• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Madness

I'm spying a lack of killcam as well.

Damn people overreacted about the whole killcam thing...

Look at the gamertags playing. Plus keep in mind matchmaking isn't live, and multi-player isn't finished. This seems to be the same old build. Almost every new footage we've seen of the final build has had killcams.

RowdyReverb

IGN said:
Social matches [Ed. note: read: 'unranked'] will also be available for players who prefer a more relaxed play experience.
So in addition to the number of playlists we have already, there will be both ranked and social? Will we be spread too thin?

TheOddOne

ibgffjMO7fehVN.png

Shots fired.

jem0208

I thought there was no H4 in 4v4 slayer. If they are using legendary slayer great.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10...-day-multiplayer-playlists-revealed-ign-first
"Eliminate the enemy team across four Halo games: Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 2: Anniversary. Nothing but Team Slayer, 24/7. 4v4."

No, the launch playlist article on IGN said this.

Team Slayer
Eliminate the enemy team across four Halo games: Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 2: Anniversary. Nothing but Team Slayer, 24/7. 4v4.

Oh yeah...

I'm being really dumb today...

Tawpgun

Wonder if Another Day at the Beach will be in the extras or if it will just play before or after the outskirts/metro mission

pacman85

So it doesn't seem like this details whether or not the ranks will be viewable in the pre-game lobby does it? I know you can go to someone's "profile" page and view their highest rank achieved, or you can view your own rank in each playlist when picking a playlist but half the fun was seeing the ranks of the guys on your team and the other team you were matched up against in the pre-game lobby. I don't see the rank viewable on the nameplate on the right side of the screen. Am I missing something?

dwells

Sounds like they're saying two totally different things here:

Each playlist within Halo: The Master Chief Collection uses an independent skill-based ranking system that is identical to the leveling system from the original Halo 2. The system uses the same exact XP requirements as the original Halo 2; players will earn XP when they win and lose XP when they lose, and total XP will determine their rank. You will have a skill-based ranking per each playlist; we ultimately decided not to have a 'master' ranking across all four games combined, given that player skill and approach varies radically between game chapters.

Additionally, we’ve also modified matchmaking to use skill detection, which will put players into the fairest matches faster than any Halo game to date. In ranked hoppers, players will be evaluated after each match and can go up or down in ranks depending on how well they perform.

So which is it? At first it's the exact Halo 2 ranking system, but now it's saying matchmaking is different. The bit about being evaluated after each match sounds a lot like the Halo 3 ranking system, which was hilariously broken.

Why couldn't they ported the exact ranking and matchmaking system from Halo 2? It was the best system of any ranked game I've ever played. Don't "fix" what isn't broken.

So it doesn't seem like this details whether or not the ranks will be viewable in the pre-game lobby does it? I know you can go to someone's "profile" page and view their highest rank achieved, or you can view your own rank in each playlist but half the fun was seeing the ranks of the guys on your team and the other team you were matched up against. I don't see the rank viewable on the nameplate on the right side of the screen. Am I missing something?

Nope, see the bit above about a "master rank." No more having your high rank displayed for you to be proud of. You know, one of the major things that drove competition in Halo 2 and made people aspire to get a symbol. Can't have that, don't want to make the less skilled players feel less special.

In fact, it even looks like per-playlist ranks for other players might be hidden and not shown even when in that playlist. Note the "your rank" display in the corner but not on the player name. I'm guessing this means other players' ranks are hidden. Likely again to coddle lesser skilled players, as they did with the hidden ranks in Reach.

Goddammit.

jem0208

Sounds like they're saying two totally different things here:

So which is it? At first it's the exact Halo 2 ranking system, but now it's saying matchmaking is different. The bit about being evaluated after each match sounds a lot like the Halo 3 ranking system, which was hilariously broken.

Why couldn't they ported the exact ranking and matchmaking system from Halo 2? It was the best system of any ranked game I've ever played. Don't "fix" what isn't broken.

Obviously ranking is separate from matchmaking.

Which is a good thing really, it was the ranking system which was so great in Halo 2.

dwells

Obviously ranking is separate from matchmaking.

Which is a good thing really.

Halo 2's matchmaking was strictly tied to ranking - matches were determined strictly through simple math involving players in your party. It was consistent and you could easily predict the ranks of the people you'd match against with mental math. Adjust any low outliers to the offset of the highest rank, average the ranks, and then allow for a one to two level average rank deviation for the opposing players. It worked well.

jem0208

Halo 2's matchmaking was strictly tied to ranking - matches were determined strictly through simple math involving players in your party. It was consistent and you could easily predict the ranks of the people you'd match against with mental math. Adjust any low outliers to the offset of the highest rank, average the ranks, and then allow for a one to two level average rank deviation for the opposing players. It worked well.

That leads to problems though. If you've got someone who's been playing Halo for years and buys the game, they're going to play against a bunch of scrubs who suck until they reach a reasonable rank.

There's also the problem that the ranks are tied separately to each playlist. This means the whole matchmaking system will be ruined on any playlist you haven't been on before.

You also have the fact that there are rotational playlists. How would matchmaking work there if it was tied to rank?

tootsi666

That leads to problems though. If you've got someone who's been playing Halo for years and buys the game, they're going to play against a bunch of scrubs who suck until they reach a reasonable rank.
Smurfing will always be a problem in ranked multiplayer. There is no way to fix it without taking the ranking system out.

If the ranks are not on show in the pre-game lobbies on your tag and only in a profile/service record type menu, I have a feeling quite a few people will be disappointed. That was one of the primary draws of ranking systems IMO.

dwells

Every single ranked game has skill gap problems at the beginning before ranks normalize. The system has to go through teething for a little bit to level things out. It wasn't a problem in Halo 2.

Top Bottom