• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

It's because of the perspective. With the RTS camera pulled way back (comparatively), making a recognizable design requires a fair bit of exaggeration.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s14776/xbox_360_12327360367968.jpg

But Halo Wars used very low detail models for Elites, which bared little to no resemblance of those early Elite renders everyone always mentions.

I dislike the Halo Wars design because it seems to be trying hard for a menacing look, whereas these H2A designs seem to bring in the best from all worlds, so far. I like for my Elites to look formidable, yet intelligent as hell. 343's Elites in Halo 4 seemed to really lose touch with that.

even i dont think it was ruined. maybe tilted a bit odd but not ruined.

When Rag calls you out for being too salty...

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s14776/xbox_360_12327360367968.jpg

But Halo Wars used very low detail models for Elites, which bared little to no resemblance of those early Elite renders everyone always mentions.

I dislike the Halo Wars design because it seems to be trying hard for a menacing look, whereas these H2A designs seem to bring in the best from all worlds, so far. I like for my Elites to look formidable, yet intelligent as hell. 343's Elites in Halo 4 seemed to really lose touch with that.

I'm inclined to agree. Still, on the low detail issue, that's more of a technical consideration. It's a 360 game, after all.

Blueblur1

Ruined in the sense that looks like they made little effort to (1) design it so it matches the rest of Halo 3 HUD UI and (2) place it properly on-screen with the rest of the UI.

It looks rather awful and was something that already looked niced and meshed with the rest of game (including multiplayer UI).

Maybe my original post sounds harsh but for something like Halo I only expect the best out of Microsoft and its entities.

Omni

What the fuck did they do to Cortana

That's horrible. They can't be serious with that design. I like her look in the cutscenes but in-game has to be some kind of joke. The old version looks so much better

Booshka

h877947DF

More like Halo Custom Edition, seeing as how it's the PC port and all.

What the fuck did they do to Cortana

That's horrible. They can't be serious with that design. I like her look in the cutscenes but in-game has to be some kind of joke. The old version looks so much better

WTH.

I watched the gameplay footage and she looks fine... Sure the screenshot isn't the best people are posting, but go watch in game.

Why does every woman in a game have to have a skinny neck, tiny waste, ample space between thighs etc.

Maybe I don't understand everyones' complaints, but I seriously don't get this one.

One of my first times ever popping in here. I'm assuming there's already been tons of Halo 5 discussion? What do you guys think of it? Of course i'm extremely excited for the MCC, but in a way, i'm more excited/curious about Halo 5. I feel like since 343 has been working so hard with the core Halo games, it no doubt helped them get a good understanding at what made Halo games good. I absolutely love the approach they're taking with Halo 5.

I was excited for Halo 4 when it was coming out, but I couldn't exactly be "Halo" excited, because, well, the multiplayer didn't have the core Halo "charm" to it. I'd argue that it had it's own though, and I did still have fun with the game. Halo 5 is definitely bringing me that "Halo" excitement that I got with Halo 2 and 3.

Also, i'm not super big on the campaigns. I remember them being extremely fun with friends, but I just never really played it alone. Also it was hard to get my friends together to play it so it didn't happen often. Would you guys say the Halo 4 campaign gameplay wise was weaker than other Halos?

One of my first times ever popping in here. I'm assuming there's already been tons of Halo 5 discussion? What do you guys think of it? Of course i'm extremely excited for the MCC, but in a way, i'm more excited/curious about Halo 5. I feel like since 343 has been working so hard with the core Halo games, it no doubt helped them get a good understanding at what made Halo games good. I absolutely love the approach they're taking with Halo 5.

I was excited for Halo 4 when it was coming out, but I couldn't exactly be "Halo" excited, because, well, the multiplayer didn't have the core Halo "charm" to it. I'd argue that it had it's own though, and I did still have fun with the game. Halo 5 is definitely bringing me that "Halo" excitement that I got with Halo 2 and 3.

Also, i'm not super big on the campaigns. I remember them being extremely fun with friends, but I just never really played it alone. Also it was hard to get my friends together to play it so it didn't happen often. Would you guys say the Halo 4 campaign gameplay wise was weaker than other Halos?

How? they have revealed next to nothing. objectively how are you getting excitement from essentially no information?

Pfhunkie

More like Halo Custom Edition, seeing as how it's the PC port and all.
First off, it's still Combat Evolved even though it's on the platform that apparently doesn't count according to most Halo fans for some reason and second, the thing that made Custom Edition unique from Combat Evolved was that it had custom maps hence the name so that statement is wrong on multiple levels.

HTupolev

One of my first times ever popping in here. I'm assuming there's already been tons of Halo 5 discussion? What do you guys think of it?
There's not that much to go on. Obviously there's been plenty of discussion of what we hope it's like, as always. Hard to get excited about something that's barely been discussed or shown, though.

Of course i'm extremely excited for the MCC, but in a way, i'm more excited/curious about Halo 5. I feel like since 343 has been working so hard with the core Halo games
Heh, the large number of studios that the work has been outsourced to have certainly been working hard with the core Halo games...

Would you guys say the Halo 4 campaign gameplay wise was weaker than other Halos?
I would say by far, but obviously that isn't unanimous.

Omni

WTH.

I watched the gameplay footage and she looks fine... Sure the screenshot isn't the best people are posting, but go watch in game.

Why does every woman in a game have to have a skinny neck, tiny waste, ample space between thighs etc.

Maybe I don't understand everyones' complaints, but I seriously don't get this one.

Her body proportions aren't all that different to the original. I don't care about that. But look at her head and neck. It's like her head is too big and half her neck is missing. And her actual face really does look like a man.

and then you have the model's shader itself. Which just looks worse than the original.

How? they have revealed next to nothing. objectively how are you getting excitement from essentially no information?

He is probably referring to the information they have already revealed. They have given us snippets and teases of the campaign and direction of multiplayer. If they follow through on their declared focus and goals it is indeed very exciting so far.

Good job at being welcoming Ragnarok. As usual.

danwarb

WTH.

Yes. It's not like she has her eyebrows taped together in a persistent rictus of sad/concerned face like Halo 4.

He is probably referring to the information they have already revealed. They have given us snippets and teases of the campaign and direction of multiplayer.

Good job at being welcoming Ragnarok. As usual.

Im not trying to flame the guy, im legitimately interested how someone can be hyped with little to no real information about the game.

and saying 343 has worked on core halo... that is a different story

lol Ragnarok forgot how to interact with human beings. He's been living in a salt mine for ages, give the dude a break.
First off, it's still Combat Evolved even though it's on the platform that apparently doesn't count according to most Halo fans for some reason and second, the thing that made Custom Edition unique from Combat Evolved was that it had custom maps hence the name so that statement is wrong on multiple levels.
Son'd.

Im not trying to flame the guy, im legitimately interested how someone can be hyped with little to no real information about the game.

and saying 343 has worked on core halo... that is a different story

Lets see here:
--Multiplayer beta in MCC
--Focus on arena gameplay
--Focus on competitive balance (hiring pros to provide feedback, integrated E-Sports in Halo Channel)
--Halo 5 reveal trailer is intriguing (Is that Mendicant bias that pops out of the sand? Can the robot return Cortana back to normal?)
--Halo lore and background information morsels.
--Certain Affinity admitting MCC will provide a good barometer of what direction to maybe take Halo 5

Sure, hardly concrete facts, but nothing really is until a game is released (we learned that from Halo 4). After Halo 4, hearing the above things gets a nerd pumped--I included.

From what I remember, 343 said they were going back to the roots and focusing on smaller scale combat/maps with Halo 5. That combined with the fact that they've no doubt learned a lot about what made the core Halo games so great while working on the MCC is reason enough for me to get excited.

I dunno how many of you noticed this but on the inside where you put in the battery pack the controller says HELLO FROM SEATTLE.

Yea mind blowned.

HTupolev

Just checked out the Gamersyde footage.

I've now seen it in motion in a high-quality video.

I still think the model looks extremely weird. "Better in motion" or "bad angle" doesn't really seem to apply here.

Lets see here:
--Multiplayer beta in MCC
announced with a cg trailer that showed sprint, ground pound and cover.
--Focus on arena gameplay
this is yet to be seen.
--Focus on competitive balance (hiring pros to provide feedback, integrated E-Sports in Halo Channel)
the competitive community and 343 have very different ideas on what competitive is, and they didnt use the word 'Balance' once
--Halo 5 reveal trailer is intriguing (Is that Mendicant bias that pops out of the sand? Can the robot return Cortana back to normal?)
and they announced that the trailer had NOTHING to do with the game, straight from Stinkles mouth
--Halo lore and background information morsels.
The way they handled lore integration in H4...
--Certain Affinity admitting MCC will provide a good barometer of what direction to maybe take Halo 5
outsourcing maps or mp to another company...
Sure, hardly concrete facts, but nothing really is until a game is released (we learned that from Halo 4). After Halo 4, hearing the above things gets a nerd pumped--I included.
After they denied things that were in h4, and the game informer article that essentially showed they lied...

Bold for responses

Fuchsdh

Something I haven't seen noted, but the teleportation effect has undergone a pretty radical change--Chief pops out of a portal a la Halo 4 instead of the ringed transporter effect.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I dunno how many of you noticed this but on the inside where you put in the battery pack the controller says HELLO FROM SEATTLE.

Yea mind blowned.

Can confirm. Just opened mine up.
It's right next to MADE IN CHINA

screw you dan

Her body proportions aren't all that different to the original. I don't care about that. But look at her head and neck. It's like her head is too big and half her neck is missing. And her actual face really does look like a man.

and then you have the model's shader itself. Which just looks worse than the original.

I took these from different gameplay... it just depends on the angle. In her "bad" screenshots, she is tilting her head down, compressing or hiding her neck. Pretty normal looking to me... IMO

Here is some "better pictures." I think everyone's complaints are a bit over the top (I know I'm only responding to you about this).

Head tilted downward:
Lp4XpmX.png

More upright/normal position:
AsSI9YE.png

From what I remember, 343 said they were going back to the roots and focusing on smaller scale combat/maps with Halo 5. That combined with the fact that they've no doubt learned a lot about what made the core Halo games so great while working on the MCC is reason enough for me to get excited.
Yeah same here. TP 2.0 plz.

Something I haven't seen noted, but the teleportation effect has undergone a pretty radical change--Chief pops out of a portal a la Halo 4 instead of the ringed transporter effect.

so when he gets teleported in H2A its going to be the portal rather than the concentric rings? why even change that?

My personal main problem with Halo 4 at least was how there was less of a focus of controlling power weapons on the map. I liked having set weapons in set locations. Also, I never had much a problem with armor abilities. We don't know if they will work like pickups (ala Halo 3) or like Halo Reach yet though.

Bold for responses

Guess you didn't read that I just said, "I know these are not concrete facts." It's what they have revealed to us. Sure, not all devs stick to their words/promises, but it's not entirely unreasonable for a fan to be excited about a game that the very developers describe to us. It's our only source of solid info...sooooo let us be excited.

Halo 5 beta MP reveal:
--focus on arena gameplay
--Fair starts
--Weapon control
--Map control
--Mentioning "competitive gameplay", harkening back to the Halo classics.

They all say this to try to appease the fan base, because they know we were unimpressed with Halo 4 MP. Who's to say, sprint, dash, boost, and spartan ground slam can't be balanced or competitive?

Guess you didn't read that I just said, "I know these are not concrete facts." It's what they have revealed to us.

Halo 5 beta MP reveal:
saying those words mean nothing without proof
--Fair starts
they thought the loadouts in 4 were "fair"
--Weapon control
--Map control
--Mentioning "competitive gameplay", harkening back to the Halo classics.

They all say this to try to appease the fan base, because they know we were unimpressed with Halo 4 MP. Who's to say, sprint, dash, boost, and spartan ground slam can't be balanced or competitive?

But w/e dude.

apparently you dont read ANY post on why shit like that is bad for competitive play.

Guess you didn't read that I just said, "I know these are not concrete facts." It's what they have revealed to us.

Halo 5 beta MP reveal:
--Fair starts
--Weapon control
--Map control

Yup. This is the stuff that got me hyped. To whoever asked about "roots," this is what I was referring to for the most part.

My personal main problem with Halo 4 at least was how there was less of a focus of controlling power weapons on the map. I liked having set weapons in set locations. Also, I never had much a problem with armor abilities. We don't know if they will work like pickups (ala Halo 3) or like Halo Reach yet though.
It's said to be as a feature. Like dual wielding or boarding a vehicle.

apparently you don't read ANY post on why shit like that is bad for competitive play.

Sure I have. I'm also not devoid of opening up to possibilities. I want classic competitive gameplay as bad as you do, I'm sure. I'm also able to be open and see what happens.

And if the campaign trailer was confirmed to not be truly a part of Halo 5, who is to say that the MP CG trailer is to be taken seriously?

Apparently you are devoid of speaking kindly and tactfully to people, including newcomers who are just excited about a game we all love.

HTupolev

It's said to be as a feature. Like dual wielding or boarding a vehicle.
So this was confirmed? What exactly do you mean when you say that though? It's a loadout type deal or special pickups?
It's confirmed by Frankie awhile ago
My head is spinning.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Good god Kangaroo Flames, chill out.

As sure as I will probably spend the most time in Halo 1 and 2 in the MCC MP

^_^
I don't get how you can prefer those games and be okay with all those things being in Halo 5. Like, sure, they could work, but history isn't exactly encouraging.

Top Bottom