• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Cow

Ranks have to be visible in lobby, exactly like they were in halo 2. When will this be confirmed or denied?

Nit pick time:

Those infection forms, are they strangling Mercy?
That's.. not right, right?

Perhaps it just looks a bit weird in that scene, but I remember it latching onto Mercy's neck and in a sense "biting" him.

Assuming that is still the case, I guess the infection forms behaviour is closer to a facehugger's, with it's death grip tendrils. Not exactly unfitting or surprising for a series so influenced by Alien.

dwells

There are... I'm fairly certain Digital Foundry will have an analysis sometime if you want to scrutinize further.

Oh for the love of god. I should have known better than to hope it'd be fixed when I saw framerate drops in the various campaign footage they release.

"Enjoy all the Halo games, all at 1080p and 60 frames a second!"

Except then it turns out the campaign is less than 70% of 1080p, and now we're finding out the framerate stutters and can't hold 60FPS.

Nit pick time:

Those infection forms, are they strangling Mercy?
That's.. not right, right?

Perhaps it just looks a bit weird in that scene, but I remember it latching onto Mercy's neck and in a sense "biting" him.

Assuming that is still the case, I guess the infection forms behaviour is closer to a facehugger's, with it's death grip tendrils. Not exactly unfitting or surprising for a series so influenced by Alien.

My thoughts were maybe Flood Infection forms are a bit like jellyfish in the sense that their tendrils have barbs that release flood spores into the blood stream, and the jugular is the most efficient place for it.

darthbob

A couple of small, but noticeable issues I found with H3.

First, the Chapter text appears to be low res.

rvr2IgF.png

Second, the HUD overlay isn't bound to the screen resolution correctly.

FuVKfAw.jpg

REALLY minor nitpicks.

AlStrong

It doesn't feel like slowdown, it's too regular.

hm... wonder if it's a frame-pacing issue. I'm sure it was a bit of a technical hurdle to change a number of engine bits to allow for 60Hz update (Bungie would have had no reason to code for it).

Oh for the love of god. I should have known better than to hope it'd be fixed when I saw framerate drops in the various campaign footage they release.

*shrug* Keep your expectations in check I guess... The footage here is mostly ok (was mainly viewing the 540p60 just to avoid playback issues on my comp though).

"Fett appeared to be reacting to stimuli that did not exist, suggesting that sarlacc were capable not only of communication, but apparently of malevolence, feeding off of the fears of their prisoners."

"It was also believed that the consciousnesses of the sarlacc's victims joined to create a huge network of awareness. The victims were able to communicate with one another through this ghoulish network. As the sarlacc absorbed the thoughts of its victims, it would become more and more intelligent"

"The fibrous vessels in the stomachs connected victims together. The digestive fluids and the sarlacc's blood traveled through the vessels and into the victims, which were connected in the manner of an electrical current, bringing the victim's minds, thoughts, bodies, and spirits together, keeping them at one with the sarlacc's body, brain, and soul. "

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sarlacc#Semi-sentience

what is the excuse for these ~10 year old games not working perfectly on our new $500 vidya boxes?

seriously what reason is there that they couldn't fix the framerate issues? i know the game isn't out, but every single time a new Halo product releases there are all these derpy little nitpicky issues that seem like oversights on behalf of the dev team

defghik

Watching Sik's stream, it looks like the Carbine ROF is twice that of the Xbox version - Halo 2 Vista had the same problem. My guess is that the rate of fire is tied to the framerate, but they never bothered to fix it for 60 fps.

The multiplayer footage seems to show the same thing, which is a major problem - the Carbine is notoriously overpowered in H2 Vista multiplayer.

AlStrong

I haven't seen those yet, but I really hope that's not the case. CEA not even having a stable framerate would be really disappointing.

The cut-scenes are worse from what I can tell (maybe there's something crazy about syncing animation/framerate/sound/scripts etc). The engine just wasn't built around 60Hz.

danwarb

hm... wonder if it's a frame-pacing issue. I'm sure it was a bit of a technical hurdle to change a number of engine bits to allow for 60Hz update (Bungie would have had no reason to code for it).

*shrug* Keep your expectations in check I guess... The footage here is mostly ok (was mainly viewing the 540p60 just to avoid playback issues on my comp though).

I've just downloaded the Halo 3 environment video and the stuttering I saw is gone. It looks completely smooth. 'Twas steaming issues. I'll try some of the others.

Nowise10

1: Have US media people gotten their review copies yet?
2: Are achievements disabled when you have OP skulls on like the Scarab Skull?

Watching Sik's stream, it looks like the Carbine ROF is twice that of the Xbox version - Halo 2 Vista had the same problem. My guess is that the rate of fire is tied to the framerate, but they never bothered to fix it for 60 fps.

shit is gonna be godlike online, fuck the BR

what is the excuse for these ~10 year old games not working perfectly on our new $500 vidya boxes?

seriously what reason is there that they couldn't fix the framerate issues? i know the game isn't out, but every single time a new Halo product releases there are all these derpy little nitpicky issues that seem like oversights on behalf of the dev team

Skype barely works. I'm not sure.

HTupolev

Halo CE fans are impossible to please. 3 bad ports and they're still not happy!

The cut-scenes are worse from what I can tell (maybe there's something crazy about syncing animation/framerate/sound/scripts etc). The engine just wasn't built around 60Hz.
From the GamerSyde thread:
Sorry to say this is not a capture issue. Also the cutscenes animations are 30 fps, including camera motion, but rendered at 60, so it looks all strange and jerky.

dwells

The multiplayer footage seems to show the same thing, which is a major problem - the Carbine is notoriously overpowered in H2 Vista multiplayer.

Yeah, they're using frame-based timing logic. It shocks me that they didn't fix this. Whether they simply didn't notice (really?) or couldn't be bothered to fix it, I honestly think it reflects negatively either way.

I feel the same way. People seem really eager to overlook these things since the bundle is a great deal and has a lot of content, and I agree with those statements. But I don't think it excuses sloppiness.

It's hard to take vidocs and such seriously where they talk about this being a "grand love letter to all those fans," but then release something which has framerate issues in a port three year old of a remake of a thirteen year old game, despite running on a console supposedly ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360 and immeasurably more powerful than the original Xbox.

Things like the above issues (darthbob's post about HUD not lining up, text low res) are also irritating. No, they're not game breaking, and no, they're not a huge deal. But it's sloppy for them to be there. These are the types of things that people who release free texture packs for emulators take the time to fix. But a studio doing a paid port of what is practically their own game can't put in the effort to resolve it before it goes out to reviewers? Sorry, but that just strikes me as sloppy.

I really hate to be so negative, but as a fan of the series, it really does bother me that somethings seem to be treated so haphazardly.

danwarb

I don't remember Halo PC behaving like that. Animations were 30fps, but camera movement was still smooth for cutscenes?

I have a terrible memory for this. Halo PC has the same juddering 30fps cutscenes.

can anyone with the review copy confirm if we are able to mix & match armour pieces in Halo 3/4, or if we're just stuck using the preset full armour sets that were shown in the IGN live stream?

danwarb

:) Fair enough. Probably gonna have to wait for the frame-by-frame analysis just to remove playback issues like that.
All of the gamersyde gameplay videos appear smooth at least, when downloaded. I can't spot a hiccup.

Scratch that. CE is juddery, but Halo 3 and H2A are fine.

can anyone with the review copy confirm if we are able to mix & match armour pieces in Halo 3/4, or if we're just stuck using the preset full armour sets that were shown in the IGN live stream?

The multiplayer content hasn't come out yet so we don't know for sure, but the smart money is on no mix/matching.

dwells

A couple of small, but noticeable issues I found with H3.

First, the Chapter text appears to be low res.

rvr2IgF.png

Literally took me thirty seconds to do on my work computer while on a call. I'd love to hear why 343i couldn't have done the same thing and made a new text texture to overlay.

avSy8s6.jpg

Fuchsdh

My thoughts were maybe Flood Infection forms are a bit like jellyfish in the sense that their tendrils have barbs that release flood spores into the blood stream, and the jugular is the most efficient place for it.

I think it's a concession to the graphics. In the original Mercy was essentially getting dug into with its tentacles--that would be horribly graphic with the fidelity Blur was bringing (not to mention I didn't see how Mercy could have still be conscious and still resisting by the time the Chief sauntered on down to him, seeing as how the Infection form was just going to town.

I think with the remastered graphics they just made it so that the Infection form has wrapped itself around his neck to pull Mercy closer. It still infects the good ole' way.

AlStrong

All of the gamersyde gameplay videos appear smooth at least, when downloaded. I can't spot a hiccup.

Scratch that. CE is juddery, but Halo 3 and H2A are fine.

hmmm... yeah, just went through some bits in the gameplay 2 vid for H3 (finally downloaded). Looked ok too.

Strange. The 540p60 vid didn't look right.

:)

Top Bottom