• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

jem0208

Every single ranked game has skill gap problems at the beginning before ranks normalize. The system has to go through teething for a little bit to level things out. It wasn't a problem in Halo 2.

You only need to play a (relatively) few amount of matches before a separate matchmaking system will normalise though. Being forced to rank all the way up to the top before you can play people who are of the same skill level as you is gunna suck.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. That's terrifying.

tootsi666

CourageousIllInexpectatumpleco.gif

ScalyPoisedLamprey.gif
Holy shit!
That looks so much better than the original model

dwells

So it doesn't seem like this details whether or not the ranks will be viewable in the pre-game lobby does it? I know you can go to someone's "profile" page and view their highest rank achieved, or you can view your own rank in each playlist but half the fun was seeing the ranks of the guys on your team and the other team you were matched up against. I don't see the rank viewable on the nameplate on the right side of the screen. Am I missing something?

Nope, see the bit below about a "master rank." No more having your high rank displayed for you to be proud of. You know, one of the major things that drove competition in Halo 2 and made people aspire to get a symbol. Can't have that, don't want to make the less skilled players feel less special.

We ultimately decided not to have a 'master' ranking across all four games combined, given that player skill and approach varies radically between game chapters.

In fact, it even looks like per-playlist ranks for other players might be hidden and not shown even when in that playlist. Note the "your rank" display in the corner but not on the player name. I'm guessing this means other players' ranks are hidden. Likely again to coddle lesser skilled players, as they did with the hidden ranks in Reach.

Goddammit.

If the ranks are not on show in the pre-game lobbies on your tag and only in a profile/service record type menu, I have a feeling quite a few people will be disappointed. That was one of the primary draws of ranking systems IMO.

See above. Count me in on being massively disappointed. Defeats a large purpose of the ranking system, for me. If the ranks are hidden, no one gives a damn. Having the rank as a trophy, an actual meaningful thing that had to be earned and maintained, is part of what drove hyper-competitive gameplay at the higher levels. People really cared about the outcome of a match because they didn't want their rank going down, and it made matches more intense than they have been in any Halo game since.

tootsi666

You only need to play a (relatively) few amount of matches before a separate matchmaking system will normalise though. Being forced to rank all the way up to the top before you can play people who are of the same skill level as you is gunna suck.
Wait, Halo 2 didn't have placement matches?

Omni

http://giant.gfycat.com/CourageousIllInexpectatumpleco.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://giant.gfycat.com/ScalyPoisedLamprey.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
/grumble

Probably a little too much detail than I really would have like to have seen before release. That's it for me, I think.

See you guys in 12 days. <3

dwells

You might be misunderstanding me. I'm for the original Halo 2 ranking system where every playlist has its own rank, and matching in that playlist is calculated by the ranks of the players in that playlist. When a playlist is selected, that rank is displayed next to your name.

However, your highest playlist rank is displayed next to your name on the friends list (so on the player card would be the equivalent here) as a trophy/badge of honor type of thing. If someone checks your stats or whatever, they immediately see your highest rank. That rank isn't used for overall matchmaking or anything, just in whatever playlist it corresponds to.

jem0208

Nope, see the bit below about a "master rank." No more having your high rank displayed for you to be proud of. You know, one of the major things that drove competition in Halo 2 and made people aspire to get a symbol. Can't have that, don't want to make the less skilled players feel less special.

In fact, it even looks like per-playlist ranks for other players might be hidden and not shown even when in that playlist. Note the "your rank" display in the corner but not on the player name. I'm guessing this means other players' ranks are hidden. Likely again to coddle lesser skilled players, as they did with the hidden ranks in Reach.

Goddammit.

See above. Count me in on being massively disappointed. Defeats a large purpose of the ranking system, for me. If the ranks are hidden, no one gives a damn. Having the rank as a trophy, an actual meaningful thing that had to be earned and maintained, is part of what drove hyper-competitive gameplay at the higher levels. People really cared about the outcome of a match because they didn't want their rank going down, and it made matches more intense than they have been in any Halo game since.

Calm down.

We know that the ranking system itself will be excellent. We don't know how it's going to be implemented into the UI yet.

You may be able to select a player and see his/her rank similar to how 3 did it. We also saw on one of the killcams that you see a SR rank at the bottom. Probably will be shown there as well.

You might be misunderstanding me. I'm for the original Halo 2 ranking system where every playlist has its own rank, and matching in that playlist is calculated by the ranks of the players in that playlist. When a playlist is selected, that rank is displayed next to your name.

However, your highest playlist rank is displayed next to your name on the friends list (so on the player card would be the equivalent here) as a trophy/badge of honor type of thing. If someone checks your stats or whatever, they immediately see your highest rank. That rank isn't used for overall matchmaking or anything, just in whatever playlist it corresponds to.

What's wrong with having a separate matchmaking system then?

tootsi666

You shouldn't IMO see opposing players ranks pre-game. After a match of course ranks should show in after action report.

DJ Gunner

Goddammit.

How does "master rank" imply "high rank"? There was talk of using a master rank, ONE rank across all games. Meaning you get to 40 in H2C and you're matched with 40s in H3. They are stating (thankfully) this is not going to happen. Nowhere in this information does it claim that you won't have highest rank achieved visible somewhere on your profile. I'm all for critiquing where it's due, but this is seriously jumping the gun. We were just told we are getting the Halo 2 ranking system which people have been demanding return for more than seven years. There's absolutely no mention on where you'll be able to see these ranks or who will be able to see them and you automatically assume they are totally hidden and therefore useless.

Tawpgun

http://www.twitch.tv/orichalco

Playing through a covy environment. Look how CLEAN and good that looks. Compared to this hazy mess we're gonna get.

halo5midship.png

343 artists seem to have a problem with not liking color contrasts. It's like they pick a color and make EVERYTHING shades of it.

H4-Infinity.png

video%20games%20desert%20halo%20master%20chief%20warthog%20mammoth%20halo%204%20campaign%20marines%20marine%202560x1440%20wal_www.animalhi.com_99.jpg

I hope they give us a nice number next to our name that goes up and down depending on form and isn't a cumulative 'how many games you have played' rank.

To omit that would be a terrible oversight. Withholding judgement till they give us the details.

dwells

How does "master rank" imply "high rank"? There was talk of using a master rank, ONE rank across all games. Meaning you get to 40 in H2C and you're matched with 40s in H3. They are stating (thankfully) this is not going to happen. Nowhere in this information does it claim that you won't have highest rank achieved visible somewhere on your profile. I'm all for critiquing where it's due, but this is seriously jumping the gun. We were just told we are getting the Halo 2 ranking system which people have been demanding return for more than seven years. There's absolutely no mention on where you'll be able to see these ranks or who will be able to see them and you automatically assume they are totally hidden and therefore useless.

Look at the UI screenshot which only has the player's rank displayed in a separate part of the screen and nothing next to the player name. That combined with the "master rank" comment seems to hint at private/semi-invisible ranks.

Numbers next to your name is an online peen measuring shit show.

I mean, if your good enough to get to 50 chances are your not gonna care that everyone sees that number on your name.

Reaching 50 will be motivation enough for me to play competitively and try to get better.

Not so I can show complete strangers how good I am at halo before the match starts.

Halo CE didn't have ranks (albeit due to no online) but that didn't make people play less competitive than usual.

Numbers on your name is akin to the cod ranks system, it's there to show off. Where on reality most people don't really care about randoms seeing your rank for 15 seconds in the pre game lobby

tootsi666

Numbers next to your name is an online peen measuring shit show.

I mean, if your good enough to get to 50 chances are your not gonna care that everyone sees that number on your name.

Reaching 50 will be motivation enough for me to play competitively and try to get better.

Not so I can show complete strangers how good I am at halo before the match starts.

Halo CE didn't have ranks (albeit due to no online) but that didn't make people play less competitive than usual.

Numbers on your name is akin to the cod ranks system, it's there to show off. Where on reality most people don't really care about randoms seeing your rank for 15 seconds in the pre game lobby
This
Ranked playlists are great because then you will play against players of your skill level, not because they provide a way to show everyone how great you are.

AlStrong

343 artists seem to have a problem with not liking color contrasts. It's like they pick a color and make EVERYTHING shades of it.

It's like some sick joke for making it easier for people to remember maps instead of remembering the names. "The blue map!" "The green one!" etc.

:(

jem0208

Playing through a covy environment. Look how CLEAN and good that looks. Compared to this hazy mess we're gonna get.

halo5midship.png

H4-Infinity.png

video%20games%20desert%20halo%20master%20chief%20warthog%20mammoth%20halo%204%20campaign%20marines%20marine%202560x1440%20wal_www.animalhi.com_99.jpg
Halo 4 (in the campaign at least) made up for the pretty monochrome environments with the really fantastic contrasting colours of the enemies. At least in my opinion.

In the jungle there the contrast between the Prometheans and the green is fantastic. I thought it looked amazing.

Is it me or does this look pretty bad?

I'm going to have to agree. The skybox/backdrop just looks... bad.

DJ Gunner

Look at the UI screenshot which only has the player's rank displayed in a separate part of the screen and nothing next to the player name. That combined with the "master rank" comment seems to hint at private/semi-invisible ranks.

I still think you are confusing the master rank comment context. No Master Rank is a good thing. One rank across all playlists/games would suck, frankly. That doesn't mean something somewhere won't display your highest rank achieved. If what this boils down to (and i suspect it will) is that you can only see others' ranks when you click on their names, seriously- who cares? After what we've been given for ranks since 2010, could one click really be a point of contention?

dwells

This
Ranked playlists are great because then you will play against players of your skill level, not because they provide a way to show everyone how great you are.

Except that if the ranks aren't visible, no one gives a damn about them. See Halo Reach for example.

People like their ranks being visible to others. No one would bother buying a nice suit if no one else could see it.

Tawpgun

Why is Cortana wearing a suit though?

plmxQTz.png

#gamergate

But in all seriousness its strange they didnt try and update the H2A in game model to be modeled after the blur CGI one. H2A one is more faithful to H2 Cortana but Blur one seems to be kind of like a hybrid of her haircut in Halo 1 to Halo 2.

dwells

I still think you are confusing the master rank comment context. No Master Rank is a good thing. One rank across all playlists/games would suck, frankly. That doesn't mean something somewhere won't display your highest rank achieved. If what this boils down to (and i suspect it will) is that you can only see others' ranks when you click on their names, seriously- who cares? After what we've been given for ranks since 2010, could one click really be a point of contention?

As long as they're visible one way or another, I guess. But I think the Halo 2 approach would be the best bet. Show the current playlist rank next to the player's name, and show their highest rank on their player card/highlighted name.

I'm just worried. Every game since Halo 2 where they've messed with the ranking system they've made it worse.

tootsi666

Except that if the ranks aren't visible, no one gives a damn about them. See Halo Reach for example.

People like their ranks being visible to others. No one would bother buying a nice suit if no one else could see it.
Your rank will be visible to you. It's likely that most players in your lobby have (almost) same rank as you.

HTupolev

In some ways the H2A visuals are remarkably faithful compared with CEA; now it's mostly down to lighting and material properties. For instance, what immediately stands out regarding High Charity is that the surfaces are have a stronger specular response and the lighting is harsher and more directional. The original is soft and muted by comparison.

The appearance is surprisingly similar in a thumbnail jpeg, but the feel is still quite different on a large scale.

Interesting.

Not sure if like.

Looks like in H2A graphics High Charity loses some of its scale. Backdrop makes it seem a lot smaller than what it looks like in the OG version
Welcome to 343i Anniversary games.

dwells

How? 1-50 is back, reach had no 1-50. Why do others have to see your rank?
Reach had something similar to a 1-50, except that number resided on the matchmaking server and you couldn't see it. Since players knew no one else saw their rank and they couldn't see it either, they didn't care what the invisible number on the server said. So even in ranked games you'd get plenty of people quitting or just not caring. That didn't happen nearly as much in higher or even medium ranked games of Halo 2 where your public rank was on the line.

Equating a good suit to your halo rank
kttcoliscusthov

It's obviously not the same thing, but it's a similar concept. I'm just saying that people obviously care about how they appear to others. I wouldn't bother getting my suits tailored if I knew no one was ever going to see them.

Looks like in H2A graphics High Charity loses some of its scale. Backdrop makes it seem a lot smaller than what it looks like in the OG version

There were some problems with scale in CEA too, such as the Truth and Reconciliation in the sky at the beginning of its mission.

Madness

halo5midship.png

H4-Infinity.png

Been saying that for a while. Very little contrasting colors. Pick one primary color, make everything a shade of it. Add a tiny filter as well.

As for ranks, obviously they're not going to show them like that. They didn't even want them in h4 and I remember Frank disparaging ranks as "e-peen",but at least we get them in-game as opposed to having them on apps or waypoint. As long as I can see my rank and then look at others and see what they are all in game, it's better than nothing.

Top Bottom