• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Vico

Went to a gaming convention tonight (yeah, I wasn't breaking any NDAs ahah). Got to play twice on Lockout and once on Sanctuary. All I can say is that the game is so so smooth.

Snagged this really cool shirt (which is probably way too big for me) :

t8mNJOC.jpg

Have we seen any footage of the Suppressed SMG in Halo 2 Anniversary yet? ODST's SMG was possibly my favourite gun of the series, so I'm really curious to see what they've done with it in H2A.

I completely agree with you, and I still can't believe that they changed it - the visual style we ended up with actually stripped away most of the intricacy and detail, and lost the 'ooh, next-gen Halo' wow factor. Even today I still feel that Halo 3's armour is some of the worst of the series - it looks glossy and toyish, like a plastic action figure.

The look of the armor itself is fine but i agree that the glossy look looked weird. Halo 2 model for life. The exact style and color till this day is amazing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If you are on Metacritic and your review is used, I'm pretty sure that would work very well in your favour too.

Oh no doubt. I think when talking with Naughty Dog PR they said they got 1000+ review requests, for Last of Us so it's easy to see why a bunch don't get a copy though. I'd hate to be the PR team in charge of making that decision.

Madness

A 30fps-encoded video doesn't demonstrate much of anything.

That said, I'd be astounded if it's not possible to use forge to wreck the framerate.

Wouldn't they have the ability to have some internal checks in place to make sure any/all maps in forge stick to 60FPS or no? I just can't see them allowing intricate forge maps, but sub 30 frames or something, especially since every other game/map will be 60FPS. Maybe they're working some magic where they have pretty much guaranteed you can't wreck frame rate?

CliQ

Wouldn't they have the ability to have some internal checks in place to make sure any/all maps in forge stick to 60FPS or no? I just can't see them allowing intricate forge maps, but sub 30 frames or something, especially since every other game/map will be 60FPS. Maybe they're working some magic where they have pretty much guaranteed you can't wreck frame rate?

If you jammed all of the pieces in your budget together into one blob it would for sure slam the frame rate.

There's a performance meter at the top of the screen in forge.

So do we think Forge was a the surprise thing Ryan teased last weekend?

Talking about Forge is as much a surprise as giving tours of the remastered maps. It's something that 343i had already spoken about and discussion of a known feature of the MCC doesn't qualify as a surprise to me.

Vico

Would be fucking cool if, on friday, IGN posted an entirely new tour of a remastered map... However this time it's Midship and it's in Halo 5 Guardians.

AlStrong

Maybe if there were marks to indicate what framerate the map will be at, or yeah, just a counter, but hey, it's something.

Yeah, I wonder if they have more advanced metrics built into the engine for their own QA purposes. I mean, what exactly are they calculating to get that bar anyway? :)

Computron

all it will take is a few particles filling your screen to kill all framerate from overdraw. its not something you can completely guarantee.

Yeah, I wonder if they have more advanced metrics built into the engine for their own QA purposes. I mean, what exactly are they calculating to get that bar anyway? :)

ms per frame?

dwells

I sure hope Forge is 60FPS. If it isn't, then I don't see who Forge maps could be 60FPS. That would be awful, 90% of the matches you play are 60FPS, and then a Forge map pops up and it's 30FPS? Would seriously throw off the feel of the game.

mhi

Ogre's team almost got zoned out on Warlock CTF before that guy lagged out.

That shit used to be brutal when it happened to my teams but was fun to be on the other side.

dwells

Just remembered something while watching the stream. Bungie used frame-based timing logic in Halo 2, i.e. things like rate of fire were linked to framerate. As a result, in Halo 2 Vista, the carbine is massively overpowered (beats out the BR handily) if the game is running at 60FPS. It's enough that it throws off the sandbox and how the game plays. I just checked the IGN First video of Halo 2 classic, and it looks like they haven't patched this. That's a big problem. Anyone want to tweet to 343i about it? I'm not sure they're even aware of it since they didn't develop H2V.

wwm0nkey

Just remembered something while watching the stream. Bungie used frame-based timing logic in Halo 2, i.e. things like rate of fire were linked to framerate. As a result, in Halo 2 Vista, the carbine is massively overpowered (beats out the BR handily) if the game is running at 60FPS. It's enough that it throws off the sandbox and how the game plays. I just checked the IGN First video of Halo 2 classic, and it looks like they haven't patched this. That's a big problem. Anyone want to tweet to 343i about it? I'm not sure they're even aware of it since they didn't develop H2V.
I'm okay with the carbine being useful.

darthbob

Basically, does this mean that due to the higher framerate you can literally output more shots from the carbine?

dwells

Basically, does this mean that due to the higher framerate you can literally output more shots from the carbine?
Yes. The rate of fire is significantly higher (theoretically double, but I don't recall it feeling that fast) and you can dump a mag into someone's face before they can start their fourth BR shot.

nillapuddin

I'm in the mood to make a fairly detailed map remake for H2A, but there is too much to choose from. Anybody have suggestions?

CE lends its self for Forge most, flat
not necessarily simple
geometry and easy to understand map flow.

All of which are (now likely) possible, would be a great set to cut your teeth on.

Top Bottom