• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

dwells

Terminal was a good BTB objective map, but positively useless for Slayer. Get a one point lead, camp in vent spawn for entire rest of game. How that made it through playtesting I have absolutely no idea.

Omni

It's funny to me that Halo Reach's Forge World has better water than the map we were shown today. It's just so flat

and lack of tree shadows bothered me a lot

Otherwise I'm impressed. This really should have been in Halo 4.

Sephzilla

Terminal was a good BTB objective map, but positively useless for Slayer. Get a one point lead, camp in vent spawn for entire rest of game. How that made it through playtesting I have absolutely no idea.

Yeah, this is why I've kind of never understood the love for Terminal. It sucked for slayer.

It's funny to me that Halo Reach's Forge World has better water than the map we were shown today. It's just so flat

and lack of tree shadows bothered me a lot

Otherwise I'm impressed. This really should have been in Halo 4.

Hm? From what I recall the map in Halo 4's water only looked decent from the distance, and even then the overall color pallet lacked contrast.

The water can't be too choppy, they confirmed its shallow and allows players to walk and build in it.

I do wish the lighting effected the water though, as it looked a little weird in the Beaver Creek forgemake.

Impala26

That's what I said, Terminal should've been the first map and a no-brainer. I don't want to see a lego block speeding by. When warlord was announced as the last map I was so mad, I don't even understand how that map gets the remake, out of all the maps that was the worst choice. I thought Terminal would get the remake too, guess they thought it was too much work. The train, main platform, each base, parking lot, parking lot booth, vent shortcut

It wasn't the WORST choice, but it was not one of the better choices 343 could've made. They already were remastering Sanctuary, which is a small-mid sized map symmetrical about an axis. They already had another small map remake in Lockout and another small-mid asymmetrical map in Ascension. Zanzibar was solid mid-size and Coagulation was large. They ideally needed another mid/mid-large/large map to help round out the remaster here, imo.

For me I would've chosen:

Lockout
Ascension
Sanctuary
Zanzibar
Relic
Terminal

These were the maps I had the most consistently fun time playing back in the H2 days.

• No Midship because that's being done for Halo 5
  • No Ivory Tower, Beaver Creek and Headlong because they were recently remade in CEA.
  • Burial Mounds, Colossus, Waterworks, Foundation and "The Rest" were solid maps, but they didn't always have the most consistent gameplay.
  • Had to go with Coag I guess because it's not like Blood Gultch appears (in some form) in every Halo entry or anything...

One little thing that would be nice is the ability to customise the time it takes to activate a switch.

Also, I wonder if we can de-spawn geometry with switches?

Omni

Hm? From what I recall the map in Halo 4's water only looked decent from the distance, and even then the overall color pallet lacked contrast.

The water can't be too choppy, they confirmed its shallow and allows players to walk and build in it.

I do wish the lighting effected the water though, as it looked a little weird in the Beaver Creek forgemake.

Halo 4's water in general was awful. I'm was referring to Halo Reach!

And I wasn't talking so much about choppiness and waves and stuff. I mean I wasn't expecting huge waves given the supposed depth. But even the shaders look off in this forge build

Raide

One little thing that would be nice is the ability to customise the time it takes to activate a switch.

Also, I wonder if we can de-spawn geometry with switches?

The video showed a bridge appearing when a switch is used, so I cannot see any reason why the switch cannot be attached to something else for it to pop in and out.

GreyWind

Maybe the water from the final build will look different?

My top requests for Halo 5 are dynamic weather and time of day cycle.

Raide

so forge is once again going to be grey structures with green grass? please has a desert and snow canvas also and honestly am sick of seeing grey, more colours

Don't forget brown!

I would love them to add more pallets to the world. Sorely missing a Covenant one or even a Flood based one with organic blocks.

ShinAmano

So where is the best place to preorder mcc? I know some places have bonus skulls...will they be available to everyone eventually?

Anyhow cant wait.

Hm...

Halo 2 Anniversary on normal: Done
Halo 2 Anniversary on Legendary Solo: In progress
Halo 2 Anniversary on Legendary Co-oP: in progress

:D

Madness

So where is the best place to preorder mcc? I know some places have bonus skulls...will they be available to everyone eventually?

Anyhow cant wait.

Yeah, they unlock like mid-December for everyone. Microsoft store gives you $10 gift card towards future purchases, I think Best Buy in US gives you map book. EBGames/Gamestop have the best skull though. Infinite ammo and grenades, in my opinion. Here in Canada though EBGames will have some weird FR4ME case, while UK Game I think gets exclusive collectors edition with map book and steel book.

RoKKeR

To the reviewers in here
the teasing is painful
are you guys allowed to say when the review embargo lifts?

Also do you all have the 20GB patch?

ShinAmano

Yeah, they unlock like mid-December for everyone. Microsoft store gives you $10 gift card towards future purchases, I think Best Buy in US gives you map book. EBGames/Gamestop have the best skull though. Infinite ammo and grenades, in my opinion. Here in Canada though EBGames will have some weird FR4ME case, while UK Game I think gets exclusive collectors edition with map book and steel book.
Well if they unlock I am ok. Thanks.

Madness

I assume the forge stuff is an older build too? Most likely they'll tinker with all that until launch when the patch drops.

Spades

Hm...

Halo 2 Anniversary on normal: Done
Halo 2 Anniversary on Legendary Solo: In progress
Halo 2 Anniversary on Legendary Co-oP: in progress

:D

Got anyone else on your Friends online? Me and a buddy playing CE on Legendary now, but would love to get some Customs set up!

PNut

Banned
H2A Forge does look incredible. But like some have said a couple of those 6 maps could have just been remade using the new forge. We could of had Terminal instead.

Late on the radar talk but I replayed ODST recently and never noticed the absence of radar. In fact I think without radar it added to the gameplay of the campaign. Had to be much more aware of encounters.

CliQ

Not sure if it was just the IGN video but forge didn't look 60 fps. No big deal really. People are going to make stuff that's going to use a lot of assets and i'm sure they couldn't optimize that for 60 frames.

H2A Forge does look incredible. But like some have said a couple of those 6 maps could have just been remade using the new forge. We could of had Terminal instead.

343i's gotta keep this boat afloat for a year, and seeing how H2:A is the new draw to the game, they'll probably have to support it with some extra maps despite there being 4 other games you can play. Or at least I hope, I want more maps down the road.

Only new maps I want are for CE. How cool would that be to include community maps? ;]
Late on the radar talk but I replayed ODST recently and never noticed the absence of radar. In fact I think without radar it added to the gameplay of the campaign. Had to be much more aware of encounters.
Yup, I believe that it makes encounters more meaningful. ODST was fun to solo, especially fighting against those Hunters.

B1DY5hcCIAAkjMN.jpg:large

Grassy flat pieces or just weird shadowing?

Impala26

343i's gotta keep this boat afloat for a year, and seeing how H2:A is the new draw to the game, they'll probably have to support it with some extra maps despite there being 4 other games you can play. Or at least I hope, I want more maps down the road.

If I were lead designer...

Colossus
Backwash
Relic
Terminal

Turf and/or Burial Mounds in place of either Colossus or Backwash as backups. Backwash is awesome in the sense that no other Halo map across the series has an interesting weather effect (fog in this case) that actually effects gameplay on the map (minmizing sight distance in this case). Given that, a nice touch would be to put like the option to have a thunderstorm or something on a map like Relic or as Bohe pointed out above... how about a nighttime Terminal map?

^ Halo 5 better have these things.

And so it begins, with Forge's reveal we now speculate potential with Halo 5.
The cycle continues.
Halo has returned.

v
Seeing nilla excited makes me excited.

nillapuddin

Is.. is this, real life?

ooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyygggggggoooooooddddddddddd

I promise to uphold the mantle, and bring back all the nilla classics, as soon as humanly possible.

Holy. shit.

I'm so pumped
343, give me a week in advance to forge for my brothers, you know you want to.

Madness

I can't wait to see what the forge community can do with this new iteration. Can't wait to see an updated Guardian as well.

I agree their next step should be different environment locales. Have a Snowbound area with frosted trees, bushes, snow on ground, permafrost grass, etc. I think a daytime/nighttime effect with a changed skybox could be great too. Imagine daytime has bright blue skies and sun, and nighttime has some Covenant ships flying by or some aerial battles going on with the stars out.

Can't believe they snuck in Battle Creek/Beaver Creek somehow too! So excited now, but this also made me wish Terminal was remade and put in instead of Warlock which could have been easily recreated here.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Heard nothing with MS USA yet, seems to be only Canada and Europe.

bcde330ada93da6516658f55d0d5ee34.png

Yeah, every single UK media guy I know has got it and GS is Canada. Im sure US will be soon/before the end of the week.

Times like this almost makes me regret not not getting FUD all signed up.

danwarb

Not sure if it was just the IGN video but forge didn't look 60 fps. No big deal really. People are going to make stuff that's going to use a lot of assets and i'm sure they couldn't optimize that for 60 frames.

This video wasn't 60fps for gameplay or Forge. It's most likely the video.

Madness

I'd imagine they have something built in there or will require any forge map to be put into rotation must hit 60FPS or something. Otherwise would be so jarring going from 60FPS gameplay to 30fps or lower on the forge maps. Hopefully they're still tinkering with it. It said in the IGN video that the date of the map was October 14th, so it's from at least two weeks ago made.

Top Bottom