• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Mindwipe

Sorry for dragging this up after ten pages, I'd missed the reply.

Forgot about the librarian part. My Halo 4 lore is weak as I have only played that campaign twice. There could be a backup, and I wonder if the plan with Halsey could have been to do some sort of cyber therapy on Cortana to fix her.

I am struggling to remember a reason from the books or other wise that Halsey would have the means to fix cortana though. She was head of a genetic engineering/augmentation program, not AI design... Get her to sneak Cortana into the ONI workload or something? Just make a new AI from Halsey again? I don't see this really going anywhere that makes sense.

There isn't a reason from the books - fixing a rampant AI is impossible.

It's a line from the Halo 4 campaign, which came out of nowhere. Cortanta said that Halsey could fix her in person by making a copy of her neural net.

343 DO have an out here though, making it not technically a retcon - previous mentions of fixing rampant AIs being impossible could be explained because no known cannon AI has ever had their original donor brain still be alive before. Halsey illegally flash cloned herself to create Cortana. So 343 can handwave previous statements away, as it was "impossible" without that.

We also know there are at least two more flash cloned Halsey brains in storage by Oni, which could be used to create another Cortana. So 343 have several outs for Cortana's death. However, I'd suggest the Librarian and using the living Halsey are the most likely ones, as they're the outs that 343 integrated into Halo 4's plot, rather than ones that only exist in (relatively) obscure printed lore from Bungie/Nylund.

I just saw the documentary.

It is funny as a Spaniard I can't relate to the beginning, the 'multiplayer revolution', we were playing LAN and online many years before Halo/Halo2.

And the hype on release, we just get a call from the clerk a few days before the release date: 'yo, we just got Halo 2, you can come and pick it up', never made a line for a game.

Halo: CE was my first Halo and I played it a bunch. That being said, Halo 2 is what made me fall in love with this franchise. Halo 2 was my first midnight launch. Halo 2 was my first steel case collector's edition. Halo 2 was my first experience with Xbox LIVE, a platform that helped me reach my current position creating parts of this very same universe.

I'm just a cog in the Halo universe and sometimes the negativity and nasty comments directed at my work and the work of my co-workers can get me down. But there are moments that allow me to step back and realize how lucky I am to be able to create stuff that millions of people around the world will experience. Worlds and places that help folks escape from the problems and concerns of day to day life. To form lasting friendships and connections with others around the world. Heck, I still have people on my friends list that I met randomly in those early days of Halo 2 on Xbox LIVE. That right there is the magic of gaming.

Just think that the negativity and nasty comments (usually) come from people who truly care about the franchise.

Except for Ragnarok, he's just a dick.

I kid because I love.

Karl2177

HaloGAF Customs should be returning to a healthy turnout, for at least until the new year.

Even ignoring Forge, the amount of levels to select is pretty darn insane. Still wrapping my head around it.

Thank god there's a huge selection of maps. It's going to be nice when we can load up an entire custom session and not have to play stuff like NASCAR just to have fun.

JaggedSac

Couple quick questions? Is the bug with the digital MCC fixed? The one where it keeps redownloading the same stuff over again (or was this ever a thing, lol)?

Also, is the 20gb patch available for download as well? I am asking because Comcast has a data cap on my plan and I have 50gb left for the month. If the patch isn't there I will go ahead and plop it in this months data so I don't have to next month.

jem0208

Couple quick questions? Is the bug with the digital MCC fixed? The one where it keeps redownloading the same stuff over again (or was this ever a thing, lol)?

Also, is the 20gb patch available for download as well? I am asking because Comcast has a data cap on my plan and I have 50gb left for the month. If the patch isn't there I will go ahead and plop it in this months data so I don't have to next month.

Don't think the patch is out yet.

I certainly haven't downloaded it.

ElRenoRaven

So yea 343 you know this documentary you made. MAKE MORE OF THEM! This is the shit I love. Make documentaries like this for every damn Halo game you make. Bungie should do this too for their games. I'd have loved one like this for Destiny. I swear if I had the skills I'd so get into documenting games like this. I just love love love a good in depth making of. Granted this one was somewhat in depth but not even to the level I'd love to see. I am interested in Halo 5 more now though with Locke info they kind of dropped. Really want to see where that thread goes.

Now all that said. I do have to say I agree that some people here can be a bit too harsh at times. I don't think 343 folks sit there and went boy let's screw up Halo. I don't. We have to remember that these folks are coming in and trying to make the game they think Halo should be. Most of them were just fans like us too. They just had a different opinion of what they wanted Halo to be. They still do deserve respect though. Well most of them. You can make how you feel known without being insulting. Hell I have issues with Halo 4. I still think it was a great game though. It just wasn't a great Halo game. It's not the total piece of shit some here make it out to be though.

So yea 343 you know this documentary you made. MAKE MORE OF THEM! This is the shit I love. Make documentaries like this for every damn Halo game you make. Bungie should do this too for their games. I'd have loved one like this for Destiny. I swear if I had the skills I'd so get into documenting games like this. I just love love love a good in depth making of. Granted this one was somewhat in depth but not even to the level I'd love to see. I am interested in Halo 5 more now though with Locke info they kind of dropped. Really want to see where that thread goes.

I agree with making of documentaries. They don't have to be before release or even at the release of the game. Make it all after the game launches and give it a few months with a retrospective on the game and how it was received or something.

I love this behind the scenes stuff. It is a lot of fun to watch.

Friday night at 11 pm is indeed super dumb and had bo forethought kittens really out sone thought when the tourney should be placed.
with your tine you made sure almost only US people will be able to play.

Also seems like you can't handle the heat. So I will from now on be nicer to you, and I meant HaloGAF customs in the sense of the group that did them for Halo 4 I don't think that is elitism, I just know these handled them well.

Now calm down.

Nice that probably will be better times.

Sorry I'l make sure to host some sessions at 8am-10am US Central so that the folks across the pond can play. (As a matter of fact, I work graveyard shift, so times that are good for Eurozone are good for me too, interestingly enough).

You do realize it's nearly impossible to pick a time that works for both US and UK/Euro folks right? Maybe 3-4pm US central which would be 9-10pm (approx) UK, but then most folks in the US still couldn't join in because they'd all be at work and whatnot.

Yes, my session is at 11pm US Central. That doesn't make it dumb. Like I said, it's hard to please both groups, but just because it doesn't work for one or the other doesn't make it dumb. It just means it doesn't work for you, personally. There's a big difference between saying something doesn't work for you and outright insulting it when no such need exists. I'm perfectly calm, just perfectly not ok with attitudes like that.

Still watching the documentary; love the sound making stuff. I like the new direction they're going with the sword sound. Making it more musical ties in nicely with the sword's crystalline appearance, thematically speaking.

nillapuddin

VGL (a year ago~) when I went was a massive disappointment

They were like, now typically, we always play Halo music (crowd loses its shit), but there's a new game being made by Bungie, (desyiny at this point was nothing but an E3 reveal) and we'd like to treat yall to that

*insert 10 minutes of destiny music I had heard once, had no connection to, that had no videos to show during, it was just awful*

The crowd was chanting "Halo, Halo, Halo.." and we never got it. My girlfriend looked like she wanted to cry at the end, I asked her what was wrong she said, "the whole reason I bought you these tickets were because I knew you would love to hear Halo so much"

I told her at the time it was okay.

It wasn't okay you heartless asshole tallarico

How many of us in HaloGAF are from the Great land of Britain?

Friday night at 11 pm is indeed super dumb and had bo forethought kittens really out sone thought when the tourney should be placed.
with your tine you made sure almost only US people will be able to play.

Also seems like you can't handle the heat. So I will from now on be nicer to you, and I meant HaloGAF customs in the sense of the group that did them for Halo 4 I don't think that is elitism, I just know these handled them well.

Now calm down.

Nice that probably will be better times.

I'd be up for it.

If any of the British Legion of HaloGAF want to add me, please feel free.

Also, if you want some more friends on Xbox, with opportunities to attend UK based LAN Parties etc, head over to omgeurope.net. We're a relatively small community, we all met playing Halo (although we play lots of other stuff to nowadays) but they're all really good guys who isn't afraid of anything.

The LANs that are thrown are an excellent perk of joining in there. :) And the customs for Halo will regular and plentiful.

Omni

This is a real dick comment mate, even if you don't like a game or development/design choices to say the developers aren't passionate or putting in blood sweat and tears is complete bullshit on your part.

No doubt that they worked hard on the game. Most developers do. My point was that they said similar things during the development of CEA and then a year later gave us Halo 4. And I honestly don't know how you can claim to be a fan of and care about a series when you're trying to turn it into something its not (literally CoD).

Now Halo 5 has a real opportunity to be good, but excuse me if I don't watch that documentary and suddenly think that 343i is the best studio in the world that knows how to handle Halo. Because the one chance that they had to make a Halo game that wasn't tired to "Anniversary" and they screwed it up big time.

/negativity.

I get I've been salty lately. I really shouldn't be. Been going through some personal issues and whatnot and perhaps I've been channelling it here too. So I will try to be more positive, because despite everything I am very excited to play this collection and as a whole everyone involved has done a wonderful job.

No doubt that they worked hard on the game. Most developers do. My point was that they said similar things during the development of CEA and then a year later gave us Halo 4. And I honestly don't know how you can claim to be a fan of and care about a series when you're trying to turn it into something its not (literally CoD).

Now Halo 5 has a real opportunity to be good, but excuse me if I don't watch that documentary and suddenly think that 343i is the best studio in the world that knows how to handle Halo. Because the one chance that they had to make a Halo game that wasn't tired to "Anniversary" and they screwed it up big time.

/negativity.

I get I've been salty lately. I really shouldn't be. Been going through some personal issues and whatnot and perhaps I've been channelling it here too. So I will try to be more positive, because despite everything I am very excited to play this collection and as a whole everyone involved has done a wonderful job.

I have a serious question for you HaloGaffers. I have been thinking about Halo 4, and despite all of the things we really dislike I still had some genuinely great moments in campaign and multiplayer alike.

Do you, or whoever reads this, think that Halo 5 could be good as long as they got rid of loadouts, instant spawns, infinity weapon drops etc, but kept sprint? Now I know that's a huge issue for many (even including myself), but I am willing to entertain the idea. Sprint has become such an integral part of the FPS video game landscape that I have a hard time believing 343 will remove it for us old-school fans. I think we have an awfully good argument to be made on how sprint ruins a lot of things, but I'm also willing to see it be used well. I do enjoy the speed boost it provides and it feels energetic, not to mention it makes sense within the lore that spartans can really hoof it.

The thing is, what made Halo so interesting is partially what it restricted you with. It wasn't uber fast like Quake or Unreal Tournament and you were limited to carrying 2 weapons. That made Halo feel like Halo...not just super soldiers with shields. It hurts to even consider Halo again with sprint, but honestly if a lot of the issues were taken away besides that, I could see myself maybe playing Halo 4 more today.

This is my proposal: Adopt a Counter-Strike "tagging" system. What could occur is that when a spartan is shot while sprinting he/she slows down. Depending on the weapon he slows down even more (sniper/grenade you come to almost a complete stop). I think this could be truly balanced because when sprinting you must lower your weapon. When getting shot and still sprinting you are effectively useless. This would prevent people from just running around and doing hit and run tactics, sprinting with melee etc. Sprint would simply be a method of quicker transportation that has it's proper risks. No longer would people be able to flee when they get one shot or eat a grenade...Also, it would help if sprinting wasn't immediate, but it took a second to get into full speed.

Hope your personal issues are resolved randomrosso. PM me if you need to vent.

I have a serious question for you HaloGaffers.

I think it could be good, but I still want Sprint gone. While having a serious slowdown on getting hit makes it more bearable, it still weakens map design. If you want more energetic gameplay, upping the base movement speed and adding default thruster pack/ double jump seems to me the better way to go.

I'm not nearly as bitter as some around here, tho.

tootsi666

This is my proposal: Adopt a Counter-Strike "flinch" system. What could occur is that when a spartan is shot while sprinting he/she slows down. Depending on the weapon he slows down even more (sniper/grenade you come to almost a complete stop). I think this could be truly balanced because when sprinting you must lower your weapon. When getting shot and still sprinting you are effectively useless. This would prevent people from just running around and doing hit and run tactics, sprinting with melee etc. Sprint would simply be a method of quicker transportation that has it's proper risks. No longer would people be able to flee when they get one shot or eat a grenade...
I hope they remove sprint, but if they keep sprint, tagging (that's what it's called) to all weapons wouldn't be a terrible idea. It would just be better without sprint and limiting tagging to plasma weapons.
Edit: Small slow effect was already in Halo 4 when shot, but it should be increased a lot.

So 343 threw in team black to get slaughtered in the comics that way we know it won't be them. A new fireteam with Locke as leader to hunt whats his face john?

This gunna be good mang. Oni Spartans vs. Blue Team.

CliQ

So is anyone on HaloGaf going to be hosting custom game nights when MCC launches? I love capture the flag and would love to either host or join a CTF customs group a few nights a week.

Don't get me wrong I will be in the competitive hunt to reach rank 50 but I love playing customs with a the same group of people every week too. I feel like playing with the same group every week builds some great moments and rivalries that can't be captured the same way matchmaking works.

Impala26

(snip)

This is my proposal: Adopt a Counter-Strike "tagging" system. What could occur is that when a spartan is shot while sprinting he/she slows down. Depending on the weapon he slows down even more (sniper/grenade you come to almost a complete stop). I think this could be truly balanced because when sprinting you must lower your weapon. When getting shot and still sprinting you are effectively useless. This would prevent people from just running around and doing hit and run tactics, sprinting with melee etc. Sprint would simply be a method of quicker transportation that has it's proper risks. No longer would people be able to flee when they get one shot or eat a grenade...

This was done decently in Reach, but 343 really needed to either maintain the flinch while sprinting drawback or INCREASE it, rather than allowing players to shrug off all shots while sprinting in Halo 4. I also agree with you that the heavier the weapon the more the person should be flinched/slowed, at least minutely.

Regarding plasma flinching, the two greatest things I've missed since CE have been:
1) CE Pistol
2) Plasma Flinching

I'm all onboard the Plasma Flinch Train to come back in any form for future Halo's!

Impala26

So is anyone on HaloGaf going to be hosting custom game nights when MCC launches? I love capture the flag and would love to either host or join a CTF customs group a few nights a week.

Don't get me wrong I will be in the competitive hunt to reach rank 50 but I love playing customs with a the same group of people every week too. I feel like playing with the same group every week builds some great moments and rivalries that can't be captured the same way matchmaking works.

Rocket CTF on Bloodline/Coagulation anyone? :-D

This was done decently in Reach, but 343 really needed to either maintain the flinch while sprinting drawback or INCREASE it, rather than allowing players to shrug off all shots while sprinting in Halo 4. I also agree with you that the heavier the weapon the more the person should be flinched/slowed, at least minutely.

Regarding plasma flinching, the two greatest things I've missed since CE have been:
1) CE Pistol
2) Plasma Flinching

I'm all onboard the Plasma Flinch Train to come back in any form for future Halo's!

Yes exactly, the flinching, or "tagging" as tootsi666 corrected me, would increase with the weapon that you are shot with. A grenade/sniper would knock you completely out of sprint, you would have to raise your weapon back up and wait a base amount of time before you could sprint again. Essentially, behind the scenes in the code there would be a certain amount of percentage/damage you would have to receive before being stopped completely while sprinting. Getting shot with a carbine wouldn't be devestating, but after a few shots you are slowed down considerably.

This would make sprinting not viable all the time. It would be a calculated decision and accepting of the risks that if you try to run across/between cover, you might end up getting stopped dead in your tracks. Strafing in and out and "walking/running" at normal base player speed would be the more viable option almost all the time.

I feel like this might be a good way to allow Halo to adopt sprint without totally killing it's core arena map design. Sure, the maps might need to be stretched out a little more (something the new Midship seems to be going for) to compensate for sprint, but the core classic feel of strafing and importance of weapon and map control would still be in full spin.

Top Bottom