• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

HTupolev

From the Gamersyde thread:

vlcsnap-2014-10-29-10reiyc.png

wat

Welfare

What about this:

+1 for a win
-1 for a loss
-1 for quitting while losing
0 for quitting while winning

You should get a negative point for quitting no matter what. Hell, besides having a connection drop, you should just lose a point for quitting while you're winning for being a dumbass.

Eoin

People want the flawed option over no option. That's obvious, and I agree.

But why not improve the flawed option instead of just having one or the other?

I've no problem with them improving ranks. Making everyone's ranks invisible however, just makes them pointless. It's like leaderboards. I don't care what my score is, I care what my score is in comparison to my friends and others.

Ugh a reminder of how dumb this cutscene was in the context of the story.

Lasky reunited with chief after seeing him last time when he was a kid. After chief saved his life.

But never mind that. How about fucking EVERYONE not giving a shit the goddamn master chief is alive but somehow on the same planet we're exploring? The hero of humanity.

Poorly handled. Where's my goddamn fanfare.
That cutscene in Halo 3 of MC walking through the hangar (or base?) while we hear Marines chatter. "It's a Spartan!" etc.
I remember the problem not having a ranking system caused and it was far, far worse. Apathy.

CliQ

Ugh a reminder of how dumb this cutscene was in the context of the story.

Lasky reunited with chief after seeing him last time when he was a kid. After chief saved his life.

But never mind that. How about fucking EVERYONE not giving a shit the goddamn master chief is alive but somehow on the same planet we're exploring? The hero of humanity.

Poorly handled. Where's my goddamn fanfare.

This is really a good point.

You should get a negative point for quitting no matter what. Hell, besides having a connection drop, you should just lose a point for quitting while you're winning for being a dumbass.

The rationale was that the likelihood of someone quitting whilst winning for an exploitative manner is considerably lower than dropping out or legitimately having to quit. Plus, a winning team losing a player might result in a more even game.

Competitive multiplayer is an e-peen contest; you're playing against other players to beat them in an online simulation and you feel good when you do. Whats the point of having ranks if they aren't going to be visible to everyone? If it's merely for matchmaking, then why even bother to show them to anyone?

My favorite thing about Halo 3 was going into the lobby, seeing that people in the game were higher levels than me, and knowing i was going to have to play smarter and better in order to win and beat them, because I wanted to prove that I was better than them. It felt really good when you beat someone several levels higher than them.

Trey

I never minded the UNSC forces not rapturously blowing Chief when they run into him. I kind of liked the business as usual approach Halo 4 took.

My favorite thing about Halo 3 was going into the lobby, seeing that people in the game were higher levels than me, and knowing i was going to have to play smarter and better in order to win and beat them, because I wanted to prove that I was better than them. It felt really good when you beat someone several levels higher than them.
Did you get the same feeling when you trashed a level 18 who bought a level 50 account?

dwells

But YOU can see it. People gave no fucks about rank in Halo 2 as well. People quit and deranked all the time (repeated suicides etc).

You can see your rank, the people who care about ranks will still play to the end and try and win to increase their ranks. Look at all the cheating that happened when people could see each others ranks.

Halo 3 was worse. Having Jackasses sell level 50 accounts. And even bigger Jackasses buying level 50 accounts and having people boost their accounts.

Visible ranks makes more problems than it solves. Having it visible to the player solves some of this and is a much better solution than what Reach did.

People did care about rank, a lot. Any time spent playing at higher levels showed that. No one quit a 4v4 game of 40s/symbols. Nobody. People fought tooth and nail for those ranks.

Yes, people caring so much about their ranks contributed to cheating. But the fault lay with Bungie's seeming inability to appropriately respond to that cheating, not with the ranks themselves. With dedicated servers, network manipulation is no longer an issue, so that cheating is out. The Xbox One wraps all its content in .xvd containers which are signed, so modifying game data is out of the question as well.

Halo 3's ranking system was a joke, as the 50s meant nothing. I sucked at Halo 3 and barely played it, but I had 50s in multiple playlists.

Did you get the same feeling when you trashed a level 18 who bought a level 50 account?
But the thing you and those who think like this never realize is if someone bought their 50, what are the chances they're going to play on it? Unlikely.

Either way, say they played, showed off their 50 and get dominated, then why does that bother you? Does that really warrant not having visible ranks? So in either scenario, that's a terrible argument when trying to support no visible ranks IMO.

This is the reality for many people.

Impala26

mm... I'm trying to imagine Palmer fangirling MC. :p

How that scene would've been made better without changing it much:

Palmer (utter surprise, looking chief over): Holy hell... I thought they were seeing ghosts or something... but it really is you, isn't it?

(pauses, a smirk forming)

Hmm... thought you'd be taller.

There FTFY 343! lol

People did care about rank, a lot. Any time spent playing at higher levels showed that. No one quit a 4v4 game of 40s/symbols. Nobody. People fought tooth and nail for those ranks.

Yes, people caring so much about their ranks contributed to cheating. But the fault lay with Bungie's seeming inability to appropriately respond to that cheating, not with the ranks themselves. With dedicated servers, network manipulation is no longer an issue, so that cheating is out. The Xbox One wraps all its content in .xvd containers which are signed, so modifying game data is out of the question as well.

Halo 3's ranking system was a joke, as the 50s meant nothing. I sucked at Halo 3 and barely played it, but I had 50s in multiple playlists.

Good post, but the bolded is incorrect.

I played numerous high level TS games where people quit and deranked and all that shit. Which in turn lead to losing matches and was bug annoyance.

I cared about my Halo 2 rank. And having that happen was a pain in the ass, and hopefully ita something they can solve for Halo 5.

Although I see no solution to people being asses online.

There's always going to be people who slip through the cracks. For me, removing visible ranks for other people ruins the competitive of the game for me. Why should I care about winning when only I can see my ranks and I can't prove to other people how good I am at the game?

With dedicated servers, network manipulation is no longer an issue, so that cheating is out..

Network manipulation absolutely could be an issue depending on how they handle things like minimum packet rate, network smoothing factors like predictive animations, and ping equalization should they choose to employ something like that.

No visible ranks for every one to see is upsetting, especially since they are bringing back the symbols. What I want to know is how do they handle this situation?

Random guy A is a legit lvl 48
Random guy B is a legit lvl 50 but has deranked to lvl 30 or is using an alternate account.
Random guy B is also partied up with Random guy A with the intent to draw in lesser skilled players to boost his buddy.

I'm a legit lvl 45 and enter matchmaking and im lucky enough to get grouped against these guys. What are my team mates lvl's?

Halo 3 handled this terribly to where I eventually grew tired of the game. Halo 3 would place team mates of lvl 38-42 on my team thus making the match unfair. It sounds like whining I know but the amount of times it has happened eventually drove me crazy.There was an obvious flaw in how this was handled.

jem0208

Allow people to rejoin matches they've dropped out of. If they don't reconnect within X amount of minutes they get a quit penalty.

If your internet goes down that's kinda annoying though.

I think the best system would be you get a penalty if you have multiple quits within a certain time frame.

Having a quit or two a week shouldn't penalise you. Maybe something similar to the way Reach did it except instead of a ban you get a penalty.

But the thing you and those who think like this never realize is if someone bought their 50, what are the chances they're going to play on it? Unlikely.

Either way, say they played, showed off their 50 and get dominated, then why does that bother you? Does that really warrant not having visible ranks? So in either scenario, that's a terrible argument when trying to support no visible ranks IMO.

This is the reality for many people.

It doesn't bother me. But playing high level and having someone on your team who bought the account and sucked was a reality that occurred now and then.

I'm for having visible ranks over nothing at all.

I'd prefer a new better system however.

I've highlighted the negatives of the system, not just that one situation. Feel free to propose an alternative.

Or just do what you usually do and post a gif or quote someone who agrees with you and add a full stop.
There's always going to be people who slip through the cracks. For me, removing visible ranks for other people ruins the competitive of the game for me. Why should I care about winning when only I can see my ranks and I can't prove to other people how good I am at the game?
I agree with you. I'm trying to open the discussion and find an even better alternative though. Something with less drawbacks.

I loved getting better and seeing my rank increase.

I'm actually not fussed about other people seeing my rank. I played to get my rank up for my own personal achievement. Not so someone I don't know went oh look he's 45 but because I am 45 I don't really give a damn!

Satisfaction for me comes in grinding those levels out and performing well each game. The only downside to this is if guys are ranked much higher than you it would be nice to see in the postgame what the levels were so you know if you did really well or crushed some unfortunate low levels who got matched up with you.

That way people won't quit out before starting a match. Won't we also get player profiles on some kind of Halo Waypoint so you can brag about it that way if you really need to?

It doesn't bother me. But playing high level and having someone on your team who bought the account and sucked was a reality that occurred now and then.

I'm for having visible ranks over nothing at all.

I'd prefer a new better system however.

I've highlighted the negatives of the system, not just that one situation. Feel free to propose an alternative.

Or just do what you usually do and post a gif or quote someone who agrees with you and add a full stop.

I agree with you. I'm trying to open the discussion and find an even better alternative though. Something with less drawbacks.

I loved getting better and seeing my rank increase.

Maybe start having some sort of qualification system in place? Say, you're a level 50, and all of a sudden you start playing far below your skill level, after X amount of games, the game starts to start deranking you vastly until it gets to the appropriate skill level you're playing at.

It's not really compatible with the Halo 2 system, since it would have to include variables beyond just W/L, but it's something, I suppose.

dwells

I played a lot of Halo 2. As in months worth of total hours played. Not once did I see anyone quit out (barring when the other team was cheating) in 4v4 TS matches where everyone was at a 40+. Even at mid-low levels (31 - 37), seeing players quitting in team of four vs. team of four matches was an extremely uncommon occurrence.

Network manipulation absolutely could be an issue depending on how they handle things like minimum packet rate, network smoothing factors like predictive animations, and ping equalization should they choose to employ something like that.

Client-side network manipulation, aka "secondary standby," was largely ineffective in Halo 2 following the 1.1 patch. You'd get pushed to blue screen or lag out of the game within seconds of failing to ACK the host. By the 1.5 patch, it was completely useless.

I know some of you guys aren't a fan of the remastered buildings in High Charity, but I love it. Makes the place seem more alive, considering this is suppose to be the home of the Covenant. Hell, I cannot wait for that entire level.

I know some of you guys aren't a fan of the remastered buildings in High Charity, but I love it. Makes the place seem more alive, considering this is suppose to be the home of the Covenant. Hell, I cannot wait for that entire level.

I love the look of them, I just think they're a little too tall or bunched up (maybe both).

Madness

Wait we can't see other people's ranks at all in game? Or just on the base menu? If I click their name and service record in game I expect to see their ranks for playlists, otherwise it'll be no different than CSR in halo 4 which was all but useless.

Ideally you'd like to see everyone rank on the playlist in the lobby itself, without having to click their names.

Mix

OOps yeah I meant lose xp for losing.

Main point is you should get even lower of a loss for quitting. Maybe you can get quit forgiveness once a day or even fewer. But 2 quits in a certain time frame should be a hit to your XP

oh yeah, if you quit a game, you should lose a lot of XP. it's bullshit to just quit like that. I've never quit even if it's 4 on 1 and the score is 40 to 15

Has Frankie/343 said whether or not there is going to be a cinematics viewer in the game?

So I can watch the cutscenes without having to play through the missions again?

Top Bottom