• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Impala26

*Finally watches IGN forge video*

Lol the WAC screen is back.

HERETIC BANSHEE IS IN FORGE HOLY BABY JESUS THIS IS COOL

6Cnua2k.jpg

0pQN89u.jpg

7MiBWKe.jpg

Holy fuck this is forge. This is all the same map.

71c.gif

Question for skilled Forgers:

How do you remake a map with accurate scale and dimension? Is there a method or is it more of whatever looks and feels right?

matthieuC

How do you remake a map with accurate scale and dimension? Is there a method or is it more of whatever looks and feels right?
If you want to be really accurate, sometimes people go into the old game and measure distances with like a KoTH hill. Not sure though. I've never really made remakes.

Raide

Most of the basic blocks are in units, which fits in with how big the player is. Plus you tend to jump in and out of a mapmas you built to scale things up.

Tried to add you funknown but I forgot I already did. lol.
:]
This. I'm still really hopeful for what the next game will bring to the table. There is no reason we can't get what is here PLUS other improvements.
Sounds like what we've said about each game before it released. Don't set yourself up for disapointment and stop thinking about implications for Halo 5.

Trust me on that one.

EDIT:
Halo Ninja Warrior

4 Identical Obstacle Course pathways meeting in the center.
1st Spartan to the top.
Activate Switch.
Everyone explodes.

/fin
Welp.. Halo's back.

BigShow36

Halo Ninja Warrior

1st Spartan to the top.
Activate Switch.
Everyone explodes.

/fin

Ghazi

After watching a little bit of the footage, I'm disappointed with the way they've handled buttons again. Used to be that things just happened when you pressed X or whatever prompt and you still had full control of your character. Now, and in H4, the game puts your weapon down and locks you into an animation that feels really jarring and uncomfortable. This was a recurring annoyance in H4, too. It should just be that the progress bar fills up as you hold X standing near the terminal...

Raide

Halo Ninja Warrior

1st Spartan to the top.
Activate Switch.
Everyone explodes.

/fin

Yes.

I want to see some of those Death Run modes where 1 player can trigger traps, while the others try to navigate the map.

Switches do add some interesting new options. Hopefully they have more doors than just the Zanzibar one.

I will get back to remaking Quake and Goldeneye maps!

danwarb

After watching a little bit of the footage, I'm disappointed with the way they've handled buttons again. Used to be that things just happened when you pressed X or whatever prompt and you still had full control of your character. Now, and in H4, the game puts your weapon down and locks you into an animation that feels really jarring and uncomfortable. This was a recurring annoyance in H4, too. It should just be that the progress bar fills up as you hold X standing near the terminal...

There are different kinds of button. They shoot one out in the video.

NOKYARD

There are many extremely accurate methods to measure and place items, but due to the different movement speeds between games i found it best to use a stop watch (or saved film) and time how long it takes to walk between points. That's how i rebuilt Sidewinder , anyway.
iWwqCWWEKvahL.png

It's also how i established the size of Grifball courts in Reach and H4, which is 9.5 seconds from goal to goal.

Soon, i will show how i plan do do remakes in H2A.
Hint, i now have 4 screens and 2 distribution amps at my disposal.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I wonder if you can use territories as triggers for these switches... race tracks that appear and disappear as you drive over them, capture points that fortify automatically when you try to capture them, etc, etc

Raide

I wonder if you can use territories as triggers for these switches... race tracks that appear and disappear as you drive over them, capture points that fortify automatically when you try to capture them, etc, etc

Hrmm...you might be able to change the team for the switch and have it change depending on who owns the capture point?

They have shoot buttons, so I wonder if we can drive over them like race markers to trigger stuff.

Good God that blew me away when he peeked over the canyon and Beaver Creek was humbly nestled in its own little pocket minding its own business. Forge geometry had coloured bands through them, excellent. Interactive elements, so good. It looks like the overall budget is significantly higher than what we've had before.

Forge has finally evolved in a meaningful way for the playable end product. Frankenstein custom game creations will be taken to the next level with this.

There are many extremely accurate methods to measure and place items, but due to the different movement speeds between games i found it best to use a stop watch (or saved film) and time how long it takes to walk between points. That's how i rebuilt Sidewinder , anyway.
iWwqCWWEKvahL.png

It's also how i established the size of Grifball courts in Reach and H4, which is 9.5 seconds from goal to goal.

Soon, i will show how i plan do do remakes in H2A.
Hint, i now have 4 screens and 2 distribution amps at my disposal.

Ah that makes sense! Cool! :) Forge is so awesome.

In my experience with Megalo script in Halo 4, anything can be a trigger. A switch is just the easiest to understand. Entering a hill, getting in a vehicle, picking up a weapon, pretty much anything the game can detect can be the "switch". I have no idea if the system we will get will be that robust though.

Impala26

Totally a pipe dream I think, but now with the addition of Forge-able terrain, could we see decent remakes of racetracks (real life or from other games) for Mongoose/Ghost Racing?

My proposal: The Boonta Eve Classic from Star Wars Episode I: Racer

ITW1_Boonta_Circuit.jpg

Oh how I could dream...

Edit: Less Extreme Idea--Laguna Seca Speedway

or even DK's Jungle Parkway

Madness

Apparently the Microsoft Store lady told me that on Nov 2nd, they'll also discount the console by $50 so I'm guessing Canada also gets the discount. Think about that before you open your console.

NOKYARD

Apparently the Microsoft Store lady told me that on Nov 2nd, they'll also discount the console by $50 so I'm guessing Canada also gets the discount. Think about that before you open your console.
Thank you.

The last deal (free game + $50 gift card for XBL) was advertised as USA only but showed up if the items were placed in the Shopping Cart on the Canadian site. Unfortunately they "sold out" of consoles 3 days into the sale.

[edit]even pre-order consoles were marked "sold out".

Madness

Thank you.

The last deal (free game + $50 gift card for XBL) was advertised as USA only but showed up if the items were placed in the Shopping Cart on the Canadian site. Unfortunately they "sold out" of consoles 3 days into the sale.

Yeah. I got the current promotion which was $100 off towards Xbox One, and then they retroactively gave me the $50 off, saying it starts from Nov 2nd onwards so now I got the Sunset console bundle for $249+tax.

Forge looks awesome but I wish they would have added the ability to put screenshots to the map, so you can see them when you choose/vote etc.

I'm terrible with map names.

Raide

Forge looks awesome but I wish they would have added the ability to put screenshots to the map, so you can see them when you choose/vote etc.

I'm terrible with map names.

They usually have a standard Forge Map image. In previous versions, you could take screenshots within the map and that would be the image. Not sure if that will be a thing now.

Overdoziz

Banned
And have my 360 go into meltdown mode and self-destruct? No thanks.
If you think the 360 couldn't handle that kind of Forge (object quantity and density aside) you must be kidding yourself. The additions to Forge in H2A weren't made possible because of the Xbox One. It's because 343/CA actually gave the feature a halfway decent amount of attention.

Raide

Would happily take a MCC code now so I can start Forging! My free copy is due from GAME before launch, so I could give that away.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
First thing for MCC now: remake Facing Worlds for Halo.

Holy shit Forge looks good.

Top Bottom