• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

JoeDanny

Over 84 days of playtime, 13,491 matches, and 45,779 kills across Halo 2, 3, Reach, and 4

Get on my level scrubadubdubs

Okay...I'm mesmerized. Gonna watch it about 10 more times. I can only get the IGN player to play it in 720p compressed, but seeing it on the TV...

DAYUM.

Did the medals really pop up like that in CE multiplayer? Is it a PC thing? I don't recall seeing them on Xbox

They were added in with the universal medal scheme across all games. =)

Havok

Yep, basically confirmed that it's based on the PC version - reflections and transparencies are just a little off in the same way, and it's got the objective mode icon in the corner. I wonder if that netcode was touched at all.

Did the medals really pop up like that in CE multiplayer? Is it a PC thing? I don't recall seeing them on Xbox

No. I believe there is a unified medal system across games that can be toggled on/off. If toggled off, you'll see the original medals/icons for that game as you remember them.

To those that can't see the ign vid, I uploaded the video to my youtube.

But when you get the chance, watch the 60 fps goodness. Skip to 56 seconds for MP part.

I'll take it down if 343 asks me to though.

Ramirez

Those medals look so out of place/don't match the game. Looks good, but I still don't have much hope in the lag department.

Yep, basically confirmed that it's based on the PC version - reflections and transparencies are just a little off in the same way, and it's got the objective mode icon in the corner. I wonder if that netcode was touched at all.

Well, it's on dedicated servers, so it would have to be changed, right?

Mix

Over 84 days of playtime, 13,491 matches, and 45,779 kills across Halo 2, 3, Reach, and 4

22 days, 4,181 matches, and 39,467 kills. But, there was about two years when we lived out in the middle of nowhere Texas and had no internet so that's why my stats are a little low.

Added in with medal system for MCC.

Well, it's on dedicated servers, so it would have to be changed, right?

I thought only the hosting would change. So instead of finding a player to host, it just always has a server to host. I wouldn't think much more than that would be required to change?

ElRenoRaven

Finally got it watched. God I'm in heaven. Just give me halo 1,2,3 all online with controller support and voice chat and I'm in heaven. That's what I'm getting with this and I am in heaven.

Stinkles..anyone...

Is proximity chat re-implemented? Meaning you can hear and talk to your enemy within a certain proximity to you?

cuz it's DUH BEST.

uwdanman

Neo Member
Video was great. I would like to know though how it feels? Are the aiming and control more similar to PC version or xbox? Wish IGN could have included some input on their playing experience with this preview. Maybe they will update later today :)

Ramirez

Medals can be turned off; you'll still earn them, but you can prevent them from showing up in-game.

Not really my point. It's a minor thing, but I just vastly prefer the big, unique medals to 30 small ones that look similar. Cut the fat, you don't need to be rewarded for every weapon type, etc.

Tawpgun

Not really my point. It's a minor thing, but I just vastly prefer the big, unique medals to 30 small ones that look similar. Cut the fat, you don't need to be rewarded for every weapon type, etc.

ding ding

I'm also worried about the netcode, have they addressed that yet? It was so shitty in Halo PC that anyone who played Halo PC online competitively equated being able to look at your ping and know how much to lead players to skill.

It wasn't Halo 3 leading shots either it was like a full spartan or two width lead. Most of our clan matches when I played Halo PC were snipers on Blood Gulch lol. Sometimes Snipers No Shields.

Karl2177

I like what I saw and it built up a lot of excitement, but the critical part of me must respond.

An added quirk about the Halo 3(and beyond) medals was that they were all on a single row and that the maximum amount of medals was equal to the width of the kill feed. This was to show you the most recent, relevant medals. The image below completely counters that. It looks like it will keep adding medals below older ones instead of pushing them out. I hope there is a test case where someone lines up 15 people and snipes through all of them to show that this will more than likely break the medal feed.
EmN5O7A.png

In addition to that, the medals aren't descriptive enough to tell me what is what. I can tell the first medal is a grenade kill. Second one, I don't know. Third, I don't know. Fourth is a double kill. Fifth is the same as the third. Sixth is a Killing Spree. Seven is Triple Kill. Eight is Extermination(I think). And I have no idea what the last three are. In addition to the medal feed, is it possible to get a Medal text feed? This would alleviate a bit of that issue.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the SAW. I'm a fan of heavy machine gun power weapons in general (it's my heavy of choice in Destiny as well). You can just carelessly spray lead death all over your enemies with nary a concern for headshots or reloading. It's like a glorious release from the confines of ARs or BRs.
Yeah, I'm with you, I love weapons like that. The SAW was WAYYYYY too effective at range, though.

It's glorious. :'-)

Mix

Also, notice how there aren't hitmarkers and grenade indicators. Yay!!!!

;)

it was never even a question. Had anyone at 343 even mentioned adding something like that to the game, they would've been booted.

Then again, they did add the bland medals. Thank god they're togglable. It's one thing to have the medals and a description next to them like Halo 2A multi, but to just show the images of medals that all look far too similar? It's a shame 343 won't just revert back to the original good medals we all loved so much.

ding ding

I'm also worried about the netcode, have they addressed that yet? It was so shitty in Halo PC that anyone who played Halo PC online competitively equated being able to look at your ping and know how much to lead players to skill.

It wasn't Halo 3 leading shots either it was like a full spartan or two width lead. Most of our clan matches when I played Halo PC were snipers on Blood Gulch lol. Sometimes Snipers No Shields.

Given the main premise of this game is ALL DA MULTIPLAYER I think it's safe to say that the netcode has been streamlined across the titles.

uwdanman

Neo Member
EmN5O7A.png

In addition to that, the medals aren't descriptive enough to tell me what is what. I can tell the first medal is a grenade kill. Second one, I don't know. Third, I don't know. Fourth is a double kill. Fifth is the same as the third. Sixth is a Killing Spree. Seven is Triple Kill. Eight is Extermination(I think). And I have no idea what the last three are. In addition to the medal feed, is it possible to get a Medal text feed? This would alleviate a bit of that issue.

Wow, look at that screen real estate! Wish the medals were closer together (heck you could tighten them up and make them bigger even). I likely won't play with medals on, but if I do I also back your claim of not knowing what they mean. Time will tell.

I wonder if you can also turn off on screen text.

Increase the splash from the Railgun? Lol.

Increase the actual blast radius / splash, but not the splash damage. The current amount of splash damage (let's say x damage over an area of y) would be evenly distributed across the increased blast radius, meaning the average splash damage taken would be reduced, direct hits notwithstanding. However, the knockback (the outright movement / push effect, not the hit-point damage infliction itself) would be increased over the blast radius, meaning it'd be good for tossing around Warthogs or other light reconnaissance vehicles without outright destroying them, as well. Direct hits would still be instakills, allowing the Railgun to serve a dual-purpose role as an infantry killer and a vehicle harassment or movement infringement device without getting into an outright vehicle-destroyer role. Keep in mind that in this minimalist sandbox setup, there's no Halo 3 Brute Shot / Reach or 4 Concussion Rifle weapon in the sandbox, and the Railgun is intended to adopt that role, with the "self-blasting" elements of trick-jumping, etc. given to the Vector Grenades.

it was never even a question. Had anyone at 343 even mentioned adding something like that to the game, they would've been booted.

Then again, they did add the bland medals. Thank god they're togglable. It's one thing to have the medals and a description next to them like Halo 2A multi, but to just show the images of medals that all look far too similar? It's a shame 343 won't just revert back to the original good medals we all loved so much.

I know it wasn't a question, but they decided to add it in H2A. Not starting a flame war, just think it's interesting (in my book, annoying) how well these 3 games work without it and they add it to H2A.

In regards to medals, I do like how they don't take so much of the screen and are more discrete. I don't mind that. To me the announcer is what made things interesting, not the look of the medal. I don't have time to stare at the medal and admire it during the heat of battle.

I like what I saw and it built up a lot of excitement, but the critical part of me must respond.

An added quirk about the Halo 3(and beyond) medals was that they were all on a single row and that the maximum amount of medals was equal to the width of the kill feed. This was to show you the most recent, relevant medals. The image below completely counters that. It looks like it will keep adding medals below older ones instead of pushing them out. I hope there is a test case where someone lines up 15 people and snipes through all of them to show that this will more than likely break the medal feed.
EmN5O7A.png

Great catch. I understand this is a minor thing and customisable but how can one look at that image and think it superior to the medal perimeter from 2/3/Reach?

That part of the UI looks as though it's been plucked from a Red Faction offshoot tier game and slapped all over CE's taut functionality like a cheap dollop of mayo on a fillet steak.

dwells

How'd you get your playtime for H2 and H3? I didn't see a way on the Waypoint site for H2, and that was the one thing I was interested in. I remember trying to do an estimate back in the day and it came out to something like 90 days of playtime in Halo 2 across all my accounts.

EmN5O7A.png

There's definitely a major signal-to-noise ratio issue there with the medals. They're distracting and take up a ton of screen real estate without really offering much.

I don't see why they didn't just go with Halo 2's method of incorporating small medals into the kill feed, I thought that was pretty unobtrusive and got the message across:

Double%2520kill%2520with%2520one%2520grenade.jpg

dwells

On a side note, I wish we could get some direct feed gameplay screenshots - the compression on the IGN videos makes it impossible to see what the image quality is like. It's a shame there's only one or two gaming sites that actually care about that sort of thing.

Top Bottom