• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Random17

That reminds me; not only does Halo 2 have the best soundtrack, but it also uses its soundtrack the most effectively during gameplay.

Halo CE is not short of good tracks. The problem is that music tracks are often sparsely spaced apart, especially in longer missions like AotCR where stuff like Rock Anthem to Save the Universe would play and then stop. It is an awesome track, but everytime I play that mission it feels out of place since IIRC it plays during one of those random and barely distinguishable rooms.

I feel that Halo 3 is somewhat similar with good tracks playing over inappropriate times, or were simply out of place for what was happening on screen. I'm not saying that this is always the case, but a few examples like this contribute to the overall impression. There are a number of examples that suggest otherwise in both games (Covenant Dance in CE, the two Scarabs battle etc).

Halo 2 is completely different. Playing through missions like Gravemind and High Charity with the perfect suites to go with them, in beautiful environments while the Covenant is tearing itself apart... I don't think moments like that can be topped outside of a cutscene.

Other examples include Peril in Delta Halo, etc. Even some of the (arguably) more disliked tracks, like those from Incubus, actually suited the combat well. I vividly remember the Banshee fight in the Arbiter with that guitar music in the background.

You can have good soundtracks but the best Halo missions use them in the most effective way to build up an atmosphere. Halo 2, while imperfect, is simply the master of that strategy, IMO.

This is also why I don't judge soundtrack samples too harshly until I see them in action. I still don't like parts of the new Gungrir Mix, but it just feels better when it plays in the background of Halo 2 related action.

IHaveIce

Banned
What do people think of this U.I design? (Not made by me, it is from the fan game Project Contigency.) They were silent for awhile but released some info on the fan game. Not sure how long the game is gonna last before a cease & desist, but I like the UI design.

Link
Man they have balls to try to get a selfmade game with official assets from MS out

Random17

Watching a stream now, it appears as if Brutes fire the Carbine faster due to 60FPS.

That makes vanilla Legendary that much harder, if true. The Carbine is absolutely devastating when used against the player.

Madness

Going to be normal or heroic only for me. I don't have the ability/skill or patience to do legendary anymore. Might do it with those pre-order skulls on just for fun though.

tootsi666

Watching a stream now, it appears as if Brutes fire the Carbine faster due to 60FPS.

That makes vanilla Legendary that much harder, if true. The Carbine is absolutely devastating when used against the player.
Didn't frankie say it'll be fixed in the 20gb update?

-Ryn

Banned
Forge looks incredible! I can't wait to see what the community comes up with. Here's hoping Halo 5 brings even more to the table in Forge and theater. Those Blur cutscenes are beautiful as well. The wait for this game is killing me.

WTH.

I watched the gameplay footage and she looks fine... Sure the screenshot isn't the best people are posting, but go watch in game.

Why does every woman in a game have to have a skinny neck, tiny waste, ample space between thighs etc.

Maybe I don't understand everyones' complaints, but I seriously don't get this one.
Dude. Don't make this about gender issues in gaming. It isn't.

All anyone has been saying is that she looks weird because she does. Her proportions are off on her body as well as her face. We can say this because we have reference material of what she is supposed to look like. And isn't a new character therefore the thing about all women in games having to be this or that doesn't apply.

On another note regarding Cortanas H2A in game look; anyone notice they gave her data panties? Or is that something else entirely...

That was my first thought as well.
I remember coming across these guys a while back. Good to see they are still going. If I reca correctly they are trying to adapt the Fall of Reach novel. I hope they succeed.

Active Camo and Overshield are the two power ups. You are saying if you play passively, you get rewarded with a weaker version of a power up. That is what I am suggesting too, not a full overshield, just a slight overshield.
Sorry I misunderstood your intent.
Though I don't know that an over shield in any form would be a good idea as a passive ability.

TheOddOne

O'Conner is losing his minds.

kttcolisitdown

-Ryn

Banned
I really hope Halo 5's water is good. If 343 can nail it maybe we will finally see the return of the glory that is water physics. I suppose it might be a bit much to hope for manipulating/creating water as well in Forge to create stuff like waterfalls though. That'd be crazy for any game.

Remaking the Legend - Halo 2: Anniversary Documentary on Fri., Oct. 31

- Friday, Oct. 31 at 11 am PST/2 pm EST

Got my days/time zones mixed up though, it's still one day away.

t1414778400z4.png
Radical. I didn't even know about this.

Akai__

There are multiple streamers, who say the terminal videos in Halo 2 are NOT in-game. It appareantly makes you launch the Halo Channel app. Huge bummer, if true. :(

There are multiple streamers, who say the terminal videos in Halo 2 are NOT in-game. It appareantly makes you launch the Halo Channel app. Huge bummer, if true. :(

App switching on Xbox one is pretty good. Shouldn't be a huge issue if it's done well.

Really looking forward to that documentary.

I'll presume it'll feature on the Halo Channel once it's aired.

Yeah, Nov. 11 when Halo Channel goes live.

ElRenoRaven

I really hope Halo 5's water is good. If 343 can nail it maybe we will finally see the return of the glory that is water physics. I suppose it might be a bit much to hope for manipulating/creating water as well in Forge to create stuff like waterfalls though. That'd be crazy for any game.

Radical. I didn't even know about this.

Same here. I need to mark my calendar.

App switching on Xbox one is pretty good. Shouldn't be a huge issue if it's done well.

Yeah, Nov. 11 when Halo Channel goes live.

Yea that still sucks ass though. You should not have to switch apps to see them. I mean what about johnny redneckbeard who lives in the middle of nowhere without anything but dialup? He won't be able to see them. It's the same issue I had with them in Halo 4.

dwells

Thanks. Figured I'd use it till MCC launch and beyond. Still has the seahawks in the visor. I saved it when I saw it, along with a few others, so whoever had made it, thanks again!

Glad you like it, you're welcome!

so does 343 just hate the color purple or what

I mean, it wasn't the best movie, not a great fit for Spielberg's talents, but eh

Yeah, I really don't understand it. I always liked the purple since it was a unique choice and helped define the game's aesthetic. Seems strange to take years of canon where everything's purple and then suddenly change it to blue because blue is more next-gen or whatever.

Deal with it.

QqB8vUd.jpg

<3

Oh sweet Jesus no.

Anyways, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the DF analysis on this package.

<3 DF. It's nice seeing in-depth discussion of rendering and lighting techniques, post-processing, etc. They really get into the details, and I love when they talk to devs who are excited to discuss it as well. As someone who use to do software development, I really love seeing that stuff.

Same here. I need to mark my calendar.

Yea that still sucks ass though. You should not have to switch apps to see them. I mean what about johnny redneckbeard who lives in the middle of nowhere without anything but dialup? He won't be able to see them. It's the same issue I had with them in Halo 4.

Well it would either be added to the already massive 20GB day one CU, or be streamed from within the game. Obviously I personally would prefer to have it on disc, but there was likely not too much they could do about it.

ElRenoRaven

Well it would either be added to the already massive 20GB day one CU, or be streamed from within the game. Obviously I personally would prefer to have it on disc, but there was likely not too much they could do about it.

True. I'd say at least stream them within the game. It just kind of takes you out of the game when it switches to another app to view them.

Going to be normal or heroic only for me. I don't have the ability/skill or patience to do legendary anymore. Might do it with those pre-order skulls on just for fun though.

I'm going to test myself, just not right away. Get acclimatized first, play on Heroic.

I just hope the Sniper Jackals are better visible now. :lol

jem0208

So no different than CEA's terminals. That sucks.

It'll be no where near as bad as with CEA. Watch the vid then instantly switch back to the game.

No closing the game down, waiting for Waypoint to load, watching the video, closing waypoint down, waiting for the game to load etc.

You might even be able to watch it snapped.

It'll be no where near as bad as with CEA. Watch the vid then instantly switch back to the game.

No closing the game down, waiting for Waypoint to load, watching the video, closing waypoint down, waiting for the game to load etc.

You might even be able to watch it snapped.

Yeah, I think it'll just open the app real quick, should be pretty good.

dwells

@franklez twitter said:
Dwells, it's fine to criticize, but PLEASE stop trying to project intent or malice into things you don't like. It's ridiculous.

Apparently I upset Frankie. My intent wasn't to "project intent or malice" when criticizing the ranking system reveal yesterday, nor was it because of "things I didn't like." My irritation stems from us previously being told we're getting the same setup as Halo 2, then the only information we get shows us something different. Admittedly I jumped the gun on some of the inferences I made based on the latest information we've seen.

That said, fans are ultimately left to conjecture when we're being fed information about major parts of the game piecemeal through exclusive IGN updates. Piecemeal information that includes a screenshot they were cleared to release that is apparently from an old build, despite the game having gone gold and being days from release.

I guess I'm just used to the Halo 2/Bungie days of delivering information to fans. They certainly weren't transparent, but there was a lot more communication.

For the record, I understand that I can come across as harsh in criticizing things. But know that the criticism is rooted in a deep-seated love for the franchise. From the moment I played my first multiplayer match of Halo CE, I started scraping together my money to buy an Xbox. I left work Tuesday to purchase an Xbox One (a console I was otherwise uninterested in) solely for Master Chief Collection.

Halo is far and away the most passionate I've ever been about a franchise. I just want to see Halo be the best Halo it can be.

Madness

I'm going to test myself, just not right away. Get acclimatized first, play on Heroic.

I just hope the Sniper Jackals are better visible now. :lol

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Might just forgo Heroic altogether, do normal first to get back into the story, memorize what enemies come, where, etc. And then just do a legendary run through. Sniper alley should hopefully be easier now with updated graphics. I think Halo 4 legendary will be brutal though. I never did it. Was tough enough playing Heroic missions against the Prometheans.

Apparently I upset Frankie. My intent wasn't to "project intent or malice" when criticizing the ranking system reveal yesterday, nor was it because of "things I didn't like." My irritation stems from us previously being told we're getting the same setup as Halo 2, then the only information we get shows us something different. Admittedly I jumped the gun on some of the inferences I made based on the latest information we've seen.

That said, fans are ultimately left to conjecture when we're being fed information about major parts of the game piecemeal through exclusive IGN updates. Piecemeal information that includes a screenshot they were cleared to release that is apparently from an old build, despite the game having gone gold and being days from release.

I guess I'm just used to the Halo 2/Bungie days of delivering information to fans. They certainly weren't transparent, but there was a lot more communication.

For the record, I understand that I can come across as harsh in criticizing things. But know that the criticism is rooted in a deep-seated love for the franchise. From the moment I played my first multiplayer match of Halo CE, I started scraping together my money to buy an Xbox. I left work Tuesday to purchase an Xbox One (a console I was otherwise uninterested in) solely for Master Chief Collection.

Halo is far and away the most passionate I've ever been about a franchise. I just want to see Halo be the best Halo it can be.

This. So much this.

Top Bottom