to set up auto gun turrets that you can set off. More nature items, such as grass (5x5 or other sizes), bushes and shrubs, and more trees and rocks!

It looks like with H2A they are at least starting to add interactive elements to Forge. For example, the button for the base doors on Stonetown is forge-able apparently. Maybe a good sign

Gamersyde teasing some sort of footage for tomorrow...

"More Microsoft goodies to come as soon as tomorrow since we'll have a certain Master Chief as a special guest on Gamersyde. Stay tuned!"

ElRenoRaven

You know on the subject of Halo. I say let 343 do whatever they want. I finally have what I want. I can play OG Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3 online on the xbone. Now as far as I'm concerned 343 could turn Halo multiplayer into a carbon copy of COD and I wouldn't care cause I'll be playing Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3 muahahahahahahaha.

Top Bottom