• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Ramirez

Different strokes for different folks. It's not just about the pistol...and can we please refrain from calling it OP.

See...your post clearly shows you don't know a damn thing about Halo CE. Any valid HCE player would never call the pistol OP...that's for damn sure.

lol, jesus.

*watches video properly on pc instead of phone, comes onto GAF*

"Guys what's with the med..ah"

Yeah, they super stand out. That slide animation is so not necessary.

Dear God did I walk into a mini shitstorm.

CE looks good. Iffy about the PC version being the basis for MP but I'm confident there will be enough changes under the hood to make it work.

Sephzilla

You called the Sirlin site a tryhard site...what's not to understand...

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

lol, jesus.
The way he said it was harsh, but the content is truth. Shit, he's a lot kinder than the monkey shit fights you guys start over Halo 4.. that's for damn sure lol.

Honestly though, not interested in reliving those debates/arguments, but Bungie is composed of very intelligent people and they're masters at marketing. 10+ years later gamers are starting to look back and compare similarities between how they handled Halo and how they've been handling Destiny.

As much as I appreciate Bungie as a studio in this industry, you can't and more importantly shouldn't blindly accept what developers feed you about their games.

FyreWulff

Also, I imagine the shaders are just something nobody is ever given the time or care to fix.

Much like how every RE4 port outside of the GameCube/Wii keeps not having the wet/shiny effects on anything because nobody wants to port effects the GameCube did natively.

BigShow36

I'm not interested in rehashing the Halo CE pistol debate. It's an argument of ignorance vs. experience, and it simply can't be "won." That was, however, one reason I was excited for the MCC. It was a chance to lay all of that to rest and play the game you wanted.

I was excited for a chance to play unadulterated Halo CE online as I was originally told. Now it's Halo PC, and I'm not excited, so I'm posting about it.

Sephzilla

Having played both PC did feel different but to me it was mainly due to the controls.

Yeah, the controls were the only real difference I noticed when I played Halo PC. The physics did feel a tad lighter, but it was nothing that really broke the feel of the game or anything.

Your word against mine...I've heard differently that the HCE pistol was intended as designed by John Howard. So yeah...there.

I even think someone in this thread the other day pasted a conversation from some old Bungie guy who said the pistol was intended to do what it did.

Of course it was "intended." It was intended to be that way at the time. They programmed it to be that way, but you can find articles all over the place and quotes that says they think the Halo 1 3 shot pistol was OP.

Example where it's admitted to be unbalanced or overpowered:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/8/450...ays-hes-to-blame-for-halos-overpowered-pistol

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...ny-creator-jason-jones-breaks-11-year-silence

Even the Halo 2 developer commentary mentions that the Pistol was overpowered. They made a joke about how the covenant had a special mission that removed the Halo 1 pistols from the UNSC because it was "too powerful."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBi_xx26ClM

I LOVE the CE pistol, so I don't care. Just saying man, no need to bark at people who think otherwise.

I'm not interested in rehashing the Halo CE pistol debate. It's an argument of ignorance vs. experience, and it simply can't be "won." That was, however, one reason I was excited for the MCC. It was a chance to lay all of that to rest and play the game you wanted.

I was excited for a chance to play unadulterated Halo CE online as I was originally told. Now it's Halo PC, and I'm not excited, so I'm posting about it.
CE fans are like sexy, mature lions in a pack of hyenas (the rest of Halo fans).

The dominance, transparency, no bullshittery, etc. of this post turn me on.

BigShow36

Of course it was "intended." It was intended to be that way at the time. They programmed it to be that way, but you can find articles all over the place and quotes that says they think the Halo 1 3 shot pistol was OP.

"They" are usually employees of the Bungie who slowly destroyed Halo through their ideas of "balance," so... yeah.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
The way he said it was harsh, but the content is truth. Shit, he's a lot kinder than the monkey shit fights you guys start over Halo 4.. that's for damn sure lol.

Honestly though, not interested in reliving those debates/arguments, but Bungie is composed of very intelligent people and they're masters at marketing. 10+ years later gamers are starting to look back and compare similarities between how they handled Halo and how they've been handling Destiny.

As much as I appreciate Bungie as a studio in this industry, you can't and more importantly shouldn't blindly accept what developers feed you about their games.

There's obviously two camps when it comes to Halo. There's the HCE camp, and then there's everything else but HCE camp. Your Bnetters were blind loyalists to Bungie and when some Bungie staff guy by the name of Achronos on their forums made posts like "The HCE pistol was OP", everyone in unison gathered arms and rallied around this logic.

Scrubs like to easily claim things are broken/overpowered when they are no good at the respective game they're playing.

I lived through this during the Street Fighter 2 arcade days back in the 90s..."stop spamming fireballs...you're so cheap, you don't know how to do anything else..." blah blah blah.

When it comes to Halo though, it will always be the HCE vets vs everyone else. It happens in Counter-strike...there are 1.6 till the day they die players...then there are the global offensive crowd. Starcraft, Quake, they all have them. Just have to learn to live with it.

Fortunately for those players though, they get to always go back to their respective game and enjoy it online...Halo CE players haven't gotten that chance up till now.

Going forward...there's nothing to complain about when it comes to Halo. We have Halo CE on Xbox Live. So really there's nothing to discuss.

Sephzilla

There's obviously two camps when it comes to Halo. There's the HCE camp, and then there's everything else but HCE camp. Your Bnetters were blind loyalists to Bungie and when some Bungie staff guy by the name of Achronos on their forums made posts like "The HCE pistol was OP", everyone in unison gathered arms and rallied around this logic.

Scrubs like to easily claim things are broken/overpowered when they are no good at the respective game they're playing.

I lived through this during the Street Fighter 2 arcade days back in the 90s..."stop spamming fireballs...you're so cheap, you don't know how to do anything else..." blah blah blah.

When it comes to Halo though, it will always be the HCE vets vs everyone else. It happens in Counter-strike...there are 1.6 till the day they die players...then there are the global offensive crowd. Starcraft, Quake, they all have them. Just have to learn to live with it.

Fortunately for those players though, they get to always go back to their respective game and enjoy it online...Halo CE players haven't gotten that chance up till now.

Going forward...there's nothing to complain about when it comes to Halo. We have Halo CE on Xbox Live. So really there's nothing to discuss.

Wow, could you cram any more elitism into this post? You pretty much said that anyone who doesn't agree with you is below you.

DJ Gunner

But for it to be truly that experience, you'd have 480p 30fps with OG xbox controllers and a netcode that could replicate LAN.

Even if they had scrapped the PC port and built this from OG CE, I'd wager it would still feel different due to all the other "modernization" changes.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Example where it's admitted to be unbalanced or overpowered:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/8/450...ays-hes-to-blame-for-halos-overpowered-pistol

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...ny-creator-jason-jones-breaks-11-year-silence

Even the Halo 2 developer commentary mentions that the Pistol was overpowered. They made a joke about how the covenant had a special mission that removed the Halo 1 pistols from the UNSC because it was "too powerful."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBi_xx26ClM

I LOVE the CE pistol, so I don't care. Just saying man, no need to bark at people who think otherwise.

I'm not seeing/reading where Jason Jones admits the pistol is over powered. I read that he "wanted" it that way for a reason, that reason being balance.

"They" are usually employees of the Bungie who slowly destroyed Halo through their ideas of "balance," so... yeah.

That wasn't my point. Above posters were being demeaning to those who think it's OP. I was providing evidence that when the company that made the game says they think it's OP it's not entirely unreasonable to agree with the original creators.

I like the CE pistol and want it's return. I mentioned a few pages earlier I want it to be a power weapon of sorts and still 3 shot people.

Forums are so hard to communicate. Always turns into pointless arguments and condescending attitudes.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Wow, could you cram any more elitism into this post? You pretty much said that anyone who doesn't agree with you is below you.

How am I being an elitist by saying I disagree with scrub mentality? I'm all for discussions, but the moment a scrub enters the conversation...it really doesn't go anywhere.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think there are more than two camps. There are CE....2....3....hell even ODST camps. Don't presume to label everyone.

I call it two...HCE and then everyone else. lol.

CS
1.6 vs everyone else

Quake
Quakeworld vs everyone else

Battlefield
Battlefield 1942 or BF2 vs everyone else (can't really nail it down if it's BF2 or 1942 that BF fans prefer)

Call of Duty
COD 4 vs everyone else (the old vets of COD1 and COD2 are pretty much extinct)

Starcraft
Brood War vs everyone else

Sephzilla

How am I being an elitist by saying I disagree with scrub mentality? I'm all for discussions, but the moment a scrub enters the conversation...it really doesn't go anywhere.

You pretty much just sat here and said that anyone who doesn't agree with you is part of scrub mentality. And you're telling me you're not being elitist.

conl1Ku.gif

Deception

Halo CE pistol debates, Bungie.net references, BR vs. AR, cries of elitism.

Now it really does feel like Halo.

No, we get Halo PC online.

#WeBack

If I remember correctly didn't someone from 343 say they are using bits and pieces of OG CE and CE PC together? So while it may on the surface look like CE PC it could still play like OG CE.

Idk I'm a scrub anyway my opinion doesn't matter.

Assuming people are scrubs by a viewpoint on a single weapon in a game IS elitism. It's silly, petty, immature, and unkind.

Also, you deny the fact that those articles I provided above mention that the Halo CE pistol is not where they wanted it to be and therefore changed it in future games and never gave it a return. You have rose colored glasses my friend. I want it to return, but many don't including the designers for reasons they have expressed. I don't see what the problem is. I'll kindly excuse myself from the rest of this discussion. Don't want to foster negativity here. NeoGaf is bad enough as it is.

Tawpgun

Well there are some differences that make it understandable if you are pretty hardcore fan. That like a huge Fireight fan then getting Spartan Ops.
Wat

Firefight is mechanically different that spops.

This is like complaining you're not getting the real experience because it doesn't look like the bone version.

I need to see some receipts on the physics being different. Having played hog wars on both versions I can say the hogs flew the same way.

Why is it elitist if it's the truth? He's merely making an accurate observation of how these communities are, and I think anyone part of those communities that has been around for as long as he has would be inclined to agree.

His post was 100% spot on IMO. It's not a matter of comparing dick sizes, it's just describing what's painfully obvious to many people. Were you around Bungie's forums during Halo 3? Remember how people were clamoring for a BR nerf? Yeah, that was a lot of people while the minority was asking for a single shot, precision rifle over the deliberately inconsistent BR we had for 6 years.
Well there are some differences that make it understandable if you are pretty hardcore fan. That like a huge Fireight fan then getting Spartan Ops.
I really don't get why people act this way whenever CE fans criticize CE lol.. There's a ton of criticizing going on with the other Halo games, but the people who actually know CE can't make a few comments expressing their concern without having several people call them elitists or that they're overreacting lol when they weren't flinging turds around to begin with.
That wasn't my point. Above posters were being demeaning to those who think it's OP. I was providing evidence that when the company that made the game says they think it's OP it's not entirely unreasonable to agree with the original creators.
And there's more than enough evidence to discredit (sounds harsher than I intend) Bungie's opinion on the matter.

EDIT:
lions vs hyenas
tumblr_lpgmaehlKA1r0ojhto1_500.gif

Wat

Firefight is mechanically different that spops.

This is like complaining you're not getting the real experience because it doesn't look like the bone version.

I need to see some receipts on the physics being different. Having played hog wars on both versions I can say the hogs flew the same way.

GoatRope (a popular and renown Halo CE speedrunner) said that Halo PC mainly looks different, but the physics are the same. He has said the reason why Halo PC feels lighter sometimes is because of mouse movement. It's just easier to spin around faster, such as whipping a warthog around etc.

EDIT: He uses the PC version to do speed runs for that reason.

I do feel like this is overblown here without official answers or play time. I agree though that the PC version/Halo CE Anniversary "classic" version didn't look as good, as shown above by a few other posters.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Different strokes for different folks. It's not just about the pistol...and can we please refrain from calling it OP.

See...your post clearly shows you don't know a damn thing about Halo CE. Any valid HCE player would never call the pistol OP...that's for damn sure.

Easy there, I've played quite a bit of CE in my day. It's the game that got me into a deeper level of gaming. My OP comment stems from the fact that the sniper is really the only gun that can counter the pistol at range. If you look at the Halo 2 or 3 sandbox they equalize guns; BR to Carbine, etc. When you only have one gun that can cross-map kill aside from a sniper with a smaller bullet count, I see that as unbalanced and a bit OP.

Different strokes though, right? :)

How will you cope with 3 Halo games without Sprint and the old slowish animations for walking?

His concerns are the ones of a Halo CE fan, so they are legit and I understand them, though I don't put much weight into it for myself

I will cope the same way I did before Reach came out, by playing a ton of Halo. I still think it'll be an odd switch going back to a game that appears to have slower movement, but it should be like riding a bike, right?

LMAO
The Lions vs hyena bit.
lmfao pretty accurate if I may say so myself

-tips hat, adjusts monocle-
Easy there, I've played quite a bit of CE in my day. It's the game that got me into a deeper level of gaming. My OP comment stems from the fact that the sniper is really the only gun that can counter the pistol at range. If you look at the Halo 2 or 3 sandbox they equalize guns; BR to Carbine, etc. When you only have one gun that can cross-map kill aside from a sniper with a smaller bullet count, I see that as unbalanced and a bit OP.

Different strokes though, right? :)
Oh really Deadly? Tell me, what other weapon in CE's sandbox would you like to combat the Sniper.. You know, with all the midrange weapons in CE's arsenal.

Pretty bizarre how people still try to pose this argument after being beaten to death over the years how CE's sandbox was very limited and how every gun was useful (except the Needler).

While I understand that the CE pistol wasn't OP in the conventional sense (as in, game-breaking), it was better than most of the non-power weapons in the game outside of their significant niche which is... a different sort of balanced, I suppose. Like, there's one weapon you always use, and then a bunch of weapons you sometimes use. It worked.

However, the elitism from the CE purists is nauseating. Seriously, guys, pull your heads out of your ass.

Karl2177

There's a huge difference between completely changing a game mode and "the physics are slightly lighter".

Top Bottom