• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Booshka

Gonna sell my 1200 dollar PC so I can watch the Halo 2 Remaking video all crisp and clean on my new Xbox One All In One Entertainment System.

I even tried Internet Explorer of all browsers.

-Ryn

Banned
I just actually finished it up.

Halo really is a big part of some of our lives. I don't think even the saltiest of people here would be here if it wasn't for what Halo became and that's really cool and really special.

It doesn't matter what your first Halo game was, CE, 2, 3, Reach, 4, Wars,or ODST even, it doesn't matter, what matters is that you found something you loved so much that you decided to make it something that you carried through with you for the rest of your life, or for at least some of us, ten plus years.

I remember being freakin' 6 years old standing in a line at a tiny little Gamestop in Allen, TX with my cousin Alex instead of at home asleep like a responsible babysitter would have had me do. Instead we waiting until like 12:30 in the morning to pick up an Xbox with Project Gotham and this Halo game and we played it for days, him and me. Halo has literally been in my life for as long as I can remember and that's why I'm here on this forum is to talk to you nerds and talk shit and put up with it in return and to slrp hard when I'm excited and bitch and moan when I'm frustrated with something.

Whatever it might be, I'm excited for what 343 continues to bring to the table, it can only get better from here.

10 days left, guys.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Halo has had an immeasurable impact on my life. I look forward to seeing your OT dude.

I love all you guys and I can't wait to play this kickass collection with you.
Cheers

ivvyxte73aFhE.gif
Dude. Dude.
That is hilarious

Really hoping for a few more participants for customs the Friday after launch:

From the LAN parties/customs thread:

Upcoming customs lobbies sessions date/times (PM organizer to join session):

Session 1: Friday, November 14th, 2014 Start time: 11pm US Central time
-----Organizer gamertag: LifeExpectancy
-----Maps/modes: Halo2 4v4 CTF and Deathmatch, Halo 3 8v8 objective/deathmatch variants, possibly some Shaolin Rockets (custom gametype), we'll try to balance the skill levels on the teams so it isn't overly one-sided and generally have fun
-----Participants: LifeExpectancy, ForsakenKidx

darthbob

Wish I wasn't so excited for this collection. I don't even have an Xbox One and won't have one for the forseeable future.

This'll be the first Halo game that I won't get to play on it's release date in 10 years. :(

Madness

Wish I wasn't so excited for this collection. I don't even have an Xbox One and won't have one for the forseeable future.

This'll be the first Halo game that I won't get to play on it's release date in 10 years. :(

I know the feeling. How out of your reach is a console right now? Only because there are a lot of great deals on right now. I mean it's crazy, less than 11 months from launch, and I got a brand new white Xbox One, for essentially 199+tax. I know that's not chump change or cheap necessarily, but compared to what I spent on Xbox 360 it's been a steal.

Believe me, I didn't even want an Xbox One, but there was just no way I would miss the launch months of MCC or the Halo 5 beta.

IHaveIce

Banned

-----Maps/modes: Halo2 4v4 CTF and Deathmatch, Halo 3 8v8 objective/deathmatch variants, possibly some Shaolin Rockets (custom gametype), we'll try to balance the skill levels on the teams so it isn't overly one-sided and generally have fun
The times are just super dumb. I don't want to play something weird like shaolin rockets, haloGAF customs are better.

Also can't watch the documentary

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I gotta say, this way of formatting information is really weird to me. I see it and I immediately want to scroll past.

I find something like this a lot easier to read:

Upcoming customs lobby sessions (PM organizer to join session):

Friday, November 14th, 2014 - 11pm US Central Time
  • Organizer gamertag: LifeExpectancy
  • Maps/modes: Halo2 4v4 CTF and Deathmatch, Halo 3 8v8 objective/deathmatch variants, possibly some Shaolin Rockets (custom gametype), we'll try to balance the skill levels on the teams so it isn't overly one-sided and generally have fun
  • Participants: LifeExpectancy, ForsakenKidx
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I think it's cool that you're putting so much energy into getting customs going! I'll join whenever possible.

-Ryn

Banned

I know how you feel bro. I probably won't be able to get one until late November or early December. Major bummer.

They said similar things when they remade Halo CE. And then a year later they shovelled us Halo 4

It's all PR talk and buzzwords

This is a real dick comment mate, even if you don't like a game or development/design choices to say the developers aren't passionate or putting in blood sweat and tears is complete bullshit on your part.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is a real dick comment mate, even if you don't like a game or development/design choices to say the developers aren't passionate or putting in blood sweat and tears is complete bullshit on your part.
It's a gross oversimplification. "343 people praised CE and then made Halo 4, so they're manipulating us." C'monnnnnn. Yes, PR always sneaks its way between developer <--> audience, but that doesn't devalue the words of individual people within 343, nor does it mean that they didn't think they were handling Halo with care and passion with Halo 4.

darthbob

I know the feeling. How out of your reach is a console right now? Only because there are a lot of great deals on right now. I mean it's crazy, less than 11 months from launch, and I got a brand new white Xbox One, for essentially 199+tax. I know that's not chump change or cheap necessarily, but compared to what I spent on Xbox 360 it's been a steal.

Believe me, I didn't even want an Xbox One, but there was just no way I would miss the launch months of MCC or the Halo 5 beta.

It's fairly out of reach. I'm in between jobs at the moment. :(

It's a gross oversimplification. "343 people praised CE and then made Halo 4, so they're manipulating us." C'monnnnnn. Yes, PR always sneaks its way between developer <--> audience, but that doesn't devalue the words of individual people within 343, nor does it mean that they didn't think they were handling Halo with care and passion with Halo 4.

Well said, now to watch the remaking video...

Just started watching this doc and damn, Max already flipping the script on its head again by saying Halo actually started out on Windows before Mac.

There are times when I really enjoy reading the HaloGAF threads, and then there are times when some of the comments make me want to close my browser and never look at GAF again. Some of things said about 343i and Halo 4 on here really are bang out of order.....

Before you post, think "would I be comfortable sitting down in front of Frank & Co, face to face and saying what I'm about to type" - if the answer is no then take a minute and reword it, if the answer is yes then either your post is fair, polite and to the point or, you're a cunt.

-Ryn

Banned
There are times when I really enjoy reading the HaloGAF threads, and then there are times when some of the comments make me want to close my browser and never look at GAF again. Some of things said about 343i and Halo 4 on here really are bang out of order.....

Before you post, think "would I be comfortable sitting down in front of Frank & Co, face to face and saying what I'm about to type" - if the answer is no then take a minute and reword it, if the answer is yes then either your post is fair, polite and to the point or, you're a cunt.
Well that's a bit of a generalization now don't ya think?

IHaveIce

Banned

Personal insults are of course not okay, but I would be fine to say my honest opinion about Halo 4.
I once told a Bungie employee that I din't understand what happened with Reach at Gamescom.
Saying they are lazy or just don't care is also wrong, but in terms of Halo 4 I still stand by "They have no clue/ ignored what made Halo so brilliant"

And now sit in front of me and tell me I'm a cunt

Got the documentary all downloaded on mu Surface for my train journey into work, looking forward to it.

Halo has always been my favourite game series, ever since I played the demo of Silent Cartographer on the original Xbox.

When Halo 2 launched, I met some friends on Xbox Live and I'm still friends with those people to this day. There have been weddings, births, even sad to say a death amongst our crew, but we've been playing games, throwing LAN parties for nearly 10 years. And that is why I love Halo.

Madness - Already pointed out my own hypocrisy (am good that way) but sometimes I just feel folks need a reminder that real people work hard to create this franchise we all love, I get some people have issues with aspects of 4, direction etc but sometimes they over step the mark (IMO obviously) with the things they say. I suppose having been a mod (years ago) it's hard to switch it off at times.

That was an incredible documentary, very well presented, the execution was flawless and they knew the exact notes to hit on. Seriously, 343 is on their game and that little playout of the monks without interruption was on point. I could go on and on, but I'll stop myself; it was a great watch.

Really looking forward to Halo 5.

jem0208

Because 343 is a B tier incompetent studio that has outsourced most of the development of MCC to Sabre Interactive and Certain Affinity.

And it shows in everything from being too lazy to modify the splitscreen FoV to match the original Xbox to the awful stock city image thrown into the background of High Charity.

Because, you know, 90 percent of players won't notice, so therefore who cares!

Seriously?

Come on, there's a reason 343 is outsourcing this stuff. Halo 5 is only a year away and this is a huge project.

That was a really good documentary...

Madness

That was an incredible documentary, very well presented, the execution was flawless and they knew the exact notes to hit on. Seriously, 343 is on their game and that little playout of the monks without interruption was on point. I could go on and on, but I'll stop myself; it was a great watch.

Really looking forward to Halo 5.

Yeah it was really amazing. This is something I was dying to see. A sort of a behind the scenes type ViDoc and they knocked it out of the park with this. Just crazy seeing all the different cogs in the machine that make up this Master Chief Collection game. It's just crazy to think about it. Making sure everyone is on point with what they are responsible for.

Seeing all the ways Halo 2 impacted not only Halo fans but gamers as well. I still remember launch like it was yesterday and it's been ten years. Great work by 343 Industries. Whether or not the gameplay of Halo 5 is what I'd want is irrelevant to the fact that I'm certain they'll put their heart into making a great game.

The times are just super dumb. I don't want to play something weird like shaolin rockets, haloGAF customs are better.

Also can't watch the documentary

Times are super dumb? Because that particular session doesn't work for you, that makes it "dumb"? And shaolin rockets was only one possible suggestion, and likely the least of which we'd actually play, considering I mentioned default slayer and objective gametimes first and foremost, and said MAYBE the other thing. But way to be a negative nancy. jenniferlawrenceok.gif

PS - Also what exactly do you mean by haloGAF customs? Because by posting here in the haloGAF thread, and trying to get people for a customs lobby, that kinda makes it a haloGAF customs thing by default. Unless you're on some elitist kick about only certain people organizing these things or creating the gametypes for them. A customs night is merely a night people get together and play customs lobbies, whether or not they use default gametypes is irrelevant.

I gotta say, this way of formatting information is really weird to me. I see it and I immediately want to scroll past.

I find something like this a lot easier to read:

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I think it's cool that you're putting so much energy into getting customs going! I'll join whenever possible.

Thank you for the actual CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Would that more people understood how to respond like that.

I didn't see much of a difference between mine and yours though TBH. I mean where I used "---" you used the bulletin point. What's the shortcut key for that? I don't mind changing it if it's easier to read.

Edit - Changed the format for the sessions in that thread to be similar to what you suggested. It's easier to see the session itself amongst the rest of the text in the thread now. Let me know what you think. Although it may be an exercise in futility if members only give a damn when the elite few attempt to organize customs nights (not referring you you Kittens, your attitude is awesome).

I'm happy to host customs in Britainland for those wanting a smoother connection if you're this neck of the woods.(Dedicated servers or not, I don't know what it will be like yet - might be buttery smooth!)

IHaveIce

Banned
Times are super dumb? Because that particular session doesn't work for you, that makes it "dumb"? And shaolin rockets was only one possible suggestion, and likely the least of which we'd actually play, considering I mentioned default slayer and objective gametimes first and foremost, and said MAYBE the other thing. But way to be a negative nancy. jenniferlawrenceok.gif

PS - Also what exactly do you mean by haloGAF customs? Because by posting here in the haloGAF thread, and trying to get people for a customs lobby, that kinda makes it a haloGAF customs thing by default. Unless you're on some elitist kick about only certain people organizing these things or creating the gametypes for them. A customs night is merely a night people get together and play customs lobbies, whether or not they use default gametypes is irrelevant.

Thank you for the actual CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Would that more people understood how to respond like that.

I didn't see much of a difference between mine and yours though TBH. I mean where I used "---" you used the bulletin point. What's the shortcut key for that? I don't mind changing it if it's easier to read.

Edit - Changed the format for the sessions in that thread to be similar to what you suggested. It's easier to see the session itself amongst the rest of the text in the thread now. Let me know what you think. Although it may be an exercise in futility if members only give a damn when the elite few attempt to organize customs nights (not referring you you Kittens, your attitude is awesome).
Friday night at 11 pm is indeed super dumb and had bo forethought kittens really out sone thought when the tourney should be placed.
with your tine you made sure almost only US people will be able to play.

Also seems like you can't handle the heat. So I will from now on be nicer to you, and I meant HaloGAF customs in the sense of the group that did them for Halo 4 I don't think that is elitism, I just know these handled them well.

Now calm down.

I'm happy to host customs in Britainland for those wanting a smoother connection if you're this neck of the woods.(Dedicated servers or not, I don't know what it will be like yet - might be buttery smooth!)
Nice that probably will be better times.

jem0208

How many of us in HaloGAF are from the Great land of Britain?

This picture. From where? Somebody break up the embargo?

From the documentary.

Probably Blur cutscenes in H2A, maybe the epilogue.

MouldyK

How many of us in HaloGAF are from the Great land of Britain?

Me! -changes the flag of Buckingham Palace to wave the UNSC Flag for November 11th-

They said similar things when they remade Halo CE. And then a year later they shovelled us Halo 4

It's all PR talk and buzzwords

Man, such negativity!

I was just saying they are passionate and dedicated to their game. Now if this game is what the Halo Community as a whole wants is yet to be seen, but I am really interested in what they are passionate about.

It's like I said in the Bayo 1 Wii U thread about Hideki Kamiya: Sure he includes questionably dumb shit like cheap QTE deaths and weird camera movements, but you can tell he really loves video games of the past and he seems passionate about what he works on.

I don't have to like someone's views on something to like how passionate they are.

HaloGaf seems to have a nice balance of people being positive and negative though. Makes the place complete.

jem0208

God damn, playing as the monster in Evolve is absolutely amazing.

Some of the most exhilarating games I've ever played against randoms.

Halo needs a really cool asymmetrical mode. Invasion was alright but I think they could take it up a notch.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HaloGAF Customs should be returning to a healthy turnout, for at least until the new year.

Even ignoring Forge, the amount of levels to select is pretty darn insane. Still wrapping my head around it.

Literally haven't played good one flag in years.

How many of us in HaloGAF are from the Great land of Britain?.

Northern Ireland counts.... right? :p

Top Bottom