• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

DJ Gunner

As long as they're visible one way or another, I guess. But I think the Halo 2 approach would be the best bet. Show the current playlist rank next to the player's name, and show their highest rank on their player card/highlighted name.

I'm just worried. Every game since Halo 2 where they've messed with the ranking system they've made it worse.

I agree with this. I suspect we'll see the ranks in the player profile, maybe the playlist rank, maybe the highes rank, who knows.

pacman85

Why do others have to see your rank?
Lol, how do you not get this? Have you never achieved a high rank and were proud of it? Why is your gamerscore visible on your gamercard whenever anyone views your profile? Why did Microsoft just add the "Showcase" to your profile page on your gamercard where you can add really cool/hard to get achievements to show off? It's because you are proud of what you have achieved and want to show it off to others, whether it be friends or people you are playing against in a competitive multiplayer match...

win/loss based ranking system? people playing to win?

L9sRlC9.gif

This what truely matters and it's what made halo 2 and 3 so great. Win, you get xp, lose, you get nothing. Completely changes the way people play IMO for the better. It's about winning, not just racking up dumb points to rank up for no reason.

Except that if the ranks aren't visible, no one gives a damn about them. See Halo Reach for example.

People like their ranks being visible to others. No one would bother buying a nice suit if no one else could see it.

Agree completely, however vain it may seem to a lot of people, bragging rights and something to strive for that you can show off has a big effect on people.

I know personally myself and numerous friends online would of continually played Reach & 4 for a much longer period of time, probably including DLC, if there was a visible ranking system like 2/3, even if we didn't enjoy the game as much as the first 3.

Japarican

Banned
If Yall haven't played LoL, the thirst for a specific rank in the game is ridiculous compared to halo. I don't really care about showing off, I want a 50 in slayer/doubles/snipers/esports

Reach had something similar to a 1-50, except that number resided on the matchmaking server and you couldn't see it. Since players knew no one else saw their rank and they couldn't see it either, they didn't care what the invisible number on the server said. So even in ranked games you'd get plenty of people quitting or just not caring. That didn't happen nearly as much in higher or even medium ranked games of Halo 2 where your public rank was on the line.
But YOU can see it. People gave no fucks about rank in Halo 2 as well. People quit and deranked all the time (repeated suicides etc).

You can see your rank, the people who care about ranks will still play to the end and try and win to increase their ranks. Look at all the cheating that happened when people could see each others ranks.

Halo 3 was worse. Having Jackasses sell level 50 accounts. And even bigger Jackasses buying level 50 accounts and having people boost their accounts.

Visible ranks makes more problems than it solves. Having it visible to the player solves some of this and is a much better solution than what Reach did.

pacman85

I know personally myself and numerous friends online would of continually played Reach & 4 for a much longer period of time, probably including DLC, if there was a visible ranking system like 2/3, even if we didn't enjoy the game as much as the first 3.
This!

I know we don't have confirmation one way or the other yet, but if 343 is literally not displaying only because they want to "coddle" new players then that is a complete joke....competition is everywhere and the fact they would not to show someone their rank because they are worried they will quit playing/aren't good enough is laughable. I was never that great and only got to around 28 or 29 (out of 50 mind you) in Halo 2 and seeing that number over and over was what made me continue to try and get better and keep playing.

AlStrong

Looks like in H2A graphics High Charity loses some of its scale. Backdrop makes it seem a lot smaller than what it looks like in the OG version

Mmhm... I think what really helps the original is that it's a lot darker, which plays well with the surrounding fog. The buildings surrounding the ship kind of ruin things a bit too as we now have a clearer reference for size (i.e. the building windows & lights).

The other thing that stuck out in the video was the aliasing on the roof now (since it's modeled + specular).

edit:

Just doing some checking, but I think folks have estimated the ship to be between 11-14km high (?). Those buildings surrounding it just don't do it justice.

Madness

Even if they're not visible, at least they're in game again so that's a start. As long as I can see, okay, I'm a 36 in team slayer right now, guys like Tashi are 45, I'm happy. Remember 343 has never really wanted ranks, so it's good we at least get a very similar Halo 2 style ranking system.

I was never that great and only got to around 28 or 29 (out of 50 mind you) in Halo 2 and seeing that number over and over was what made me continue to try and get better and keep playing.
Keep proving my point.

When YOU can see your rank, you try harder.

Showing off your cool level 50 creates nothing but problems (see halo 2+3)

Keep proving my point.

When YOU can see your rank, you try harder.

Showing off your cool level 50 creates nothing but problems (see halo 2+3)
So you're just saying that it's fine to show every number, except for 50? lol

You first seemed against visible ranks, then you seemed for it by quoting someone who appreciates visible ranks to prove your point, which is in contrast to what your other post was, then in this same post you mention a slight against visible "50's" specifically? I'm lost.

Gain xp with a win.
Get nothing with a loss
Get negative XP with a quit.

Nah you should be punished for losing.

+100 for winning
+150 for beating a team with a higher overall skill rank
+200 for beating a team with double their score
+250 for beating a higher level team and getting double their score

-75 for for a loss or betrayal boot
-100 for losing to a lower level team
-125 for quitting or being kicked for AFKing

You should be punished for losing, if not there's no incentive to try and win. If people can't see your rank I'm not sure there's any inventive to begin with, but eh at least it's something.

HTupolev

The other thing that stuck out in the video was the aliasing on the roof now (since it's modeled + specular).
Specularity alone isn't the issue, it's how it's handled. Halo's 1 and 2 both have normal-mapped specularity on environmental surfaces, but it doesn't create a whole lot of aliasing (instead, surfaces lose detailing pretty quickly with distance). Hence why even on-map stuff that has a specular response looks smooth in the original game, but very grainy in H2A.

Just doing some checking, but I think folks have estimated the ship to be between 11-14km high (?). Those buildings surrounding it just don't do it justice.
The estimate depends on the context (i.e. Halo 2 HC versus Halo 3 Storm), but yeah, the scale is problematic.

danwarb

Mmhm... I think what really helps the original is that it's a lot darker, which plays well with the surrounding fog. The buildings surrounding the ship kind of ruin things a bit too as we now have a clearer reference for size (i.e. the building windows & lights).

edit:

Weirdest thing it that they're very 20th century Earth looking, blocky tall buildings.

belushy

Banned
Quit should be like -5

or

XP loss for quits gets bigger the higher your rank is. So more lenient for new players and very harsh for the pros.

Impala26

Nah.

+1 xp with a win.
+1 xp with a win streak
-1 with a loss
-2 with a quit.

Personally I would change it to:
-1 with a quit (first time)
-3 with a quit (consecutively or two within 20 minutes and so on...)

I say this because while I think quiting should be discouraged like this, it should only really penalize the RAMPANT quitters and not someone who might have an unexpected life event pop up and force them to quit without warning. This was pretty much Bungie's mantra back in the day and why they didn't want to penalize folks for a single quit. And in Reach they actually incentivized NOT quitting and completing games by having higher chances for jackpot credit rolls post-game.

Visible ranks to the player is great.

Having all the ranks in the pre game lobby is the problem. Remember people would just load up a custom lobby and 16 people would sit there just to show their ranks off? Shit was lame. Having other people see your rank creates a sense of importance to show others how good you are.

"bragging rights" caused shitty player behaviour by leading to people modding, standbying, bridging host, boosting accounts, selling 50's etc etc.

Why not compromise and not even open that door in the first place? All the shitty things that openly visible ranks caused, were the same reason Bungie made them invisible in Reach.

People weren't happy with that either. The only reasonable solution is to make ranks visible to only the player.

People will be less likely (there will always be some) to do shitty things to level up (or down) when only you can see your rank.

Provide an alternative to the problem? Clearly no option is without negatives

BigShow36

How? 1-50 is back, reach had no 1-50. Why do others have to see your rank?

Why do other teams need to know your record in the NFL?

Competitive multiplayer is an e-peen contest; you're playing against other players to beat them in an online simulation and you feel good when you do. Whats the point of having ranks if they aren't going to be visible to everyone? If it's merely for matchmaking, then why even bother to show them to anyone?

Competitive multiplayer is an e-peen contest; you're playing against other players to beat them in an online simulation and you feel good when you do. Whats the point of having ranks if they aren't going to be visible to everyone? If it's merely for matchmaking, then why even bother to show them to anyone?

but what about people's feelings

I agree entirely. But I'm talking about Halo.

And the problems halos ranking system has created in the past.

I'd love for halo 2s old system to be reused.
It's not worth all the bad that comes with it though.

This topic feels like no one remembers all the negatives caused by the ranking systems of past games.

Tawpgun

the system in place is gain if you win lose if you lose

Or are you suggesting a new one?

OOps yeah I meant lose xp for losing.

Main point is you should get even lower of a loss for quitting. Maybe you can get quit forgiveness once a day or even fewer. But 2 quits in a certain time frame should be a hit to your XP

Nah you should be punished for losing.

+100 for winning
+150 for beating a team with a higher overall skill rank
+200 for beating a team with double their score
+250 for beating a higher level team and getting double their score

-75 for for a loss or betrayal boot
-100 for losing to a lower level team
-125 for quitting or being kicked for AFKing

You should be punished for losing, if not there's no incentive to try and win. If people can't see your rank I'm not sure there's any inventive to begin with, but eh at least it's something.

Nah.

+1 xp with a win.
+1 xp with a win streak
-1 with a loss
-2 with a quit.

Gain xp with a win.
Get nothing with a loss
Get negative XP with a quit.

What I hate about all of these is you'll do poorly if you have a connection that causes you to drop out from games every now and again.

HaleStorm

And the NFL is a meat peen contest.

People like to compete and be competitive. look at the municipal sports leagues, and city championships all over. there is a market and desire to be good, or the best, and to be able to show it.

Having a visible rank is just one way for people to be able to get their fix of competition.

Tawpgun

Ugh a reminder of how dumb this cutscene was in the context of the story.

Lasky reunited with chief after seeing him last time when he was a kid. After chief saved his life.

But never mind that. How about fucking EVERYONE not giving a shit the goddamn master chief is alive but somehow on the same planet we're exploring? The hero of humanity.

Poorly handled. Where's my goddamn fanfare.

What I hate about all of these is you'll do poorly if you have a connection that causes you to drop out from games every now and again.

If you try and search again you get thrown into the same game. Quitting penalty won't be effective till the game is over or something. Not sure if it's even possible for something like that to work.

Eoin

I agree entirely. But I'm talking about Halo.

And the problems halos ranking system has created in the past.

I'd love for halo 2s old system to be reused.
It's not worth all the bad that comes with it though.

This topic feels like no one remembers all the negatives caused by the ranking systems of past games.
I remember the problem not having a ranking system caused and it was far, far worse. Apathy.

Welfare

Then play social if you have connection problems. You lagging out might also cause your team to lose, so for the -whatever you would normally get, you get extra punishment.

What about this:

+1 for a win
-1 for a loss
-1 for quitting while losing
0 for quitting while winning

If you try and search again you get thrown into the same game. Quitting penalty won't be effective till the game is over or something. Not sure if it's even possible for something like that to work.

That sounds workable. I wish games would just give you an option to attempt a re-join as soon as you drop out.

jem0208

Ugh a reminder of how dumb this cutscene was in the context of the story.

Lasky reunited with chief after seeing him last time when he was a kid. After chief saved his life.

But never mind that. How about fucking EVERYONE not giving a shit the goddamn master chief is alive but somehow on the same planet we're exploring? The hero of humanity.

Poorly handled. Where's my goddamn fanfare.

Worst part of the entire Halo 4 story.

No gives a shit that the Chief has mysteriously returned on some random Forerunner planet.

Same thing goes for the Didact. No one is surprised in the slightest that a being from a race which was thought to be long lost has suddenly appeared and wants to kill everything.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed 4 and I enjoyed the story. This just pissed me off.

Top Bottom