• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

BigShow36

I assume you mean it felt different beyond playing with a mouse and keyboard?

I played with a controller, and no, felt differently as in felt like the physics were slightly different. I could be wrong, as it's been a very long time. All I can see from those videos is that it looks more like a direct Halo PC port, not OG Halo CE.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Gaf! who's going digital or physical for this game :) i'm going all digital :D just got a 1TB drive and ready to use it for this baby :p

klodeckel

Banned
The medals in halo 4 were stupid as shit. They were pointless, too common, and difficult to distinguish from one another. Why add them in to an old game? Why add the good ol 343 dick stamp to an already perfect game?

And they received a lot of backlash for having them in halo 4. Going back and putting them in halo ce makes me nervous for Halo 5 because it means they haven't learned anything or listened to any constructive criticisms.

Holy fuck at this hyperbole. You are talking about optional 50*50 pixel .png pictures. Disable them if you don't like it. And drink a tea.

TheOddOne

kwGAUOR.gif
tumblr_mkwlbj0bh91s7c8hwo1_500_zps6605e80a.gif

What's the difference exactly?

I found this info on a thread elsewhere:
* No co-op (online/campaign)
* Missing shaders for certain models - shader_transparent_generic for Jackals' shields, c_field_Generators for the stationary shield model
* Missing bitmaps - multipurpose maps
* Broken blend modes - subsequently effects shaders
* Atmosphere effect - fogs

Some say the grenade arc felt slightly different, but who knows if that's true.

Apparently some of the graphical features were broken. People report that when you shot at jackal shields they didn't progressively change color until they broke like the Xbox did. I'm pretty sure they can fix these issues. They recently patched the PC version (oddly enough) this year and it fixed some problems such as the cloak was impossible to see (made enemies and players invisible).

They are obviously changing some things...the original PC had a "ping" sound when you landed a shot on an enemy. Was an audible "hitmarker" of sorts.

I found this info on a thread elsewhere:
* No co-op (online/campaign)
* Missing shaders for certain models - shader_transparent_generic for Jackals' shields, c_field_Generators for the stationary shield model
* Missing bitmaps - multipurpose maps
* Broken blend modes - subsequently effects shaders
* Atmosphere effect - fogs

Some say the grenade arc felt slightly different, but who knows if that's true.

Apparently some of the graphical features were broken. People report that when you shot at jackal shields they didn't progressively change color until they broke like the Xbox did. I'm pretty sure they can fix these issues. They recently patched the PC version (oddly enough) this year and it fixed some problems such as the cloak was impossible to see (made enemies and players invisible).

They are obviously changing some things...the original PC had a "ping" sound when you landed a shot on an enemy. Was an audible "hitmarker" of sorts.

#BringBackTheBlop

Impala26

Idk about you guys, but I tend to just tune out the medals when I'm actually playing, unless I know I just earned a tough one. Except I do like to know when I got a headshot, so I guess I pay attention to that one.

The total wank over the state of the medals is mind-boggling to me. I never paid too terribly much to them in the heat of battle anyway. Just gimme a Steitzer announcement and I'm good to go. I will say that the medals worked a little better in the kill feed though.

That's a shame, I hoped it would have those shine shaders intact. The PC version looks flat without them.

I truly don't understand this either. Why can't they enable that for the Xbox One? Would like to get feedback from 343 about that. A simple candid answer would be nice. It affects the look of the game without it.

If you look at the "classic" campaign in the Anniversary edition vs the original Xbox, the original Xbox looks far better. The "classic" is missing reflections and shaders in places, some LOD's dont look the same and fog/ambience particles don't appear the same either.

It's a shame.

I wonder where funknown's hands are right now.
I enjoyed the podcast :] Looking forward to more, and great job Ex. You're a solid fit as a podcast host. Don't get hyped though, biggy is the truth.
daedae's cool too
Yep, basically confirmed that it's based on the PC version - reflections and transparencies are just a little off in the same way, and it's got the objective mode icon in the corner. I wonder if that netcode was touched at all.
So it looks like we're getting Halo PC, not Halo CE.
Footage definitely culled my excitement a bit, but that's fine. Might have been those weird medals and 100% Halo PC confirmation even though we all knew it, and the radar.. ohhhh the radarrrr...... I'll reserve judgment until I shoot people and see how it handles online, but I love how they show your teammates' names under the friendly indicator; that's a nice improvement.

BigShow36

Footage definitely culled my excitement a bit, but that's fine. Might have been those weird medals and 100% Halo PC confirmation even though we all knew it, and the radar.. ohhhh the radarrrr...... I'll reserve judgment until I shoot people and see how it handles online, but I love how they show your teammates' names under the friendly indicator; that's a nice improvement.

Playing Halo CE online was literally the only selling point of this collection for me. Learning that it's Halo PC, not Halo CE as originally promised, is a bit upsetting. However, I came into this expecting something like that from the get-go, so I can't say I'm terribly surprised. I'll most likely pass on the collection if it's not true Halo CE gameplay.

Juan

What's the difference exactly?

I played both, with controller, and they were more of the same in term of gameplay.

The graphics look a bit different because some shadders are missing in Halo CE PC, light effects and fog were slightly differents, and the gameplay seemed to be a bit "heavier" on Xbox than the PC version.

The HUD for Halo CE from the MCC is the one from Halo CE Anniversary, not the actual one from Halo CE PC.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Playing Halo CE online was literally the only selling point of this collection for me. Learning that it's Halo PC, not Halo CE as originally promised, is a bit upsetting. However, I came into this expecting something like that from the get-go, so I can't say I'm terribly surprised. I'll most likely pass on the collection if it's not true Halo CE gameplay.

Serious question...what is the big hang up here with it being PC architecture and not original Xbox HCE? I'd love to know specific gameplay mechanics, situations, etc. Is it aesthetics? Like, I seriously do not understand the uproar with this.

BigShow36

Serious question...what is the big hang up here with it being PC architecture and not original Xbox HCE? I'd love to know specific gameplay mechanics, situations, etc. Is it aesthetics? Like, I seriously do not understand the uproar with this.

The game feels different, as far as I remember.

I'm not interested in any of the other terrible Halo games. The only reason I would buy this collection is to play Halo CE online, so getting that right is all I care about personally.

There are certainly visual differences, but the gameplay should be more or less exactly the same, especially since you are using a controller (obviously). No need to pass on it, the only differences are the change in graphical flare...That's dissapointing, although it's in 60fps and 1080p so it is a bump in that regard. I wouldn't pass on this because of those differences.

Would be interesting to see what a 343 employee would say to these differences and if they can be remedied.

BigShow36

There are certainly visual differences, but the gameplay should be more or less exactly the same, especially since you are using a controller (obviously). No need to pass on it, the only differences are the change in graphical flare...That's dissapointing, although it's in 60fps and 1080p so it is a bump in that regard. I wouldn't pass on this because of those differences.

Would be interesting to see what a 343 employee would say to these differences and if they can be remedied.

I hope you're right, but again, even slight differences in how the game feels is incredibly important. I'll most likely try the game out to see how it ultimately feels and plays, but right now I'm not terribly enthusiastic about the prospects. I just wish 343 would be honest with me from the start; don't tell me "Halo CE exactly as you remember it" when it's actually a Halo PC port.

Can you be more specific? Give an example.

I think Juan put it well above; the PC port feels "lighter." The physics don't seem to have the same gravity they do in the Xbox version. That's as good a way to put it as I can think of, and again I'm merely speaking from distant memory here.

jelly

Exactly, it ruins the look of the game. I still wonder why the PC version released in 2003 witohut those shaders.

7280476638_8970b67779.jpg

Nvidia quirk or something maybe.

I'm not a great fan of the reskin and reading that blog post about the Halo CE PC differences, 343 should have put more work in to get the Xbox parts back in.

Elites are so bad looking in CEA, fat short football gear bobble heads.

Sephzilla

I hope you're right, but again, even slight differences in how the game feels is incredibly important. I'll most likely try the game out to see how it ultimately feels and plays, but right now I'm not terribly enthusiastic about the prospects. I just wish 343 would be honest with me from the start; don't tell me "Halo CE exactly as you remember it" when it's actually a Halo PC port.

No disrespect intended but I think you're overblowing this quite a bit.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think Juan put it well above; the PC port feels "lighter." The physics don't seem to have the same gravity they do in the Xbox version. That's as good a way to put it as I can think of, and again I'm merely speaking from distant memory here.

Eh, I wouldn't be that worried then if that's really all it is.

I think people are creating too many hypotheticals in their minds and it's just causing unwarranted stress about it.

Can you be more specific? Give an example.
To be fair, the visual/audio differences can certainly make a huge difference. For example, a simple FOV tweak makes the game feel slower/faster depending on the adjustment, and that's without making changes to the actual gameplay.

Halo PC did feel very different, even with a controller. Problem is though that the controller settings weren't exactly as they were on console, so it felt different in that sense too. Couple that with the slider issues of 360 controllers on PC and welp, you have quite a poor experience compared to the console version. And that's not even taking online stability into account. This might be one of those "you have to play it first" situations to know for sure because we've already experienced what this game feels like and it's hard to tell just from watching short clips.

Speaking of which, when are we going to get some full multiplayer matches that aren't H2A? ;'[

TTUVAPOR

Banned
This post is crazy talk.

Believe it or not, Halo after Halo CE is garbage to many people.

I prefer HCE over Halo 2 any day of the week. Going from playing countless hours and LANs of HCE and then getting into H2 was a huge weirdness. H2 felt foreign for me. Duel-wielding? GTFO. No more scoped pistol? GTFO. No fall damage? GTFO. No health packs? GTFO.

Halo 2 was a completely different Halo game and not for the better...though it is significantly better than anything after it as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I prefer HCE over Halo 2 any day of the week. Going from playing countless hours and LANs of HCE and then getting into H2 was a huge weirdness. H2 felt foreign for me. Duel-wielding? GTFO. No more scoped pistol? GTFO. No fall damage? GTFO. No health packs? GTFO.

Halo 2 was a completely different Halo game and not for the better...though it is significantly better than anything after it as well.

Some people just must love the OP pistol so much that they can't play without it. :p

I love me some Halo CE MP, but it is most certainly not the best IMO.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Some people just must love the OP pistol so much that they can't play without it. :p

Different strokes for different folks. It's not just about the pistol...and can we please refrain from calling it OP.

See...your post clearly shows you don't know a damn thing about Halo CE. Any valid HCE player would never call the pistol OP...that's for damn sure.

Yeah I remember when Halo 2 was the black sheep (aka Halo 4) to many people I knew. I was actually quite angry about the changes they made going to Halo 2, but I grew to enjoy Halo 2 probably more in the end.

The things I miss the most about Halo CE is the perceived weight you felt...animations played a heavy role in that, although the gravity was extremely floaty in that game (it took place on Halo so I didn't mind). Halo CE felt appropriately slower, yet fast in regards to shooting. It was a neat blend that I don't see in games anymore. Most would probably say it feels antiquated, but I disagree. Just different.

Different strokes for different folks. It's not just about the pistol...and can we please refrain from calling it OP.

See...your post clearly shows you don't know a damn thing about Halo CE. Any valid HCE player would never call the pistol OP...that's for damn sure.

While I don't think it's as OP as people say, Bungie said themselves that the Halo magnum was wildly unbalanced and over powered. So, for anyone who says it's OP isn't an invalid player. They are taking the official stance of the original creators lol.

That's just condescending hyperbole. Stick it in the fridge and chill it brah.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
HaloGAF = where facts are not allowed to be called facts
;)

I always like to revert people to this article when people make bold claims like calling the HCE pistol OP:

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

"Playing to Win" is for people who are trying to win at games. It's not for people who aren't. For those people who are trying to win, they should make (tournament-legal) moves that help them win rather than moves that don't.

You wouldn't think that would be even slightly controversial, but somehow it is. Even though playing to win is the most important concept in competitive games, it's also widely misunderstood. Let's untangle that now.
The Scrub Mentality

"Scrub" is not a term I made up. It sounds like kind of a harsh term, but it's the one that was already in common usage in games to describe a certain type of player, and it made more sense to me to explain that rather than to coin a new term.

A scrub is not just a bad player. Everyone needs time to learn a game and get to a point where they know what they're doing. The scrub mentality is to be so shackled by self-imposed handicaps as to never have any hope of being truly good at a game. You can practice forever, but if you can't get over these common hangups, in a sense you've lost before you even started. You've lost before you even picked which game to play. You aren't playing to win.

A scrub would disagree with this though. They'd say they are trying very hard. The problem is they are only trying hard within a construct of fictitious rules that prevent them from ever truly competing.
"That's Cheap!"

Scrubs are likely to label a wide variety of moves and tactics as "cheap." For example, performing a throw in fighting games is often called cheap. A throw is a move that grabs an opponent and damages them even while they're defending against all other kinds of attacks. Throws exist specifically to allow you to damage opponents who block and don't attack.

As far as the game is concerned, throwing is an integral part of the design—it's meant to be there—yet scrubs construct their own set of principles that state they should be totally impervious to all attacks while blocking. Scrubs think of blocking as a kind of magic shield which will protect them indefinitely. Throwing violates the rules in their heads even though it doesn't violate any actual game rule.

A scrub would not throw their opponent 5 times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimize your chances of winning? It's "cheap," though, throwing is cheap. And it's not just throwing, it's also a long list of somewhat arbitrary maneuvers. If you keep a scrub away from you by zoning them with projectile attacks, you'll probably be called cheap. If you do one move over and over, that's cheap. If you get a lead, then do nothing for 30 seconds so that you can win by time-out, that's cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap.

Let's specifically consider the case where you do one move over and over. This goes right to the heart of the matter: why can the scrub not defeat something so obvious and telegraphed as a single move done over and over? Are they such a poor player that they can't counter that move? And if the move is, for whatever reason, extremely difficult to counter, then wouldn't you be a fool for not using that move? The first step in becoming a top player is the realization that playing to win means doing whatever most increases your chances of winning. The game knows no rules of "honor" or of "cheapness." The game only knows winning and losing.
"It's Not Fun To Play That Way"

This might be true, or it might not be, depending on the game. The scrub mentality is to make this claim for basically all games though so beware of that.

Some games don't hold up to high-level play. That's sloppy design in my opinion. A solid game holds up to experts playing it as hard as they can against each other. That way, the game can be fun for beginners and experts.

When a game doesn't hold up to expert play, it's degenerate in some way. There's only one good move or one good character, or one good strategy, or something like that. The game offers what appears to be a lot of fun options, but you don't actually get to do those fun options against experts, even if you are an expert too. So for this type of game, playing to win really will make it less fun, but that's not a problem with the players who are doing their best; it's a problem with the game. I wouldn't fault players here or complain to them that they are playing in a boring way. I'd complain to the game developer or play a different game.

There are plenty of games that become more fun as you get better at them, rather than less fun. With a good game, getting better and better at it reveals more and more depth to you, rather than exposing the game's shallowness. Games like Street Fighter or StarCraft are like this. My own games are also all designed for competition.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
While I don't think it's as OP as people say, Bungie said themselves that the Halo magnum was wildly unbalanced and over powered. So, for anyone who says it's OP isn't an invalid player. They are taking the official stance of the original creators lol.

Your word against mine...I've heard differently that the HCE pistol was intended as designed by John Howard. So yeah...there.

I even think someone in this thread the other day pasted a conversation from some old Bungie guy who said the pistol was intended to do what it did.

You must not have been around back then if you think everything Bungie said was valid.

IHaveIce

Banned

How will you cope with 3 Halo games without Sprint and the old slowish animations for walking?

His concerns are the ones of a Halo CE fan, so they are legit and I understand them, though I don't put much weight into it for myself

Top Bottom